Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10192021 LastLast

Thread: Building Another Barge?

Default Re: Building Another Barge?

This thread is incredible. I'm glad I'm self employed because any other boss would have fired me for my production the last hour. I am assuming you are somewher on the Chesapeake right? I saw a barge/shanty/whatever you call it boat up in Maine and I didn't take a picture, but the folks on it looked so relaxed! Is there a target launch date or are you like me and on no real schedule?
    Take Care,
    Steve W

Honeoye Falls, New York
    Building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III "Jazz Hands"
    Spindrift 11N Suzy J Build Pictures
    A little video of the Suzy J and my youngest son

Yes I am on what is called the Lower Bay about 50 miles from the southern part and interestingly the widest part which is 19 1/2 miles. There is nothing but shoal waters to the north of us on our side of the Bay. This is where we enjoy cruising and the houseboat will be good for that. As far as completion, I am hoping for October but after trying to retire for a year and a half my Son and I have gone into the construction business and I am busier than I have been in 5 years making the houseboat less of a priority.
    Walt
    Last edited by waltwood; 08-01-2018 at 06:40 PM.

I cut several controls into the console. Compass, shift/throttle, tach and switch.

I see a good place for a brown bottle holder.

I've decided to slow down on my charge to get my sailboat done. I'll finish it by spring. I've been 75% complete for 6 months if you know what I mean. I'm building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III for some trailer sailing adventures. When I get down your way someday I'd like to see her in person. Beautiful!
    Take Care,
    Steve W

Honeoye Falls, New York
    Building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III "Jazz Hands"
    Spindrift 11N Suzy J Build Pictures
    A little video of the Suzy J and my youngest son

Since no work has been done on the houseboat I thought I would show what I was doing. I mentioned in a post above that I had re-entered the construction business with my Son and our first major job is building a shop. People in this forum seem to like shops and shop construction so I thought I would post it. The owner plans to build furniture in it. It is going to a very tall building for its footprint. I will post another picture later.

Hi Walt;

Great thread! Amazing level of craftsmanship !

One of the interesting things I learned when building a new aft canopy for MAKOTO was that if the rib curvature is the same, then you have two choices. Drop the center line as the beam narrows, or let the edges flare up. Like most classic vessels, I chose the upward flare.

In case you have not seen, I am renovating a 45 foot 1960's houseboat in the Sacramento Delta. The roof on these boats was made flat, and of course, despite 30+ years of various roofing goop, they leak. I am planning to strip off the existing roofing down tot he sheathing, and put curved "joists" on top of the existing joists and sheathing. I'll then re-sheath it, and use a corrugated steel roof covering (matched the other structures in the area, sheds heat and lasts a long time inboxed the dry heat the delta).

I plan to reuse the concave waste from cutting the convex joists to use as ceiling joists to curve the interior ceiling to match.

My question is related to the amount of curve you used. You mentioned that you used 2x4's and a 30 foot radius. By my calculations a 30 foot radius would net an edge to center height variation of about 7 inches. How do you get that from a 2x4?

My span is 18 feet (to get the drip edge off the deck to avoid rot on the siding and deck (a problem with these boats). So a 2x4 that I could re-use the waste from would need to have a rise of only about 3 1/2 inches (if I am careful with the off-cut). I might change that to 2x6, and do a 4 1/2 inch rise.

Thoughts?

Scott
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

I always enjoy seeing Makoto a very handsome boat.

I am not sure what I said but my roof beams span about 9'6", they are 2 x 6 tapered to 3 3/4" on the outsides 2 foot on center. Surprisingly there is not much deflection due to the 1 inch thick Core cell on top that is glassed on both sides. From being a house builder I know spanning a 2 x 4 18' is way undersized. The Building Code says a Spruce 2 x 4 16" on center can only span 8'7" when used on a roof. I don't know if this answers your question.

Walt

Shop progress.

Looks like a nice shop walt. Will there only be the one entrance or is there another way to load in material and machines? Do you ever use the zip system sheeting on any of your projects? I see that becoming more popular in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    I always enjoy seeing Makoto a very handsome boat.

I am not sure what I said but my roof beams span about 9'6", they are 2 x 6 tapered to 3 3/4" on the outsides 2 foot on center. Surprisingly there is not much deflection due to the 1 inch thick Core cell on top that is glassed on both sides. From being a house builder I know spanning a 2 x 4 18' is way undersized. The Building Code says a Spruce 2 x 4 16" on center can only span 8'7" when used on a roof. I don't know if this answers your question.

