Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011 LastLast

Thread: An Ilur in R.I.

Default Re: An Ilur in R.I.

Forward longitudinal bulkheads glued in today. And began truing the edge of a giant oak plank in order to bring it to work where the table saw waits. Ironically, the giant board will be cut and milled for gunwale strips.

[IMG]IMG_1343 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1344 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]jointing the edge by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Not sure if I recall correctly the other Ilur builds, do those compartments made by the longitudinal bulkheads get a top and filled with foam for flotation? If so, it's a fun exercise to fit the top to the hull shape.

Looking good!

Jason

I don't know about the Ilur, so others will need to chime in, but our Vivier Morbic 11 also has floatation compartments and I chose not to fill with foam so that I can use them to store things we want to keep dry while out on the water (wallet, phone, keys).

These compartments all have access through 8" circular deck plates, that were called out in the plans. Is there a deck plate called out in the plans for access to the compartment you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    I don't know about the Ilur, so others will need to chime in, but our Vivier Morbic 11 also has floatation compartments and I chose not to fill with foam so that I can use them to store things we want to keep dry while out on the water (wallet, phone, keys).

These compartments all have access through 8" circular deck plates, that were called out in the plans. Is there a deck plate called out in the plans for access to the compartment you are referring to?

The CNC kit is designed for foam flotation, with foredeck sole and bench tops spaced to allow water to drain down and out through limber holes:

It works well....here, capsize testing shortly after build....I am standing on the mast, and weigh 165 lbs/75kg:

For what it is worth, I have added a beach roller to Waxwing’s kit this season, and the plan is to stow it ahead of the forward thwart, attached by some straps to the thwart to keep it secure when not needed. Should provide more bouyancy forward in the event of capsize:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, John. That is what the bulkheads will be for in my boat, too. Built-in flotation was the first requirement for this build, and my tanks will be filled with ethafoam, with limber holes for drainage.

I'm building the "Classic" Ilur, but I'm taking a lot of cues from the CNC kit, including built-in flotation in tanks under the side seats.

I like the beach-roller idea. More flotation, and you're less likely to get stuck on a beach with what is a pretty heavy boat.

Thanks to all for checking in!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

John, that's a great idea with the added beach roller flotation...
    I'll have to experiment with how that might work with the somewhat longer deck on Clarisa.
    /Chris

Not much progress to report, but the light was nice in the garage this morning. An overall view from aft shows the rear longitudinal bulkheads where there will be flotation under the side seats and a little lazarette under the stern sheets. I added some much-needed fillets on the forward flotation tanks and glued the cleats for the floorboards up forward. The center area there will probably hold a small anchor and rode as well as the tips of the oars.

[IMG]IMG_1348 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1353 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1352 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Happy Spring!

Mike

Got a few things done on the Ilur this week. This is a much more complex build than the open Whilly Boat! So many details, and i imagine she's getting pretty heavy.
    In the next few weeks, I'd like to get the gunwales on and then think about turning over to complete the outer hull and paint. Hopefully, lots of friends can help!

An overall view...

[IMG]May18-1 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Some window boxes for Mom...

[IMG]flowerbox by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Coaxing the outer layer of the rubrail into place...

[IMG]IMG_1374 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

An interior shot...

[IMG]May '18 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

More interior...

[IMG]May'18 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

The rubrail again...

[IMG]rubrail by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

And... a giant ugly fillet reinforced with fiberglass tape holding a bulkhead in place. Fortunately, it will remain out of sight when boat is finished.

[IMG]uglyfillet by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Tomorrow I plan to begin work on the gunwales. I've got a rabbet cut in two 8 foot pieces of white oak and cut the scarfs as well. I'm going to use flex epoxy from Total Boat for the first time, so I did a test tonight.

I'm glad I did! I thought it would be a similar consistency to regular epoxy, and that I would thicken it. Not so. Both parts are very thick right out of the bottle. About like honey.

Here are some pix of the test. I used a measuring cup from kid's allergy medicine. The parts are mixed one to one and there is a 70 minute working time. That should be enough to paint it on the exposed ply edge at the top of the sheerstrake, and then slather a bunch into the rabbet. Lots of clamps will be used.

