Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011 LastLast

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

Quote Originally Posted by Al G View Post
    Nice! Should be better for insulation and condensation than ply, as well. Cozy!
    I never thought of the insulating value but it should provide about an R-6 to an R-8. That's great.

Very nice work, I'm am enjoying the updates.

I tried to get a friend doing a upper level on his house boat to use glass backed foam like this. Great weight saver and insulator.

I am going to show many pictures because I have been interested in building something with this material for sometime and maybe others have too.

Outer panels had more curve.

Weighting the panels down.

Panels coerced.

All panels completed
    Last edited by waltwood; 02-16-2017 at 03:16 PM.

ooooh, and leave it translucent like a UPS truck!
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    ooooh, and leave it translucent like a UPS truck!
    That is kinda neat but I think by the time we get the other layers it will be solid.

Installing dripedge on bottom of overhang. I had just finished cutting all of the panels to the contour of the cabin and radiused the corners. It was a tough job cutting 70 ft of panels 10 ft in the air. I usually set up scaffolding when I work over 8 ft high but there is not enough space in the bowshed to do that.

Radiused dripedge corners made with putty.

Full bow roof view

The weather outside during this last group of pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post

The weather outside during this last group of pictures!
    That makes the shed look even better, doesn't it? The barge is looking good.

Excellent use and execution of carbon core.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

that is a great use of composite!

Thanks and I also thought it was a good use for it. The last houseboat I built the roof was too heavy and I wanted to do better.

I have posted too many pictures of the roof construction but here it is completed except for paint.
    The edges were the hardest because several layers of mat had to be built up and wrapped around the drip edge and underside of overhang.
    Awful fumes and messy. Glad it is done!

Roof painted and done! Glad to get that part of the project finished.
    I don't post about everything I do but I am always ordering equipment or materials for the boat, planning or discussing future phases of the build with people that know stuff about boats. I am sort of treating this like a business. If I run out of materials or something to work on, it will take longer to complete. I took on this project with a strong commitment to keep it to a 12-18 month project, not including the interior. My plan has been to launch the boat and finish off the interior with it in the water. There are pros and cons to this. Being on the water is the pro side of it.
    The 8 house windows order came into Home Dept and I picked them up over the weekend. One window was broken so they had to order a replacement sash.

As usual Walt, solid, tight and attractive. You inspire me.

Looking good Walt! What sort of flashing arrangement do you plan on having over the windows?
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Looking good Walt! What sort of flashing arrangement do you plan on having over the windows?
    I was going to wrap the windows with Azek trim. I would use a flashing tape at the head and side of windows over the nailing flange onto the moisture barrier (I don't know what that will be yet). I should consider putting flashing over the head trim.

Decks prepped. They don't look smooth because of filler and various resin stains but they are. I continued to find areas that needed to be sanded and filled.

I used West epoxy with 10 oz cloth. I have done this many times before but I always study up before I do anything large like this. We filled the weave with one coat and wait until it gets hard enough to recoat in about 3 hours and applied 2 additional coats in one day.
    I posted about this before but since I never heard anyone else talk about it I'm going to tell it again. A couple years ago when talking with West they told me you could mix hardeners to further control the hardening times. I have gotten to be a master of this and its the only way I can do 3 coats a day with changing temperatures. I start off in the early morning with 80% fast hardener and 20% slow, mid day I'm about 50/50, and today even ended up with a mixture of extra slow and slow hardener. It is easy and fun once you get the hang of it. Let me strongly state I do not alter the ratios, I just vary the quantities of the various hardeners. We finished about 60' of deck today which was a grueling day. It turned out pretty good.

When I first read this, coffee came out of my nose. I thought you were altering the ratio of hardener to resin to affect cure time. After mopping up the coffee spill I re-read your post.

Thanks for that good tip on mixing West system hardeners, I didn't know that. (Nice decks, really nice "barge"!!! My first comment on your project, but I've been following along since your 1st post... enjoying very much and wanting my own copy of yours!)

Cheers,
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dsimonson View Post
    Thanks for that good tip on mixing West system hardeners, I didn't know that. (Nice decks, really nice "barge"!!! My first comment on your project, but I've been following along since your 1st post... enjoying very much and wanting my own copy of yours!)

