Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting a Spria Anacapa

Default Re: Starting a Spria Anacapa

Victor, I've been watching for 25-30 horse four-strokes here in the Willamette Valley and finding the same results you have -- lots of small one and lots of big ones.
    Your cuddy looks very practical. My wife would want one, too.
    I am still thunderstruck at how cleverly you turned your hull.

Thanks for the encouragement, Bill.

We spent much of today (and yesterday evening) fishing on the Snake River in our scrapwood dory. I got my wife a fly rod after she expressed interest in fly fishing. Now it's "when are we going fishing?"

Which is good, but I didn't get much time on the Anacapa project today. I keep telling her how much more comfortable it will be to be able to walk around on the boat, etc. But everything needs balance, and there's a time for every purpose.

I didn't take photos, but I did manage to cut out a template for the cuddy cabin frames, complete with compound bevels. I'm getting pretty excited to get it covered up, vacuumed out, and then painted.

BTW, we caught quite a few small mouth bass on flies yesterday and today. I canned 6 pint jars of them. Now my wife is starting to ask about steelhead fishing....

Congratulations on getting your wife a fly rod! How did you prepare those smallies for canning?

Same way as trout: cut off the head, dorsal fins, other fins, slice into short pieces, pack into jars, bones and all. Add a short tablespoon of salt.

Then pressure can at 15 psi for 110 minutes (we are at 1200 feet, below 1000 feet the recommendation is 110 minutes at 10 psi).

The bones almost completely dissolve-you might find a soft vertebrae occasionally. If they are canned very fresh, they taste quite good on crackers. They flake out well and (ours at least) are not very strong tasting.

I've done it now with trout, crappie, and salmon. Fish, crackers, and home-grown grapes have become my regular lunch over the past month.

Gracias!

A couple of evenings were free, and I cut and fastened some cabin frames.

I haven't trimmed the ends yet, so they look strange. I notched them this evening and put in longitudinal stringers along the top, and then started eyeballing the roof deck curve.

Cutting the bevels on the frame members took some time with the angle gauge and some try-and-cut-some-more. So add another 5 hours to this point. 138 hours for a running tally.

Looks good.

Looks great can't wait tosee more.

I'm still eye-balling the roof deck. If I were diligent, I'd sit down with some graph paper and develop a cambered conical shape. I used to doodle things like that in my earlier boat dreaming days.

But no. Now I'm bending battens and moving things around to see how things fit and look. I think I'm getting close.

The next big question is whether I laminate curved deck frames, bend them over a beam, or go with sawn frames. I'm sort of nervous that I'm drifting into winging-it territory.

In any event, here is the latest mock up. I think I'll fair things up and then take some offset measurements before I lose the shape.

3 more hours. Now at 141.

After fishing in the morning (Steelhead and bass), I got another 4 hours on the project.

I cut, glued, and screwed the deck frames. I'll install knees later.

Then I fitted a couple pieces of 3/16" underlayment ply. It was surprisingly stiff once bent.

Here I am testing the clearance between my bald head and various positions.

My original plan was to laminate the underlayment plywood with 1" foam, and another layer of thin plywood. I'm not so sure I need that now that I see how stiff it is. Of course, I have a beam there holding the 1X material in a curve--I was thinking I could remove the beam after laminating.

But now I think the beam is OK where it is. We've got headroom with it in. I'll let the options bounce around in my mind for a few days before committing.

Now at 145 hours.

I know nothing, but I would think that the slight curve you have sawn frames wouldn't be to bad. You wouldn't be wasting to much material

tony

Quote Originally Posted by here2 View Post
    I know nothing, but I would think that the slight curve you have sawn frames wouldn't be to bad. You wouldn't be wasting to much material

tony
    You are probably right, but the span at the widest point made me nervous. Besides, I didn't have any 6" boards lying around.

Will you be coating it with epoxy resin and fiberglass (similar to the rest of the boat)?

-Vern

Late to the party. Love the build VB! A suggestion?.. squeegee the epoxy on or after rolling. should be able to do that up until it's no longer liquid.
    Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticNeophyte View Post
    Will you be coating it with epoxy resin and fiberglass (similar to the rest of the boat)?

-Vern

Probably. I still have some glass left over. I imagine the underlayment plywood will need something.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Late to the party. Love the build VB! A suggestion?.. squeegee the epoxy on or after rolling. should be able to do that up until it's no longer liquid.

Thanks, Denise. I do try to squeegee. My main problem has been that I get a coat down over the fabric, squeegee it once, and then have to leave for hours.

So I come back to drips.

Once I actually was able to come back over a couple of hours, and it was much better.

As for the roof deck and side decks, I'm thinking of not completely filling the weave for traction.

Last evening I got brave and decided to see what would happen if I knocked out the vertical support. I was thinking maybe the roof would spring down half an inch and I'd prop things back up to laminate more frame layers.

