Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 28373839 ... LastLast
Results 1,296 to 1,330 of 1376

Thread: What's for dinner

Default Re: What's for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Definitely more authentic than my version, Steven..... I'd even be willing to drive to Portland for the leftovers
    Leftovers? Well I guess it was a pretty big pot. It was almost as good tonight it was yesterday.

Next time you make it, Norm, do this and your guests will be wowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    This morning's New Year's Brunch? Shakshoukah — eggs poached in a thick, spicy/sweet tomato sauce — from Bethany Kehdy's most excellent The Jewelled Kitchen.

We had Shakshoukah at a Bed and Breakfast in Md after the Mid Atlantic Small Craft Festival. Loved it.

For New Year's Eve dinner: shrimp with cocktail sauce and a salad of baby spinach with a dressing of olive oil, dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, rosemary, salt and pepper. For New Year's Day lunch: BLT sandwiches with fruit on the side. For New Year's Day dinner: rotini pasta with marinara sauce and pecorino romano cheese... with a side salad of cucumber, cherry tomato, sweet onion and button mushrooms with a fresh vinaigrette.

An easy lunch and dinners to prepare and deliver to the nursing home and mom was happy.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 01-01-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    50% of people are below average in intelligence.

Chicken soup, from scratch, in my new Dutch Oven, a Christmas gift from my mother. I was out of egg noodles, so I used rigatoni.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

i'm going all in tonight on comfort food for a icy, snowy, windy, cold night in front of the wood stove and tv with my wife

baked stuffed pork chops, stuffed with cornbread moistened with chicken broth
    real mashed potatoes
    gravy with mushrooms and onions
    fried corn
    brussels sprouts
    cornbread
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I do like my baby shrimps. This time it was sauteed in a ton of garlic, some onion, and a wad of fresh basil. Add green beans, frozen from last summer, then tiny elbow macaroni. Mix with a sauce of my own concoction that started with sriracha, but also had lime juice, a bit of chicken broth, and some diced tomatoes. Turned out quite nicely. Just enough heat to break a sweat, but not enough to paralyze the taste buds <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Yuck! Who taught you to sauté with fresh Basil? Heat destroys the volatile oils which give it aroma and flavor, and turns it black.

Spaghetti alla Carbonara, with homemade pancetta. Low prep time and effort, high delectability. Salad of baby greens from our hothouse.

Our guests brought panna cotta for dessert, with raspberry syrup.

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Default What's for dinner

Took my youngest to the local bodega. Foreground is my fried pork and yellow rice. Margaret had rice and beans and chicken soup. Great food on a cold day( quick and cheap, too)

Kevin

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    Yuck! Who taught you to sauté with fresh Basil? Heat destroys the volatile oils which give it aroma and flavor, and turns it black.
    Yes, that was misleading. I didn't saute the basil, the macaroni, or the green beans. Except that the basil went into the pan for a moment, just before the already-cooked macaroni & green beans did. The bit of rosemary, however, went in early.

-----------------

Tonight - I'm stuffed, and in heaven.

Nothing I cooked, but my sweetie picked up a batch of tamales from the young Hispanic woman whose mother and father make them. She camps outside the local hippie/organic/healthfood store with coolers full. I usually get chicken or pork, but tonight it was veggies with extra cheese. Nothing like it... I'm a huge tamale fan. Wasn't expecting such a surprise. She may be my 'starter wife'... but I'm beginning to think I might just keep her. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

When our friends came for dinner, they left us a pan of rye sandwich rolls. So I fetched a hunk of homemade pastrami (below, left) from the freezer and steamed it all afternoon. Thick schmear of mustard and we were in heaven. With sliced ripe tomatoes and big red grapes.

Last edited by Chip-skiff; 01-16-2018 at 11:40 PM.

IMG20180117184358.jpg

Kangaroo sausages, chicken rissoles, chicken kebab and pork sirloin steak. Only three of us.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Italian Pot Roast

It's snowing here and is forecast to continue through this evenings rush hour.

The good news is a hot meal will be waiting for me when I get home.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Last night was pork chops.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Bocconcini (little balls of fresh mozzarella) with sausage, red bell pepper, roma tomatoes, and brown mushrooms, garnished with fresh chopped basil and served over penne, on a bed of rocquette (arugula).

Como bread and butter on the side, and a bottle of Col di Sasso red.

Hit the Greeks tonight. A gyro...lamb on pita with onions, peppers, tomatoes... French fries.

Kevin

Seared Salmon & Harissa Vegetables with Roasted Red Onion Vinaigrette

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Had some tomatoes in a paper bag to ripen. Some did.

Anyhow, I chopped them up and decided to make hot sauce.

Found some very hot red peppers that I roasted and froze a couple years ago, and added them. Chopped onion and garlic. Ancho chile powder and smoked paprika. Apple cider vinegar, salt, water, xanthan gum. The new immersion blender works a treat for this sort of thing.

Bingo!

Scorching, and very tasty!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

wings, batterless, deep fried in peanut oil, sriracha sauce
    fries
    celery
    bluecheese
    beer

Last night for dinner I had two of the home-baked chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting that our d-i-l brought over. Oh... ok... I had a big glass of milk as well.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Does lunch count?

Sandwich; Marbled Rye with thin-sliced Boar's Head roast turkey. Dressed on one side with homemade cranberry sauce, and on the other side with homemade kale salad.

International Fruit Salad; strawberries from Mexico, blueberries and blackberries from Chili, black table grapes from Peru and pineapple from Costa Rica. . . all fresh from Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    Does lunch count?

Sandwich; Marbled Rye with thin-sliced Boar's Head roast turkey. Dressed on one side with homemade cranberry sauce, and on the other side with homemade kale salad.

International Fruit Salad; strawberries from Mexico, blueberries and blackberries from Chili, black table grapes from Peru and pineapple from Costa Rica. . . all fresh from Costco.

Nice, Donn!

I ate at Korean Barbeque tonight, where there is a grill in the table and they bring over a bucket of coals to your table and cook your food over them.

First, a variety of appetizers, including mushrooms, noodles, squid and more. Delish yellow bean sauce to go with.

https://vimeo.com/252645437

Kevin

Last edited by Breakaway; 01-25-2018 at 12:05 AM.

Next up we had boneless short ribs and marinated shrimp, along with some grilled broccoli. I also had some seaweed soup( not shown)

https://vimeo.com/252646621

Kevin

Last edited by Breakaway; 01-25-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Being served. The waitress used big shears rather than a knife to portion the meat.

https://vimeo.com/252646798

Desert was melon, oranges and tomatoes.

Kevin

I brined this chunk of brisket for a week in a corned beef spice/sugar/salt solution. It's now on its way to becoming smoked pastrami epicness.

IMG_0726.jpg

Yesterday, we cooked a whole chicken, and vegetables, in the crock pot. So tender. So delicious. And I really like potatoes, carrots, and onions done this way.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Work in progress

IMG20180130221118.jpg

Last night it was salmon cakes. Topped with a delicious mayo-based garlic dill sauce. Steamed cabbage sprinkled with coarse seasalt and caraway seeds. Cottage cheese with paprika. Toasted caraway rye. A light lager to wash it down. Might just do a repeat for lunch.
    Last edited by David G; 02-10-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just eaten carbonara, we had some chestnut mushrooms to use up so they were mixed in as well. Excellent.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Nasi Goreng

IMG20180211214335.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Cottage cheese with paprika.
    i always thought of you as being too young to eat cottage cheese

blech