Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Hired

Default Not Hired

Had an interview with a new Groomer yesterday morning. Young 20 something multiple piercings & tattoos. First interview question , “Are you vaccinated” ? Her response “No” my Response “Thank you but we are currently only hiring fully vaccinated groomers, best of luck in all your endeavors”

Shame because we need qualified groomers, but our customers are now asking for Vaccinated groomers.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Not Hired

Why do you not have that requirement right on the application? Why waste time setting up and interview to have them fail such a simple question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Default Re: Not Hired

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Why do you not have that requirement right on the application? Why waste time setting up and interview to have them fail such a simple question?
    Passive aggression?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson
    The same question was asked of Joe by Paul Pless in the "Covid is over for some" thread. See post #21 of that thread for Joe's answer.

As for "passive aggression"... I am all for inconveniencing Covididiots.
    " I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.”
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

So why do you mention "20 something multiple piercings & tattoos" if your rejection criteria is vax status?

You once gave me serious crap for mentioning purple hair and tattoos at Home Depot. So, why the 180?

I'm guessing Joe expected an obviously hip 20-something to be fully vaccinated.
    " I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.”
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    The same question was asked of Joe by Paul Pless in the "Covid is over for some" thread. See post #21 of that thread for Joe's answer.

As for "passive aggression"... I am all for inconveniencing Covididiots.
    Yes, indeed, it was; here is his answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I prefer to get in their face and make them drive all the way here, bring all their tools, and think they are going for a ride along, only to drive home without a job and the long ride to think about their actions. Me I'm sitting in my home office anyway

Then again I always hope for the best, and believe most people are now smart enough to get the jab.
    To describe that approach as "passive aggression" was meant as a kindness, Tommy. But I'm not surprised you approve.

Tell me, Joe, would you have hired her if she'd agreed to be vaccinated?

You expected sound reasoning from a 20 something with multiple piercings and tattoos?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by kgr1 View Post
    snippage

Tell me, Joe, would you have hired her if she'd agreed to be vaccinated?

Silly question with the number of weeks it takes to become fully vaccinated.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Silly question with the number of weeks it takes to become fully vaccinated.
    The J & J vaccine gives protection very quickly after one injection.

Obviously Joe is in no hurry, or he wouldn't take time to **** around with applicants.

Obviously Joe is in no hurry, or he wouldn't take time to **** around with applicants.
    such a bee in her bonnet for a passive aggressive type that won’t answer a simple question about values lost, kegger.

Now, isn’t it time for another torchlight parade?

Sorry Joe but you are the dick here. Tell them before the interview or give them the chance to get the jab, and then come on board if they otherwise seem that they would be a good fit. There are many reasons people don’t have the jab, particularly amongst young people struggling to make ends meet.

Yeah joe you are being a dick for not letting them lie! Just listen to the rww here!

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Sorry Joe but you are the dick here. Tell them before the interview or give them the chance to get the jab, and then come on board if they otherwise seem that they would be a good fit. There are many reasons people don’t have the jab, particularly amongst young people struggling to make ends meet.
    "The jab" is free...

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    What reasons? Got any examples?

IIRC, medical status is protected information under HIPPA regs. She’s well within her rights to say”nobody’s business but my own”. None of your clientele’s business either.

A doctor can ask, especially with regards to certain infectious diseases, because it may affect their ability to render treatment. Except under very stringent conditions, cannot refuse to hire.
    Brute force and ignorance, all in one bulky and unappealing package

that's not how hippa works.

might be how hippo works, i haven't checked.

Joe, you gave them a much needed reality check. They obviously need a push back to think about and maybe they will get the shock and come back. It's possible you did some real good in the process of protecting others.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    "The jab" is free...
    Not when you are working three jobs that don’t have paid time off. I know multiple young people who have that as their major concern.

I don’t think many here actually realize how hand-to-mouth a large part of the population on both sides of our border live.

Two weeks at a minimum is not "very quickly" in my book
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I don't ask them if they have a drivers license if they are applying for a Mobile Grooming position.
    If they come to the interview and I ask hey can I see your drivers license and they say "Oh sorry I don't have one" Same thing.

Get it together people its been almost 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    So why do you mention "20 something multiple piercings & tattoos" if your rejection criteria is vax status?

You once gave me serious crap for mentioning purple hair and tattoos at Home Depot. So, why the 180?
    Because they are OBVIOUSLY not afraid of needles
    Oh and do they know whats in the ink they are injecting ?
    Is it FDA approved ?

Phoned today to book a haircut
    Have to have both vaccinations, which I have.
    basil

I don't ask them if they have a drivers license if they are applying for a Mobile Grooming position.

If they come to the interview and I ask hey can I see your drivers license and they say "Oh sorry I don't have one" Same thing.

Get it together people its been almost 2 years
    While I have no problem with you taking advantage of, even creating, a 'teaching moment' for dingbats who haven't gotten vaccinated... your analogy is only partly apt. Just be honest... you were a bit tickled to be able to have that moment, right?

While some say you should have asked about vaccination status in order to save time... I'd say it's equally arguable that the onus was on the minority of folks who aren't vaccinated to take that step.

While some say you're being an ass. OK, sure, maybe, sorta. But I'd characterize it more as 'guerilla action' in the culture wars. And I have no big problem with it.

