Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 343525354 LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,855 of 1858

Thread: What's for dinner

Default Re: What's for dinner

We went to the taco shop. Abuela was there and she yelled at us for not being around enough.

Grande chile verde burrito, por favor, con todo. Oh, and two Red Stripes.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Frozen Veggies and Frozen fries
    Wrong, two out of two. "Home made" is how they describe those Belgian Fries. Made here... on the premises, but I do have a Belgian supervising that process.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Wrong, two out of two. "Home made" is how they describe those Belgian Fries. Made here... on the premises, but I do have a Belgian supervising that process.
    Sorry I gonna have to call BS on that. I worked in the business, Those are DEFINITELY not Belgian fries they are FROZEN crinkle cut fries and veggies. Even with a quality mandoline with attachments those still look machine made frozen. I call SA rules on your Belgian fries.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Sorry I gonna have to call BS on that. I worked in the business, Those are DEFINITELY not Belgian fries they are FROZEN crinkle cut fries and veggies. Even with a quality mandoline with attachments those still look machine made frozen. I call SA rules on your Belgian fries.

Still intent on pissing off the other visitors to the thread, Joe?

You might have been "in the business".... but you are plain, 100% WRONG.

I could post the look on her face when I told her what you wrote... but she'd probably poison me if I did.

She cut the chips (French Fries to you, Belgian Fries to those from the country where they originated), she cut the carrots... and the broccoli is, as always, fresh.

She goes to the fruit and vegie market every single day, btw. As I think I've already mentioned... we do two types of chips... French Fries (we have to run with the crowd on that name) and Homemade Fries.

I will await your apology, because I know you are a man of substance, who wouldn't like his errors to go uncorrected.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

... and I watched her cut these greens too

Just finished it... lunch

Since we aren't on SA I guess we will just have to take your word for it.

FWIW the above veggies totally look hand cut, so I guess she lost her crinkle cut machine ?

BTW I've been to Belgium and I've enjoyed some Belgian fries and they ALL look like this and served with mayo

Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 01-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Ummm... Joe? My mom had a kitchen tool (it looked a bit like the cool knife that Spinner has offered to the BROTHOTY) that had a wavy blade that cut vegetables into 'crinkle-cut'. The idea existed before the American frozen food industry mass-produced the products. Just sayin'...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Ummm... Joe? My mom had a kitchen tool (it looked a bit like the cool knife that Spinner has offered to the BROTHOTY) that had a wavy blade that cut vegetables into 'crinkle-cut'. The idea existed before the American frozen food industry mass-produced the products. Just sayin'...
    I know
    I have one as well
    I have also have a mandoline with that capability

Look see SA rules

HipstamaticPhoto-569010069.690371.jpg

OriginalPhoto-569010534.979879.jpg

HipstamaticPhoto-569011933.443217.jpg
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 01-12-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Well, now I gotta make fries for dinner.

Thanks.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Well, now I gotta make fries for dinner.

Thanks.

Peace,
    Robert
    Ya know what I think I am too.
    I'm gonna go FULL ON BRUSSELS

Moules Provencál with a big heaping of fries (pommes frites) and homemade sriracha infused aioli (mayo )

Ya know what I think I am too.
    I'm gonna go FULL ON BRUSSELS

Moules Provencál with a big heaping of fries (pommes frites) and homemade sriracha infused aioli (mayo )
    I’m going full French cut, double fried fries. And, since the fryer will be out, maybe we can talk Honeybunches into making churros. Mmmm... churros...

Peace,
    We Will Have No Aioli

Mmmmmmmm churros .........

I call dishes that require a long time standing at the counter sieges. But some of them are worth the pain.

Eggplant Parmesan, f'rinstance.

My recipe starts: go to the greenhouse and pick about 14-16 ripe roma-style tomatoes. Made the sauce the day before and simmered it with homegrown herbs. The eggplant (hand cut ) was dredged in flour and browned in olive oil so extra-virginal it could enter a convent. Laid down three layers with grated cheese, half mozzarella and half parmesan– the good stuff.

