Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the 12' - 6'' Tom Cat

Default Re: Building the 12' - 6'' Tom Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I used Titebond II glue for my Palmer launch build. Since you're glassing inside and out (I assume), the Titebond II will do just fine. Also, cover the edges of your molds with packing tape to prevent gluing the boat to the molds. Again, this worked great for me.

The canoe paddle looks great. A friend of mine who no longer goes paddling just gave me a pair of paddles that look like yours. I'm unfamiliar with the type. Are they racing paddles?

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the comment.

I like the gorilla glue as it expand and fill any gap. It also allow me enough time to verify everything aligned before it dry. Last, it is also very easy to clean and is not staining the wood too much. I used it on my last project a canoe and I was very happy with the results.

I am planing to glass it inside and out.

As to the paddle, I am not an expert. There are many types, sizes and shapes each coming from different region and tradition. I am not sure if these are specific for racing but I liked the shape, the ergonomic and the challenge in building one.

Ofer

Quote Originally Posted by oferraz View Post
    I like the gorilla glue as it expand and fill any gap.
    Just be aware that although it will do this, it won't have much strength when filling gaps. The expanded glue is just a weak foam. Urethane glue is strongest in tight joints where it doesn't get the chance to expand.

This probably doesn't matter much for strip planking with glass each side, but I thought it was worth noting.

Quote Originally Posted by NoEyeDeer View Post
    Just be aware that although it will do this, it won't have much strength when filling gaps. The expanded glue is just a weak foam. Urethane glue is strongest in tight joints where it doesn't get the chance to expand.

This probably doesn't matter much for strip planking with glass each side, but I thought it was worth noting.
    Thanks for the important tip. Any other suggestions on what type of glue to use?

Epoxy..Can be messy at first but the best glue no question.
    Conservative gun grabber

Matthias Wandel testing strength of gorilla glue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUWu-N85oXM

Quote Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
    Epoxy..Can be messy at first but the best glue no question.
    I agree that epoxy may be the best but it is messy, time consuming and in my opinion may be an overkill for that job as I am going to glass the boat on both sides. I am using Epoxy on the stem and transom.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hickman View Post
    Matthias Wandel testing strength of gorilla glue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUWu-N85oXM

Hi Robert,

Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing. Although not scientific, I have learned a lot from this video. To be clear, there are minimum gaps between the strips so I do think that in most cases the Gorilla glue is doing a good job.

Ofer

Quote Originally Posted by oferraz View Post
    Hi Robert,

Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing. Although not scientific, I have learned a lot from this video. To be clear, there are minimum gaps between the strips so I do think that in most cases the Gorilla glue is doing a good job.

Ofer
    The Titebond II is no doubt cheaper then Gorilla glue and just as strong, or stronger, then Gorilla glue. Whatever gaps there are can be easily filled with thickened epoxy before fairing the hull prior to popping it off the building form. The Titebond is also easier to wash off your fingers!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I built two 25' strippers with PL Premium. Inexpensive and Very easy to apply from 28 oz. tubes with a caulking gun. Expands enough to fill the gaps between square edged strips but no nearly as much as gorilla glue. Seemed much stronger than GG.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Quote Originally Posted by mcdenny View Post
    I built two 25' strippers with PL Premium. Inexpensive and Very easy to apply from 28 oz. tubes with a caulking gun. Expands enough to fill the gaps between square edged strips but no nearly as much as gorilla glue. Seemed much stronger than GG.
    Thanks Danny. I will test this glue.

Slow progress during the last few weeks... hope to get back to speed very soon. Here are few photos of the progress. Each strip require a scarfing and beveling to fit in place. At this point everything works great without steaming just clamping.

Use this old trick to find the location of the hole when connecting a supporting plank

Slow progress over the last few weeks. But still... finding time in between to add few more trips every week. I am now seaming each strip it adds more work but it is fun and it really looks beautiful. I changed the steaming method switched from using the steaming box to using plastic bag that is covering the strip and steaming on the mold. Its nice because you can slowly get the wood to band exactly as you need and in most cases you need much less steaming time.

Took the canoe (my last project) out this weekend so here they are side by side

And the new steaming process

What are you using for a steam generator? That hose looks like the kind that comes with a wallpaper removal steamer.

