Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Building the 12' - 6'' Tom Cat

Default Re: Building the 12' - 6'' Tom Cat

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    Good job, Ofer! You made it look easy.

Bill
    Thanks, Bill, it wasn't too once you understand that two people can lift the boat.

Nice workmanship! Thanks for sharing your project.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Ended up building my own simple stands for the boat. I placed three on each side and the boat feels solid. It also allows me to level the boat or change it in the future if needed.

Nice solution Ofer! Your progress is encouraging me to get back in the shop!

I like the pads for the boat stand! Very creative!!

I started to work on the centerboard and CB trunk while cleaning and sending the internal hull

Strengthen the leading edge with thickened epoxy

Last edited by oferraz; 11-15-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Keep up the great work!

Yes, I can see the pictures now! Cool to watch another one coming into existence Ofer.

Now to start planning the first Tom Cat rendezvous; Toowoomba, Philadelphia, Cailfornia... how about a Cruise on the Broads of England!?

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post
    Yes, I can see the pictures now! Cool to watch another one coming into existence Ofer.

Now to start planning the first Tom Cat rendezvous; Toowoomba, Philadelphia, Cailfornia... how about a Cruise on the Broads of England!?
    Hi Greg, this is exciting. We should get together somewhere. I hope to finish and be ready for next summer. In any case, I hope to come visit you one day at your place and see the boat. Let me know if you get to the SF bay area.

Some more progress. Just finished glassing the internal hull. Four layers of epoxy at this phase. I will probably add more after gluing the floorboards and frames.

The Centerboard trunk is also almost ready. It also needs more epoxy to seal it before installing.

The centerboard is also almost ready. With a pivot hole drilled and hardened with thickened epoxy. I have to say that at this point the pivot hole don't feel strong enough and I have to better understand what will hold the centerboard in place as the trunk box is relatively big and wide.

and a closeup look

The Centerboard trunk is almost ready for installation.

and a photo of a dry fit

For the centerboard bushing I decided to go with a simple plumbing nipples, from brass, that you can get at HomeDepot. Its a simple solution but I think that it is smart and will survive for a long time.

I had to cut it to the right size and add some slots for the epoxy to hold it

And last here is is glued to the Centerboard trunk with the centerboard in place.

Sorry Offeraz, apologies for my non understanding and ignorance as to how this fits together - can you provide a quick diagram or some such?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Water View Post
    Sorry Offeraz, apologies for my non understanding and ignorance as to how this fits together - can you provide a quick diagram or some such?
    Here it is. This is not exactly my case but you can see the use of the Plumbing nipple. What was missing in my photo was the bronze pivot pin.

This is the work of this week. I started with the floorboards. I am using 3/4" Oak for the floorboards and my plan is to have them glue in place first and then use it for placing and banding the frames.

and gluing the first two floorboards

Looks great! Good work.

If you planning on putting limber holes in, I would do it before more gluing..

beautiful build so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SailAR View Post
    If you planning on putting limber holes in, I would do it before more gluing..

beautiful build so far.

Hi, thanks for the comment. You can't see it on the last photo but before gluing I did put a limber holes. I will add a photo of it as I am not sure the holes are big enough.

Ofer

Season's Greetings Ofer! Judging by the fair curves on the bottoms of the floors; you have a nice fair hull. I had some unevenness particularly in the turn of the bilge up near the bow on mine. Now all you have to do is figure out, exactly, how many floors you want and where to locate them!!! Note: Keep track of your station marks as they are very useful in locating interior and deck pieces.

Season's Greetings Ofer! Judging by the fair curves on the bottoms of the floors; you have a nice fair hull. I had some unevenness particularly in the turn of the bilge up near the bow on mine. Now all you have to do is figure out, exactly, how many floors you want and where to locate them!!! Note: Keep track of your station marks as they are very useful in locating interior and deck pieces.

Hi Greg, happy new year to you and all the builders and supporters. May it be the year we launch our boats and hopefully get together.

All the best,

Ofer

Great build! I love the design. Can't wait to see the finished product.

This week was about finishing the floors and start preparing for the frames. I ended up with 7 floors most of them spread with identical distance.

I left a relatively small limber holes for the water to flow below the floors and I hope that it will be enough.

I decided to build the brace for the centerboard trunk out of a solid Oak instead of marine plywood. Its just look nicer and I think that the trunk has enough support between all the floors.

Last, today, while driving, I discovered, by accident that I have a neighbor that just bought an SF Pelican. I had to stop and take a look. Nice boat.

Last edited by oferraz; 01-15-2018 at 12:04 AM.

