Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Ply on Frame

Default Re: Large Ply on Frame

Jigsaw 's raison d'Ítre is as a permanent residence for 2 retired couples with associated family , it was never designed for a permanent mooring , just anchoring nightly in what ever place takes your fancy so that if you need to leave it for a short period then the remaining couple can deal with the vessel as you would have if you had been there . Most power is supplied by the 10 kw solar array on the upper deck and provides constant re-charging of the batteries and can even provide short range propulsion .
    Maintenance is an issue , but as I will be retired , it will give me something to do ( apart from fishing that is ) , underwater maintenance will also be carried out by robotic systems ( electronics , an old hobby of mine ) .

Thumbs up Re: Large Ply on Frame

Quote Originally Posted by dearlovr View Post
    Jigsaw 's raison d'Ítre is as a permanent residence for 2 retired couples with associated family , it was never designed for a permanent mooring , just anchoring nightly in what ever place takes your fancy so that if you need to leave it for a short period then the remaining couple can deal with the vessel as you would have if you had been there . Most power is supplied by the 10 kw solar array on the upper deck and provides constant re-charging of the batteries and can even provide short range propulsion .
    Maintenance is an issue , but as I will be retired , it will give me something to do ( apart from fishing that is ) , underwater maintenance will also be carried out by robotic systems ( electronics , an old hobby of mine ) .
    Thank you for the reply , it explains a lot.

You have thought this through , no doubt about it .

Most impressive.

This will be something to follow.

Thanks for posting.

Got bored with framing for a couple of days so thought I 'd build a Rudder , Made a male mould out of wood and balsa , this is the shape of the inner of the actual rudder blade .

Made 2 mouldings off this mould using 4 layers of 400 gm biaxial cloth , then joined them together to create a template for the full rudder .

This will serve as the inner layers of the rudder construction , will add multiple layers of 1200 gm Quad axial cloth over this structure to build up the grp structure to the required thickness .
    Went with a Male mold construction technique for the rudder as if I had done a female process then the two halves would have needed to be joined together after completion , the strands of cloth would be broken at the tip of the blade , thus creating a weakness at this point , adding layers of cloth over a male mould preserves the cloth structure over this point resulting in a stronger blade . It requires a bit more fairing when complete , but i'm more interested in strength .

These blades are 900mm in length and will need to be cut into 2 pieces , a short piece ( 100mm ) to be used as a non- moving base affixed in the centre of the prop tunnel and the remainder being the actual moving blade .

You will also notice the High-lift Fishtail Section at the back of the blade , this is a " Maclear Thistle " design that allows for a 40 degree rudder angle that works as a stern thruster ( well in theory anyway ) . Next job is to Fill-in the area just ahead of the Fishtail ( used to join the two sections accurately ) and then build the structure up to the required thickness ( approx. 10 mm thick ) .

The rudder shaft and associated steel inner structure will then be added and rest of the inside of the rudder filled up with high density foam .

Well,..... That may have done it!!!
    I have just been sticking my nose into this new hobby.
    After scrolling up and down THIS thread for a half an hour, I had to get up and go get some windex and paper towels to clean the drool off the computer screen. When I came back the War Dept. was sitting in my chair, scrolling up and down the thread......

dearlovr...IMHO, you are doing the right thing and, know this: we all appreciate your sharing this adventure with us.

Scotty

Many thanks for the positive comments , much appreciated , in the original blog ( http://houseboat-building.blogspot.co.nz/ ) I only got one comment , and that was about me being CRAZY ( already knew that anyway ) , its nice to Know that I'm not alone in my insanity .

Looks interesting. Darn it. I'm in.

Are prepared to swear an oath not to delete this thread?

Well enough of playing with the Rudder , won't do the laminating until I have my garage back , so back with the framing we go ,
    Next step is to dry -fit all the stringers , this will check the final shape and cut-in the threads of the coach screws .

Once we are happy with the hull shape , its gluing and resin filling time , each of the screw holes is filled with activated West resin to increase its holding
    power , we do this with a modified syringe as we fill from the bottom of the hole .