Not much happened. It may have dropped a sixteenth or so, but no drama. I decided to add laminations from below.

When that sets up, I'll probably add one more and then piece in a hatch frame toward the bow.

In other activity, I cut up and screwed together some thin plywood pieces for a pattern for the front of the cabin.

That 3/4 marine ply on the front is probably overkill, but I gather it will support a Lexan portlight or whatnot. It's what was available in my off-cuts.

So it was a pleasant 1.5 hours yesterday evening.

I also ran across a guy selling what looks to be a reasonably decent 20' trailer for around $300. Time is the problem--it's an hour and a half away and I don't have a block of time like that until Friday. We'll see if anybody else grabs it before I can look at it.

Now at 146.5 hours and I'm starting to gather my receipts for presentation to the County Auditor so I can get a hull identification number.

Looking good. The line on the cabin roof looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by tlsmith View Post
    Looking good. The line on the cabin roof looks great.
    Thanks. I'm sort of making it up as I go along....

3 more evening hours, the cabin takes shape.

I will need to do a fair amount of fairing, but I'm pleased with the overall size. Not too big, but big enough for two to sit comfortably when needed.

I'm going to call it 150 hours to this point.

I like it!

Looks good! Will you be piloting from a forward station or aft? Have you had an opportunity to look over that trailer you found? (so many questions...but I do hope it's what you're looking for!)

-Vern

I've often been tempted to build one of Jeff's designs with materials from the lumberyard. Quick, cheap, and useful. Coming along nicely.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

From your post on my pirogue thread I would have thought you were playing parcheesi in your spare time. You're doing a ton of work, man.
    Very cool boat!
    Just keep swimming!

Peace,
    Robert

I like it!

Thanks. It's growing on me too.

Looks good! Will you be piloting from a forward station or aft? Have you had an opportunity to look over that trailer you found? (so many questions...but I do hope it's what you're looking for!)

-Vern

Probably aft to start with, though it would make sense to put a steering station on the back of the cabin. Right now it will depend on what kind of motor I can find.

As for the trailer, I haven't gotten up there (south but uphill). It's an hour and a half drive one-way and after looking at the photos of it, I'm not sure it's worth the trip.

Besides, Saturday was taken up with my wife reminding me that trout were still biting in the Grande Ronde river and we hadn't been there this year. So we spent a half day catching trout, losing tackle, and having a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I've often been tempted to build one of Jeff's designs with materials from the lumberyard. Quick, cheap, and useful. Coming along nicely.

Thanks. Even the Doug Fir Marine ply came from my local lumberyard, which has better wood than big box stores. It's fun to build, and not too picky, as you can see.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    From your post on my pirogue thread I would have thought you were playing parcheesi in your spare time. You're doing a ton of work, man.
    Very cool boat!
    Just keep swimming!

Peace,
    Robert

LOL. Yes, I am a slacker. But I do have a day job that slows things down some.

Some two and a half weeks go by and I only manage another 6 hours on the project. But there is some progress.

I fiberglassed the cabin roof and most of the sides, added a bit more deck on the gunwales, and did a bit of fairing and filleting.

Then I decided to weigh her. I used the lift to find the balance point using jackstands and a 2X4. It took a little bit of jockeying until I got close. I fine-tuned the balance with a full gallon water jug and near the stern.

Then I measured 6 inches toward the aft from the center of balance, marked it, and moved the 2X4 and jack stands to that location.

So now I had a lever on the jackstand fulcrum. I walked back and forth in the hull until it was balanced, marked the location. Tried it again. Same spot. Etc.

We now have a known down force (my weight) and two moment arm measurements, it is simple algebra to determine the force at the center of gravity "W":

I came up with 930 pounds with this scenario, probably plus or minus 5% at least, but ball park.

I tried it again moving the fulcrum 8" from the center of balance, and came up with 926 pounds.

So I'm pretty happy. My target weight at this point, based on rough calculations of the wood density, was around 950 pounds, and I was worried I already broke 1000 just because that's how things go.

Now at 156 hours.
    Last edited by VictorBravo; 09-16-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorBravo View Post
    ...I came up with 930 pounds with this scenario, probably plus or minus 5% at least, but ball park.

I tried it again moving the fulcrum 8" from the center of balance, and came up with 926 pounds.

So I'm pretty happy. My target weight at this point, based on rough calculations of the wood density, was around 950 pounds, and I was worried I already broke 1000 just because that's how things go.

Now at 156 hours.
    Nice work! Progress is still progress.

Interesting regarding the weight, as it's only a little over 100 lbs more than the advertised hull weight (810) of the Tillamook... What do you estimate your final finished weight to be? I'm on hold with my project until I return from the business trip next weekend, then off on a motorcycle trip with a friend...and it's a killer not to be able to fuss with my baby...

