Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Looking good. Patiently waiting(trying to, anyway) to see it finished. I check every time there is an update, but try not to reply too often as I prefer to read about progress, not cheering. I know you feel the cheering makes updating the thread worthwhile, so I don't complain about it.

Way to go Walt. Hip Hip Horaay! Hip Hip Horaay! Hip Hip Horaay!
    Thanks ulav8r for the PM. I will try to keep it on topic.
    Last edited by waltwood; 04-05-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Ed View Post
    Fine work! And built like the proverbial brick s____house.
    I built a Bolger houseboat few years ago, loved that boat. Chose glass epoxy to cover. In retrospect I would have pre- glassed the panels flat, used the special porus cloth to skim the extra resin, glassed the seams in place. I spent a LOT of time fairing.
    I hope it is not overbuilt. Do you still have the houseboat?

Walt, you are doing a fine job.
    its an old fashion, stout boat, and if you can afford the time, money,effort, why not build it tough. It's personal preference. I built a lot of small boats before I realized it's much more about the building than the having.If it's just about boats, there are lots of good ones to buy. And cheaper. You have designed and built something perfect for you.
    my Bolger house boat, alas was sold when We moved to Mexico. Not good for the Sea of Cortez. Though the estuaries on the west coast of Baja.would have suited it fine.
    I can honestly say that I had great fun hanging out in that boat. House boating is about hanging out. And it can trundle along between hangouts. Truth be told? All most boaters do 99% of the time is hang out on their boats. A houseboat is just more honest about that. And most oceangoing boats are usually much less comfortable to hang out on. Most yachts become expensive temples to a dream that never gets realized. And much labor is sacrificed there as well.
    Regards, Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    I hope it is not overbuilt. Do you still have the houseboat?

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Ed View Post
    Walt, you are doing a fine job.
    its an old fashion, stout boat, and if you can afford the time, money,effort, why not build it tough. It's personal preference. I built a lot of small boats before I realized it's much more about the building than the having.If it's just about boats, there are lots of good ones to buy. And cheaper. You have designed and built something perfect for you.
    my Bolger house boat, alas was sold when We moved to Mexico. Not good for the Sea of Cortez. Though the estuaries on the west coast of Baja.would have suited it fine.
    I can honestly say that I had great fun hanging out in that boat. House boating is about hanging out. And it can trundle along between hangouts. Truth be told? All most boaters do 99% of the time is hang out on their boats. A houseboat is just more honest about that. And most oceangoing boats are usually much less comfortable to hang out on. Most yachts become expensive temples to a dream that never gets realized. And much labor is sacrificed there as well.
    Regards, Ed
    That is really interesting, Ed. It is all about hanging out on the water. The last houseboat I built that pre-dated this forum I did the interior after it was launched so I could spend more time on the water. I was going to do the same with this one but I am re-thinking that because I have such a good space to build it in and I am only 20' away from my woodworking shop.

I ran out of money and steam when if came to fitting out my houseboat. I left a few jobs to be done after launching and regretted not finishing them when she was on the hard. Every job seems to take twice as long at the marina and 3 times as long on the mooring!

Yes. The money flowed.......ya pay to play. I figure I was about 1/3 done with the boat after finishing hull and cabin. All that wiring, plumbing, painting . Enclosed head,blackwater tanks....Bunk. Twenty drawers , Windows. Curtains. Oil stove . Motor, controls. Helm. Five doors. Floorboards. Ceiling panels. Varnish.....the complete interior of a thirty foot cruising boat in a twenty foot houseboat . Five and a half years of spare time. Fortunately no divorce.

Yes it adds up fast. If/when I build another one I will make it bigger and fit the whole thing out with nice antique cabinetry from junk shops, rather than build it all from scratch.

