Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waltwood
    • Dec 2011

Re: Building Another Barge?

I made the skeg using some Angelique I had laying around. I pre-bored and countersunk the holes in the shop so I could get them right. I coated them with epoxy and then a primer that was compatible.
    We used a layout stick under the boat to make sure the bolts would not hit floors and limber holes and the nuts would be acceptable to tighten. It took a half hour to find a location that would work. Then from underneath the boat we drilled through the center of the outer stringer. Next I marked the centerline of the boat and snapped a chalkline. I measured from this line to the hole in the boat to get a parallel line for the skegs. I snapped 2 more lines that are the center of the skeggs. Next I dropped a bolt through the skeg into the one hole in the bottom and that gave me the fore and aft orientation of the skeg. Aligning it with the chalkline and drilling the other 5 bolt holes. I applied 5200 and bolted them with my helper underneath with a wrench.

Comment

• waltwood
      • Dec 2011

It is pretty easy to strike a waterline on a flat-bottom boat. I made this marking jig. All hull painting done. The topside has 4 coats of paint and the bottom 3. Next we removed all of the fasteners that temporarily attached the hull frame to the building jig and the temporary frames. There were many. All of the upside down work is completed! The crane is scheduled to flip it over next week.

Comment

• waltwood
        • Dec 2011

I called four different people about flipping the boat over and only one responded or was willing to do it. I am glad it worked out the way it did because the guy who did the job was great. He was very careful and took his time.
        It went okay, it could have been worse. It rotated when it was at its most vertical point and hit the building jig. I should have had a tagline at the bow. you can't think of everything. One frame is split but it may have been caused by a warped crosspall.

Crane guy Jerry, very accommodating and careful.

This is how we rigged it.

Lifting slowly and gently.

Had to put the camera down at this point. Too much to attend to.

Boat upright and almost intact!
        Last edited by waltwood; 09-09-2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Figment
          Gluten Enthusiast
          • Dec 2001

Looks like you did an admirable job with the fairing.
          People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• waltwood
            • Dec 2011

I had outside help with the fairing.

Comment

• amish rob
              Emperor For Life
              • Mar 2010

Your boat looks AMAZING! I have a real fondness for barge/scows, though, so I may be biased.

I like the picture with the arm sticking out from below. Funny.

Take some time to admire and enjoy your hard work now that you can see it. Fantastic and inspirational.

Peace,
              Robert

Comment

• waltwood
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amish rob
                Your boat looks AMAZING! I have a real fondness for barge/scows, though, so I may be biased.

I like the picture with the arm sticking out from below. Funny.

Take some time to admire and enjoy your hard work now that you can see it. Fantastic and inspirational.

Peace,
                Robert
                Thanks, you are right. I just keep gettin' it. I need to slow down.

Comment

• amish rob
                  Emperor For Life
                  • Mar 2010

Not too much time. Still, remind yourself for a few moments that all that hard work made something awfully nice to look at. Then get back to going whole hog so you can get to relaxing on her, proper like.

Really, this is inspiring. That's a big bite to chew and swallow, and you are doing an admirable job.

Peace,
                  Robert

Comment

• Figment
                    Gluten Enthusiast
                    • Dec 2001

Originally posted by waltwood
                    I had outside help with the fairing.
                    Well cheers to them, then! All of those huge flat surfaces looked like a fairing nightmare. Give me some nice forgiving curves anyday.
                    People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• waltwood
                      • Dec 2011

There is more.

I still think my building jig was clever. It had to hold a 3600 lb. boat at the correct height and not be in the way.

Crew #2 showed up and moved the boat back in the bowshed the same day. This is my son.

Back in the building dry again. I changed directions. The bow is facing out now for when it is moved out the final time.

Transom is imposing back in the bowshed.
                      Last edited by waltwood; 09-09-2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Breakaway
                        • Mar 2007

Well done, Walt. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed looking and learned a few things .

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                        There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• nedL
                          Senior Member #1976
                          • Jul 2000

That is impressive! Great job, and yep those big flat surfaces must not have been fun. But then again, you did such a good job with the build underneath that it might have been just about perfect with just the glass, ....... but only you know

Comment

• waltwood
                            • Dec 2011

Thanks. My ply hull was smooth but after 'glassing it was very wavy. Much fairing was needed.

Comment

• capehorn3
                              • Jan 2016

Looks great! What did you hook the straps to for the flip, that's a lot of weight for two attachment points?

Comment

• waltwood
                                • Dec 2011

I had 3 2 x 6 crosspalls bolted to the frames. the straps were looped around 2 of them. I was very concerned about them pulling loose. I wanted to do 3 but could not figure out how to get equal pressure on 3.

Comment

Working...