Thread: Strip Cedar Dinghy plans

Default Strip Cedar Dinghy plans

I've been searching online for plans for a Strip cedar pram dinghy to build.

I've got a pile of cedar that I can machine into strips.
    It needs to be less than 2.7 metres long so it can stand up in my boatshed.
    It will probably only be used to row 30 metres out to my yacht that is moored inside seawalls.
    I'm thinking transom bow to maximise the space to carry 3 people and a bit of gear in the length available.
    I could probably build in cedar strip a set of plans for plywood, but why make it hard for myself.

I've currently got 3 options on my radar:
    Guillemot "Coot", for which I downloaded a book that includes plans and instructions.
    Ray Klebba "white salmon"
    Selway Fisher "Ariel"

I'm not really favouring any of these at the moment, and am looking for other options.
    I've not built a boat before from scratch, but if you search "Haumuri" you will see what I have been up to over the last few years on something larger in wood.
    Not interested in the lofting process, so would prefer full size plans.
    From reading the Nick Schade book, Strip plank can be a bit fiddly, but I like lightweight, quick construction and the look of varnished cedar.

Default Re: Strip Cedar Dinghy plans

Best of luck with your search! 2.7 meters = 8.8', so you may need to get plans for a 8' and stretch slightly, or 9' and reduce.

Seems like you should be able to take plans for a many-plank lapstrake design and just round the sides to make the molds (or moulds as you folks say) for the strip plank hull, but finding a design you don't need to modify would be even easier. This site (by a Forum member I think) shows a lapstrake pram also built in cold-molded material, pretty much the same process to get the shape.
    http://www.skaraborgcraft.com/pram_boats_7.html
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

There is a guy who has collected 100+ dingy plans either here or on boatdesign.net.
    You might be able to search both places and come up with the thread.
    I know he did a specific thread to show it to people.

Strip is a bit "fiddly" but not really hard.
    For a first timer learning to fit the strips on their length, then their ends takes a little getting use to , but it is not hard.

The irritating thing for me is sanding the inside of the hull to get it smooth enough to fiberglass. But there are techniques available.

Have you looked at Nick Shades videos on woodenkayak.com? He makes it look quick and easy, but it probably is for him.

Good luck

Not an awfull lot of stem dinghies in that size range, and probably for good reason as a pram is a better load lugger in that size. Atkin did a few wee stem dingies, some with flat bottoms, but the usual lap plank moulds can be used for strip work. Paul Gartside has some good prams as an alternative to the Fisher ariel.

Thanks for the quick replies!
    Thanks for the info that lap plank moulds can be used for strip.
    2.7 metres is the max size not target, as my current bow dinghy that is 2.7m only just stands up. An 8 foot pram is probably the same size in reality, so this is where the OP choices come from.
    I would be happy to build any of the listed ones really, so was wondering if anyone has plus/minus advice on any of them.

At the moment I am clearing out a carport for building space, and my workshop after finishing 2 house renovations in the last 18 months. There is stuff piled everywhere.
    I can then get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    I've been searching online for plans for a Strip cedar pram dinghy to build.

I've currently got 3 options on my radar:
    Guillemot "Coot", for which I downloaded a book that includes plans and instructions.
    Ray Klebba "white salmon"
    Selway Fisher "Ariel"
    Having seen the White Salmon Pram in the flesh, I think you have a winner right there. As it comes with full size patterns, is designed for strip planking and it's right at 8' in length, I'd say go for it.

Thanks for that feedback Wiley.
    I thought it may be the limited photo's of all of those options I've managed to find on the internet, but the White Salmon does look nice.

I finally went looking.
    The list of 100 dingys is actually 400+.

Not my thing so I haven't checked them out, but I did notice links for the first page of boats, which is a lot better than the usual lists.

http://www.tacking-outrigger.com/rowboat3.html

Hey thanks for finding the list!
    Slightly daunting, but with them organised into size range I only printed the first page for further investigation.

This is based on the LF Herreshoff 'Istalena' pram described in one of the John Gardner books.

It's 8' long and would be better if longer.
    Last edited by JimConlin; 12-30-2015 at 08:37 PM.

I purchased a set of plans for the Ray Klebba white salmon, mostly because it was slightly bigger than the other 2 options. And the photo's looked great.
    The list of 400 plans didn't include any more strip planked plans, but is a great resource anyway.
    I guess I need to start a build thread once the plans arrive, as I couldn't find anything covering building a strip dinghy.
    Although the search engine is a pretty blunt axe!
    I'm still sorting out the sheds I have to build it in as well, so don't hold your breath anyone.

Did you ever start building this? Just curious how it worked out for you.

Yes, I did start building and started a build thread in the building section of the forum.
    I've not got too far yet, and found this thread before finding the build thread to update it.