I am using Titanium roof underlayment under the cedar siding on the sidewalls. I am a house builder and it is one of the greatest products that has come along in my 42 years of construction. It is super tough. I have left it to the weather 2 years uncovered with no problems. It is 48" wide as opposed to tarpaper 36" wide and it comes in a 10 square roll. Of course it has a down side and that is price at $110 a roll. It is not supposed to be used on sidewalls I have read but I do it anyway. It does not allow moisture to pass through it as some housewraps. I should be using a rain screen or cedar breather behind the siding.

The cornerboards are Azek. They have to be notched at the top and bottom and shaped to fit the fillet on the side deck. It was a challenge.

This is the aluminum outboard motor bracket I had fabricated in Crisfield,Md. I met the guy that made it at the waterman's expo. He was knowledgeable about the brackets and interested in getting it right for this boat. I did not know much about them but now I do. I called Armstrong first who I suppose is one of the largest makers of these brackets because many people call them "Armstrong Brackets" regardless of who made it. I emailed them a page of information that was required. After hearing nothing from them for a week, I called and was told "the guy who does those quotes was on vacation". I waited a few days later and called back. I talked to the guy who did the quotes and he was a jerk on the phone. He gave me a quote for a standard bracket with no wings on the side hoping to scare me away with the high price. Other than his bad attitude he did not show any interest in trying to quote for a custom one which is what they do. I never got a quote for the actual bracket that would fit my boat. I would dislike owning a company that had an employee who was chasing customers away. The price for the custom bracket here was less than the stock price of an Armstrong bracket and I would have to pay shipping from Florida.
    It seems to benefit everyone when you buy local.

Cockpit framing is complete. It is sloped aft and curved at the stern to divert water into the drain holes. The open area in the center is for an access hatch.

Walt, I am looking forward to seeing that outboard bracket installed. It kind of has me puzzled. Too bad about the jerk at Armstrong.

Too bad for them but not for you or your fabricator! I look forward to seeing you on the water enjoying your creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Oregon View Post
    Walt, I am looking forward to seeing that outboard bracket installed. It kind of has me puzzled. Too bad about the jerk at Armstrong.
    Hey Bill, the side of the bracket that is shown is attached to the boat. The motor goes on the higher part of the center on the other side. I hope to put the fuel tanks on the wings.

Got it, Walt. Thanks for clearing that up.

The rubrail comes in 20' sections. It is a very hard PVC material. I searched from many manufacturers for 40' sections which I used on the last project and could not find it in this profile. I didn't like the idea of piecing it but I don't think it will be a problem. It's hard enough to handle in 20' lengths so I am glad I didn't get the 40 footers.

Fitting rubrail

Clever way to hold rubrail without 4 people

One section permanently installed

A couple of windows installed. Note the way I supported my walkboard by cutting a slot in my temporary step landing.

Hey Walt, I love your boat. She has a good vibe! I hope many wonderful lifelong memories are created with your family on her. Your grandkids will remember her when they are old men. Heck, they may still be sailing her!

I have a question about the roof I can't figure out. I think I read that the radius on the roof beams were 35 inches, to create the slope. Since the side walls curve inward to follow the hull shape, do the end rafters still have the 35 inch slope, or do the flat sections line up? The math on the curve is throwing me off. If the end rafters are shorter, wouldn't the ends be higher than the ends of the longer beams with the same slope?
    Last edited by Mark O.; 04-21-2017 at 12:09 AM.

Walt, thanks for the update. I was in withdrawals. That rub rail looks like very interesting and incredibly useful material. Glad to see the windows going in. Launch day inches closer!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O. View Post
    Hey Walt, I love your boat. She has a good vibe! I hope many wonderful lifelong memories are created with your family on her. Your grandkids will remember her when they are old men. Heck, they may still be sailing her!

I have a question about the roof I can't figure out. I think I read that the radius on the roof beams were 35 inches, to create the slope. Since the side walls curve inward to follow the hull shape, do the end rafters still have the 35 inch slope, or do the flat sections line up? The math on the curve is throwing me off. If the end rafters are shorter, wouldn't the ends be higher than the ends of the longer beams with the same slope?
    You are sharp! I fretted about that for a couple of weeks thinking I would shim up the aft roof beams or notch the forward ones. I believe the radius was 30' and it was so gradual that it was negligible. the forward most ones were about 3/8" higher than the others but I set them with a stringline and they are on the same plane.