What are you using for a steam generator? That hose looks like the kind that comes with a wallpaper removal steamer.
    Hi Rich,

Yes it is a wallpaper removal steamer. Its a simple cheap one I bought in HomeDepot. its work great and will generate steam for about an hour. I am using 6" plastic bag so it is heating it very quickly.

Ofer

Advise needed. I am getting ready to start and work on the rudder as a side project while planking. Any suggestion on where to buy the rudder mounting brackets?

Hello oferraz, I sent you a PM with details on my solution.

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post
    Hello oferraz, I sent you a PM with details on my solution.
    Hi Greg,

Just placed my order. This is the most expensive part of the boat so far but it looks great

Thanks for the help.

Another week with some progress. I know it looks as if there is no progress but I guess that is why you open a good whisky when it is done. So this is the progress so far. At this point each strip is joined from two strips and I am steaming each strip. A lot of work but the results are great and I am learning a lot on the way.

And another angle

And last, with the help of Greg I ordered the parts for the rudder and started to work on it while waiting for the strip's glue to get hard.

very nice Oferaz, planking looks great

Slow progress but I am almost done with the planking. I have been progressing with an average of 1.5 strips per day. It is slow but I am steaming each strip and it is very easy and looks great.

I now need to decide if I want to cut the slot for the center board now or wait to the end. Greg was cutting it at the end while Laurie (dry water) was cutting it before planking above it. Any suggestions guys?

In between I started to work on the mast. I managed to get nice peaces of Sitka Spruce that was kept for building musts. Since my must is relatively small I can use leftovers. Its exiting and I am getting great help and learning a lot.

I also started to uncover the transom and
    fairing the hull. Just to get it back to look like a boat and see the beauty of it.

And last, bought a nice whiskey for calibrating the end of planking. It is waiting with many friend for the event

Wonderful! It looks great!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Wonderful! It looks great!

Kevin
    Thanks Kevin

Nice to see the progress Ofer! I am stalled... My reasoning for cutting the board slot after the planking was on was relative ease of establishing a level surface over top of the planking through which I could use a circular saw. Many ways for cat skinning... (or slitting )

Nice to see the progress Ofer! I am stalled... My reasoning for cutting the board slot after the planking was on was relative ease of establishing a level surface over top of the planking through which I could use a circular saw. Many ways for cat skinning... (or slitting )
    Thanks Greg. I think I will go in that direction. I did marked and drilled two hols now to mark the start and end of the cut.

Ofer

That clamping batten is a great idea. Another one of those 'little tricks' that I'll have to file away until the next strip planked boat comes along.

That clamping batten is a great idea. Another one of those 'little tricks' that I'll have to file away until the next strip planked boat comes along.
    Hi Rich, thanks for the feedback. Yes all this tricks are part of fun and what fascinating about boat building. I keep learning and developing my toolbox with every form and video I watch and it is getting hard to remember them all when you need them

Finally the planking is done... A year and three months after starting. It was a slow progress in the last two months but I can start to understand how these projects take 5 years. I still hope to do it faster. In any case next week we will throw a party to celebrate the end of planking as so many friends are following the project and are eager to celebrate with us. One thing is clear, I will need to clean the studio for that.

So here are some photos of the last steps. Starting with finishing one side

And closing it up. You can see a small missing plank on the top. This will go out as I cut out the hole for the centerboard. There is also a lot of saw dust as I started to sand it.

Another look of the entire boat. In general planking was fun. This time I created the strips by myself. It wasn't too bad and I learned a lot.

Also started to work on the outer stem. First copied the shape with a simple template and hot-glue

Created a mold and started laminating the wood

And here is the stem cleaned out but before cutting it to the final shape

And last (you will probably laugh) but we had a cold winter here in California, so I bought a used wood stove and installed it. So now the studio is nice and cosy...

That is all for today. Next time I will share some photos of the celebration. Are there any customs for the end of planking celebration? please share

Of course there's a custom for the end of planking! The last plank installed is called the whiskey plank. It's called that for a reason. Time to break out the bottle!

Of course there's a custom for the end of planking! The last plank installed is called the whiskey plank. It's called that for a reason. Time to break out the bottle!
    Thanks Rich, we will be sure to have one

Just started on the hull fairing. Is the order should be:

1. Start with a hand plane
    2. Orbital sending disc
    3. Fairing bord to get it all to the same level

Any fairing tips?