Most of the opposition seems to be of the tribal sort. People who support the RWW's and want to shake their pom-poms, as opposed to exercising their brains. I also have a smidgeon of a suspicion that the whole 'anti-vaxx' thing is evidence that we are losing the cyber-wars to state actors.
    Last edited by David G; 10-19-2021 at 11:16 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    While I have no problem with you taking advantage of, even creating, a 'teaching moment' for dingbats who haven't gotten vaccinated... your analogy is only partly apt. Just be honest... you were a bit tickled to be able to have that moment, right?

While some say you should have asked about vaccination status in order to save time... I'd say it's equally arguable that the onus was on the minority of folks who aren't vaccinated to take that step.

While some say you're being an ass. OK, sure, maybe, sorta. But I'd characterize it more as 'guerilla action' in the culture wars. And I have no big problem with it.

Most of the opposition seems to be of the tribal sort. People who support the RWW's and want to shake their pom-poms, as opposed to exercising their brains. I also have a smidgeon of a suspicion that the whole 'anti-vaxx' thing is evidence that we are losing the cyber-wars to state actors.
    If you had any idea how F'n desperately I need qualified groomers you would never assume that I would be taking advantage of, even creating, a 'teaching moment'

The absolute hardest part of this job is finding qualified groomers.

I seriously was praying and wishing and hoping that along with her saying I have a perfect driving record and my license is immaculate, she would have said and obviously of course I'm fully vaccinated. Because I know customers are now requesting groomers to be vaccinated and I want to have the most options to work in this industry.

To be honest I was actually shocked when she said she doesn't believe in the Covid Vaccine, I think she caught on to my disappointment and facial cues, because she quickly added I just want to wait a little longer to see if it's safe first.

The end result is the answer to the question gave more of an insight as to if she would have been a good fit for our particular corporate culture.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 10-19-2021 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    You expected sound reasoning from a 20 something with multiple piercings and tattoos?
    Oh, I dunno....my daughter has multiple piercings and tattoos, but she's the production coordinator and head of purchasing for a tooling manufacturer. Oh wait....not 20 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Oh, I dunno....my daughter has multiple piercings and tattoos, but she's the production coordinator and head of purchasing for a tooling manufacturer. Oh wait....not 20 anymore.
    Two of the best people we ever had work for us were 20 something single moms. They could out work a depression era grandmother.

If you had any idea how F'n desperately I need qualified groomers you would never assume that I would be taking advantage of, even creating, a 'teaching moment'

The absolute hardest part of this job is finding qualified groomers.

I seriously was praying and wishing and hoping that along with her saying I have a perfect driving record and my license is immaculate, she would have said and obviously of course I'm fully vaccinated. Because I know customers are now requesting groomers to be vaccinated and I want to have the most options to work in this industry.

To be honest I was actually shocked when she said she doesn't believe in the Covid Vaccine, I think she caught on to my disappointment and facial cues, because she quickly added I just want to wait a little longer to see if it's safe first.

The end result is the answer to the question gave more of an insight as to if she would have been a good fit for our particular corporate culture.
    Not my impression from your prior posts on the topic.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...89#post6542189
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Not my impression from your prior posts on the topic.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...89#post6542189
    Yup but I still DESPERATELY need groomers, but my clientele only wants vaccinated groomers. So I kinda go for the Schrödinger's cat analogy and as long as I get them to come to the interview there is a chance that they are either vaccinated or unvaccinated at the same time

I have hope for the human race, so I assume the best in people. Although I'm fully willing to accept disappointment and let them go.

Come on it's been 2 years - not getting the vaccination tells me more about everything I need to know about you it beats a call to your references all to hell.

Yup but I still DESPERATELY need groomers, but my clientele only wants vaccinated groomers. So I kinda go for the Schrödinger's cat analogy and as long as I get them to come to the interview there is a chance that they are either vaccinated or unvaccinated at the same time
    Ha ha ha.

And yet, had you stated in your ad that you required your company's personnel to be vaccinated (and why), you could have saved both your applicant and yourself the wasted time and trouble. Remember, you stated five days before the interview appointment that "[you] prefer to get in their face and make them drive all the way here, bring all their tools, and think they are going for a ride along, only to drive home without a job and the long ride to think about their actions."

I have hope for the human race, so I assume the best in people. Although I'm fully willing to accept disappointment and let them go.
    Had you been up front about your requirement, you might have gotten the response you wanted: a vaccinated applicant, who had made a wise decision based on conditions of employment.

Instead, you chose to be a jerk, and play "gotcha."

Come on it's been 2 years - not getting the vaccination tells me more about everything I need to know about you it beats a call to your references all to hell.
    It only tells you that she has hesitancy, for whatever her reason(s) might be, to get jabbed. But your game-playing does tell us a lot about you.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

She willin fi get she coodies on de pups den de pups lick up dem love ones...meno tinkso
    good puntin Joe

You bet I approve, keggy.

Your lot does not deserve respect.
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

Did the conversation continue along the lines of "Come back when you are vaxxed"? Or "OK, I'll get the jab"?
    Slamming doors could be akin to cutting your own nose off to spite your face.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by coelacanth2 View Post
    IIRC, medical status is protected information under HIPPA regs. She’s well within her rights to say”nobody’s business but my own”. None of your clientele’s business either.

A doctor can ask, especially with regards to certain infectious diseases, because it may affect their ability to render treatment. Except under very stringent conditions, cannot refuse to hire.
    Wrong. My employer will only hire vaccinated individuals. No jab, no job.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!