Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Realistic Water Based Enamel Option?

Default Re: Realistic Water Based Enamel Option?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    That is a beautiful boat Micky, I'd love to hear more about her, and thanks for the info on the paint. Will have to give it a go.

So far I've been having resonable success with dulux aquaenamel for boat interior work. I can't get it to level out very well, and it takes a few coats to cover. But the quick drying and recoating times are a real plus, and the lack of smell and easy cleanup a big bonus. Do you have any comparisions between the two paints?
    Have a look here Snow Pea. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...cle-of-Designs
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Thanks so much for the link Peter, beautiful stuff, off now to do some serious boat drooling... Looks like lion island in the background, Pittwater?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Well, you don't have to throw a tantrum about it, do you?
    Why yes. Yes, he does. Otherwise... how would we know it was really him? <G>

Boat is still looking good. That's what I'm gonna need to change my opinion of latex paints - some proven performance over time.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Why yes. Yes, he does. Otherwise... how would we know it was really him? <G>

Boat is still looking good. That's what I'm gonna need to change my opinion of latex paints - some proven performance over time.
    In NZ, Latex tends to denote the original style of water based paint such as commonly used on the walls of houses. You know the stuff, it can be peeled like rubber from around the rim of the tin once dry.

The waterborne enamels are decidely NOT latex paints. I am aware that terminology can differ from one country to another, so may be getting strident about nothing.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Thanks for posting and updating. I will consider similar paints.

Snoose's topsides have been painted with latex house paint (Behr from Home Depot) for the 15 years I've owned her. Not quite as much gloss as oil based, but the only time you really see gloss on a boat's topsides is in the yard. When she's in the water only fish see the gloss. And durability is not even close to being an issue. When I repaint every two or three years, it takes 60 grit to even scratch the old paint.

[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Snoose's topsides have been painted with latex house paint (Behr from Home Depot) for the 15 years I've owned her. Not quite as much gloss as oil based, but the only time you really see gloss on a boat's topsides is in the yard. When she's in the water only fish see the gloss. And durability is not even close to being an issue. When I repaint every two or three years, it takes 60 grit to even scratch the old paint.

[/IMG]

Fine looking old time fishboat! Any others around the PNW that might be 4 Sale, you might know about?

glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn.brooks View Post
    Fine looking old time fishboat! Any others around the PNW that might be 4 Sale, you might know about?

glenn
    The only one I know of that might be for sale would be Molle B. However I don't know for sure and I don't know who the current owner it. Molle B is a fine boat in great condition having been owned by one of Seattle's premiere shipwrights. But she is smaller, 32', gas powered, and has very little accommodation space, the back deck and fish hold still in place. For one or all of these reasons, she seems to change owners often. If I can find more info, I'll let you know.

Thanks Ron. I'd be interested in any info you might uncover. Iam in Woodinville so mostly familiar with Everett and the far side of PS - rarely get into town. There are a lot of nooks and crannies around along the ship canal and south Seattle to tie up. Maybe something will turn up at the Lake union boat show in July or PT wooden boat festival.

glenn

Last installment of this coating test. These pictures are after 36 months of hard labour with zero maintenance.

The blue is chalking just the slightest little bit. The black is lifting here and there where the underlying timber has moved a lot. The spots where the dinghy fender and painter bang and slap away at the paint have worn through (you can see it on the fwd chainplate) no big surprise it's had 1000 nights of slapping and banging dinghy's. The white upward facing tops of the samson posts are perfect, The black upward facing top of the stem and rudderhead rather less so but still commendable for 3 harsh Sydney summers of black paint facing skywards. The more or less constantly salt water wet waterline area has a few areas ready for touch up but nothing major by any workboat criteria.

I reckon this paint, compared to traditional oil enamel - is more flexible initially, retains it's flexibility longer, far more hard wearing from abrasion, comparable or better with gloss retention, not as self leveling on application, slightly trickier to apply well, far easier to clean up from, doesn't ever skin or go hard in the tin, is actually pretty sweet smelling and I've comfortably painted with it inside the boat with no mask, no problems.

I haven't used anything else for the last 3 years and aren't even remotely considering changing back. I'm not doing professional boat work anymore so won't be talked into using anything else by anyone and I've sold this boat now so there won't be any further updates.

If you're wondering what the product is see the first post!!

Edit to say:

I didn't realize this thread was so old. No use replying. Mikey, that's a great-looking boat. You sold it? What's your current boat?

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 01-27-2019 at 05:39 AM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I painted my boats topside so with dulux aquanamel about 1 year ago.
    Only had one split on plank join and no wear where the boat sits on the fenders.
    The only issue I had was on a flat surface or a hatch cover. It was bubbling quite badly from water sitting on it (mostly dew). Since I've put a cover over the hatch it's set flat and smooth and looks like it's never had an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    I love workboat style practical and workmanlike finishes. Yacht-grade painting is finicky, ostentatious, overly-precious, frou-frou nonsense. There, I said it.