It was time for framing. After researching the internet, getting some tips and watching many online videos, I was ready to start. I dug through a pile of White Oak at the lumberyard and find what I thought is a good straight-grain 10' wood. Unfortunately, it is a cabinet wood so it is very dry and not so great for bending but that what I have around.

I started by using a foam button and mark the location of the frames.

I left the test frames (3/4"x3/4) socked in water, overnight, in hope to get the moisture level up. I then steam the frame in a plastic slive for an hour (my steam-box is not long enough).

Unfortunately, it works out as I have expected... the frame snapped as soon as I started to bend it and cracked in few places

Here is another example...

I am not giving up yet on using a solid frame. I don't want to use a laminate frame if I can help it. Any suggestions?

To my surprise changing the lumber solved the problem. As soon as I switched to a different lumber steaming and bending was easy and the work started to progress. Here are some photos

Getting ready to install the floorboard margins.
    Last edited by oferraz; 02-09-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Well done Ofer! Where did you find the wood?

It feels so GOOD when something finally works out right. You have a good looking boat going there Ofer.
    "The future is already here it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    It feels so GOOD when something finally works out right. You have a good looking boat going there Ofer.
    Thanks. It is moving forward. I can almost see the end. I hope top get it wet this summer.

Well done Ofer! Where did you find the wood?
    The White Oak is from a local lumber company called MacBeath. It's a dry wood but since our frames are relatively thin it works without wetting the wood or any other treatment. The only thing I did was rounding the edges before steaming.

A lot of progress after finishing with the frames. It's great to work on hardwood parts. Its fast and you can see the change every day. I started with the clamp timber. Splining, and steaming it into place the photo show the dry fitting. Most of the internal parts are going to be done using Douglas Fir.

In parallel, I created the floor margins and steam them and clamp them to a pattern.

Fast forward few days... most of the floor is in place and I am now working on the support for the seats. Someone was suggesting to buy more wood for the floor than what you think you will need... I now have to go get more wood to finish the floor.

And last is a detail of the seat support

I am now getting quote for the sail. For the same design some suggesting to use 5.5 ounce Dacron other suggesting 4.93oz or 3.9. Any input or suggestion what should be used for this boat?

Quote Originally Posted by oferraz View Post
    A lot of progress after finishing with the frames. It's great to work on hardwood parts. Its fast and you can see the change every day. I started with the clamp timber. Splining, and steaming it into place the photo show the dry fitting. Most of the internal parts are going to be done using Douglas Fir.

In parallel, I created the floor margins and steam them and clamp them to a pattern.

Fast forward few days... most of the floor is in place and I am now working on the support for the seats. Someone was suggesting to buy more wood for the floor than what you think you will need... I now have to go get more wood to finish the floor.

And last is a detail of the seat support

I am now getting quote for the sail. For the same design some suggesting to use 5.5 ounce Dacron other suggesting 4.93oz or 3.9. Any input or suggestion what should be used for this boat?
    Pick the weight of sail material for the conditions in which you will sailing.
    Be conservative because the wind does not always cooperate with your plans.

Wow, nice advance there Ofer! Motivating! I had to split my sheer clamps to take the bend. How did the steaming work on your D. Fir? Good it seems!

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    Pick the weight of sail material for the conditions in which you will sailing.
    Be conservative because the wind does not always cooperate with your plans.
    Thanks for the advice. I will be sailing mostly around the San Francisco Bay area. High wind in summer. I should probably go with the heavier fabric. I got a good quote on the 4.93oz.

Wow, nice advance there Ofer! Motivating! I had to split my sheer clamps to take the bend. How did the steaming work on your D. Fir? Good it seems!
    Douglas Fir steamed ok. It is also not a very aggressive bending so it was fine. I did have a challenge around the scarfing and glue as I needed to scarf two logs together to get the shape that I needed. What width did you use for the bottom boards? I have used 3/4, it's nice but is heavier than the 1/2 the plans are suggesting.

I used 3/4 as well The plans are for traditional construction showing more frames and floors than strip building and fiberglassing call for. I think Laurie used 5/8 and said it was thick enough; not sure what wood though, probably a pine. I think we need thicker floorboards for the fewer floors they rest on. Heavier perhaps than needed but they wont flex and the weight is nice and low

Hi guys...Queensland Maple is the timber of choice for the grate and floor boards in Meerkat. Flindersea Brayleyana or closely related to Citrus or more commonly close to Mahogany.

Haha! Hello Laurie! We'll be right down (under) to pickup a supply of Queensland Maple. I could have looked that up easily enough... The QLD Maple sure looks great varnished and who (oh who) has a cockpit grate in a 12' catboat, eh? You certainly have a beauty there and all thanks for your detailed documentation and pictures. Hope this message finds you enjoying retirement and soon sailing.

I sent you a private message on your forum asking another question...