When I took the foil off, I adorned it with sprigs of fresh basil from the greenhouse, which gives it a Uccello touch.

Serve with a bottle or two of this, if you can get it:

Otherwise, a good California zinfandel works.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Chip-Skiff, that looks fabulous.

This evening we are off to a friend's house for chicken wings. I have no idea how or what they will be, as this is our first time having dinner with them. I do understand, though, that Murray likes hot, so I am hopeful. But no matter the meal, the friendship and laughter will make it delicious.

Chip-Skiff YUM !!!!!!

Im in love with Primativos
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 01-12-2019 at 04:02 PM.

The eggplant looks great!

FWIW, I like mine sliced super-thin. I use Joe's mandolin for that. I layer four thin slices or so per layer.

I also add ricotta to the mozz and parmesan; like 40 ricott'-- 40 mozz--10 percent parmesan.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I went to the kitchen earlier and was reminded of this thread.......

Belgian Fries have been quite the topic here recently.... and the mad professor (of economics) from Belgium, who is one of my riding mates here - and also the person responsible for our most recent addition to the menu - tells me that choice of potato is critical to decent fries. He also says that Tum cuts them too large... but one step at a time, eh? Also, IIRC, they are double fried - at two different temperatures. He's going to review our processes...

He was one of seven of us up at Cave Lodge this week on an overnight ride (along with his wife)... and he was regaling us with a tale of a business dinner in Europe (pretty sure it was in Belgium)... at a Michelin three star restaurant where he was a regular. His American guest asked the waiter for ketchup. The waiter fetched the chef, who threw the guy out of the restaurant and told his father never to bring him back.

Meanwhile.... I had homemade fries again last night for dinner. The fish in garlic is one of my go-to's here. Yeah, I'd already squeezed the lemon when I took the shot... and yeah, I had tomato sauce on the chips. Oh, and a mug of Magners....

A dark, windy January evening. Colleen (my wife) and I are in the kitchen, cooking up roast potatoes and all the extras...she's going for steak, me a veggie alternative. The radio's on, and we hear the 5.30pm shipping forecast.

It's grim out, tonight. We're warm in the kitchen. A low over the Norwegian Sea has led to storm force winds around the UK. "Force 8 rising to 9 later."

"What," say I, mashing neeps, "are my chances of getting you sailing in that?"

A pause.

"Rockall"
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

That's humorous, Andy. Ian, your fish dinner looks good - wings were warm and friendly, the beer was cold, and the laughter plentiful, but a small order of double-fried fries with some coarse ground salt and malt vinegar would be an apres-evening snack...

Chicken and sausage paella. My daughter's request for her 20th birthday. She doesn't like seafood much. Nobody's perfect, but she's pretty close.

Spare ribs done "low `n slow."
    Nosce te ipsum

Not looking to fire up the argument again. I love my PL-8 mandoline, a really nice one—

The wavy cuts on chips/fries seem to be on two opposing faces, while the remaining faces are flat.

To make wavy cuts on all four faces would require putting them through chip-by-chip (so to speak) which no restaurant cook would choose to do.

Is this correct, or is there some means of doing wavy cuts all around?
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Proper 'Belgian' style fries require two cuts per fry, regardless of whether you do them by hand or in a fancy cuttin' machine. First slice cuts potato discs with wavy cuts on 2 sides, then the discs get chopped into sticks with wavy blades, creating fries with wavy side on four sides. I guess all that effort is what makes them so special, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    Chicken and sausage paella. My daughter's request for her 20th birthday. She doesn't like seafood much. Nobody's perfect, but she's pretty close.

What a pretty girl, I guess her mom is where she got her looks? You are a Lucky man.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Not looking to fire up the argument again. (snip)

The wavy cuts on chips/fries seem to be on two opposing faces, while the remaining faces are flat.

To make wavy cuts on all four faces would require putting them through chip-by-chip (so to speak) which no restaurant cook would choose to do.