I was going to start a new post about this but it's not really worthy. Yesterday an 80 yr old man I know came by to ask if I wanted a 24' barge. Today I looked at it and I don't know if i want it or not. I am glad I am the wood barge guy in my area but it may be too much of a project.

This guy is most interesting in that he operated 3 railways at the same time in my area and was a diver and dockbuilder. He still works at 80 years old.

I suspect that late at night the spirit of Howard Chapelle can be seen taking notes and measurements of this piece of maritime history and interviewing the spirits of the builders and spirits of the users.

mmmmmm?
    A kids book written in the voice of the old wooden barge telling the story of it's life ?
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

I got involved in the history of it yesterday.
    Writing a kids book might be easier than fixing it up, ha.

So no advice on the free barge?

We have built and installed all 4 Azek corners. The front ones were beveled at 14 degrees to match the cabin. They were a challenge to fit with angles at the top,etc. I assembled and attached the corners to the boat with trim head ss screws and Azek glue. I use these trim heads often in house trim. They hold good and the holes are easy to fill.

All the sliding windows are installed and the rubrail completed.
    Last edited by waltwood; 04-24-2017 at 06:22 PM.

More!

More!

It is looking good Walt! The window nearest the camera has been moved outwards by the timber around it, will all the windows be getting the same treatment?
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

The wall where the forward windows are located has a curve and not an equal curve I might add. I routered out these strips that match the curve to make it flat again to install the window on a flat surface. The window trim will cover most of this but basically the 2 front side windows stick out an inch more than any of the other windows. After the cedar siding is installed I think it will come together.

On the barge offer, I'd pass, but I am a beginner novice of novices of boat building. I've only built a few wood splinters I knocked together and called canoes or jon boats. No plans were harmed in the making of said boats. Just cut a few pieces of half inch CDX ply to some shape of a boat bottom, wrap it with the same CDX, glue, and nail it. I think my canoe weighed close to 100lbs after I put in the CDX bulk heads, seats, and enclosed the stern and transom for floatation. The 12-foot jon boat, well that took four big guys grunting pretty hard to get it in the water. I could paddle it faster than the 30lb minkota trolling motor could push it.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

You continue to do real nice work Walt,.... and I don't know how you move so quickly. Very pretty!

Hmmm,... that 24' barge is a neat find. It looks like it had been blocked pretty well and has held its shape. Obviously the deck is gone, but how are the sides and bottom? If they are ok my dilema would be can I find or make some sort of a use for it. It is a neat piece and looks like it could still have some life. Of course I can't see taking chainsaws to things 'just because'.

If the old barge is beyond saving, some of the timbers might well be worth the salvage effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Oregon View Post
    If the old barge is beyond saving, some of the timbers might well be worth the salvage effort.
    Exactly what I was thinking,joint and plane=siding

I have taken a second look at it and the rot is not bad. it is plain heavy and not in a good way. The owner told me it had an inboard engine at one time and the shaft came almost straight out of the stern and the prop slapped the water. I think that would be fun to see under way.
    I would have several uses for a barge and could even rent it out. My wife's suggestion is to build a hunting house on it a sell it.
    Last edited by waltwood; 04-25-2017 at 05:03 PM.

It does look like a beast.

Walt that boat really rocks! Doin the Delmarva proud!

Quote Originally Posted by wollybugger View Post
    Walt that boat really rocks! Doin the Delmarva proud!
    Hey, hows it going? We are going to take some Smith Island trips when its done!

Hey, hows it going? We are going to take some Smith Island trips when its done!
    Doing awesome Walt thanks. Saw a email notification come across and I followed. Wow. You are really kicking on this build! You must be having a blast!