I really can't stress that enough: how much I despise the absurd excess of an über-gloss shiny finish on small wooden boats. And now that I don't have to, I ain't gonna.
    Bravo!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

Mikey, that's a great-looking boat. You sold it? What's your current boat?

Tom
    Thanks Tom! Yep, sold. With no regrets. A great boat but my heart always stayed with Sail and Oar. No more 'big' boats for me.

What is my current boat?.... For the first time in more or less forever I don't own a boat at all! I'm doing a ton of surfing and considering the myriad of small boat types that would suit my new surroundings. I've moved to South East Tasmania so lots of spectacular waterways to explore.

No more professional work anymore either, eh Mikey? Solidarity, brother! Being a retired shipwright is most definitely one of the best kinds of shipwrights to be.

I don't own any large boats at all anymore either. Small sailboats and kayaks are the only kind I have much interest in these days. Ah well, I guess the only constant thing is change.

Ha! To be sure.

Do you still live in a shoebox in Asia somewhere?

My own experience in using water based enamels in the sign business shows amazing longevity of the paint and less apparent oxidation over time. My only objection to using acrylic paint is that a special brushing technique is necessary. The water based paint is not as easy to work as is oil based sign paint.
    Using it requires a new approach to the use of the material.
    Jay

lately i've been using the Benjamin Moore version, which is their 'Advance' line,
    to do all the trim and doors painting at home here..
    i have found it easy enough to apply and especially clean up, but it doesn't seem to dry to a very hard finish,
    at least compared to more traditional oil based stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Floyd View Post
    Thanks Tom! Yep, sold. With no regrets. A great boat but my heart always stayed with Sail and Oar. No more 'big' boats for me.

What is my current boat?.... For the first time in more or less forever I don't own a boat at all! I'm doing a ton of surfing and considering the myriad of small boat types that would suit my new surroundings. I've moved to South East Tasmania so lots of spectacular waterways to explore.
    Hi Mikey - sounds good! Peninsular, island, channel or valley - if I may be so bold? I'm thinking of the surf, mainly.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    My own experience in using water based enamels in the sign business shows amazing longevity of the paint and less apparent oxidation over time. My only objection to using acrylic paint is that a special brushing technique is necessary. The water based paint is not as easy to work as is oil based sign paint.
    Using it requires a new approach to the use of the material.
    Jay
    Can you elaborate a bit Jay? Different brushes or ....... ? How is the technique different? For those of us who still think good painting is a form of magic!

Rick

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Great review Mickey! Very helpful reference and greatly appreciated.

Taubmans Ulitimate Alkyd Enamel - Alkyd being the operative word.
    They recommend a specific '3 in 1' primer.

I'm about to run out of my Taubmans oil based paint, so when i restock i'll look at this. But i normally prep with an oil based undercoat, so will look into that primer too.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Great review Mickey! Very helpful reference and greatly appreciated.

Taubmans Ulitimate Alkyd Enamel - Alkyd being the operative word.
    They recommend a specific '3 in 1' primer.

I'm about to run out of my Taubmans oil based paint, so when i restock i'll look at this. But i normally prep with an oil based undercoat, so will look into that primer too.
    That's the primer I've been using too. Prefers to be wet rubbed rather than dry sanded (clogs the paper a bit), otherwise it's fine. One of the biggest boons for this paint that I forgot to mention is that adhesion in spectacular! I purposely did really really bad prep a few times and have had zero lifting issues. This applies to the primer too.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Hi Mikey - sounds good! Peninsular, island, channel or valley - if I may be so bold? I'm thinking of the surf, mainly.

Rick
    Hi Rick. Tasman Peninsula, Eaglehawk Neck. In the bush on 3 acres 300 meters from the beach. Lotsa surf around here. Often quite a mission to get to and you have to be focused to get the best out of it. Give me a yell if you're ever down this way!

My favourite part of the world. Excellent! Will do!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    My favourite part of the world. Excellent! Will do!

Rick
    saltyheaven7@gmail.com

Thanks Mikey!

Rick

had some really good luck/results using water based exterior enamel on some small boats

both dinghy

Attachment 30477Attachment 30481Attachment 30482

and youth building camp boats

1st coat of red.jpgready for the water.jpg19424401_797552373737751_7495255706332712050_n.jpg

no you can't see yourself in the finish well enough to pluck your eyebrows butt they do take on a nice sheen

there is a nitch for a sturdy finish on boats that don't get pampered butt have a busy life getting used frequently by not so gentle/experienced hands

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve