Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waltwood
    • Dec 2011

Re: Building Another Barge?

I always enjoy seeing Makoto a very handsome boat.

I am not sure what I said but my roof beams span about 9'6", they are 2 x 6 tapered to 3 3/4" on the outsides 2 foot on center. Surprisingly there is not much deflection due to the 1 inch thick Core cell on top that is glassed on both sides. From being a house builder I know spanning a 2 x 4 18' is way undersized. The Building Code says a Spruce 2 x 4 16" on center can only span 8'7" when used on a roof. I don't know if this answers your question.

Walt

Comment

• waltwood
      • Dec 2011

Shop progress.

Comment

• Trowbrid
        • Mar 2018

Looks like a nice shop walt. Will there only be the one entrance or is there another way to load in material and machines? Do you ever use the zip system sheeting on any of your projects? I see that becoming more popular in this area.

Comment

• Cogeniac
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by waltwood
          I always enjoy seeing Makoto a very handsome boat.

I am not sure what I said but my roof beams span about 9'6", they are 2 x 6 tapered to 3 3/4" on the outsides 2 foot on center. Surprisingly there is not much deflection due to the 1 inch thick Core cell on top that is glassed on both sides. From being a house builder I know spanning a 2 x 4 18' is way undersized. The Building Code says a Spruce 2 x 4 16" on center can only span 8'7" when used on a roof. I don't know if this answers your question.

Walt
          Sorry. I wasn't clear.

The existing roof is 12.5 feet between walls. The eaves go out an additional 18 inches on both sides for a total span of just under 16 feet.

One issue is that the eaves end short of the deck, so water drips down onto the deck, instead of into the water.

In addition, the existing 2x6 roof is flat, and this it leaks (40 years old...).

My plan is to remove the roofing materials to expose the sheathing, remove the fascia boards, cut back the sheathing at the edges so I can add extension 2x6s to extend the eaves out past the decks, and add crowned 2x4s on TOP of the existing roof to get the curve. SO the 2x4s are not load bearing, they are there to create the curve so the roof will drain.

I was then planning to sheath the 2x4s, out down tar paper and attach curved corrugated steel panels for the new roof.

My question for your project had to do with the radius of curvature of your roof. But you have answered that with your numbers. It sounds as of the overall rise is about 2 inches from the edge to the middle.

Scott
          Now is a good time!

sigpic
          Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Comment

• waltwood
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Trowbrid
            Looks like a nice shop walt. Will there only be the one entrance or is there another way to load in material and machines? Do you ever use the zip system sheeting on any of your projects? I see that becoming more popular in this area.
            There are 3 entrances. a 4' door shown, a 3' door on the other end and the dormer has a door for bringing lumber inside.
            There is a garage on the rear that has not been framed yet. I have not used the Zip system because I like Advanteck but everyone loves it.

Comment

• waltwood
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Cogeniac
              Sorry. I wasn't clear.

The existing roof is 12.5 feet between walls. The eaves go out an additional 18 inches on both sides for a total span of just under 16 feet.

One issue is that the eaves end short of the deck, so water drips down onto the deck, instead of into the water.

In addition, the existing 2x6 roof is flat, and this it leaks (40 years old...).

My plan is to remove the roofing materials to expose the sheathing, remove the fascia boards, cut back the sheathing at the edges so I can add extension 2x6s to extend the eaves out past the decks, and add crowned 2x4s on TOP of the existing roof to get the curve. SO the 2x4s are not load bearing, they are there to create the curve so the roof will drain.

I was then planning to sheath the 2x4s, out down tar paper and attach curved corrugated steel panels for the new roof.

My question for your project had to do with the radius of curvature of your roof. But you have answered that with your numbers. It sounds as of the overall rise is about 2 inches from the edge to the middle.

Scott
              No I did not understand that you wanted to know how much curvature was in the roof. It's not much but I think it will shed off water good.

I built a houseboat 20 years ago that I put roof overhangs so the water would clear the deck and it cause a problem with windage. It was used in a very windy area and when the wind blew from the side it would list. The people I sold it to moved it to the ocean where the conditions were even worse. On this build I decided to make the overhangs minimal but adequate and just deal with the rain water landing on the decks. I gather from what you were saying, your house boat is not in a windy area.

Comment

• waltwood
                • Dec 2011

I have been working full time doing carpentry which has kept me from working on the houseboat. We have two days left on the woodworking shop shown on the previous post and tomorrow we are starting another shop for a waterman. I guess building shops is going to be our thing. It's not what we planned, but it's work we like. We hope to build some new houses next year.
                I haven't been inspired due to really hot weather even into the Fall. I've had a difficult time finding a qualified person to rig the outboard motor. Everyone says it's real easy but I don't know how to do it. I have found a man who started his own business about two years ago that really impresses me. He has come to look at the boat twice this week and will do all the hook ups but wants me to drill the holes and loosely run the cables , hoses, and wiring harness. This is good with me because about all I know how to do is drill the holes.
                I've had to enlarge the hole for the rigging tube because the bulkhead flange was backwards. The thickness of the stern is 4 inches where these holes need to go. The other two holes are for the hydraulic steering hoses. I like these bulkhead mounted fittings.
                Working conditions are better in cooler weather in the bow shed so maybe we can get some work done soon.

Comment

• Figment
                  Gluten Enthusiast
                  • Dec 2001

Wow, an honest-to-goodness cord-powered drill!
                  People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• Thad
                    • May 2000

Lying on it's side wrapped in it's cord, but drilling big long holes might kill the battery and call for the corded. I've had that happen.

Comment

• ben2go
                      Salty Sinker
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Thad
                      Lying on it's side wrapped in it's cord, but drilling big long holes might kill the battery and call for the corded. I've had that happen.
                      Add me to that list and recently too.
                      This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Comment

• waltwood
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Gib Etheridge
                        Such nice clean work. Do you have a link for that hardware?
                        The steering hoses are made by Uflex. The larger flange does not have a name on it.

Comment

• waltwood
                          • Dec 2011

I love that Porter Cable drill! I have owned it more than 35 years. I grab it every time I need to drill something that I think will kill the batteries on the cordless drill only to find it has a 3/8" chuck and the bit won't fit in it.
                          Cordless drills have really come a long way. My neighbor changes the tires on his combine with one- amazing!

Comment

• ahamaywine
                            • Sep 2013

I love seeing the "side projects" boat builders work on. (aka - usually their income, for example on my "side job" I'm a middle school music and choir teacher)
                            Beautiful shop! Also, love the barge build!

-Joe

Comment

• waltwood
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ahamaywine
                              I love seeing the "side projects" boat builders work on. (aka - usually their income, for example on my "side job" I'm a middle school music and choir teacher)
                              Beautiful shop! Also, love the barge build!

-Joe
                              thanks, can't wait to post the finished shop. We have about 2 days left on it.

Comment

• waltwood
                                • Dec 2011

We mounted the console which required putting up the plywood walls. We leveled it, drilled 3 holes, and bolted it to the mounting area. Next we ran hoses, electrical harness, instrument wires, and control cables from the motor thru the walls to the console. The control cables are 38' long and I checked with a couple experts before choosing the helm location. They said no problem getting everything that long and one guy said "think about work boats, they have very long runs". I'm not saying they were wrong but it was hard to get all the components to locate it that far from the motor. Then we removed the console so it would be easier for the rigger to hook up everything in the console. I was also missing a few things related to the fuel system and got some of them.

Last edited by waltwood; 11-18-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...