Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3121314 LastLast

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

I am good at installing wood siding on houses. I used to only work on wood houses,not plastic ones. I worked on historic homes and did reproductions of old houses and additions. I really liked that. Anyway, I put siding on enough crooked and out-of-level houses but laying out the siding on the houseboat still challenged me. The forward part of the cabin is shorter than the stern and a tapered piece of siding at the bottom looks bad. I made the siding exposure greater at the stern than the bow. It was like lining off planks on a hull but probably easier. This will either look good or not. That was not the hard part. The cabin is curved and I can't pop a chalkline to mark the bottom of each piece. Here is what I did for layout. I used a wide enough layout piece to see around the curve if you will. I still have to mark all sides of all windows with a square off my stringline. Confusing? I used a masons line block at the stern cornerboard and a knot in the string set in the saw kerf at the bow. The siding is WRC using the rough side out. On the first piece of siding I am holding it 1 inch above the deck to prevent rot. I am using a starter strip and gluing it to the first piece of siding instead of nailing it to the wall and piercing the fiberglass at the bottom of the cabin. I think this method will keep water out. If a wave comes to the bottom of the side windows it will leak but I am going to avoid such conditions.

The right piece is the back and the other 2 front

Cornerboard extender used for layout

Line block and my Mahogany string holder I have been using for 30 years. When people see it on the job they seem to like it.

Amount of curve in the side of cabin wall. String is tight to the wall on the aft 10 feet.

Two rows installed. The narrower exposure is at the bow but that is hard to detect from this photo.

Wow! Looks great. Quite a project.

Check out this build! I had several people tell me about this houseboat project in Wachapreague,Va. so I looked at it today. I think it is really cool. It is an aluminum hull and wood construction for the house. Naysayers are saying it will fall over but it was blowing 25 knots on the beam and it was barely rolling. Very stable platform.

I don't think it would be wind that would take'er over. I think some spaced out rollers would. I don't think she'll be out in that kind of weather tho.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

I think either one could. I built a houseboat 20 years ago and the roof was too heavy and wind was its enemy.
    It is a nice space isn't it?

I've always wondered what sort of ballasting systems are built into housebarges like that.

Is it something dynamic/pumpable liquid, or is it more like lead pigs or stone pavers or something like that?
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Think I would be nervous in that beautiful craft on open water, but it would sure make a nice houseboat!

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I've always wondered what sort of ballasting systems are built into housebarges like that.

Is it something dynamic/pumpable liquid, or is it more like lead pigs or stone pavers or something like that?
    This was another boat and they removed the house and built this. I don't know if it has any ballast system or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post

The ones I have seen similar to that are on lakes. The lower hull usually contains things like large tankage for black/gray/fresh water, fuel, and other systems including the electrical. Most, if not all, of the boat's systems are hidden in the lower hull to give the feeling that one is in an actual house and not on a boat. The builders are genious at hiding stuff in the hull to keep weight low in the hull. They're also not moved much if at all. A lot of people build these things to try and skip out on some taxes in certain areas of the US, or so I'm told. $300k houseboat, no taxes, $300K house, $10,000 a year in taxes.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Siding completed.

Stern deck makes a nice tool shelf.

That siding works well.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I've been working on the console for the last week. I've done a couple of mock ups and I built a filler section so that the console can be higher than the front window and would not have to follow the contour of the front wall. This is a photo of the completed filler.

The exterior is almost complete except for the bow windows. The siding and trim has all been painted 3 coats.

I might have said this before but the Advantech roof sheathing is not the floor I am using in the cabin. It is temporary and keeps us from stumbling over the bottom framing. The floor will be 1/2" or 5/8" BC UDL pine plywood.. We get some first class units from my building supply. Mostly clear, no defects.

Looking great Walt. Curious why you didn't use siding in front of first side window?

This build was one of my fav's on this forum. She is starting to have a soul to match her character with some fine curved and swerves (a sexy barge that suppose to look like a **** brick house, lol) ... Can't wait till ya take the wine to her. I hope you and your family are safe and clan steady through these times!

Quote Originally Posted by capehorn3 View Post
    Looking great Walt. Curious why you didn't use siding in front of first side window?
    The port and starboard forward side windows are in different locations. The starboard side is placed more forward to coincide with the steering station. It was only a 7" space between the cornerboard and window trim. It is where the cabin has the most curve so I did not think the short pieces of siding would work so I put a vertical section of Azek in that area. I did ask my helper to paint it the siding color and it ended up white. This is the port side.

Thanks Banji, appreciate the kind words!

She grows lovelier by the day, Walt. Nice color choices!

Thanks Bill.

