Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

It looks like a Martin house. If you have an open field or yard where they can soar around it, that house just may attract them. ( Sorry to drift from boats so much)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Wrens like a certain amount of cover.

I have several swallow houses and they prefer the ones that are out of the hot sun, like on the north end of a building under an overhang, or in the shade of a big cedar.

There's a martin apartment like yours out in the Harbour on a post. They love it there and don't seem to mind the hot sun at all.

I certainly don't know much about birds but I like having them on the property because they are fun to look at and they eat mosquitos. I have built several of what was supposed to be blue bird houses and it seems like anything will nest in them. From the small amount of research I have done the hole size and compartment size determines species too. The swallows do like the eaves of my shop. I am told purple martin houses need to be very high up and a far distance from houses. I hope something will nest in it.

I had some stanchions made to hold up the aft roof. They are anodized aluminum. There is very little on this boat that I'm subbing out that it's a relief to have some of the work done by someone else. I made a ply pattern with angles at the top and bottom which were different and took it to the fabricator. He only does boat work specializing in Cobia towers and T -Tops. He is a local guy and his work is as good as I've ever seen.

I got an anchor roller made in China. I can not tell any difference from the Lewmar but there may be. Lewmar may be made in China too for all I know but they were more expensive. I made a Teak pulpit which will be bolted to the bow and the anchor roller bolted to the pulpit. You all discouraged me about the windlass but it does take quite a bit of electrical drain.

It was damp and cold in the bow shed so we painted the sole outside. It is a nice buff color but it is hard to tell by the reflection from the sun.

I have been working on my son's house because they are expecting another baby in 3 months and there is an urgency for more space. It has taken alot of my time. When the weather has been too bad for that project, I work on the houseboat. I have officially stopped doing paid carpentry work due to physical problems and it is kind of a big deal to me. I have always enjoyed my work so I am going to miss it. I'm gonna need a houseboat to go out on to fill my time.

This is a step that I built to enter my dining room addition I discussed in a previous post.

Still working on the door to the houseboat. The Lexan storm panel has been put in, a nice hold-back hook installed and I have adjusted the hinges. All it needs is a latch to be completely done.

That step is smooth and slick looking.

Now, about that door winder. Did you bed it in with something? Any room for it to expand/contract with temperature changes? I ask because I installed a temporary rear window in a truck made of plastic glass and it would bow out really bad in warm weather.

"I have officially stopped doing paid carpentry work due to physical problems and it is kind of a big deal to me."

Sorry to hear this Walt. I'm basically on the same path so I understand your frustrations, or I should say I have some.

On the other hand your barge is looking great. I guess your looking at launching some time after the weather breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    "I have officially stopped doing paid carpentry work due to physical problems and it is kind of a big deal to me."

Sorry to hear this Walt. I'm basically on the same path so I understand your frustrations, or I should say I have some.

On the other hand your barge is looking great. I guess your looking at launching some time after the weather breaks?
    That was the plan a few months ago but the amount of work I have left is staggering. i really hope I launch this summer but I am not certain.

Ben,
    Sorry for the late response. I did bed the plastic panel in something but I already forgot what that was. I think I had about a 16th of an inch gap all the way around the panel which is probably not enough although that was at 60 degrees, my shop temperature. It might bow outwards like yours did.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    Ben,
    Sorry for the late response. I did bed the plastic panel in something but I already forgot what that was. I think I had about a 16th of an inch gap all the way around the panel which is probably not enough although that was at 60 degrees, my shop temperature. It might bow outwards like yours did.

Think nothing of it. I haven't been able to be online much lately to check the forums.

A 16th may be a little tight on the hot days and may cause bowing but my window was in direct sunlight. Yours has shade so it may not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Think nothing of it. I haven't been able to be online much lately to check the forums.

A 16th may be a little tight on the hot days and may cause bowing but my window was in direct sunlight. Yours has shade so it may not be an issue.
    Yes, I didn't think of that it will be shaded always.

Yes, I didn't think of that it will be shaded always.

