Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 33424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,505 of 1732

Thread: What's for dinner

Default Re: What's for dinner

Cutlet of young Cascade black bear, sprinkled with Montreal steak seasoning, pan fried to well done.

what kind of wine goes with burnt assed greasy bear meat?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I'm impressed with the mildness of the flavor. And I trimmed every bit of silver off the piece. It was sublime.

Pretty happy about it. A meaty Zinfandel from Ravenswood would do nicely. Too bad I don't have a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    And I trimmed every bit of silver off the piece.
    i've only had it twice, and was told that's the secret to it. . .

i'm nit much interested in hunting bear myself, nor eating it again

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    what kind of wine goes with burnt assed greasy bear meat?
    Ripple

Bourbon and Dark Chocolate covered Almonds.
    been out tractoring all day, figures i’s better get something in me before i settle in to the couch to watch football

Pizza. Take-n-bake from Papa Murphy's. Beer. Might go whole hog a do some ice cream.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Slow cooker Italian pot roast / egg noodles / steamed asparagus

It was wonderful

And we have some lemon cake for dessert.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Went to a kai moana place called Squid’s in Whitianga NZ, on the Pacific side of the Coromandel Peninsula. They had some of the best green-lipped mussels I‘ve tasted (there are mussel farms not far off). Also wonderful calamari with a Thai chili dipping sauce.

My main was trevally fillet crusted with white and black sesame seeds, served on greens with a sweet-hot dressing.

Brilliant!
    Last edited by Chip-skiff; 10-14-2018 at 04:39 AM.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Chicken Cordon Bleu.

One of our additions to the menu. I think I'd prefer it with a sauce - honey mustard, or similar. I washed it down with Beer Lao Dark, one of the world's best beers... and followed up, just now with a Magners Cider.

I had to pass on a free ticket to the Night Safari with an American lady who is currently a regular customer. I took her to the Erotic Gardens yesterday.... and the boss here seemed to think another excursion might be inappropriate.

Meanwhile, I started the day with Thai cornflakes

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Cassoulet last night.... or, at least, my version of it:

The truly traditional French country dish has duck confit, French garlic sausages, and a particular variety of white bean. My version substitutes chicken thighs and sweet Italian sausage, as well as cannelini beans. SWMBO says it's my best dish.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Trying to decide if I'm doing beef stew tonight... or some Mondo Nachos...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Yesterday afternoon I made a pot of basmati rice with pink beans and ham. I'll be eating that for a couple of days.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Damn Norman that sounds looks spot on, and you even have it in Le Creuset, nice touche

We took the Vespa over to one of our favorite mexican places for dinner. Renee had the tacos al pastor, they are amazing shredded marinated pork with grilled pineapple served on soft flour tortilla. I had the tamales and we shared some great homemade guacamole.

fullsizeoutput_2163.jpg
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

One of my favourite meals here, over the years. Had it last night. John Dory fillet with garlic and home-made French fries

... not bad for under $4.60 eh? Sorry - we do take-away, but don't deliver.

Tonight... Massaman Curry. We put in a keg of the Magners Cider today. Only drink we have on tap... everything else is bottles or cans. The cider is the same price as the curry... $2.75 each. Who says Thailand isn't good value?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Made a pan of mondo nachos. Chicken, beans, salsa, chipotle & jalapeno peppers, chard, and tons of cheddar

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Chicken paprikash. Homemade spätzle. Ginormous amounts of Hungarian Paprika.

69205401-0904-49CB-95AC-17C3F0EB071B.jpg BB878FBE-1BFF-49AE-8F1E-27CD29CFA946.jpg
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 10-21-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Love Hungarian food. And C.paprikash is a fave. It's getting to be that time of year.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Well it’s cold and drizzly and grey and I was all up for searching out Detroit’s best hot Pastrami sandwich. Kat nixed that in the bud so I’m sitting at a bar eating oysters from Connecticut and drinking a Beefeater martini; waiting to get seated in the char house next door.

Its Hell I tell ya. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 10-27-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Cassoulet again, tonight. When something works well, it deserves to be repeated

Tomorrow: a home-made soup.... Vegetable base, but with potatoes, seasoned with thick cut bacon, Worcestershire, tobacco, and sharp cheddar cheese.... Sort of a baked potato soup. I have made this before, a number of times... Served with a nice crusty bread.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Made breakfast for dinner last night. A fritatta with lots of diced red bell peppers, some hard sauteed hard sausage (for flavor and crispiness), lots of garlic, and topped with cheddar choice finished under the broiler. Add toast and oj.

