Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oferraz
    • Aug 2015

Re: Building the 12' - 6'' Tom Cat

Transom lamination is finished. I decided to use Redwood for the external layer of the transom. I know it is not a great wood for that as it is soft but building it in California I thought it can be appropriate to use some local wood. Here it is:

Apron shaping is also in progress. A lot of plane work but it is getting there

over all it start to look like a boat

and last, this morning I managed to put the transom in place. Next I need to get it to the exact shape.

Comment

• gregleetaylor
      • Dec 2007

Looking VERY nice! Great progress! Motivating to me too!

Comment

• oferraz
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by gregleetaylor
        Looking VERY nice! Great progress! Motivating to me too!
        Thanks Greg. I am learning from your post almost every day. You are doing a wonderful job on your boat.

Ofer

Comment

• oferraz
          • Aug 2015

Long time since my last post. Not too much progress. Also worked on a side project, as weather get better we need a new paddle for our canoe. A great project and a lot of fun.

On the boat I started planking. I am using strips 1"x0.5" red cedar strips. The Sheer is 1.5" wide.

Using Gorila glue between the strips and epoxy on the stem and transom

From this point and in the next 43 days a good day is a day in which I am adding at least 2 planks....

Comment

• Rich Jones
            What boat to build next?
            • Apr 2009

I used Titebond II glue for my Palmer launch build. Since you're glassing inside and out (I assume), the Titebond II will do just fine. Also, cover the edges of your molds with packing tape to prevent gluing the boat to the molds. Again, this worked great for me.

The canoe paddle looks great. A friend of mine who no longer goes paddling just gave me a pair of paddles that look like yours. I'm unfamiliar with the type. Are they racing paddles?
            I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
            Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• oferraz
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Rich Jones
              I used Titebond II glue for my Palmer launch build. Since you're glassing inside and out (I assume), the Titebond II will do just fine. Also, cover the edges of your molds with packing tape to prevent gluing the boat to the molds. Again, this worked great for me.

The canoe paddle looks great. A friend of mine who no longer goes paddling just gave me a pair of paddles that look like yours. I'm unfamiliar with the type. Are they racing paddles?

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the comment.

I like the gorilla glue as it expand and fill any gap. It also allow me enough time to verify everything aligned before it dry. Last, it is also very easy to clean and is not staining the wood too much. I used it on my last project a canoe and I was very happy with the results.

I am planing to glass it inside and out.

As to the paddle, I am not an expert. There are many types, sizes and shapes each coming from different region and tradition. I am not sure if these are specific for racing but I liked the shape, the ergonomic and the challenge in building one.

Ofer

Comment

• NoEyeDeer
                Banned
                • Apr 2016

Originally posted by oferraz
                I like the gorilla glue as it expand and fill any gap.
                Just be aware that although it will do this, it won't have much strength when filling gaps. The expanded glue is just a weak foam. Urethane glue is strongest in tight joints where it doesn't get the chance to expand.

This probably doesn't matter much for strip planking with glass each side, but I thought it was worth noting.

Comment

• oferraz
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by NoEyeDeer
                  Just be aware that although it will do this, it won't have much strength when filling gaps. The expanded glue is just a weak foam. Urethane glue is strongest in tight joints where it doesn't get the chance to expand.

This probably doesn't matter much for strip planking with glass each side, but I thought it was worth noting.
                  Thanks for the important tip. Any other suggestions on what type of glue to use?

Comment

• dbrown
                    Conservative gun grabber
                    • Oct 2013

Epoxy..Can be messy at first but the best glue no question.
                    Conservative gun grabber

Comment

• Robert Hickman
                      • Apr 2016

Matthias Wandel testing strength of gorilla glue:

Putting the gap filling feature of gorilla glue to the testhttp://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/gorilla_glue.html

Comment

• oferraz
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by dbrown
                        Epoxy..Can be messy at first but the best glue no question.
                        I agree that epoxy may be the best but it is messy, time consuming and in my opinion may be an overkill for that job as I am going to glass the boat on both sides. I am using Epoxy on the stem and transom.

Comment

• oferraz
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Robert Hickman
                          Matthias Wandel testing strength of gorilla glue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUWu-N85oXM

Hi Robert,

Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing. Although not scientific, I have learned a lot from this video. To be clear, there are minimum gaps between the strips so I do think that in most cases the Gorilla glue is doing a good job.

Ofer

Comment

• Rich Jones
                            What boat to build next?
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by oferraz
                            Hi Robert,

Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing. Although not scientific, I have learned a lot from this video. To be clear, there are minimum gaps between the strips so I do think that in most cases the Gorilla glue is doing a good job.

Ofer
                            The Titebond II is no doubt cheaper then Gorilla glue and just as strong, or stronger, then Gorilla glue. Whatever gaps there are can be easily filled with thickened epoxy before fairing the hull prior to popping it off the building form. The Titebond is also easier to wash off your fingers!
                            I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
                            Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• mcdenny
                              Senior Lurker
                              • Jun 2006

I built two 25' strippers with PL Premium. Inexpensive and Very easy to apply from 28 oz. tubes with a caulking gun. Expands enough to fill the gaps between square edged strips but no nearly as much as gorilla glue. Seemed much stronger than GG.
                              Denny Wolfe

Comment

• oferraz
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by mcdenny
                                I built two 25' strippers with PL Premium. Inexpensive and Very easy to apply from 28 oz. tubes with a caulking gun. Expands enough to fill the gaps between square edged strips but no nearly as much as gorilla glue. Seemed much stronger than GG.
                                Thanks Danny. I will test this glue.

Comment

Working...