[IMG]IMG_1378 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1380 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1383 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1379 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Well, I am very pleased with the flexible epoxy. It's a bit tough to spread, being so thick, but other tan that, it's pretty great. I mixed one-to one by eye, and so far, so good.
    The rubrail test came out perfectly, so I went ahead with the real thing.

Nice tight glue-lines. Here's the joint at the stem...

[IMG]rubrail:stem by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the scarf is pretty good, too...

[IMG]scarf by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

At the transom, we were a tad short once the scarf was lined up, but I decided to just fill it with a scrap of white oak. I couldn't make myself cut another piece and scarf it in for such a little blemish. If there are more like this, or worse, the gunwales will have to be painted rather than bright.

[IMG]rubrail:transom by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Overall from front...

[IMG]rubrail by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Inside...

[IMG]inter. by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looking very nice Mike! I'll be looking to the same task before too awfully long; great pics, thanks!

Looking great, Mike, nice to see you making progress - such a pretty boat.

Hi Mike,

You've made a lot of progress and it looks great. I'm finding the more I do, the more I realize I have a long way to go. But it is fun.

Keep up the great work.

Going well, Mike.
    A little shim here and there does no harm.
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Ha! I didn't notice the shim until this morning. I was so proud of my scarf that I forgot to hide the evidence!

But yes, although the steam-bending of the ribs went pretty well for a first-timer, there were places where they didn't touch the planking, so a shim was used.
    There's so many spots to pay attention to as you bend them in with your feet and then pound the ends, all the while fearing that cracking sound!

Thanks for following along!

Mike

Keep it up, Mike! She's a beauty.

Kenny
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Well, faithful readers, the gunwales are on! They were pretty straightforward, just took a while. Fourteen long strips were glued on in the end. The middle layer of the sandwich was made up of three pieces per side in order to stagger the scarfs. The oak did have some grain runout and checks, but I hope not too bad.

The middle layer is notched to accept the frame heads...

[IMG]gun'l notch by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Dry fitting the last layer on starboard side...

[IMG]dryfit by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Many clamps!

[IMG]clamps! by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

A view at the bow...

[IMG]gun'l at bow by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

The garage has been cleared a bit because tomorrow some friends are coming to help flip this baby over so I can finish the exterior! The riveting of the white oak frames made two flips necessary.

[IMG]ready to flip by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I did sand and varnish an area of the gunwales ( 1 coat of thinned varnish.) Also did a color test for the sheer strake, Kirby's green tint.
    I think the oak looks nice against the green. As of now, my intention is a very dark gray hull, the green sheer, bright gunwales and a blue hull interior, with Doug fir seats and floors.

[IMG]1st varnish by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]color test by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I change my mind all the time, but in a few weeks I'll have to decide and drive over to Kirby's paint shop in New Bedford.

Thanks for looking in!

Mike

Beautiful! Watching your build with great interest!

Cheers,
    Chris

Video test. The majestic Ilur raises its mighty dorsal fin!

This was interesting. I can get the board into position from inside the boat, but the hdpe discs that I added around the bushing make it too fat to get in from below (above in the video.) I started to widen the opening by climbing on and using a rasp, but then decided to try from inside. If I leave it this way, I'll need to make the CB cap removable. I need to think about it.

Another example of the tweaks Vivier made to the kit being superior. He now has a slot of sorts to lower the board right into place.

Hope you enjoy my kooky video!

Mike

Another small milestone, the first coat of primer. Sure shows the places that need fairing compound. From 10 feet away though, she's not too bad! Filler, another coat of primer, then paint and a brass half oval keel band and we're ready for another flip.

Cheers,

Mike

[IMG]IMG_1493 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lookin' good, nice work!

Ken

Woo-hoo! Getting close, Mike. Looks great.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Nice, very nice indeed! Keep posting. So exciting for another Ilur to be born!

Chris

Hi Mike,

It looks great! I love the Kirby colors. Please post some pictures of the fairing process. I'm about to start that process after the first layer of strips.