Tonight, I'm working on a project so will just grab leftovers. Maybe the last of the beef stew...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Boat dinner Friday night while fishing with my eldest boy.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

When we were in Russell, Bay of Islands, NZ, the winery kitchens were still closed for the season, but a woman in the ferry office said that Omata Estate might be open for one day, for a private function. She called them and they said we could squeak in around 2 pm.

We had a smoked fish board, with smoked hapuka, kingfish, salmon, mussels, etc.) and various relishes (beetroot, tapenade, spicy hummus). Pinot gris is the new favourite NZ wine.

Omata Estates also has wonderful syrah, and the 2015 Reserve is spectacular.

At a chi-chi café in Parnell, Auckland, NZ: a couple nice portions of lamb rump. . .

We had our biggest day ever (since I bought it) at the pub yesterday. I skipped lunch - then had an early dinner with a couple of Chicago lads (its crook when 50 year olds are lads, eh?) in town for a bit of riding. An old favourite... tenderloin steak. I'd watched the girls butcher it the day before. 250g. Best steak inside the moat... and it's not just me that says that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    We had our biggest day ever (since I bought it) at the pub yesterday. I skipped lunch - then had an early dinner with a couple of Chicago lads (its crook when 50 year olds are lads, eh?) in town for a bit of riding. An old favourite... tenderloin steak. I'd watched the girls butcher it the day before. 250g. Best steak inside the moat... and it's not just me that says that.

Onya, Mate!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Another big pan of nachos. This time with diced beef and a bit of bbq sauce for a twist.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Onya, Mate!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks Kevin

Dinner last night was "out". We went up to a "must do" restaurant in the region - but we went the long way, a 110 mile ride to get there. Coming home the direct way, it's under 50 miles. We went to Chang Dao Nest - this time to #2 restaurant. We went to the European-oriented #1 about five or six years back. I hear it's gone downhill somewhat since then. #2 is the local cuisine.

For starters, I had Sai Aua - homemade Northern Thai style herby sausage, served with crispy fresh vegetable salad. 105 baht. US$3.15

It was "herby" all right. I'd have said spicy. Damn spicy.

Next up was Penang curry, with beef. "Creamy Coconut Curry with Slow Cooked Beef (or Pork) with Kaffir Lime Leaves. 175 baht. US$5.25.

The beer was a "local" craft beer - brewed in Phnom Penh. We were discussing the penalty for illegally brewing beer here. It's ten years gaol / jail - more than the penalty for a driver wiping out a family of five on a scooter. The beer is Chiang Mai Red - with a picture of a baht bus on it. Had a couple.. and it wasn't bad. Switched to a "spensive" bottle of Aussie red after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Cassoulet last night.... or, at least, my version of it:

The truly traditional French country dish has duck confit, French garlic sausages, and a particular variety of white bean. My version substitutes chicken thighs and sweet Italian sausage, as well as cannelini beans. SWMBO says it's my best dish.

I haven't checked in on this thread in a few weeks!

That looks really good!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Chicken paprikash. Homemade spätzle. Ginormous amounts of Hungarian Paprika.

69205401-0904-49CB-95AC-17C3F0EB071B.jpg BB878FBE-1BFF-49AE-8F1E-27CD29CFA946.jpg

And this looks yummy too!
    Skip

For tonight: A Classic from Julia Child

Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon

https://www.garlicandzest.com/julia-...f-bourguignon/
    Skip

Went to visit the grandbaby last night. Mom had just bakes cookies. Cookies & milk was my dinner - chased with some robustly-rummed eggnog when I got home. Sometimes life is like that...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

chips
    dip
    beer
    alabama
    lsu

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    chips
    dip
    beer
    alabama
    lsu
    Please excuse— what food is alabama lsu?

Is grill pig meat with sauce very very hot?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Please excuse— what food is alabama lsu?

Is grill pig meat with sauce very very hot?
    That's easy

Alabama= best chicken and dumplings on the planet

New Orleans= fried oyster poor boys.