Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303940
Results 1,366 to 1,394 of 1394

Thread: What's for dinner

Default Re: What's for dinner

Chip-skiff, that looks good! Are Yukon Golds pumpkin?
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Someone was showing off their Shepherds's Pie the other day. It finally inspired me to make one.
    Last edited by David G; 04-01-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

three bone standing rib roast off the grill, its resting right now, while kat makes hollandaise sauce for the asparagus
    baked potatoes, also on the grill
    wish i had big ass giant new zealand cab from 2004 to go with, but we're slumming it tonight with a california cab of more modest vintage

the left overs will make the most exquisite steak philly inspired steak gourmet steak sandwiches
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Someone was showing off their Shepherds's Pie the other day. It finally inspired me to make one.
    Oh... and the first asparagus of the year.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Nothing fancy tonight, but the combination turned out well. Cheese omelette, with mostly sharp cheddar, and a dollop of gorgonzola. Roasted cabbage with salt/pepper/paprika & caraway seeds. Steamed asparagus with a lemon/garlic aioli.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just put the chicken thighs in to marinate for Chicken Tagine to feed the kids tonight. First time dish for me. Wish me luck. Jeebus saffron is expensive.

I'll pair it was a Greek Salad, and some chewy bread. Brownies for dessert.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Never tried Tagine, but I should give it a go.

We had friends over and I made eggplant parmesan.

Sauce from our greenhouse tomatoes, fresh basil, a delicious mess. With crusty bread, a fresh green salad, and a couple bottles of Ridge 2013 Zinfandel, in its prime.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! ŚCole Porter

Homemade everything: weissbier, bratwurst, blaukraut, sauerkraut, and potatoes. Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Chip-skiff, that looks good! Are Yukon Golds pumpkin?
    Potatoes. White with yellow flesh, very tasty, long storage life.

We're still eating last year's crop from the cellar. They'll run out in May.

I made that chicken Tagine, and the greek salad, for the kids last night. So tonight was leftovers. The greek salad really hit the spot. The chicken tagine was very good, but I was hoping for stellar. I'll do it slightly differently next time. A friend brought over a slab of home-made fudge, so I had a bit - with milk - for dessert. Delish.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Herself asked for Mac & Cheese, and I happened on a recipe in the NY Times for a stovetop version. No roux. Cream cheese for the creamy texture, with whole milk, sharp white cheddar, unsalted butter, and leftover penne.

Big hit. Definitely cook it again– so much simpler than the classic sort.

Just got an order of heirloom Mexican beans from an outfit called Rancho Gordo. This one is called the Yellow Indian Woman. I cooked the beans in a pressure cooker (we're at about 2300m / 8000 ft.) Then I simmered the beans with finely-minced onion, carrot, celery, and garlic for an hour or so. They were delicious right out of the pot: plump, meaty, with a silky broth.

With the order came a cookbook: The Rancho Gordo Vegetarian Kitchen. I flopped it open at random and cooked the recipe on that page, which he calls breakfast, but which also made a great dinner. An asparagus nest filled with beans and topped with a poached egg.

We've been shifting away from meat and this sort of delicious thing is a great incentive.

https://www.ranchogordo.com/

Haven't done much exciting for dinner lately. But today's lunch was a keeper. My sweetie made a mushroom-based chicken spread, so I had some of that on rye toast, with melted Stilton. Oven-roasted potatoes on the side, with some of that Indian ketchup. Pilsner to drink, since I'm taking the day off. Hot dang... I want ANOTHER. Oops... the weight-loss plan says otherwise. So I'll just sit here and savor the memory.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I will put the keker peas, or chicken peas in the water for hummus and falafels next week. You guys make me hungry.

A good trick for potatoes. Cube and boil until barely tender. Let cool. Toss with kosher salt and olive oil. Roast on a baking sheet at about 400░F until slightly browned.

Crisp crust around a fluffy center.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    A good trick for potatoes. Cube and boil until barely tender. Let cool. Toss with kosher salt and olive oil. Roast on a baking sheet at about 400░F until slightly browned.

Crisp crust around a fluffy center.
    That's was my sweetie does. And they are really good, indeed. Only she does them as wedges.
    Last edited by David G; 04-28-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Pork knuckle.

porkknuckle.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

What is the Indonesian word for Kosher? Pork knuckle aint it!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    What is the Indonesian word for Kosher? Pork knuckle aint it!
    I believe the word you are seeking is halal (permissable). The opposite of that is haram (forbidden).

I thought it was clear in the photo that she was cutting up my meal for me
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Copper River salmon from 2017, vacuum-packed and frozen. Yukon Gold potato salad, near the last of the 2017 crop from the cellar, on romaine lettuce. Greenhouse tomato, sliced.

Hahn California pinot noir, not costly but very good. As I get older, modest portions are becoming the rule.

I spatchcocked a chicken for the first time and grilled it. It turned out well
    Last edited by Bobcat; 04-30-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

SWMBO is on a campaign for healthier dinners these days.... possibly as a result of my gaining about 10 lbs over the winter

So, last night, I made cioppino... or, at least, MY version of the classic Italian fish soup/stew... super easy and quick, and pretty healthy.

It starts with a couple of vidalia onions, sweated in a large soup pot.... add chicken stock and a large can of diced tomatoes, a couple of diced Yukon Gold potatoes, a bunch of chopped parsley, some rosemary and thyme... and simmer for a half hour, until the potatoes are tender:

Ten minutes before serving, add the fish. Last night, it was haddock and shrimp, both of which were on sale yesterday:

Served in soup bowls, with some crusty ciabatta bread.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

I'm in Italy on business. Had the octopus and white asparagus. Bene!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Salad's made, and I'm grilling some rockfish fillets as we speak.
    Last edited by David G; 05-19-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

In Murano, Italy. This pasta dish with crumbled fresh fish and tomatoes in a light herb sauce was outstanding.Finished with a espresso macchiato.

Kevin

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I can't compete with what I'm seeing here. Tonight I will make some tarragon chicken salad just for nibbles, but I honestly don't know what is for dinner.

I'm at a New York Mets game tonight. Pre-game Pastrami in the Foxwoods Club.

Kevin

Rotini pasta tonight with shrimp & marina sauce. Also - black olives, garlic, basil, lime, and fresh-ground pepper. My sweetie also had salad. I stuck with the pasta for an appetizer. And dessert.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Home made corn tortillas with salsa,guacamole,tomatos and leftover chicken. I have trouble building up a stack as the first one is eaten before the next one is done