Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24333435 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,190 of 1269

Thread: What's for dinner

Default Re: What's for dinner

The foodie ratio in this place is off the chart.
    Ya'll "get" food.
    Nosce te ipsum

Default What's for dinner

Fresh-caught Black Sea Bass. A sweet fleshed fish, I dose the filets with salt , pepper and lemon. Then I drop them, skin side down, into a sizzling hot pan with a drop of oil and a big pat of butter. Squeeze half a lemon over all. Flip. Enjoy with a garden salad and a roll.

Here's what they look like when just caught.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Breakaway; 07-16-2017 at 06:54 PM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I haven't had oxtail soup since my grandmother died. Going to have to make some, now.

Kevin

The Princess had never made it, but someone brought some to an open feast towards the end of Ramadan. We both enjoyed it and she's made it twice since.

I went simple for Sunday night dinner. Potato and Leek soup. Perfect, given the damn tooth problem I'd had (sinus infection... ugh - but the pills seem to be winning). Wrong bread, but there was some left over from the pizzas I made for lunch.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

What's for dinner? Well we're in Bourbon County, Kentucky; so bourbon for dinner and maybe a ribeye on the side.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Bone in.
    Nosce te ipsum

Don't know about dinner, but we're churning Green Tea Ice cream at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Bone in.
    Suck the marrow out of life!

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Suck the marrow out of life!
    And make it buy you a Lotus!
    Nosce te ipsum

Thick lambchops from a nearby farm with new potatoes and garden purple scallions, all cooked on a two-zone fire.

Chateau Ste. Michelle Special reserve Cab Sauv from Washington, rilly delish!
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

I made sausages yesterday. My favorite Classic Bratwurst.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Fresh-caught Black Sea Bass. A sweet fleshed fish, I dose the filets with salt , pepper and lemon. Then I drop them, skin side down, into a sizzling hot pan with a drop of oil and a big pat of butter. Squeeze half a lemon over all. Flip. Enjoy with a garden salad and a roll.

Here's what they look like when just caught.

Kevin

Nice fish!

Look delicious too!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Think I'll trot on down to RI tonight, stopping off at my favorite sushi restaurant, before spending the night aboard the boat

"Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

This thread and the UNCAS WB Show sail thread, The DOVE restoration thread, remain my finest achievements on this forum. Thank you all for continued contribution.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Spent last night out at the workshop, putting a new clutch in the M5. A mate kept working on the car while I got dinner. From The Grill, George St, Windsor. Best burgers in Oz.

This was mine, a George 2nd. Same as a George... except doubled up. They do a George 3rd too, which a mate measured at 26cm high. This was enough for me... with a couple of James Squire's 150 Lashes beers.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Went to a local bar that's gone upmarket with wood-fired outdoor ovens for pizza and bread and a slate of rustic delicacies.

Ordered a burrata plate (burrata is a fresh Italian cheese made from mozzarella and cream. The outer shell is solid mozzarella, while the inside contains stracciatella and cream.) The burrata was in the centre, surrounded by slices of grainy pizza crust and prosciutto, and arugula leaves drizzled with olive oil. The drill is to scoop burrata onto a crust, add a twirl of prosciutto, and top with the rocquette. Quite a delight, as far as taste, and assembling it yourself adds something.

Didn't have a camera and I searched the net for a photo of something similar, but no luck.

We sat outside under a big umbrella. It started thundering and raining, so I went to the car for our raincoats and we kept right on eating– it was that good!

Caught some Bluefin Tuna.

Soaked the steaks in soy and orange juice for an hour. Then onto a hot grill for 6 mins ( 1 inch thick steaks). Flip for one minute.

Serve with horseradish sauce on the side. We also had sticky rice and a relish of cukes , red pepper and large, garlicky olives.

I saved some of the close to the bone shavings while loining out these fish. That was last nights sashimi.

We caught a bunch of Mahi as well. Will post the cooked result in a day or two.

Kevin

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Just finished it.

Threw a pizza.

Lebanese bread base, honey mustard sauce with a teaspoon of garlic... and some ricotta underlay. Spanish chorito, chicken and diced bacon. Snow peas, sun-dried tomato, kalamata olives, shredded tasty and Parmesan cheeses, some baby spinach leaves.

How about last night? Friends called around, kidnapped us and took us to a Vietnamese restaurant.

Mine was a meat / seafood hotpot

grilled sweet potato, corn, ribs (oven baked for 4 hrs at 200, kids get Annies BBQ sauce, they love it, I get home made peanut, chipotle pepper, sauce, spanikopita made with Swiss chard, beet greens, and kale, instead of spinach). Someone appears to have enjoyed dinner.
    Last edited by B_B; 07-28-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    grilled sweet potato, corn, ribs (oven baked for 4 hrs at 200, kids get Annies BBQ sauce, they love it, I get home made peanut, chipotle pepper, sauce, spanikopita made with Swiss chard, beet greens, and kale, instead of spinach). Someone appears to have enjoyed dinner.
    Sounds great, but I can't see the photos, alas!

Inspired by an appetiser we had the other night, I drizzled small pizza crusts with olive oil, popping on some fresh mozzarella and grated Reggiano parmesan 12 minutes along, so the cheese would be melted but not browned. Topped each slice with prosciutto, tomatoes from the greenhouse, and arugula (roquette) from the garden.

A bit tricky holding it together, but delicious nonetheless. With a glass of Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel.

Gotta wait for this. Another hour and a half should see the lamb roast done

Tonight it was diced paprika chicken, fresh cucumber slices from the garden - with creamy poppyseed dressing, and steamed yellow squash and basil - also both from the garden and drizzled with a hint of oil/vinegar.

