Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

Fantastic. Congrats on the launch.
    -Dave

Congratulations on the launch!
    Looks great.

Beautiful. Launching is a big reward after all the work that went into it.

Egbert

Walt, congratulations on an ambitious project brought to fruition! You will have many hours of pleasure poking into all those Eastern Shore creeks.

Here is a poor copy of a copy of a 1934 photo of the Harborton waterfront, taken from the present boat ramp area. Chelsea of the short-lived Harborton-to-Deltaville ferry service in the foreground, with steamboat Eastern Shore at the wharf. From Alvin Hughlett Mason's History of Steam Navigation to the Eastern Shore of Virginia.

Harborton waterfront rotated (2).jpg
    Image rotation issues strike again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

She looks great! Well done & congratulations!

Thank you all for the nice comments. The tropical storm was quite a distraction but we made out OK. The winds were clocked at 75 MPH in the town where I dock the Houseboat.
    Ucanoe2 (sorry I don't know your name) the old pictures are really cool and I am definitely going to get that book. The Harborton boat ramp was pretty busy. I got a photo of it and almost the same view as the one in your pictures.

This is a view from inside the cabin headed out Pungoteague Creek

Glad you enjoyed the picture, Walt. The caption says my grandfather, Charles Bull, was chief engineer on the Chelsea.

The ferry to Deltaville was supposed to be a shortcut for people to travel from the Shore to Richmond. According to the James E. Mears book, Hacks Neck and its People, the service had a lot of bad luck at Deltaville and only lasted a couple years. Chelsea ran aground and was badly damaged. A previous ferry, Hercules, burned at Deltaville.

Good luck with your search for the Mason book. It is long out of print. I just found a copy on Amazon and ordered it in a hurry. It may be in your local public library.

I haven't been to Harborton in 20+ years, and didn't realize the boat ramp was so nice. It would be worth the trip to go back. I loved visiting there when I was growing up. If I didn't live up here in the mountains, I would probably be somewhere near the Bay.

When I was in high school, my dad bought a boat in Onancock. We came back to Harborton through the shallow area behind Finneys Island and Parkers Island. The tide must have been just right. That might have been your route home after you launched?

Good luck!

Reese
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

We did bring the boat back behind the islands between Pungoteague and Onancock Creek. Everyone calls it the "Gut" although we have hundreds of guts but they are very narrow bodies of water that are usually short. The old people called it the "Thorofare". There are places that are only 3' deep and that was a little scary just after launching however after about 4 boat rides I'm very comfortable driving in shallow water because it draws about 18" of water.

Still experimenting with the docking. It is slow on the helm making it difficult to place between the pilings. Overall I am very pleased. The motor does not cavitate, runs smoothly, and handles better than could be expected. The cabin is a little warm but I have a fan at the helm and plan to use it a lot in the cool weather in the Spring and Fall.

Walt, the ESPL does have the book. They have nine copies, more than the Library of Congress.

https://esplva.booksys.net/opac/espl...=1596948687087
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Damn, missed the launch . Really nice to see this afloat, after all the hard work. Good catch on the outboard too, much better in your yard than on the water.

Pete
    I have seven trolls on ignore

Congratulations Walt! It looks great!
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

My wife and I have been on the boat each day for the last 3 days. I am mainly learning how to bring it into the dock. I have only had one successful docking out of 6 attempts.

Pete- Good to hear from you. I am glad my engine problems occurred on land. My wife laughed at your screen name.

Jim- I just read your thread today for the first time this year. I have not been hanging out on the Wooden Boat forum very much. WOW re-powering! That's great news. I love Yanmars

Congrats Walt. It has been a pleasure to follow your build!

Today we took a boat ride with the family. The weather was not good but everyone enjoyed it including the 5 grandkids. The youngest is only 5 weeks old and this was his 2nd trip. I like going on the water and in an enclosed boat when its cloudy or some rain because there is less boat traffic and no wind. We watched a stone barge being unloaded and the picture is of the Onancock Wharf. I grew up across the creek from it. The rain got heavy on the way in but didn't bother us and stopped by the time we got to the dock.

The building on the left is Hopkins & Bros. General Store and is supposed to be the longest continuously operating store in North America.

Boy, I miss the Shore! Does the Onancock boat ramp still have the "Liars' Bench?"
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Good stuff, Walt. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The Liars Bench is still there but all of the old men that it was named for are gone.

I have done numerous small projects on the houseboat and enjoying going aboard almost every day. It is more difficult to work on it in the water than it was 30' from my shop. The biggest project is a mahogany counter top. It did not have to be mahogany but a fellow woodworker had a beautiful piece he was going to make into a mantel and made it 1" too short. He sold it to me at a good price.
    I made a pattern out of 1/4" strips using my new cordless hot glue gun. I do not have access to electricity where the boat is docked but most tools are cordless. The figure in the mahogany curved the same as the cabin sides so it looks cool. I took numerous photos and it just looks like two square pieces of wood but it is far from it. The other picture is showing a cherry door knob for the head made by the same guy that sold me the mahogany. I do not have a picture of the locking mechanism but hope to show it in the future. I also want to thank my wife for typing this entire thread. We have been together 44 years!

What a great build. Well done. And thanks for sharing this!

Your finish work is pretty nice. That counter is going to be sweet. I want to congradulate you on 44 years. I barely made it 20 years with my third wife.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

That is a great looking boat! Looks like years of family fun ahead, good to see the little ones out on the water.

Thanks guys, I like posting about this project.