The resin flows from the bottom of the syringe extension back up around it and coats the inside of the pre-drilled and thread cut hole , this minimises the
    resin use and maximises coating of the hole . The stringers are glued into place and the screws replaced into the resin wet holes .

We also then CAP off the screw and hole with an epoxy plug to seal everything up ,

The hull ( these 2 sections ) in one piece is quite impressive and it gives me a great sense of achievement , when we finally get around
    to joining the 8 sections into two 65 ft hulls I don't know how I am going to control myself , Can't wait for that day .

All the stringers are attached now and we just have one more lamination onto the keel ( triangular piece shaped for plywood attachment ) and a final planing of the
    stringers and frames ( truing up ) and we can start the " Plywood Party " .
    Last edited by dearlovr; 01-10-2016 at 12:33 AM.

How the F do you move those things?

On wheels or rollers depending if its on the concrete or round the back yard on grass , bit slow on rollers , but manageable , you should check
    out the main blog and rotating them over , that's real fun

http://houseboat-building.blogspot.c...&max-results=5

Wow, just stumbled on this, very impressive dearlovr! An extremely well thought out and executed approach to the pipe dream of many here, keep up the good work, will watch with great interest!

The Plywood Party has been continuing for the last couple of weeks , The first skin is made up of as large as pieces I can handle myself ( 3ft by 7 or 8 ft ) , glued and screwed to the stringers and bulkhead frame , second skin is in smaller sections , typically 3 ft by 2 ft , these are angled rearward so that the changes in the hull shape ensure a nice tight fit , due to the large amount of glue to connect this second skin to the first these are the biggest pieces I can handle by myself .

Once the second skin is fully in place then we round off the chine ( fiberglass doesn't like sharp angles ) and fill all the screw holes and fair using west resin and 410 filler .

Have also fitted the External keel and prepared this hull section for the fiberglass layer .

Fiberglass layer has been started , 4 runs of cloth down the hull section , 400 gm biaxial cloth overlapping at the keel and the chines to give 2 layers at these exposed points . I Love Peelply , took me a little time to get used to it , but it sure makes a nice finish and minimises post fiberglass sanding .

Last edited by dearlovr; 03-30-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Section 6 is painted and complete , so need to move it out of the garage as I have another shipment of timber due for section 7 , but firstly I need to get the bow section out of the way , time to rotate and move round the side of the house . 1st step is to retrieve the cradle from the back yard ( under section 3 ) and position it over the section to be rolled .

Cradle gets used for all sections so I need to brace the hull inside the cradle and add the semi-circular sections to allow the roll .

Time to add ropes and chains and Rock n Roll !!

On its way , taking it slowely , last time I rushed this it ended in tears ( don't ask , still gives me nightmares )

Ropes to pull and ropes to stop from rolling too much , up and over we go .

Enough pulling , its now got a mind of its own , very nervous , need to keep calm

On its way down , the closer to the ground , the happier I get !

Maximum load on chain now , almost there , taking it slow

Phew , its down , I can breathe again , need to remove the addons and move the boat , this is a shared driveway , don't want to upset the neighbours too much.

This cradle has worked out quite well , is just a basic boat cradle but with one side made with a heavier section of steel than normal (100x100x10), the addons ( made from the same section ) bolt up when required and have added angle steel cross sections to stabilise , all in all not bad for a couple of hundred dollars of used steel section ( has a couple of extra holes in it ) as I need to use it 8 times for all the sections to be rolled .

Great work! Like eating an elephant, you're working through an enormous project one bite at a time :-)

Does a bridge deck type structure fit behind the bow there?

Main deck runs from the full height of the current bow point , Jigsaw's pieces run vertically as well as horizontally ( due to build space restrictions ) , so there is more hull to build on top of what you see . Its why the plywood skin is held back on one side so that joins aren't all in the same place . Whats really scary is that the full height of the Bow is still another 4 ft above what currently exists . ( see side profile earlier in posts ) .