I have stated that I built as much of the sole in my shop as possible. I can work on it at a comfortable height, have climate control and more room. This is the third test fit to drill the drain holes through the transom. I didn't want to guess at that or do it based on measurements. I am pleased with the fit.

Inside of cabin like I have not seen it in a long while. All of the temporary floor removed.

Such a spacious cabin! There's even room for a pool table.

My favorite upper decks thread.
    Outstanding, Walt!

Yes, Walt. Just know we are watching and loving the thread and boat.

Peacr,
    Robert

Three coats of paint on the front cabin wall. I like it. It feels like the finished product. I have wanted to install the bow windows for months to see how they look but I realize how nice it is to have the whole house fan blowing cool air through the boat. It is almost mid summer when working in the bow shed can be challenging. The bow windows would block the air flow. Also they could get damaged at this phase of construction.

Bow cleats! I love putting on hardware.

Two coats of penetrating epoxy in bilge. It is the first time I have used it and I like it. We cut the first coat 75% to resin and second coat uncut.

More steps closer to seeing her on the water!

We are starting to put down the permanent cabin floor. It all needs to come up again for various reasons but it is the final product.

My first bilge pump install. I have delved into learning DC wiring. I thought I knew nothing about it but I knew more than I thought. I watched 6 videos produced by Off Center Harbor and they were helpful. I know how to do everything for the electrical but I don't know where it goes. Does that make sense? I once did the plumbing in a house I built for myself after a friend made a simple drawing of where it all went. I need that with the electrical.

The cockpit sole is installed but no pic at this time.

Nice work Walt!

The electrical work was the least favorite part of my build, solely because I never had the proper crimp connector in my stock. Ughhh!

Quote Originally Posted by wollybugger View Post
    Nice work Walt!

The electrical work was the least favorite part of my build, solely because I never had the proper crimp connector in my stock. Ughhh!
    See, I was dreading it but as I am learning I am getting more enthusiastic.

the guys that built my boat trailer turned me onto WATERPROOF CRIMP ON BUTT CONNECTORS

they are made/covered w/ HEAT SHRINK material w/ a heat activated core that insulates the whole inside of the connector

https://www.amazon.com/MONOLIT-Elect...ire+connectors

5+ years on my trailer that gets dunked in fresh & salt water w/o failure(YET)...

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I always crimp, then solder and then shrink wrap. Belt and suspenders I guess.

The cockpit is permanently installed and I am pleased with the final product. It is fastened in 2 directions in a grid pattern with 2 1/2" SS screws. It all gets 'glassed. I will put the drains in and figure how the cockpit will transition into the cabin and I am ready to 'glass. I just hope I didn't forget something that goes under it. Cabin floor down but it will all come up again for various things.

Nice, Walt.

I will put the drains in and figure how the cockpit will transition into the cabin and I am ready to 'glass.
    If you'll pardon me, I suggest a sill between cabin sole and cockpit sole. A tripping hazard--yes. But a safety feature and also makes hosing down he cockpit easier.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Yes I was going to do that but I had not figured it all out in relation to the door trim and hand. Thanks, Walt

Part of the reason I haven't made much progress on the houseboat is that we've been going out on our 18' Parker like we do each summer. When it's not rough out in the Bay we usually take a long trip. Last summer we did 2 trips that were each 70 miles and we logged 600 miles total. It's one of my favorite things to do. We go to a place called Watts Island which is a small island located about 5 miles in the Chesapeake Bay. I'm showing a picture of it. If you google it you can gets lots of history about it. We also went to Tangier Island which is more widely known and a big tourist attraction. There are 480 people that live on Tangier. I'm showing a picture of us entering the channel on the island and showing a workboat going out. Today was a beautiful day to be going out on the water. Barely any wind, not rough at all. We've had nothing but disappointments until today's trip. We've had to turn around probably 6 or 8 times already this season due to rough weather.

Summer is a tough time to build. I have the same bow roof shed as you and even with the fans running it's still in the 90's when the sun is out. Plus you want to take advantage of the nice weather to spend time with friends and families and engage in other maritime hobbies. Nice problems to have, but I got a lot more work done in the fall and spring.
    A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
    http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

Quote Originally Posted by scott2640 View Post
    Summer is a tough time to build. I have the same bow roof shed as you and even with the fans running it's still in the 90's when the sun is out. Plus you want to take advantage of the nice weather to spend time with friends and families and engage in other maritime hobbies. Nice problems to have, but I got a lot more work done in the fall and spring.
    I remember seeing the picture of your bowshed.
    Yes, I too get more work done off season. The winter has also been a good time for work in my building.
    Another distraction I have is taking care of my land I live on. Much more work to do in the summer.