Regards,

Dean

Hey Mike! I just caught up on your thread and your progress looks great. Top notch work getting those strakes fair!

If you have a list of available help I'd be happy to join it. We're relocating the the northwest suburbs of Boston next month and I'm looking forward to meeting the New England WBF contingent.

Mike
    "You may be orange, you may like hamburgers, and you may be a clown, but you sir are no Ronald McDonald" - John Stewart

Hi Mike. Love to have you visit sometime. I'm going to try to flip the boat in the next couple of weeks. Will need some help for that, if you're around. I believe Kenny (minuteman) is in that neck of the woods, too. I have yet to get together with him, but I hope to.

Here's a look at the first coat of paint. My cutting in is a little rough, but I'll take care of that. I'll re-paint the sheer when she's upright again.

[IMG]1st coat paint by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

If the color scheme looks familiar, that's because it belongs to An Suire, Tim Cooke's Ilur. It was not my intention to copy him, but in the end, after many variations, this is what I felt I wanted. I always liked the black hull on Roger Barnes' Avel Dro, and I also always intended to have a blue interior like on that boat. Now, with the blue on the sheer, I may paint the interior with the can of Kirby's "Sand" semi-gloss that I bought last fall.

Anyway Tim, if you're reading this, please consider it a compliment, not intellectual property theft.

Got the brass half-oval yesterday from online metals. Looks great, ad they got it to me in one day!

Cheers,

Mike

And, since the color scheme is out there, I may as well put the name in writing and see if I can commit to that.

"Nimbus."

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Hi Mike. Love to have you visit sometime. I'm going to try to flip the boat in the next couple of weeks. Will need some help for that, if you're around. I believe Kenny (minuteman) is in that neck of the woods, too. I have yet to get together with him, but I hope to.

Here's a look at the first coat of paint. My cutting in is a little rough, but I'll take care of that. I'll re-paint the sheer when she's upright again.

[IMG]1st coat paint by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

If the color scheme looks familiar, that's because it belongs to An Suire, Tim Cooke's Ilur. It was not my intention to copy him, but in the end, after many variations, this is what I felt I wanted. I always liked the black hull on Roger Barnes' Avel Dro, and I also always intended to have a blue interior like on that boat. Now, with the blue on the sheer, I may paint the interior with the can of Kirby's "Sand" semi-gloss that I bought last fall.

Anyway Tim, if you're reading this, please consider it a compliment, not intellectual property theft.

Got the brass half-oval yesterday from online metals. Looks great, ad they got it to me in one day!

Cheers,

Mike
    I will take it as a compliment Mike! I think there is a large enough body of water between us that the two boats are unlikely to be in the same place at the same time! Your boat is coming along great. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Tim. Watch out though, I've got family in Ireland, and I hear the Ilur is very seaworthy!

So today I decided the blue was a tad bright, and after sanding and tacking it, I mixed up a version that was a smidge darker and more neutral.
    To do this, I added a glug of the gray hull color and a dollop of royal blue Rustoleum.

You can see in the first photo that it's different. Then I painted away. In the second photo, it's mostly dry. I don't know if it looks different on your screens, but I hope and think it's an improvement.

[IMG]IMG_1503 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1505 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Alright, now we return you to your regular programming.

Mike

Mostly done with the brass half-oval keel-band. Lots od drilling and countersinking. The half-oval profile makes countersinking a bit tricky. On Swift I just used flat stock, which was simple.

Half-oval sure is pretty, though. I've got some black Sikaflex to bed it in. After that, I'll strike a water line, and just indicate where the waterline will be for bottom paint, which I'll wait to put on until just before launch.

Really looking forward to getting back to the interior though!

[IMG]IMG_1507 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1509 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1508 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

That is a very pretty color scheme you've come up with, I look forward to seeing what you do on the interior too.

As much as I enjoyed sailing my old Deer Isle Koster and as valid as all the reasons were for selling her still are, I think if I had built an Ilur it would still be in my driveway.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I like the colour scheme too, and the brass strip, and the way you have brought the laps of the planking all the way to the stem. Excellent work all round.

Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980