Walt
    Sorry. I wasn't clear.

The existing roof is 12.5 feet between walls. The eaves go out an additional 18 inches on both sides for a total span of just under 16 feet.

One issue is that the eaves end short of the deck, so water drips down onto the deck, instead of into the water.

In addition, the existing 2x6 roof is flat, and this it leaks (40 years old...).

My plan is to remove the roofing materials to expose the sheathing, remove the fascia boards, cut back the sheathing at the edges so I can add extension 2x6s to extend the eaves out past the decks, and add crowned 2x4s on TOP of the existing roof to get the curve. SO the 2x4s are not load bearing, they are there to create the curve so the roof will drain.

I was then planning to sheath the 2x4s, out down tar paper and attach curved corrugated steel panels for the new roof.

My question for your project had to do with the radius of curvature of your roof. But you have answered that with your numbers. It sounds as of the overall rise is about 2 inches from the edge to the middle.

Scott
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Quote Originally Posted by Trowbrid View Post
    Looks like a nice shop walt. Will there only be the one entrance or is there another way to load in material and machines? Do you ever use the zip system sheeting on any of your projects? I see that becoming more popular in this area.
    There are 3 entrances. a 4' door shown, a 3' door on the other end and the dormer has a door for bringing lumber inside.
    There is a garage on the rear that has not been framed yet. I have not used the Zip system because I like Advanteck but everyone loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogeniac View Post
    Sorry. I wasn't clear.

The existing roof is 12.5 feet between walls. The eaves go out an additional 18 inches on both sides for a total span of just under 16 feet.

One issue is that the eaves end short of the deck, so water drips down onto the deck, instead of into the water.

In addition, the existing 2x6 roof is flat, and this it leaks (40 years old...).

My plan is to remove the roofing materials to expose the sheathing, remove the fascia boards, cut back the sheathing at the edges so I can add extension 2x6s to extend the eaves out past the decks, and add crowned 2x4s on TOP of the existing roof to get the curve. SO the 2x4s are not load bearing, they are there to create the curve so the roof will drain.

I was then planning to sheath the 2x4s, out down tar paper and attach curved corrugated steel panels for the new roof.

My question for your project had to do with the radius of curvature of your roof. But you have answered that with your numbers. It sounds as of the overall rise is about 2 inches from the edge to the middle.

Scott
    No I did not understand that you wanted to know how much curvature was in the roof. It's not much but I think it will shed off water good.

I built a houseboat 20 years ago that I put roof overhangs so the water would clear the deck and it cause a problem with windage. It was used in a very windy area and when the wind blew from the side it would list. The people I sold it to moved it to the ocean where the conditions were even worse. On this build I decided to make the overhangs minimal but adequate and just deal with the rain water landing on the decks. I gather from what you were saying, your house boat is not in a windy area.

I have been working full time doing carpentry which has kept me from working on the houseboat. We have two days left on the woodworking shop shown on the previous post and tomorrow we are starting another shop for a waterman. I guess building shops is going to be our thing. It's not what we planned, but it's work we like. We hope to build some new houses next year.
    I haven't been inspired due to really hot weather even into the Fall. I've had a difficult time finding a qualified person to rig the outboard motor. Everyone says it's real easy but I don't know how to do it. I have found a man who started his own business about two years ago that really impresses me. He has come to look at the boat twice this week and will do all the hook ups but wants me to drill the holes and loosely run the cables , hoses, and wiring harness. This is good with me because about all I know how to do is drill the holes.
    I've had to enlarge the hole for the rigging tube because the bulkhead flange was backwards. The thickness of the stern is 4 inches where these holes need to go. The other two holes are for the hydraulic steering hoses. I like these bulkhead mounted fittings.
    Working conditions are better in cooler weather in the bow shed so maybe we can get some work done soon.

Such nice clean work. Do you have a link for that hardware?

Wow, an honest-to-goodness cord-powered drill!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Lying on it's side wrapped in it's cord, but drilling big long holes might kill the battery and call for the corded. I've had that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Lying on it's side wrapped in it's cord, but drilling big long holes might kill the battery and call for the corded. I've had that happen.
    Add me to that list and recently too.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Such nice clean work. Do you have a link for that hardware?
    The steering hoses are made by Uflex. The larger flange does not have a name on it.

Saved. Thanks Walt.

