Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18272829 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner

Default Re: What's for dinner

For the Wolf Goddess's birthday, I roasted a chicken with butter and heaps of garlic. After a leftover night with cold chicken, I stripped the carcass, set the meat aside, and made a big pot of stock.

Tonight, we had classic chicken soup—carrot, onion and celery with those big, ropy noodles (she loves 'em, me not so much). Little bit of sage, a bay leaf, salt and pepper. Not photogenic, but awfully good.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Pastrami on rye,both home made last night and smoked roast chicken with red spuds and asparagus tonight.It'll be leftovers tomorrow.

Take away chook from a local place and our own veggies. They do it well.
    I've been teaching 5 women the basics of welding this arvo and Anne has been running a community arts session. And it's raining and cool, in February.... Enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    ehhhhem vintage of your Stag's Leap SLV ? Damn nice Pizza oven BTW WHOA !!!!!!!
    2011. I'll be saving the one bottle of 2013 I have for a while.

Well. We made beef flautas. And I made refried black beans, and lightly sautéed some asparagus with some red onion. Also, a red leaf butter lettuce, pecan, kumquat, red onion, and chia seed salad, with a spritz of hemp seed oil and balsamic vinegar.
    After I ate this, I ate another helping about the same size. Then I had a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a cup of coffee. Then I had two Christmas granny apples and some feta cheese.

Then I went to sleep and slept.

Peace,
    Robert

Bison ribeye steak, a bit narrower than the monster beef steaks. I divided it and took the skinny end. heated in a 250° oven to 110°F, then finished under the broiler. Too cold and windy out for the grill.

Leftover boiled spuds from our garden, fried crisp. Nice, young asparagus from Mexico— a treat in winter. Found a lonely bottle of red (cab, merlot, syrah) in the bottom space on the rack, no idea where we got it. 2009, so I reckoned it was ready for some air. The label's nice—

I ate so much yesterday that I hardly ate today. 'Dinner' was a tollhouse cookie and a glass of milk.

Yesterday was great - went to the coast. For lunch - at the Rogue brewpub in Astoria, I had fried oysters. One of my favorite meals, and they did them well. Pilsner to drink. Then I had dinner at an old friends place. They made pork noodles, brownies, and tollhouse cookies. Maybe I'll eat tomorrow.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Tonight? Herself has a birthday - so rack of lamb, asparagus, roasted potatoes with Rosemary and garlic, and a rather Brilliant cake made by the Daughter and her guy.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

It has been so long since I had lamb. . .
    Kat does not care for it, so we never cook it at home. We need to go hit one of the many fine 'Mediterranean' restaurants in Detroit so I can order it.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Was gonna do lobster, but the butcher at the market yesterday had this brilliant rack for a surprising price; local producer. Decent Aussie Shiraz/Viognier to go with it too.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Chicken and Yellow rice tonight.
    Recipe from the Columbia restaurant in Ybor City.

Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

I made bratwurst today

[IMG][/IMG]

Dinner, brats mashed potatoes and asparagus ahhh,comfort food

[IMG][/IMG]

I made two trays of baked ziti today. One to eat now and one to freeze for later. ( just as easy to make two as one)

A crisp salad and garlic bread will accompany. Banana splits for dessert.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Changing planes in RDU and don't know if my upgrade ( and free dinner) will go through so I am trying a BBQ place in terminal B.

Here we have the brisket, green beans, potato casserole ( spuds, broccoli, cheddar) cornbread and a Coke. My review? " Not horrible."

Kevin

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Miserable weather here,just the night for some comfort food. I made a Toad in the hole with my bratwursts. I served the sausages over big slices of the pudding, all smothered in roasted onion gravy with a slice of buttermilk oatmeal bread for mopping,oh and an obligitory serving of greens.

Tonight: roast brussel's sprouts and spanish onions, smashed potatoes, baked chinook salmon, and green beans.

Panera is putting out a nice tomato basil bread. I picked up some pot roast and made a lazy evening of it.