Is this correct, or is there some means of doing wavy cuts all around?

I think you will detect wavy cuts all around here... with the addition that there are chips from the edges of the potatoes too. Thais waste nothing... they would be mortified if someone requested just the square chips.

I was just in the kitchen and picked up the blade they use.... it's simply a wavy blade knife... and these restaurant cooks choose to do it that way.......

So, I'd promised to take Tum out for lunch yesterday, then a chain of events unfolded... people calling in to see us, etc. Eventually got out and took the new bike for a spin over to see Roddy Lorimer at a jam session at another bar. We ordered... Tom Yum and rice for her... cashew nut, chicken and rice for myself, and our friend Heinrich, who was with us. We gave up on the cashew/chicken dishes after two hours of waiting (and asking). It'd even been ordered in Thai... so no chance of it having been an interpretation issue. Anyhow, the music (and beers) was good. Tum must have phoned ahead.... I walked in, sat down and........

Well, you'd stack several chips, and cut maybe half a potato's worth at a time. Too laborious for a place turning over 100 servings a night, maybe, but if the labor is cheap and the volume is low..why not? Certainly doable for a meal at home.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Just had a craving for a scratch made chicken pot pie with all butter crust.

5ED786BD-7F43-4B17-A651-770BA1155CC8.jpg

Well, I just had a late breakfast.... cool morning here today (21C, but a cool breeze blowing - enough to force a light sweater for a while). So, instead of my usual banana, mango and yoghurt... it was rice soup with shrimp

No glass marbles for the photo... just a phone pic. Oi cooked it for me... and I must be in her good books. 8 prawns. "Too much" said Tum

Speaking of Tum, she did an off-menu meal for me the other night. Stir-fried tenderloin with veggies in a pepper sauce. With rice, of course. She wants to add it to the menu, but warned me " 'spensive " - she reckons it'll be about 300 baht, given the tenderloin - US$9

It was delicious... but I think she needs plating lessons. No frozen veggies!

I'd pay $9 for that. Got anything crispy for a side, such as banana chips?

I made this tonight

$9 with organic "air dried" chicken I have no idea what that is ...... California

BALSAMIC GLAZED CAPRESE CHICKEN is a family winner! Chicken cooked in a perfect balsamic reduction with tomatoes and melted mozzarella cheese! GET THE RECIPE HERE: https://cafedelites.com/…/balsamic-glazed-caprese-chicken-…/

baked caprese chicken thighs cooked right in a sweet, garlic balsamic glaze with juicy cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and topped with melted mozzarella cheese!

FREAKING DELICIOUS
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 01-15-2019 at 11:29 PM.

I made this tonight

BALSAMIC GLAZED CAPRESE CHICKEN is a family winner! Chicken cooked in a perfect balsamic reduction with tomatoes and melted mozzarella cheese! GET THE RECIPE HERE: https://cafedelites.com/…/balsamic-glazed-caprese-chicken-…/

Looks interesting. How did your's turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I'd pay $9 for that. Got anything crispy for a side, such as banana chips?
    Hmmm... hadn't thought of banana chips with my meal. The fruit shop just down the road does a lot of dried fruit. I'll give it a go at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Looks interesting. How did your's turn out?
    Perfect as usual and same price + leftovers

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Just had a craving for a scratch made chicken pot pie with all butter crust.

5ED786BD-7F43-4B17-A651-770BA1155CC8.jpg
    John there used to be a place - the "Ear Inn" in NYC the "Ear Inn" is because the neon sign has been broken decades ago, there is dock bollard out front that indicates where the Hudson River used to be, now its long blocks away.

OH AND THEY HAD AMAZING CHICKEN POT PIE

The James Brown House is a historic building in the Hudson Square neighborhood of New York City. It was built in the late 18th century. Today, it is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a City Landmark. It is one of the few existing examples of Federal architecture in New York. Its ground level is the site of The Ear Inn, one of the oldest existing taverns in New York City. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...se_(Manhattan)