Progress on Jigsaw has been proceeding as usual , the two middle sections of the hull are a bit boring as there is very little change to the basic shape . After Turning section 5 ( as above ) and moving it into the side yard we continued with the construction of Section 6 until it too was complete , it then got moved outside while we constructed the frames for section 7 , Section 6 was then re-positioned back at the front of the garage so that section 7 could use it as a template to start from , Once 7 was stable ( frames and stringers attached and first layer of ply attached ) section 6 was cut away and returned to await its turn to be rotated .

The rotation cradle is still under the previous bow section so I will need to create some temp stands to hold it so the main cradle can be used for this section . Things are getting really crowded around here .

Over the last few weeks we have been completing the skinning of section 7 and this too is now mostly done , lots of sanding and prep work for the fiberglass layer .

This is the Roomy side of the construction Area !

This side is somewhat tighter due to sheets of Ply stacked against the wall .
    Sections of plywood in the second layer are angled slightly as it holds better against the first layer this way , but lots of screws and silicon bronze nails are there doing their job as well .

Am fiberglassing the sides before I work on the keel as it helps protect the sides from the ladders and such that are required to work on the bottom section .

This is the initial glassing , the bottom layer overlaps this layer at the chine .
    Glass is installed using the " Wet Method" , activated resin is painted on the plywood , rolled for 10-15 minutes as the plywood de-gasses trapped air and then we add more resin in preparation for the class cloth , roll the glass on and smooth out , then add more resin to "wet out" the cloth .

Once this is sticky and stable , we then add another layer of resin and attach the Peel-Ply and smooth out as much as possible .

Told ya it was tight in here ! .

What is the length to beam ratio for each hull?

What are your power to speed estimates?

What are your plans for anchors?

....and what vitamins do you take to keep moving on such a huge project?
    -Dave

Waterline length to beam ratio is approx. 10.3 , max beam at waterline is 1.8 m , both hulls are the same .
    When I originally designed JIGSAW it was supposed to be powered by 2 diesels of between 120 and 150 HP , these will still be in place but
    with the availability of electric engines / batteries etc , we will also be including an electric hybrid drive solution as well .
    JIGSAW is a houseboat and never ment to break any speed records , cruising at 6-7 knots and max at 9 knots was all that was originally intended .

Electric drive will be at slower speeds ( dependent on final motor choice ) , but as long as I can get from where I anchor for the night to my favorite
    fishing spot on electric power I will be happy . Upper deck is covered by a 10 kw solar array so this will keep the batteries topped up .

Longer range runs to the Sounds ( 604 nautical miles) will depend on the Diesels or combination of both drivesystems . I havn't done any detailed speed/power determinations
    as being a houseboat the drive systems are not critical to its operation .

Anchors will be large , jigsaw has the side profile of a ( Block of Flats ) , dual anchors in the 70-80 kg range ( 170-180 lbs ) will be made , SV Seeker
    on the internet had some interesting plans for anchors , something similar would suffice .

As for vitamins , only a very large drawing pinned to the wall of my bedroom of the finished vessel serves as inspiration and energy booster , ( get off my backside and get it done )

Thanks for keeping us updated Dearlovr, I read through this thread from the beginning, again, and just the scale of this build, let alone the un-size of workshop and how youre putting this together, just blows my mind. AND ON YOUR OWN. 'ken staggering.

All power to ya

Have you said why you chose to build a catamaran instead of a monohull? Was this because of the need for a boat for two families?

Catamaran was chosen as its a stable platform at rest , width provides more available area , easily driven skinny hulls , can be easier
    to build in sections ( hulls anyway ) .
    Jigsaw is a full time liveaboard solution , size of a normal house , but just on the water .
    If it was ment for sheltered waters ( river/lake etc ) then a flat bottom monohull may have be sufficient , but coastal cruising around NZ takes something more sea-worthy , we do sit between the Tasman and the Southern oceans , no place for a flat bottomed hull .

