Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whiskeyfox
    • May 2015

Re: Zeta 14' Trimaran from Richard Woods

Richard, are there factors other than the Zest heritage that made you stick with a more dinghy-like main hull? Ditto for the Tryst/Duo design.

What I really want to know is what difference in performance one can expect from a much more slender waterline beam.
    The Italian 10ft Diecipiedi development class trimarans seem to lean towards super-skinny hulls. Would the much greater displacement/length ratio of a 10 footer call for a different set of design decisions if speed was the goal?

Comment

• Richard of Woods Designs
      Woods Designs
      • Oct 2010

Re: Zeta 14' Trimaran from Richard Woods

The Tryst/Duo hull is actually very different to the Zeta/Zest, despite them looking similar at first glance. The Tryst is really a stabilized Duo, and the latter is designed as a yacht tender, a rowing boat, and a boat that can be built from 2 sheets of ply. So the hull shape is optimised for 4.5 knots, maximum rowing speed. And the displacement is such that it can take three adults rowing and motoring (not when sailing as one occupant sits on the mast step, another in the tiller area.) I don't think the Italian class boats can carry three people and be motored? Certainly if I designed a singlehanded 1 person 10ft boat it would be very different to the Duo/Tryst

The Zest has a planing hull and proportionately less load carrying, in part because it has an open transom. The Zeta hull shape is similar, but is about 100mm narrower as obviously it has outriggers for stability and also has a somewhat larger rig.

A finer hull has proportionately more WSA so is slower at low speeds. But a finer hull is faster at higher speeds as wave making is proportional to waterline beam cubed. So it is always a tradeoff/compromise.

So when you say "speed was the goal" would you mean maximum possible speed, or max speed for the conditions where you sail. Which are not always the same. I have sailed in PE, pretty windy and big seas compared to anywhere in the USA and even in most of the UK. The smaller the boat the bigger the compromises.

I am still thinking that a low rider Moth with outriggers might not be a bad single hander boat, I'd give it a go but I have too many boats already.....

Not sure if that helped? If not, please email me at [email protected] to discuss it further.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs
      www.sailingcatamarans.com
      Last edited by Richard of Woods Designs; 02-06-2018, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Working...