I'll echo above the doorstep looks beautiful! ... and slick too! Is it a "grippy" surface to prevent a short sledding trip to the ED, especially when wet?

Quote Originally Posted by schoonerjay View Post
    I'll echo above the doorstep looks beautiful! ... and slick too! Is it a "grippy" surface to prevent a short sledding trip to the ED, especially when wet?
    I looks like glass but it is a grippy surface

Today we got all the grab rails installed. There sure is a lot of them. Eight small grab rails, two of them on each corner of the boat and one long one over top of each window. I mounted them on the head trim of each window. I like this location because it's a good height and they can be removed for painting. I've been waiting six weeks to get all the parts together. Various parts were on back order and originally did not think I needed a center support on a four foot rail but it is necessary. They look kind of like curtain rods but they'll be very functional for safe passage from the stern to the bow. I also installed the teak bow pulpit shown in post 564. It is thru- bolted to blocking under the deck. Jeff is glad that 's done because there's very little clearance under the bow deck especially at the forward most part.

Do you foresee a need to walk the rail around the cabin? As much as I used to go boating, I never had to walk the rail.

I so want to replace walk the rail with walk the plank.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Do you foresee a need to walk the rail around the cabin? As much as I used to go boating, I never had to walk the rail.

I so want to replace walk the rail with walk the plank.
    Yes, to drop and retrieve the anchor and to tie it up at the dock will require going forward.

Yes, to drop and retrieve the anchor and to tie it up at the dock will require going forward.

Walt, I appreciate the craftsmanship you've put into this build as well as design decisions along the way! I'm so sorry to drift the thread just a bit further but referencing that doorstep above (again!), I remain suitably impressed at how, as you put it, it looks like glass yet still has a non-slip surface. Do you mind sharing the secret to that? I could see that being helpful for varnish-like areas on boats too.

Thanks for the compliments! I did not do anything to make it grippy. It was just Schooner Varnish and even after curing for a week it still has kind of a sticky feeling to it- kind of hard to describe. Maybe after some wear and dust get on it, it will not be so grippy but of course they use it for floors in houses and decks on boats.

I couldn't bring myself to step on something as beautiful as that, I'd need to cover it with a welcome mat.

With the installation of the last two bow windows this completes the exterior, or at least makes it weather tight. My son put them in for me even with his busy job and life.
    I need that because it's been cold and wet even inside the bow shed. I can heat the inside easy now.

Jeese Walt, that's just what I need for my next foray into the wild. I wish you weren't such a tease, setting such a high bar and all.

Sorry about that!

How wide are the side decks? Wondering if you might want a grab a little farther from the corner to help make the turn onto the fore deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    How wide are the side decks? Wondering if you might want a grab a little farther from the corner to help make the turn onto the fore deck.
    The side decks are 9 1/2 inches wide. At least on the port side the window is farther from the bow making the grab farther aft. It works okay going from bow to stern now.

Just looked a little tricky as you don't have direct access. Looks like a nice little space, that deck, you might want to sit out there if you can keep the mosquitos at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Just looked a little tricky as you don't have direct access. Looks like a nice little space, that deck, you might want to sit out there if you can keep the mosquitos at bay.
    The cockpit is going to be my hangout with the shade and all.

It all looks super, you know.

We fitted the outboard motor bracket for the first time. There is a lot going on here with trying to figure out where all the motor controls go and attaching the bracket to the boat. It seems to fit good.

This is a great thread and I love your work, and the style you use to take photos!

Thanks, I did not know I had any photography skills!

Back in Post #540 I showed the birdhouse that I built for my wife for Christmas that some of you were interested in. Today we finished installing it and what a project! I planned for the post to pivot on a large bolt to lower it for cleaning and maintenance. However, we chose to set it all up the first time with the post raised so it would be straight, etc. Even with scaffolding, this was difficult because the sections are bulky. It gone done and no one got hurt and it looks great!

The first photo is the 3' x 3' footing that I put in with 5/8 x 12" anchor bolts and my jig used to hold them in the same position as the holes in the bracket. A welder friend made the bracket that we set in the cured concrete about a week later.

Setting the post and birdhouse.