Oh, and still experimenting with gin & tonic.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Tonight?

- New York Strip, salt+pepper+olive oil. Grilled on lump charcoal at about 700 deg F to get a nice char (but we still like it bloody in the center)

- southern-style, cucumber-and-sweet onion salad: http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2014/05...ion-salad.html (hint: more celery seed)

- corn on the cob.
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 08-06-2017 at 01:51 AM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Dug the first red potatoes, shelled some peas, and sliced red and black tomatoes from the greenhouse.

For the sockeye, thanks are due to some hardworking Alaska troller. Glass of Hahn pinot noir, very nice and not pricey.
    Last edited by Chip-skiff; 08-08-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Reckon this is my favourite thread.

The char siu pork posted on the previous page inspired me, so I decided to do one with pork shoulder, i.e. by the book. The recipe for the marinade/glaze called for Hoisin sauce, which I didn't have, so I made some.

Here it is caramelising on the grill. You could get high on the smell.

With corn and garden zucchini strips, served with cold riesling.

Vacuum-packed and froze the remainder, enough for two dinners.

Made puttanesca sauce with extra-ripe black cherry tomatoes, salt-cured olives, garlic, anchovy fillets, and capers.

Served over sauteed onion, garden zucchini, and penne, with grated Reggiano parmesan, hot bread, and a glass of Col di Sasso Toscano.

Made two small pizzas, one with regular tomato sauce, cheese, onion, fresh tomatoes, sliced olives, fresh basil, and chives. The other with leftover puttanesca sauce, fresh mozzarella, Candian bacon, sliced olives, fresh oregano, and chives.

The raw. . .

And the cooked.

Lordy them pizzas look delish.

Dinner last night was minimal. After a big, farmhouse breakfast (ham, eggs, toast, home-fries), and a stout lunch (open-faced chicken sandwich with cream cheese & avacado, on rye)... I settled for nibbling on fruits and nuts thru the evening.

Breakfast today was oatmeal with chopped almonds and lots of fresh-picked blackberries. They were so perfectly ripe that they perfumed the whole house. I just love this time of year.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Crispy roasted potatoes, using food science!

I ran across a video recipe for this, on Facebook. Unfortunately, I didn't save the URL for it...

...but I really love roasted potatoes, that are crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside... but they're hard to do. Often, I end up overcooking them... or they're mushy and not crisp.

So, via the miracle of food science, it turns out that these are relatively easy to make, and are superbly crispy.

You start with the potatoes, yellow ones, peeled and cut into chunks... the ones in the photo are probably a bit too small, so I'll cut them a bit larger next time. You boil these in salted water, to which a teaspoon of baking soda has been added. The baking soda makes the water alkaline, which helps to draw out the natural pectin in the potatoes, to the surface. You cook them until they are easily pierced with a knife.

While boiling the potatoes, sautee' several teaspoons of minced garlic and finely chopped rosemary in 6 tablespoons of olive oil, until the garlic just begins to brown (but no further, or else it may become bitter). Once done, strain the mixture into a bowl, and reserve the garlic and rosemary for later (you don't want to roast the potatoes with the mixture, or else the garlic and rosemary will burn, in the oven). You end up with olive oil infused with the scent and flavor of garlic and rosemary.

Drain the potatoes, and drop them into a bowl with the infused oil you strained.... adding salt and pepper.

Now you need to rough them up. Toss the bowl vigorously until the surface of the potatoes is a little 'messed up'.... no longer smooth surfaces, but little bits of potato on each surface.

Spread them out on an oiled sheet pan, so they're not touching, and roast at 425F until they are crispy. The original video recipe called for turning the potatoes periodically while roasting, but I found that not to be necessary.

When nicely crisp, put them in a bowl and toss with the reserved garlic and rosemary.

The result: wonderfully crispy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside.

Next time I make these, I'll make a small change.... I'll add diced onion to the garlic and rosemary mixture.... potatoes are always better with onion
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Tonight king crab pot.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

A fresh tomato tart with anchovies, gruyere and parmesan cheese, and cream. Oh my! The crust was difficult, given my chosen vessel, a steep-sided cazuela.

But it came out fine in the end.

Last night was the same as for several nights, now.

Steaks fried in a pan in butter, blackberries, strawberries, feta cheese, and some pecans. With an 805.

I am boring.

Peace,
    Robert

We went out to dinner last night to a little roadside restaurant outside of Yarmouth for a last meal with Maureen's visiting 87-y-o mother, who returns to Halifax today. M-I-L had a fresh lobster sandwich on home-made white bread, Maureen had rappie pie, and I had cod fishcakes with home-baked beans and locally-made green tomato chow-chow. The restaurant looks out over the entrance to Yarmouth harbour and the Cape Forchu lighthouse, and as we dined we could see the local fishing boats head out of the harbour and into the Gulf of Maine, silhouetted by the setting sun. Very pretty. No pics, though. Sorry.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    We went out to dinner last night to a little roadside restaurant outside of Yarmouth for a last meal with Maureen's visiting 87-y-o mother, who returns to Halifax today. M-I-L had a fresh lobster sandwich on home-made white bread, Maureen had rappie pie, and I had cod fishcakes with home-baked beans and locally-made green tomato chow-chow. The restaurant looks out over the entrance to Yarmouth harbour and the Cape Forchu lighthouse, and as we dined we could see the local fishing boats head out of the harbour and into the Gulf of Maine, silhouetted by the setting sun. Very pretty. No pics, though. Sorry.
    Okay. I understood lobster, bread, beans, and cod fish cakes.

I'm hoping your wife didn't eat minced MC Hammer, and you didn't have a very furry dog covered in tomatoes.

Peace,
    Dumerican

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.