Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

2-thumbs up.jpg

we're still here

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

We got rained out today on the garage project so we installed about 1/2 of the mahogany pieces that go in the ceiling. I want to say again several of them have different widths, thicknesses, shapes, and dadoes on the hidden side for the screw heads to recess in them. My son and I have both been dreading this job but we really got into it. I have severe neck problems so overhead work is bad on me. The cabin is also curved and angled making no square joints. I put masking tape across every piece because you could not see pencil marks on the varnished wood. Also, I like to have the fasteners equidistant for looks. We then drilled thru the tape, removed it, and put up the pieces. It worked great. I came up with a new idea to make the strips in the middle straight. We predrilled all the pieces anyway but we stuck a screw in each end and ran a string line from screw to screw. When the string was in the center of the other holes it was straight. I could not mark on the ceiling or use a chalk line because there would be no way to erase it. Going around the head is going to be a problem otherwise I think we got this one.

Last edited by waltwood; 04-27-2020 at 06:05 PM.

The first picture of this group shows where I had to notch the trim around the door casing. Turned out good.

WOW, love it.

Looks great walt. Must be nice to have a place to keep it now too.

Quite a barge, Walt!

My dad was from Harborton, just a few miles south of Onancock. I remember going with my grandfather to the bank in Onancock, only to discover it was closed for Lee-Jackson Day.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    Been working right along.

Scarfing jig for stringers which are 25' long.

I'm JUST starting to read this thread, after all this time, and your scarfing jig for your router caught my eye. NICE! I'm making note of this for a future project.

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    Quite a barge, Walt!

My dad was from Harborton, just a few miles south of Onancock. I remember going with my grandfather to the bank in Onancock, only to discover it was closed for Lee-Jackson Day.
    We are going to launch the boat in Harborton because it has the nicest boat ramp!

When I was growing up, there was a pulpwood yard at the boat ramp site.

Years before that, there was a menhaden processing plant where my great grandfather worked. My great grandparents had an apartment on the second story of a store on the steamboat wharf, which is now the county dock. My dad and his brother carried water for the James Adams Floating Theater in exchange for free admission to the shows.

Love the scarfing jig, Walt!
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Today we completed the long mahogany strips that covers the seams and rows of screws.Very pleased to get this done. We still have 18 short pieces to go fore and aft between each long strip.

Ceiling of houseboat completely finished!

Last edited by waltwood; 02-24-2021 at 08:20 PM.

The boat ceiling is looking pretty nice. The garage is coming along. My 12x16 workshop framing fit in the back of my 2001 Ford Ranger with the tiniest step-side bed. That's including the 2x stock to build the trusses. I'm currently working on an 8x16 expansion off the rear of it and a 6x6 bathroom off the end.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

I bought the outboard motor at a good price because it was a previous year model and had a left hand gear case. I called all my mechanics - "no problems with a left hand, I have one on my boat", There are problems. There are very few prop sizes available for left hand OB's. I need one with the shallow pitch or else it won't turn up enough RPMs and could damage the motor. I've known this for a year but I'm ready to splash now. I called my local Yamaha dealer and he said there were no props available in the United States. I stewed over that for a few hours and decided I would call the place in Florida that I purchased the motor from and they would surely be able to get me a prop. They told me the same thing. I went on Ebay and found a used one at a good price with minor damage. The smallest prop available is 13 x 14. After I got the prop I got the hub tested, dings removed, and the pitch changed to 12. It was of interest to me they can only change the pitch size by 2".

Andy finished up the electrical with the chart plotter, horn switch, USB port, and the fan. We are getting there!

So are you going to carry a spare prop Walt? You could use a right hand and just put it in reverse, just enough to get home.

How hard/expensive is it to get a right-hand gear box for it?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Hey Gib:

I was going to try it out first and then get a spare prop altered.

I did look into changing the gear case. After the propeller news I thought I was going to have to do something drastic. I know the whole lower unit is about $3200. I'm sure you can change the parts in one to make it right hand but I was not crazy about tearing apart a new motor that had never been run. One interesting thing the Yamaha mechanic said the left hand units have a large forward and reverse bearing and the right hand units have a large forward bearing and a small reverse bearing because you wouldn't be riding around in reverse all day. He said he could switch the gear but never done it. I think I have resolved the problem but we'll see.

The head is complete with the door put on and the mahogany wood strips placed underneath. It worked out pretty neat. The head was 11/16" shorter than the ceiling height to have enough room to install it. I milled the strips wider than the base of the head and put a roundover on the outside edge. When it's finished it looks like shoe molding run around the bottom.

The bottom paint was 3 years old so we repainted it with 2 coats and changed the color to black. It seems to look better.
    And my garage is complete except for over head door.

You forgot an important detail Walt...

I really did the half moon in the door!

Well I think most of the projects are complete to launch the boat. There is plenty left to do but enough done to get it in the water. I finally got to install my heart pine base to go under the seat pedestal. The helm chair looks great. The battery hold down is installed which was a item determined to be incomplete by the Surveyor. And the anchor holder on the bow pulpit.

Looks great, Walt !!!

Cant wait to see it floating.

Amazing, Walt! Remember to post photos of the Harborton launch ramp.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

I usually try to show the things that go right but the new motor would not start about six weeks ago. I called Josh at Master Marine to come look at it but the problem had nothing to do with his installation. The fuel pump was rusty internally. They start them at the factory using very high quality fuel but it goes bad after a few years. The fuel left inside can cause problems and it did. It takes a long time to get parts now because of COVD. Friday he and his buddy Jeff put in the new fuel pump and it started in one crank. Both Josh and I think the problem started because the motor sat in the dripping wet bow shed. If I can secure a boat hauler it's going in the water very soon.

Hurdle after hurdle, huh?

Well, good luck on the launch.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Well after 4 1/2 years we launched the boat! I hired a pro boat hauler from Va Beach because I wanted it moved safely. The guy took his time, was very careful, and wanted me to make decisions. His rig was too long to take in one photo so I showed the trailer. It was an 8 mile drive to the Harborton boat ramp. This boat has a beam of 12'6" so it was kind of hairy when we passed dump trucks coming from the other direction. We got to the boat ramp and it was busy with recreational boaters. The launch went smoothly. It sits a little low on the water line but even with it in both directions. It was a 2 hour boat ride to bring it back to it's berth and we could only make about 6 knots. It handles pretty good under power, does not slide sideways when turning, but is going to take me a little while to get used to the left hand prop when reversing. I can drive my Parker in reverse without thinking about it knowing how the stern walks. Over all I am pleased. We took a family trip today but of course the work will never end. We had lots of people taking photos of us on the water. Never seen people so curious.

I have a few more pictures show them later

Thumbs up!!!

I'm happy for you Walt. It looks just right. Congratulations.

Thank you Gib and Thad, I am real glad to be in the water.
    Hurricane coming Tues though, always something!

Congrats Walt! I know no one is as happy as you are to see her on the water! As one who has followed this thread from the beginning, thanks for sharing your progress with us. I'm inspired by the level of your craftsmanship and the sheer amount of work to get her done.

Ah, yes, coming right over you headed this way. Always something, indeed. Best of luck to us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus71 View Post
    Congrats Walt! I know no one is as happy as you are to see her on the water! As one who has followed this thread from the beginning, thanks for sharing your progress with us. I'm inspired by the level of your craftsmanship and the sheer amount of work to get her done.
    I can't believe you have been following it from the beginning because it has gone on so long. My life changed a lot since the start of this build until now. My son has been talking about building another for two days- not going to happen!

"we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

A thing of beauty - congratulations.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.