I love that Porter Cable drill! I have owned it more than 35 years. I grab it every time I need to drill something that I think will kill the batteries on the cordless drill only to find it has a 3/8" chuck and the bit won't fit in it.
    Cordless drills have really come a long way. My neighbor changes the tires on his combine with one- amazing!

I love seeing the "side projects" boat builders work on. (aka - usually their income, for example on my "side job" I'm a middle school music and choir teacher)
    Beautiful shop! Also, love the barge build!

-Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ahamaywine View Post
    I love seeing the "side projects" boat builders work on. (aka - usually their income, for example on my "side job" I'm a middle school music and choir teacher)
    Beautiful shop! Also, love the barge build!

-Joe
    thanks, can't wait to post the finished shop. We have about 2 days left on it.

We mounted the console which required putting up the plywood walls. We leveled it, drilled 3 holes, and bolted it to the mounting area. Next we ran hoses, electrical harness, instrument wires, and control cables from the motor thru the walls to the console. The control cables are 38' long and I checked with a couple experts before choosing the helm location. They said no problem getting everything that long and one guy said "think about work boats, they have very long runs". I'm not saying they were wrong but it was hard to get all the components to locate it that far from the motor. Then we removed the console so it would be easier for the rigger to hook up everything in the console. I was also missing a few things related to the fuel system and got some of them.

Last edited by waltwood; 11-18-2018 at 07:00 PM.

This is a cotton field across the road from where we live. It's a really neat crop and my wife and I enjoy it when it gets to it's final stage. This same farmer has planted several fields of it in our neck. This is the northern most point in the US that cotton is grown. The day after I took this picture, he harvested it. This bale shown is about 1 ton and a half of compressed cotton.

Flickr was down so I'll post photos when they come back.

Cotton, it covers some of our low country. Pretty neat plant. Fascinating how it's used to make really durable clothing and other stuff.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

The man who is going to rig the motor, Josh, just came by for his 3rd visit to see what stuff he needs and advise me on my preparatory task.

This is a woodworking shop that we just completed shown on previous posts. Our contract did not include building the four doors which will be done by the owner who has some woodworking skills

Good deal on getting help installing the motor on the boat.

That's a nice shop. Looks like a small cottage. Is it two story or high ceilings for space?

yeah that shop has a real Roy Underhill kinda feel to it

very nice sense of scale there.
    The brickface on the foundation is a very nice touch.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    This is a cotton field across the road from where we live. It's a really neat crop and my wife and I enjoy it when it gets to it's final stage. This same farmer has planted several fields of it in our neck. This is the northern most point in the US that cotton is grown. The day after I took this picture, he harvested it. This bale shown is about 1 ton and a half of compressed cotton.

Flickr was down so I'll post photos when they come back.
    Those are called modules. Thatís roughly 13-15 bales of cotton.

That machine is a module maker. It compacts the lint and trash. Later, a special tilt bed module mover will take them to the gin. The floor of a module mover is covered with little conveyors with teeth that grab the lint from underneath and scooch the whole deal onto and off the bed.

Modules eliminate the need for trailers.

They get dumped under the big vaccum hose at the gin just like a trailer would.

Peace,
    Worked Cotton Before

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Good deal on getting help installing the motor on the boat.

That's a nice shop. Looks like a small cottage. Is it two story or high ceilings for space?
    It has a full second floor. It was going to be wood storage but now maybe the showroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    yeah that shop has a real Roy Underhill kinda feel to it

very nice sense of scale there.
    The brickface on the foundation is a very nice touch.
    The owner designed it and he did a good job. we lost our butts on the job and glad to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Those are called modules. That’s roughly 13-15 bales of cotton.

That machine is a module maker. It compacts the lint and trash. Later, a special tilt bed module mover will take them to the gin. The floor of a module mover is covered with little conveyors with teeth that grab the lint from underneath and scooch the whole deal onto and off the bed.

Modules eliminate the need for trailers.

They get dumped under the big vaccum hose at the gin just like a trailer would.

Peace,
    Worked Cotton Before
    I would like to see the gin operate, I bet it is interesting.

Today, the mechanic Josh, came to hook up the outboard motor and controls. He is a very good mechanic and I am impressed with his overall knowledge of boats. I did not get all of the stuff done I should have before he came, but it's been cold and I've been busy.

There were a couple incorrect parts, a couple missing items, and the tachometer harness was too short after all the effort. Otherwise, he made a great start on hooking everything else up. This picture shows the steering but nothing else is permanently connected .