Hi Oferraz! Nice progress! Yes, 1,2,3 will do it. The fairing board is amazingly good at producing a very smooth surface. Mine, which I continue to use to even up other curves are made from plexiglass sheet from Home Depot. I made two each of 4" x 24" dimension. I think i used contact cement after roughing up the plastic real good to glue on cut 4 x 24 belt sander belts of 80 grit. I might have used epoxy??? Then epoxied wood handle on each end. I have spent some large hours with these but the rewards are nice. They WILL take out unevenness!!!

Oh, and, set the block plane very fine and work it at a 45 angle to the strip axis, right?!

Beautiful-looking hull there, Oferraz! I've never faired a strip-planked hull, only my plywood GIS, but even that was, surprisingly, a huge amount of work to get the panels to look fair without unevenness. Fairing a ply boat where you don't want to thin the wood relies more on applying fairing compound in low spots.

A few things I learned:

1. West 410 Microlight makes a smooth, lightweight, easily-feathered fairing compound which mixes much more quickly than Q-cells (you'll come to appreciate that!). Sometimes it might be necessary/quicker to fill a low spot than remove all the material around it.
    2. Use battens to hold against the hull (a longer one for fore-aft, a shorter one for top-bottom) to find high and low spots
    3. Keep the paper on the fairing boards fresh. Fibreglass/boat shops etc sell rolls of it down to 36 grit which have hook and loop on it - either buy or make a fairing board which has the corresponding side and it will save you a hell of a lot of messing around with glue etc

The rest of it kind of has to be learned by trial and error. Fairing is a nightmare but persist and you'll eventually be glad you did when the topcoat goes on! Good luck.

Hi Oferraz! Nice progress! Yes, 1,2,3 will do it. The fairing board is amazingly good at producing a very smooth surface. Mine, which I continue to use to even up other curves are made from plexiglass sheet from Home Depot. I made two each of 4" x 24" dimension. I think i used contact cement after roughing up the plastic real good to glue on cut 4 x 24 belt sander belts of 80 grit. I might have used epoxy??? Then epoxied wood handle on each end. I have spent some large hours with these but the rewards are nice. They WILL take out unevenness!!!

Oh, and, set the block plane very fine and work it at a 45 angle to the strip axis, right?!
    Hi Greg, thanks for the feedback and tips. One more question it looks from your images that you used fairing compound before the first sealing epoxy layer. I am thinking of putting one sealing layer before the fairing compound in order to get the wood strength to be more similar to the fairing compound. Is that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Brightwater View Post
    Beautiful-looking hull there, Oferraz! I've never faired a strip-planked hull, only my plywood GIS, but even that was, surprisingly, a huge amount of work to get the panels to look fair without unevenness. Fairing a ply boat where you don't want to thin the wood relies more on applying fairing compound in low spots.

A few things I learned:

1. West 410 Microlight makes a smooth, lightweight, easily-feathered fairing compound which mixes much more quickly than Q-cells (you'll come to appreciate that!). Sometimes it might be necessary/quicker to fill a low spot than remove all the material around it.
    2. Use battens to hold against the hull (a longer one for fore-aft, a shorter one for top-bottom) to find high and low spots
    3. Keep the paper on the fairing boards fresh. Fibreglass/boat shops etc sell rolls of it down to 36 grit which have hook and loop on it - either buy or make a fairing board which has the corresponding side and it will save you a hell of a lot of messing around with glue etc

The rest of it kind of has to be learned by trial and error. Fairing is a nightmare but persist and you'll eventually be glad you did when the topcoat goes on! Good luck.
    Thanks. I like the tip of using battens to check the hull the challenge is how to keep them in place without using few people or drilling in the hull?

Happy to work again on hardwood. Getting ready to cut the centerboard slot. A lot of preparation to get it right first time. I learned a lot from other on the site. Started by creating a pattern, aligning, leveling and gluing it in place, marking, cutting with jigsaw and finally ready for the router.

Dry fitting all the keel parts for the first time. I need some more planing.

Added a jig to keep it aligned with the center to speed up the work

I have seen other adding a fillet around the keel. I don't see that on the original plans. Is that necessary? is that for reducing noise?