-Vern

What do you estimate your final finished weight to be?
    Probably closer to the Albion at 980 empty weight rather than the design weight of the Anacapa (1440 pounds). That's because I decided to cut the sides down 6 inches and I'm not going with a self-baling cockpit. That means the extra frames and sheathing, epoxy, etc., is not necessary.

If I finish around 1100 pounds empty, I think I'll be where I want to be. The hull's max design displacement is over 4400 pounds, so I'd have plenty of room for putting things in it, but I'd still like to stay as light as practicable to reduce power requirements and keep shallow draft.

I just started a Spira Anacapa that I have significantly modified to fit in my garage. I removed one frame for a length reduction of 18", reduced the beam by 10", and reduced the shear by 5".

Quote Originally Posted by model14 View Post
    I just started a Spira Anacapa that I have significantly modified to fit in my garage. I removed one frame for a length reduction of 18", reduced the beam by 10", and reduced the shear by 5".
    Interesting. I'm wondering why not go for the smaller 17' Pacific Dory he designed? http://spirainternational.com/hp_cour.php

Of course, I've made boats by eye so I'm not one who should talk, but I'd be inclined to do some stability calculations on the reduced beam. Sure, flat is flat, but going from 5'9" to 4'11" on the bottom seems fairly significant for a 17 1/2 foot boat.

I had already built and jigged up the Anacapa frames in my garage which led to the realization it won't fit! I took measurements in advance, but the conclusion from them was not correct. It was easy to cut down the frames to the modified dimensions and reuse all of the wood. Plus, I didn't want to give Jeff another 70 bucks for frame dimensions. I wanted the added strength of floor thwarts and the self-bailing cockpit, plus higher shear forward. This boat will see offshore conditions, when practical weather conditions permit.
    As far as stability calculations go, any attempt to use classic design parameters, such as metacentric height and righting moment, for these class of small boats is a total waste of time, and may lead to the wrong and unsafe conclusion. The non-scientific method, plus my experience being around small boats and knowing how good stability feels, will do me more good than calculated numbers. The very best way to check stability is to see how many grown men can stand on the gunnel amidships before the boat tips over . Seriously, if it will support my bouncing up and down (200 lbs), and has good bounce back, and doesn't feel mushy, it is good to go. This is a true test of dynamic stability, because that is what the boat will actually experience.

This is just my opinion, and hopefully it will work out okay. I built and used Jeff's Senica for three years, and it did everything I asked it to do.

Wow, a month has gone by and I only got an additional 9 hours on the project. October has been way too hectic.

But I'm doing the slow stuff now: gunwales, making patterns to close in the cabin, figuring out floor installation.

I've pretty much given up on finding a used trailer and am negotiating with a local dealer for a new one. I'm about ready to mail-order a new outboard, too, because used ones (I do want a 4-cycle) just aren't jumping out.

I mentioned it being hectic, meaning my work. But another reason I only have so much time available is stuff like this:

My wife and I have been hitting the river every Saturday for half a day. The steelhead are tapering off, but there are still some pretty big bass and the occasional trout hiding in the depths.

Now at 165 hours for the project.
    Vic Bottomly--Hack of all trades ....

Living the dream, the last picture is beautiful. Got any fish porn? Also that is a big boat, how tall are the gunnels? Are you putting the wheel and controls on back of bulkhead or is that shorter than it seems? Anyway looking good, and Happy Halloween

tony

Can't see the photos (for whatever reason they aren't loading), but at least it looks like you're making progress. My Tillamook is at a standstill until we get the basement back in order. The weather here is also going to pot, so 'das boot' is under tarp for now.

-Vern

Living the dream, the last picture is beautiful. Got any fish porn? Also that is a big boat, how tall are the gunnels? Are you putting the wheel and controls on back of bulkhead or is that shorter than it seems? Anyway looking good, and Happy Halloween

tony
    I'm just coming up for air after yet another trial. I don't really have any decent fish pictures. I'm usually fiddling with fish and not grabbing the camera.

As for the boat, the gunwales are 38" from the bottom. I figure waterline when loaded will be around 6". I'm going to put in a shelf-seat on each side so one can comfortably lean over the sides and still feel secure.

Controls could go on the back of the cuddy cabin, but I'm inclined to a tiller arrangement to start with. Standing in back has good visibility, and even sitting (if on a stool), I can see ahead fine.

Can't see the photos (for whatever reason they aren't loading), but at least it looks like you're making progress. My Tillamook is at a standstill until we get the basement back in order. The weather here is also going to pot, so 'das boot' is under tarp for now.

-Vern
    I see that too. I'm hosting them on photobucket, and I see their site is down for maintenance. Hope they get it up sometime soon.
    Vic Bottomly--Hack of all trades ....

I'm happy to hear about the tiller! Granted most of the boats I've used them on have been aluminum up to 20' I believe it's the best boat control and best for space too. It's funny when someone buys a 16-20' boat with just a side console how much space you loose. Not to mention you generally have a nicer ride out back. And your doing 90hp? Are you going to get steering assist?