Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2111213 LastLast

Thread: The UNA Project

Default Re: The UNA Project

Commented on your FB post. She's looking great.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Looking really nice. Will you be dressing to period too before stepping aboard?
    It was a thought, not sure what those folks wore..... I am a slave to fashion.

Capping the coaming, varnishing and a little painting while I wait for the epoxy to cure.

Work continues on UNA...

Launch date and location?

1852, says so on the transom.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Launch date and location?
    Dedham, Massachusetts..... no date set, still building, no mast and in negotiations with a sailmaker.

She is really pretty.

Work on the coming continues, partner installed, work, work, work.

Nice bit of wood-turning there!
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Every photo update makes it look a faster boat.
    -Dave

Looks awesome and fast, lovely work in progress.
    Can you call a replica "Una" though?

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    Looks awesome and fast, lovely work in progress.
    Can you call a replica "Una" though?
    At this point, I'm calling it a "re-creation". There are some details that simply make it easier for me to
    trailer it around. I have zero references for the original color scheme and the list goes on.

I do hope you can make an appearance at the WBS with her. I would love to see her first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I do hope you can make an appearance at the WBS with her. I would love to see her first hand.
    I will be at Mystic in June.

I will look forward to meeting both of you.

Took a week and a half off to get my Crosby catboat ready for her new owner, but I'm back at it now. This coming week I hope to start working on the mast. This is the first time I've had the rudder on since I finished the coaming. It's looking good.

Mast construction forges on today, just layed up four more staves for the hollow mast. Still need to generate the taper before final assembly. Deck hardware continues to be installed, still waiting for Mystic River Foundry to ship back the latest batch of castings. Should be able to put in the floor this weekend.

I love the fairleads but that bow cleat looks off somehow. Too tall? Squared off lines? Not sure what it is....... I love the work so far though. You've really plowed ahead with a large undertaking and produced a beautiful craft.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I love the fairleads but that bow cleat looks off somehow. Too tall? Squared off lines? Not sure what it is....... I love the work so far though. You've really plowed ahead with a large undertaking and produced a beautiful craft.
    I hear you. I think the base is too narrow. Makes it look unstable. Time for some bronze plate and the brazing torch?

Love the name on the coaming, sets her off nicely.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I think in the H.G. Smith's Arts of a Sailor is where there are proportions for wood or wood like cleats that are hard to beat.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Maybe a Herreshoff style cleat instead?
    -Henry David Thoreau-

When the original was built metal hardware for small boats would have been rare to non existent. Stems were often high enough to serve as kingposts etc. Cleats were wood. Long ago in this thread Mr. Sherman determined that he would be going with some 'modern' stuff like making his own hardware, carving patterns and working with foundries. The NGH cleats are nice but then you really need to do a full suite to make things look right so you should do NGH pattern fairleads, NGH blocks. Looking forward to seeing the boat underway at Mystic.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    When the original was built metal hardware for small boats would have been rare to non existent. Stems were often high enough to serve as kingposts etc. Cleats were wood. Long ago in this thread Mr. Sherman determined that he would be going with some 'modern' stuff like making his own hardware, carving patterns and working with foundries. The NGH cleats are nice but then you really need to do a full suite to make things look right so you should do NGH pattern fairleads, NGH blocks. Looking forward to seeing the boat underway at Mystic.
    it is nice to have someone to pace yourself by when running a race... G and i are both working on smallcraft that bridge both sides of the Atlantic, "First" boats that made significant bits of history, the American Invasion as it were, you seem to be a couple weeks to a month ahead of me G, but I have my spars pretty much done, so that makes me feel a little better...

Gary when are you hoping to launch? I am shooting for July 4 just a few days after the WBS... for an event that begins the 19th, up... in Down East Maine.

Will probably launch UNA after the WoodenBoat show in Mystic. I have to figure out the correct ballast configuration and come up with a way to stabilize the 270 pounds of lead shot required. Regarding the hardware, I'm just doing the best I can. Herreshoff hardware seem a little too advanced for the UNA, I don't know what I did apart from try to figure a way to keep UNA stable on a mooring.

Modified the bow cleat, chopped 3/8 of an inch off the base. It was too tall, I like it better now.

^Yep, that does look better.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Don't know where you are getting your shot; if you use shooting shot it comes in 25 pound sealed plastic bags which is good. I've found that they fit real well in canvas coin bags. They drape so they pretty much stay where you put them.

Cleat is much better.
    Ben Fuller

Looks just fine from here. I certainly appreciate the complexities of trying to recreate something historically when there is little period documentation available. In agreement with Ben I think what you have created is much more appropriate than something of obviously a later era (LFH or other).
    Sorry to here she won't make the WBS, but certainly understand. Still looking forward to pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Looks just fine from here. I certainly appreciate the complexities of trying to recreate something historically when there is little period documentation available. In agreement with Ben I think what you have created is much more appropriate than something of obviously a later era (LFH or other).
    Sorry to here she won't make the WBS, but certainly understand. Still looking forward to pictures.
    I am going to the WoodenBoat show in June....

We will have to catch up with each other. I'll be there, and with fingers crossed my boat too.

I'm getting excited for the WBS in June as usual. I look forward to seeing Una there. She is a very unique and cool project!

I may try to bring a boat down next year, but for now, I'll enjoy seeing everyone else's. Hope to meet you there, Gary.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Mast assembly this week, this is the pre-show tryout. These jigs should work to keep the staves under control.