Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17262728 LastLast

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

As I remember it you filleted and taped the cabin sides to the decks. I bet you were glad you did that.

I'm looking at GPSs Walt. Which one did you choose to use?

Yes I was glad I did that and used marine windows on the forward cabin. No leaks.
    I bought the Garmin ECHOmap CV 7" screen. I am very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    Looks good, Walt !

I have a lot of projects to do on the boat. The weather has been too bad to do any of the outside ones. I built the bed that will have a piece of 1/2"ply on top and then a futon mattress. We were going to have a couch that turned into a bed but it's too much hassle. We took it down to the boat for a test fit then I glued 2 x 2 blocks in all the corners. I have a very long list some of which are correcting problems, some improvements, and a lot of painting. We are going to paint the roof, topsides, siding, and bottom.

Tapered leg jig

Are you going to put some locating/stabilizing pins into the bottom of the legs Walt? If I did that it would be 5/16 bolts threaded in then the heads cut off with 3/8 sockets drilled all the way thru so the holes don't hold dirt.

It looks like it needs it but it doesn't. The legs are double tenoned and very sturdy. There is no flex. The frame will be bolted to the head and screwed to the studs on the long wall.
    Have you fired up your woodstove yet? I have the same model on order.

The houseboat has one handling issue that I am going to try to correct. When I am underway and the wind is abeam in excess of 14 knots, the bow blows off course. I am going to try adding a skeg amidship. I do not want to disrupt it's handling while turning tight at slow speeds and backing down. I had a design for the skeg and showed it to a naval architect who suggested a change. I made a wood pattern as I do of everything and took it to a fabricator that only does stainless steel and they did a great job of building it. It weighs in excess of 70 lbs but I have much reserve buoyancy that it will not matter.
    I need to do all these projects while the boat is out of water. Also shown in the pictures below is my new Powermatic bandsaw, Timber the shop dog, and gluing up a porch post. It seems like all of us on Woodenboat like to see a glue up.

Just dropping in to say thanks for continuing to take us all along on this ride.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Does anyone have advice on what to place between skeg and hull. I am bolting it with 6 -1/2" ss bolts.
    Me and the whole family have Covid. Some of us feel pretty bad but no serious problems like needing to be hospitalized. Can't wait to feel better.

Does anyone have advice on what to place between skeg and hull. I am bolting it with 6 -1/2" ss bolts.
    Me and the whole family have Covid. Some of us feel pretty bad but no serious problems like needing to be hospitalized. Can't wait to feel better.

Are you asking about sealant/adhesive or a mounting board? Sealant/adhesives I always use Sikaflex products. Backers on skegs and mounts I use 2x stock outside and 1x backers. That's an actual dimension, not lumber sizes.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Sorry to hear that Walt.

You phrased this as "TRY a skeg" above, so this is perhaps not a permanent installation? you might discover it needs to be moved forward or aft... so not a super-adhesive like 5200.

Even a less-adhesive material like polysulfide is going to still have a LOT of holding power with all of that surface area. I'd lean toward good old fashioned dolfinite.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

I guess I was asking about a substance or barrier that would allow it to be removed if necessary.

I guess I was asking about a substance or barrier that would allow it to be removed if necessary.

Maybe butyl for testing and then something more permanent like Sikaflex/3m products?
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Wow. Accomack County had a high infection rate early on, and it looks like you are having a spike now.
    Best wishes and best of luck to everyone.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Thanks, we went a year without getting it. I still feel bad, it takes a long time to get over it.

My Cub Mini woodstove just came and I can't wait to get it installed. I'm sure many of you saw it on Gib's thread. That is where I became aware of it and thought it would be perfect for the houseboat. I have installed many woodstoves and there is a learning curve to this one. Now that I have it all figured out and read instructions I don't think it will be too hard to install. I got the wall mount kit which will keep from taking up floor space. The design seems to be well thought out. I will show the install but it needs to stop raining. The Marina parking lot looks more like the bay than land. I cut up a large pile of tiny firewood on my new bandsaw and it was all too big to fit inside. It takes wood about the size of a softball. We finally got some snow and they said it was the first one we had had in 1100 days. It was fun but I am good for another 1100 days.

Ok lots of comments on the woodstove.
    I burned it off in my yard for 30 hours like they recommended to get rid of the paint smell. I am doing the wall mount as I said so a speaker had to be moved which was a project in itself. It has rained something like 22 days in February but my wife and I worked on the installation as much as possible. The heat shield has 1 inch spacers behind it but I also mounted it on a thick piece of scrap mahogany so the opening for the stove pipe which is 7" in diameter would not obstruct the mahogany trim on the ceiling. The stove pipe is 3" in diameter. That goes thru a 5" diameter insulated pipe thru the roof thru a 7" hole. So you have a 3" double wall pipe, a 5" insulated pipe with a 1" air space at the roof. Seems pretty safe to me. I made a plywood circle with a hole saw to mark the center of the stove pipe and used a plumb bob to find the center on the ceiling. I drilled thru the ceiling and roof with a foot long drill bit and then took a hole saw to do an exploratory hole in the ceiling. Everything seems ok so when it stops raining we will put on the roof kit. Once again I really like the design of the stove and their heat shield although it takes very small pieces of wood.

Nicely done. I have some minor regret with the Tiny Tot. The cub was a very close second.

After trying to get wood to toothpick size for a while, I gave up and switched to hardwood lump charcoal. Good move. The heat is more even, less smokey, no cracks and sparks, just a very polite, steady, and hot fire. I got a torso sized bag from Costco. Keep it in a bucket. Load it with a leather glove or salad tongs and the mess is minimal. My space is small enough that I can load a few lumps at a time depending on my need. Full up, it will burn 3-4 hours which is plenty for getting settled in the evening.

I vaguely recall it was made for coal instead of wood.

What's that round thingy Walt?

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    What's that round thingy Walt?

It's a speaker and that is where we had to move it. The Fusion stereo on the boat is great. I have Bluetooth, Pandora, and with the antenna 14' high I can pick up radio stations from New Jersey to North Carolina.
    Last edited by waltwood; 02-28-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Nicely done. I have some minor regret with the Tiny Tot. The cub was a very close second.

After trying to get wood to toothpick size for a while, I gave up and switched to hardwood lump charcoal. Good move. The heat is more even, less smokey, no cracks and sparks, just a very polite, steady, and hot fire. I got a torso sized bag from Costco. Keep it in a bucket. Load it with a leather glove or salad tongs and the mess is minimal. My space is small enough that I can load a few lumps at a time depending on my need. Full up, it will burn 3-4 hours which is plenty for getting settled in the evening.

I vaguely recall it was made for coal instead of wood.
    Thanks for the tip. My neighbor recommended coal also. The wood does kind of burn up fast in a small stove but I was planning on burning it for an hour and then just living off the retained heat.

Yours may be amenable to the other tip I got which is to pre load paper bags with coal until they just fit. Stick one in, light it and done. The openings on mine don't work for that. And you probably already know the silicone roof boots are higher temp rated.

The woodstove installation is complete. It's no fun cutting a hole in a flawless $6,000 roof. The boot that they send with a roof kit is pretty high quality. I can't fire it up because there are boats 3' away from me and I don't want to soot them up. I don't know why the install was so hard, possibly weather and it being a new system for me. I'm glad I don't do videos because I would have to edit out all the cussing and mistakes. Did I mention they have the boat blocked up crooked in every direction? That adds to the challenge.

This is my favorite wooden work boat in my town. It was built in 1987 on the western shore. The owners brother has the identical boat made by the same builder and they were each hauled out a day from each other. I spoke with the other brother and they oystered all winter and it was terrible weather. It blew all but probably 10 days. He said she is very stable due to her weight and wooden construction. That is so good to hear because everyone has gone to fiberglass and you just don't get the same ride. She is 45' long with a 15' beam and weighs 30,000 lbs. It has a 12 cylinder Cat in it.
    They crab pot from March to December and because of Covid they can now crab through the month of December.

Last edited by waltwood; 03-15-2021 at 06:33 PM.

It is an unusual setup alright but a good one for sure.

I got mine installed then pulled it back out because it was in the way, haven't fired it up yet and won't until the boat is out of the shop.

The top is kinda small, good for one of those tall percolating coffee pots but only half of what is needed for my oatmeal pot or 8" frying pan. I may remove the rail since I won't be cooking when underway and tossing about anyway and bolt a larger 1/4" plate top to it. Maybe I can find an oval or rectangular pot, haven't looked yet, but that still leaves the frying pan.

I expect the solution will be to have a separate propane cook stove. One of those little briefcase butane stoves would fit right in the top drawer when not in use but I don't like the idea of throw away butane containers.

The most difficult to figure was the wall mount kit. It had a minimum and a maximum height. The 5" pipe had to protrude thru the roof at least 1' but on the interior be no closer than 30" from the top of the stove. The 3" pipe had to stick above the 5"pipe 1 1/2" and as far as I could tell you could not cut this pipe very neat. I'm very glad I mounted it on the wall. It is out of the way and easy to load. Be sure to burn the stove for 30 hours outdoors as they advise to avoid smelling up your boat with paint burn off.

I will. I know the critters can smell me from far off no matter what I do but I want to at least smell as organic as possible.

The biggest project I had to do while the boat was out of water is lower the outboard motor bracket. The outboard was set according to the guidelines of a planing hull and it would cavitate in a chop and did not have enough power in reverse. This is a bigger project than you might think. The ceiling was removed and the yard owner used his Travellift to remove the motor. He has an electric crane mounted on the top beam for pulling inboards. I built a stand for the 500 lb motor. We removed the motor and a couple days later my son and crew removed the bracket attached with 14 bolts. My project now is repairing all the holes prior to reinstalling. The roof and the hull have been painted this week. The list is endless.

"The list is endless." As my wife would say, "Don't tell me that!"

Well I am kind of wrapping up the thread. I repaired the transom and it came out looking like new, installed the outboard motor bracket and motor. Behind the motor I installed an aluminum wedge that will allow the motor to tilt down further. The guy who built the bracket goofed a little on the angle. This wedge is built for this purpose. Also installed a swim ladder and stanchions. We had a 3 hour boat trip once again in very rough conditions but we made it home safely. Many boats in the boat yard wanted to go over at the same time I did and most of them drew 5 feet of water. Since that was not an issue with the houseboat I got to go in first. I didn't take many pictures and I probably won't post any upgrades because you all have seen enough but this refit seemed post worthy.

Well thanks much for a great thread. I've really enjoyed following and I've been impressed with all the fine work you put into the boat. It's way more than a "barge!" I hope you have many enjoyable years on board.
    -Dave

Wonderful Walt..

Still waiting on that cannonball from the roof you promised us...

Thank you Dave. I appreciate the kind words. I also enjoyed sharing the project. My life changed a lot during the build, some good some bad.

I didn't summarize the work that was done in the boat yard but we painted the roof 2 coats, the hull, and of course the bottom with 2 coats of multi season anti foulant. The yard owner was great allowing me and my crew to do our own work but to call on him when I needed help.