For St. Patrick's Day, that longtime favourite: colcannon. With home-cured bacon and potatoes grown in our own soil, as our ancestors wished for on leaving their homes.

But first, a glass of The Product—

When it comes to draught-style, the pint cans (with a gas cartridge) are superior to the 12 oz. bottles. And here's the main dish:

I mash the spuds without peeling them, for the vitamins. (Extra butter for those.) In Nicholas Mosse pottery bowls from Kilkenny.

Left over chicken curry, as a pizza topping. Washed down with a glass of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. And then another glass of the same.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

A Cromer crab,followed by raspberry and vanilla cheesecake.Washed down by a couple of glasses of cider from Normandy.All of it good.

Went to the fish store yesterday. So for lunch today I pan-fried a dozen beer-battered Willapa Bay oysters. Served with rotini w/olive oil & parmesan, and some steamed zukes. The rest of the beer to wash it down. I think the other dozen are going to make an oyster stew.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Roast rib of beef, roasted tatties carrots ans parsnip, sugar snap peas, French beans, and Yorkshires. Followed by lemon meringue pie wi' cream.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Roast rib of beef, roasted tatties carrots ans parsnip, sugar snap peas, French beans, and Yorkshires. Followed by lemon meringue pie wi' cream.
    One of my all time favorite meals. Yum!

Kevin

Homemade calzones. Mine was homemade mozzarella, ricotta, anchovies, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms and onions. Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    Homemade calzones. Mine was homemade mozzarella, ricotta, anchovies, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms and onions. Yum.
    Yum

What a great bunch of menus are revealed here!

Tonight was salmon, roasted beets, cottage cheese, rye toast, and cardboard cab.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Couves. Azorean kale soup.

We ate with my wife's grands, the kid's great grands.

Papa was telling us about being pulled over in a 46 ford he bought just after the war, because the cop hadn't seen a new car in so long, he just wanted to look at it.
    The 40 was different, y'all.

Peace,
    Robert

Toad in the hole,mashed spuds and asparagus with onion gravy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bushel of fresh Mussels
    Block of Kerry Gold Garlic and herb infused butter
    White wine
    Garlic
    Two Large Fennel bulbs
    Fennel seeds
    Bottle of Pernod
    2 lemons
    Fresh twigs of tarragon
    a couple of vine ripened tomatoes
    2 par baked baguettes

Dinner tonight - Moules Provençale

Photos to follow
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Thai peanut tofu noodles. Still doing the vegetarian thing. This was pretty dang good.
    http://www.daringgourmet.com/thai-peanut-tofu-noodles/

Just making up a pot of oyster stew. The smell is making me hungry.

ETA - having sampled the first bowl, I am quite pleased. I really love oysters, and esp. oyster stew.
    Last edited by David G; 03-22-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Moules Provençale

[/img]https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17424605_10210325837235764_280933692815889550_n.jp g?oh=57b675ef7db49f21b5c357dd9a7d5744&oe=5971704B[/img]

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Cooking a cauliflower head on the EGG brushed with olive oil and smoked paprika. I'd do bad things for a steak right now...

Beef and broccoli stir fry. What you see is what you get. Served over sticky rice ( not shown).

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Couves. Azorean kale soup.

We ate with my wife's grands, the kid's great grands.

Papa was telling us about being pulled over in a 46 ford he bought just after the war, because the cop hadn't seen a new car in so long, he just wanted to look at it.
    The 40 was different, y'all.

Peace,
    Robert
    Maybe not so different Rob. I often get pulled over by the highway patrol just because they want to check out the car! Guess the first question is? Right after the obvious "Have you been drinking." I had to ask him WTF? He said I was driving erratically, I called BS. Right then next guestion was "How much horsepower does this thing have?" I laughed, he blushed...
    Highway patrol are often "car guys"
    They will be very interested in your 3 wheeler. Right after "Have you been drinking?" will be "What kind of engine is that?"

Tostadas... with everything