Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 1011

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

It's been wonderful following both your barge threads. Keep the photos of the work coming. It's a privilege many of us appreciate.
    - John

Barges aren't my thing, nor is ply and epoxy, but I always check in here to follow your progress Waltwood, you're doing a quality job, it's a major project, and there are many things I am learning from you. Thank you for posting, and please continue!

Quote Originally Posted by bnaboatbuilder View Post
    It's been wonderful following both your barge threads. Keep the photos of the work coming. It's a privilege many of us appreciate.
    what John said...

¿ what would old retyrees do if we didn't have this type of engineering/inovation to wake up to/read/fantasize about ?

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Hi Walt,

I read your thread almost daily and learned a lot. Your bowshed project encuoraged me to do a similar (smaller) one next year. Keep posting photos, please!
    Last edited by heimfried; 03-16-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Gruß, Günter

Walt,

You have a lot of fans here and are much admired!

Skip

Oh, Walt.

This whole thing is glorious, Buddy. Truly amazing.

I know exactly what you mean about the documentation of the whole deal. It's like having two jobs at the same time.

I've posted a few small projects, and the posting was more work, for me, than the work.

I usually don't have anything to add to this thread except "wow" so I don't comment, but I come here and look all the time.

Peace,
    Robert

2 JOBS ...

ABSODADGUMLUTELY CORRECT!!!

i'm only building/documenting a MINI MOUSEBOAT BUILD and is has me swamp'd frum tyme 2 tyme

seeing what others are accomplishing keeps the fires burning

the documentation WITH PICS helps bunches

knot 2 mention reading about someone else's trials n tribulations lets me know i'm knot alone out there...

DON'T STOP NOW

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I appreciate all the great comments but all I was saying was I was going to take a break for a couple of weeks. Looks like I am not!

We have been battling the weather to work on the boat and work in general. I don't live on the water but close to it. I have an open exposure to the Chesapeake Bay and the wind has blown for 4 days sustained about 30 knots, periods of 40 knots sustained, and gusts to 50 knots. The heating unit went up in my shop and I didn't realize what a luxury it was. It has been fixed but it was out for 4 days. I am also so fortunate to have the bowshed to build the boat in. When the wind blows 40 knots it flops and makes awful noises but no wind inside. It is great! If it is sunny then we are golden.

Work has continued on the sole and cockpit framing. I wish I knew more about it but I am figuring it out. I put in 2 vertical tapered pieces which will support the aft sole framing at the ends. The ceiling will also be attached to them.

Support for aft end of sole. It is full 2" thick laminated spruce. It had to be thicker so sole will bear on it as it does go all the way to the transom.

I attached a 3" curb (for lack of nautical term) to the sole plywood. Again it is nice stuff to work with. This curb will contain the water that may get into the cockpit and direct it out 2 drain holes in the transom. A nice size fillet was added for rigidity and to make the glass work easier.

Walt, you are fortunate to have access to high quality materials. That spruce looks gorgeous.

I have to travel or it has to travel to me. There is not much here but Loblolly Pine.

Walt, the irony here in Oregon is that our old-growth spruce forests were logged to provide aircraft-grade spruce for the Army Air Corps in World War I and after. It is very seldom encountered as dimensional lumber unless you go to a specialty store.

I am still amazed by this. When I built my house 12 years ago the framing lumber had stamped on the side it came from Austria. At the same time they were logging all around my land. I talked with the owner of the building supply and he said he could buy lumber from Austria for $25 a thousand cheaper than the local sawmill. The local sawmill said they were sending much of their pine to Japan. I do not understand global economics. That has all changed now since the crash. Local sawmill is out of business and framing lumber is coming from Canada again.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    I am still amazed by this. When I built my house 12 years ago the framing lumber had stamped on the side it came from Austria. At the same time they were logging all around my land. I talked with the owner of the building supply and he said he could buy lumber from Austria for $25 a thousand cheaper than the local sawmill. The local sawmill said they were sending much of their pine to Japan. I do not understand global economics. That has all changed now since the crash. Local sawmill is out of business and framing lumber is coming from Canada again.

I am building a small workshop behind my house. All of my lumber has come from western region of Canada going by the stamping. Of course, I'm using crappy construction grade lumber, not the quality stuff.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Lookey what came today! It is a 2014, new though. It seems like the only way you can install the outboard yourself is buying an old stock model. That is okay with me because they are less expensive. This is the same motor I have on my Parker and it has been great.

As an afterthought the bow needed more support. We constructed a jig to make an Oak lamination that will be fastened to the curved bow framing and back to the flat area just aft of that.
    I almost messed up on the jig construction by building to the wrong side of it. I allowed for 3/4" springback. I wanted to post about it and get opinions but I will just belt sand it to the shape needed if it is off. The White Oak plys measure 5/16" x 3 1/4" x 90" and the finished thickness is 3 1/4".

Location of the bow support piece.

Gluing up the jig.

Gluing up the support piece.

Completion and installation of support piece. There was no spring back in the lamination.

Looks as fair and precise as if it had been milled. Great job, Walt!

I've had really good experience with Yamaha outboards.

I'm a little surprised you went with a 115 hp. That is bigger than expected will the barge get on plane?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    I've had really good experience with Yamaha outboards.

I'm a little surprised you went with a 115 hp. That is bigger than expected will the barge get on plane?
    Some thought it needed a 150 hp. I don't think I will get on plane but I guess it is possible with the amount of bottom surface. We thought it needed this size motor for maneuvering and getting up to speed. I am hoping it will do around 10 knots cruise.

On the subject of outboards and displacement hulls. Prop selection experts suggest your outboard motor be capable of reaching max RPM so you will need a very low pitch prop? On my tiny house boat with a 20 HP four stroke the lowest pitch available still finds me 1200 RPM short of max recommended RPM. Do any of you have a suggestion for me, sorry for thread drift.