Cheers,
    Dale
    Thanks a lot.I will try to keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    A couple years ago when talking with West they told me you could mix hardeners to further control the hardening times. I have gotten to be a master of this and its the only way I can do 3 coats a day with changing temperatures. I start off in the early morning with 80% fast hardener and 20% slow, mid day I'm about 50/50, and today even ended up with a mixture of extra slow and slow hardener. It is easy and fun once you get the hang of it.
    Yes I used to do the same thing with System Three.
    I kept track of my ratios and cure times and temperatures and developed a matrix to determine what blend of hardeners would get me to recoat or full-cure within a particular window of time. It started as idle/academic curiosity but over time it became really accurate and useful, but it was all just sharpie-marker on the wall of the shed, gone now.

So envious of this project.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Those shot of the front windows remind me of Tenner's build.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I am using Okume Marine ply for the cockpit sole. Wow! Sticker shock. It is good stuff though. Here I am using the Festool Track Saw to crosscut all 3 pieces at the same time. I really like this tool and I have probably done 50 projects with it. They are pricey but well designed.

The cockpit sole will slope toward the transom, be crowned slightly in the center at the transom and drain out 2 holes. To get this slope I had to plane the 3 x 10 floor down about 5/16" of an inch. A difficult job in places. This will all be covered with 10 oz cloth coated with epoxy. I am trying to do as much work out of the boat as possible.

A dry fit of the sole.

Great job Walt. This is like your Mona Lisa!!!

This thread has been an incredible journey. I feel like I am reading Harland Hubbard's "Shantyboat" all over again, but written by a master craftsman.

Quote Originally Posted by wollybugger View Post
    Great job Walt. This is like your Mona Lisa!!!
    Thanks. I guess it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Oregon View Post
    This thread has been an incredible journey. I feel like I am reading Harland Hubbard's "Shantyboat" all over again, but written by a master craftsman.
    I am not familiar with that book. Thanks for the reference to a master craftsman but I need to say not of boatbuilding. I am probably getting some laughs from professional boatbuilders.

Walt, "Shantyboat, a River Way of Life," is the most enchanting nonfiction book I have read in my 64 years. I stumbled across it after Woodenboat ran a feature on a shanty boat build referenced Harlan Hubbard and his amazing life. Why this book is not required reading in every school in the land is utterly beyond me.
    And as to professional boatbuilders laughing at you, I'd have to see it to believe it. Your material choices and joinery are meticulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Oregon View Post
    Walt, "Shantyboat, a River Way of Life," is the most enchanting nonfiction book I have read in my 64 years. I stumbled across it after Woodenboat ran a feature on a shanty boat build referenced Harlan Hubbard and his amazing life. Why this book is not required reading in every school in the land is utterly beyond me.
    And as to professional boatbuilders laughing at you, I'd have to see it to believe it. Your material choices and joinery are meticulous.
    Thanks again and I am going to look for the book!

I had a 27' boat that could not be moved by a conventional boat trailer so I designed and had a welder friend build a trailer. I designed it to haul a boat up to 30' in case I upsized. Because of its open design it had some flex. It worked good but this houseboat is at the upper end of the capacity so I had it modified. It will not be able to be driven under a V-bottom boat on the hard as it was originally used for but the houseboat beam is wide enough to add supports at the chine and drive under. You can tell the modifications by the unpainted steel.

Nice, Walt. Cool trailer.Looks like heft wall thickness, from what can be seen looking near the tailights.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Nice, Walt. Cool trailer.Looks like heft wall thickness, from what can be seen looking near the tailights.

Kevin
    Yes Kevin, it was built with 3/8 X 6 X 6 steel channels and it was pretty sturdy except at the aft end it had some slight movement. I think we corrected that.

All of the deck epoxy and glass completed!
    The section on the bow where it turned up in the front cabin wall was the hardest. The side and stern deck was some of my best epoxy work. Smooth as glass. It will get non-skid so maybe a moot point.

Love following along with this build. Thanks for taking the time to post so many great photos!

It is funny, I said to myself I was tired of posting about this project for the short term and then you get a nice comment like that and it inspires you to keep posting.