Thread: Fairey Marine 26' Atalanta - for sale in Canada

Default Fairey Marine 26' Atalanta - for sale in Canada

I never thought that I would encounter one of these on this side of the Atlantic.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/nort...ationFlag=true

It's not exactly pretty but I think that it's really intriguing in a weird sort of way. I admire designers, such as Uffa Fox, who were not afraid to take a bold step beyond the conventional.
    Last edited by BarryA; 12-27-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Default Re: Fairey Marine 26' Atalanta - for sale in Canada

I guess that after the war a lot of people played around with cold or hot moulding and came up with some intriguing designs. Interesting how the genoa sheet goes through the gunnel, coaming, whatever the sides are called there. Very interesting boat. That genoa looks original.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Totally interesting.

Sort of a cross between a barrelback and slipper stern.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

The Atlanta might be the first use of twin pivoting bilge-boards. Boats get around, there are at least two Atlanta's that I know of in BC. There are also several original Elkins built Vertues, and lots of Hilyards, etc.
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Around 1977 or so an Atalanta anchored off Dinner Key, Fl while I was there. It had been sailed across by its owners.

At the time I thought it unattractive, especially with the usually amount of cruising/live aboard dandruff cluttering the decks and lifelines. On the other hand it just seemed so sensible. They anchored in areas too shallow for pretty much any other boats. They had relative solitude in a crowded anchorage.

The couple who owned her were quite pleased with her in almost every way. IIRC their had a Vire ~7hp gas engine. They thought a bit more HP and diesel would be an improvement, especially for puttering up the ICW.

I became intrigued by the boat and wanted to sailed alongside them in my Vega 27. I thought it would be an interesting comparison, but it never happened. I saw them motor out of the anchorage a couple times and I tried to give chase once. By the time I got underway and tacked my engineless boat out of the channel I'd lost them among the other boats in Biscayne Bay.

I remember telling them I thought it was the boat Commander Spock would design, had he become a naval architect. One can argue every decision in the design process was made for 'logical' reasons. Aesthetics weren't a high concern. But like the VW bug, the design grown on you.
    Last edited by Bregalad; 12-27-2015 at 04:29 PM.

My friends owned both a 26 and a 31. Incredibly engineered boats, but the layout was never to my liking, the aft cabin on both boats being used (by them at least) as more of a shed than a cabin. Sail performance was excellent even in hard weather up or downwind. The hydraulic system for the keels was something else and i have not seen anything like it in a modern boat of similar size, probably due to cost restrictions. The "airbourne-lifeboat" lines are clear to see.

The guy who wrote Addicted To Sail, emphasizing the benefits of sailing OPB 's (other people's boats), trailer cruised all over the USA in one of this Fairey Marine barrel-back boats.