Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

Today I ran 1 1/4" non metallic electrical conduit thru the floor that will go from the batteries to the power distribution panel. The last photo is ply backing for the stainless steel brackets that will hold the batteries in the battery box in the cockpit.

So it looks like you're going 12 volt exclusively. That should work forever, but someday you may want to be able to hook up to shore power for a heater in the winter. This would be a good time to wire in a receptacle inside and a hook-up outside. That would be less work in the long run and nicer than running a cord in through a window.

I'm having trouble getting oriented. Helm console moved? What are your plans for batteries?

Are you going to use a fish tape or the vacuum and string method to pull the wires through the conduit?

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    So it looks like you're going 12 volt exclusively. That should work forever, but someday you may want to be able to hook up to shore power for a heater in the winter. This would be a good time to wire in a receptacle inside and a hook-up outside. That would be less work in the long run and nicer than running a cord in through a window.
    I really should do that thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by capehorn3 View Post
    I'm having trouble getting oriented. Helm console moved? What are your plans for batteries?
    I didn't put captions under the photos but in the bottom pic the batteries will be mounted on the other side of the wall. That is coming up next.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Are you going to use a fish tape or the vacuum and string method to pull the wires through the conduit?
    I will use a fish tape.

With the shop ceiling complete and getting all my tools and equipment back together I can do more work on the houseboat. I'm pleased with the way the shop turned out.

I build as many things in the shop as I can versus in the boat or on the job. I pre-assembled all the window trim or casing in the shop . I used loose tenons to join the miters together. I like doing it like this because I can sand, prime, and paint and then just throw up the finished product.

More on this coming soon but this is the battery box on it's stainless steel brackets shown in it's permanent location. The blue stuff on the coaming and deck is protective film. I did paint the coaming white and my wife would have preferred the varnished look.

Last edited by waltwood; 05-31-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Just tell her she won't have to sand it as often Walt.

Have you given much thought to weight balancing?

She probably would be the one sanding it too!

The balancing is the question that I get from most people boaters and non boaters when they see it in person. With the beam at the water line of 12' I'm not really concerned about it. I've had people point out all kinds of things but other than the batteries on one side and the console on the other, I can't see that it would be much off balanced. If it is I will ballast it in the bilge with window weights or other dense metal. I am kind of concerned about fore and aft trim. The first houseboat I built was down by the bow a little but this one has the outboard motor, bracket and fuel tank all aft of the transom so I think I'll be okay. I sure would like some input from the forum.

I doubt that anyone could project that better than you Walt. You're there.

I doubt that anyone could project that better than you Walt. You're there.
    I really don't have any idea about the fore and aft attitude, but I think I'll be okay athwartship.

Walt,
    thank you for posting this build. I have been silently following along and finally decided to make a account just to say how much i enjoy your updates. Im going to be disappointed when your done!! Maybe We should all be looking forward to your next boat.

Thanks for following and posting. I enjoy posting but I have severe neck problems which makes it hard to use a computer. I got more to post now and I'm thinking about that next boat but it probably won't happen.
    Walt

We started running the wires for the many lights and it went good. I keep saying I am going basic but it seems like many things to wire. We got a 16 space breaker panel because we quickly came up with 12 filled spaces and too many is better than not enough. I am using Starboard to mount the panel. It will be hinged at the bottom for access. I don't like Starboard. it warps, machines poorly, nothing adheres to it, and it's way over priced. I am a little bitter because I ruined the first piece with a saw kerf and had to buy it twice but all of my complaints about it are true. I am pleased with the Blue Sea power distribution panel.

This is Andy, a marine electrician and a childhood friend. We grew up in the same neighborhood and both had boats since the age of 10 years old. We would drive for hours a day in our boats and it was a great thing to do as a kid. That was more than 50 years ago. I still keep my boat in the same place as I did 50 years ago and he lives across the creek.

Panel
    The piece of Starboard I messed up and the correct one.

See saw kerf in lower right corner.

This is a view of what the console helmsman area electrical panel will look like when it's finished. I've got to cut about 10 holes in the console and I'm not wild about that. I did reinforce the angled part of the console with fiber glass tape and that was a good idea.

This is some of the lights that will be installed. The round one on the lower part of the picture is one of 3 identical ceiling lights. About 80% of the lights are LED.

These are aluminum brackets made for the swim platform.