Have fitted the external keel and prepared the bottom of this hull section for more of the Wet Sticky Stuff , the fiberglass on the sides has been faired into the bottom ply with more filler and more sanding followed by more sanding ( Oh Yeah ) .

Some of the peelply has been left on the sides for additional protection , but since the bottom layer of glass overlaps the keel , some has had to be removed .

The bottom layer of glass runs from just above the chine ( about 8") , across the bottom , and stops just over the other side of the keel , giving 2 layers at the chine and the Keel .
    Problem with this wet sticky stuff is old men leaning over the hull wearing short shirts and exposing their hairy bulging stomach's to such a messy substance , very messy indeed . Who needs to wax when there's fiberglass around !! .

Does anyone else miss seeing progress on this thread? I am amazed by the ambition and perseverance that a project of this magnitude requires and by watching this builder succeed at doing it. What ever happened to this build?

I'd like an update too.
    -Dave

I am interested too. dearlovr was last on here on here a couple of days ago. Perhaps a short note to let us all know? The blog stops about the same time end of '16.
    A2

All 8 hull sections are complete awaiting assembly in a large final build shed , currently am getting house ready for sale to finance the remaining build , recent items to be built were the rudders and the rudder bearing housing assembly that were made from fiberglass quad axial cloth wound around a former ( like the stern tubes ) . Will post some more pictures tomorrow .

Thanks for that, glad to hear it is coming on. Good luck in finding a big shed, it will help us too, as you can get further away to take photos...
    A2

Haven't posted in a while , Sections 7 and 8 have been mostly completed by Mid 2017 , all sections now surround our house like a fence . Google earth picture shows most of them and I have added the positions of the last 2 .

The bow of Hull 2 almost extends over the back fence to the neighbors place .

This has given my Garage back so I was also able to start in on the rudder blades and rudder bearing housing .

Created a half form for the shape of the Ruddebr />

And from this created a number of fiberglass blanks

These will form the base of the Rudder Blades . Mounted these in a vertical jig and added multiple layers of resin impregnated Quad Axial cloth to build up to the desired thickness .
    Since it was winter , had to pre-heat the resin so it was runny enough to saturate the cloth as Quad axial cloth is woven very tightly . Very messy job .

The final blade will require some filler on the outside to create a nice finish but by laminating
    over a male mold the cloth wraps around the front in a continuous piece so structurally is much stronger . The Design of the blade is a MacLear Thistle which allows for a greater rudder angle and acts like a side thruster at full angle .

Also created the rudder bearing tubes , these were created like the stern tubes for the prop shafts , only a larger dia and much stronger due to the rudder shafts to be made from 2" Stainless Steel .

These have an internal Dia of 3" and a glass thickness of 5/8" and a length of 30" . The lower bearing will be Vesconite , a self lubricating thermoplastic and the upper bearing will be cast bronze .

The Rudder blade pieces ended up with a 3/8 " thickness , 36" tall , 3 3/4 " width and length of 27"

These will still need to be trimmed to size , a 4" section needs to be removed and glassed into the propeller tunnel as a base , the rudder blade swings below this base .

I managed to get an old 2" prop shaft cheaply so will cut this into 2 lengths , add some tangs to it and use it as the rudder shafts . These will be glued into place and the rudders filled with high density foam .

Havn't gotten much done over the last year , its transition time and this is going to be tricky , next phase of the construction will need to be done in a large shed and the only way to fund this and the rest of the construction is to sell the family house , Am currently renovating the house and organising family , not an easy task . Hopefully by the end of the year we will move the sections to the new location and continue the build .

wow, just found this and it is amazing. now on to the blog to get more info. pls. keep us up to date.

jim

Looking good! I admire your stickability for such a large build.
    Post number 49 shows a flange which I think is where the next element will join. Will you be running full length stringers behind these joints on final assembly?
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

stringers run full boat length and are joined behind flange with scarf or buttblock as in Blog and reinforced with unidirectional glass ,a third layer of ply on the inside 900mm wide is also added
    https://houseboat-building.blogspot.com

Got it, thanks!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.