The ends of the outboard motor bracket flexed if a lot of weight was put on them. I had these brackets made by the same local guy who made the stanchions shown in post #564. He makes cobia towers for boats which is like a tuna tower but used on a smaller boat, is foldable, and used to catch a different fish. This is his full time business just making them.
    The gas tank will sit on the wing and it weighs 130 lbs. and my son and son in law each weigh 250 lbs. so I was more worried about them stepping on it and bending it. Stuff like this is hard to install trying to get them straight looking but it added quite a bit of strength. It is thru bolted on both ends.

Those welds are perfection! Did he utilize a robot to weld them? I've never seen free hand weld looks so good. My hats off to him if he did those free hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Those welds are perfection! Did he utilize a robot to weld them? I've never seen free hand weld looks so good. My hats off to him if he did those free hand.
    These are almost sloppy for him. I wanted to take a picture of one of his towers because the work is so incredible. His welds are spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    These are almost sloppy for him. I wanted to take a picture of one of his towers because the work is so incredible. His welds are spectacular.
    I'll never weld enough to be that good.

The first completed wall! The window trim installed and attached with trim head screws.

This closeup of the front window shows how much calculating I had to do to get the largest front windows without the wall ply colliding with it.

Quite a while ago I showed this console location but I didn't show how I built it. I looked back to see and had not taken any pictures of it. I cut into it and it was hollow and I'm adding reinforcement so the console can be bolted to the boat.

Wow! What a job Walt. This no little shanty on the water. Very nice.

Thanks Ned

Walt did you end up with the older barge that was offered to you?

No, I didn't get it and I am glad. Too much going on.

I have a lot to post but I'm going to do it in phases. I cut a hole in the console for the VHF and the next day read the instructions and it said to locate it at least 3 feet from the compass and it would have been much closer than that. My first idea was to relocate the compass, but I think it's very important to have it in front of the helm so I had to relocate the VHF. I don't really have any space to be putting electronics and other items anywhere but in or on the console. I've got a window to the right of the console and then the breaker beside that. I built a little mount over top the breaker panel for the VHF and I think I'm going to like this location. I don't talk on the VHF much but of course it is a necessity

Hole in console that won't be used

Repair piece for console

Console repair cover in place

New VHF location

Last edited by waltwood; 07-20-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Perhaps that could be a drawer Walt, with maybe a matching one to starboard. They'd be handy. Dovetail construction of course.

Perhaps that could be a drawer Walt, with maybe a matching one to starboard. They'd be handy. Dovetail construction of course.
    I did not think of that. I have a storage
    area in front of the console that I don't have a name for.

It has been complicated obtaining the correct motor controls. Before I decided on the helm location I had a owner of a outboard motor business to look at it. He said he was sure I could get controls that long because workboats used longer cables and hoses. When it came time to order the equipment, I had to get an extension for the wiring harness because 30' was the max. Another guy was able to get 38' shift and throttle cables which seems like a miracle. The hoses for the steering also needed an extension kit. It has been an extreme hassle and took about 6 weeks to get all of these parts. I did my research first but it would have been easier to locate the helm further aft.

In addition to getting all of the controls, I got a prop that I believed to be the perfect pitch and diameter, but it was the wrong hand. Part of the deal buying this motor was because it had a left hand lower unit.That was part of the reason for the reduced price.Turns out there are very few choices in left hand props. This is an issue because I need a low pitch prop due to the high weight, low speed operation of this vessel.

Motor control parts

Hydraulic steering arm

We installed the helm in the console. This is the pump for the hydraulic steering. It is made in Italy and seems of high quality.

Nice but that wheel stands out a long way. Any concerns about the mounting area flexing during vigorous use of the wheel?
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

We wrote a long post about this installation Saturday night and it evaporated, but Sunday I thought I would give a very brief summary and the pictures.
    I epoxied a 1 foot square of marine ply under the console where the helm is installed. There is also a fiberglass strip where it changes angle. It seems to be plenty sturdy . The wheel does stick up high but I have a tall helm chair so I don't think it will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    We wrote a long post about this installation Saturday night and it evaporated, but Sunday I thought I would give a very brief summary and the pictures.
    I epoxied a 1 foot square of marine ply under the console where the helm is installed. There is also a fiberglass strip where it changes angle. It seems to be plenty sturdy . The wheel does stick up high but I have a tall helm chair so I don't think it will be a problem.
    That sounds great. Should be strong then.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

The high wheel has the benefit of leaving the area beneath easily accessible for miscellaneous switches, etc.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.