Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78

Thread: An Ilur in R.I.

Default Re: An Ilur in R.I.

Nice Mike! Interesting use of that pin to allow swivel up/down...

On another note, I would really like to commission a watercolor once my looooong build is photographed under sail? PM me if it might be possible...

A bit more progress on the tiller. First, a full-length. Then a close-up of the detail at front. This is fun-type woodworking!

[IMG]IMG_0778 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0779 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Very swoopy.

In the last photo you have some definite heavenly aura stuff goin' on. Very cool.

Kenny

Yippee! Snow day! Dry-fitting the 6th pair of planks.

[IMG]snow day by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]snowplank by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Great going and a wonderful picture in the snow!
    Keep the epoxy warm though!

Cheers /Chris

Thanks for the rudder/tiller photos--that's one of the next details I'll sort out for my Alaska. I really want something that will let me remove the tiller easily. I'm picturing a pin to fit a notch in the rear side of the rudderhead, but when I lift the tiller vertical, the pin can be disengaged and the tiller lifted free--so not quite the same as yours, I guess. Lots of ways to do different things.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Jeez Mike, you are waaaay more determined than I. I barely went outside to shovel today.

Boat's looking good.

Kenny

Hi Tom,
    My tiller will lift free just as you describe. The angles cut in the middle layer of wood allow it to be lifted and slid off the rudder head. Vivier includes them in the plans.
    Pics in post 243. The cheeks on the rudder "cassette" are where it rests in the down position.

Should be handy if I need to use the tiller as a cudgel in case I'm boarded!

Mike

Mike,

I really like that tiller / rudder arrangement.

The kit comes with a different setup where the tiller is fitted through the head of the rudder head.
    I just started working on mine, trying to make sure everything fits snugly.

Love to observe your building process.

Cheers!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Hi Tom,
    My tiller will lift free just as you describe. The angles cut in the middle layer of wood allow it to be lifted and slid off the rudder head. Vivier includes them in the plans.
    Pics in post 243. The cheeks on the rudder "cassette" are where it rests in the down position.
    Mike,

thanks--I wasn't sure yours was the same kind of thing. I'll take a closer look.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Brief update: Last year while browsing at Jamestown Dist., I scored a gallon of Deks #1 for five bucks, since the can was rather dented.

Today, I decanted into a couple of containers, and put a coat of oil on my tiller, a cleat, and began to oil the floorboards from Swift.

[IMG]IMG_0846 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0848 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0849 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I forgot how stinky this stuff is, though. It must have a lot of volatile solvents. As you can see, my furnace and water heater are nearby, so next time, I'll be outside or open a window.

Wow, that cleat looks fantastic.
    "Oh my god, Triscuits are, like, the best." L.F Herreshoff, The Compleat Cruiser

Great job on the build Mike. The castings look terrific. 'Like your tiller also. I will be doing a similar tiller and will probably have a go at steaming some ash to get the bend (approx 3") required from one straight piece.
    Cheers
    PeterW

Greetings! This weekend saw temps hovering in the mid 40's during the day, and I've been dying to work on the hull again, so with my recently purchased tube of thixo in hand, I decided to tackle the skeg attachment.

As a test, though, on Saturday I glued the bilge runners on. They are attached with the thixo and four bronze screws each. It went well, though the low temps meant slow curing. The thixo is very easy to use. It requires a lot of hand-strength!

Then, today the skeg. I had intended to do massive fillets, and while still green, 3 inch fiberglass tape for added strength, but after applying all the goop on the skeg and getting it all attached, the tip was clogged and I didn't have an extra, so that will have to wait.

[IMG]thixo by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]skeg1 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]skeg2 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

The skeg has two S.S. fasteners in it, but is really held on by the epoxy. That's why I'm thinking of the 'glass tape and huge fillet deal, for peace of mind.

Warm weather's just around the corner!

Mike

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted, so a brief update is in order. I didn't want to bore everyone with a post about every plank that went on.

Over the last few weeks I've got most of them attached. One more to go! Today, I began to work on the external stem bit. Got the fit pretty good. There's a bit of a gap at the very top, but I'm hoping to fill that with an epoxy-slathered shim of sapele when I attach the thing permanently. First, I need to bevel it and do a bit of trimming where it will meet the keel.

Here are a few pix:

[IMG]18th plank by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]19th plank by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]stem1 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Stem2 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

great progress! Lookin' good!

/Chris

Hi Mike,

Wow, I can't believe how far you have come. The hull looks great. The stem appears to fit very nicely. Did you have to do any post glue-work? Mine appears to have sprung a bit. I'm not sure what I will do it when it comes time to install it.

Regards,

Dean

Looking good, Mike! I was wondering how things were coming along, thanks for the great pictures.

Hurray! The whiskey plank is on! A year an a half after receiving plans, the boat is planked. Outer stem is also on.
    I cut the final piece for the cobbled-together external keel (seen here at the centerboard slot) and will spring it down this week. Also, my first transom!

I went with this method since that's how I did it on my Whilly Boat, and to work with the material I had, but somehow, I missed the thickness of the keel.
    I'm at about 3/4" to 7/8" the plans call for one and a quarter," so I'll be adding a full-length piece of about a half inch depth once I attach the piece shown here.

Then it's filling holes, sanding, some filleting and then primer!

I've also been sailing Swift on the upper bay, and making a cover for her, since she's on a mooring. She's just to left of the red Beetle Cat.

Cheers!

[IMG]IMG_0982 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0991 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0984 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0993 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0994 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0990 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Hurray! The whiskey plank is on! A year an a half after receiving plans, the boat is planked. Outer stem is also on.
    I cut the final piece for the cobbled-together external keel (seen here at the centerboard slot) and will spring it down this week. Also, my first transom!
    Mike - looking really great! Thanks for the great pictures. She is really coming along nicely.

Jason

My Ilur now has a complete keel! It's assembled from about 750 small pieces.
    Actually more like six, but it's done, and the final layer of 1/2 inch sapele was basically one long piece. (small scarph near the aft end.)

Needs a bit of final shaping. Going to be doing a bit of fairing compound in a few places on the hull, but I'm pleased at my progress so far. It looks kind of like an Ilur by Francois Vivier, which is one of my favorite boats!

[IMG]IMG_1016 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1017 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1018 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

lookin' good!!

I love these pictures - your hull looks great.

Is there a lot of interior work to be done after you flip?

Kenny
    "Oh my god, Triscuits are, like, the best." L.F Herreshoff, The Compleat Cruiser

making great progress!
    Excellent!
    Chris

Thanks fellas. Kenny I have ALL the interior work to do after I flip. That's the biggest advantage of the kit over the "classic" Ilur. With the kit, you have a good start on the interior by the time you flip. Also, it will be in the correct place, which could be handy.

I plan to get the holes and dings filled , sand, coat with epoxy then prime before flipping. I'll flip it back over for paint after I poke around 200 holes in the hull for rivets. I'm coming up to the point of steaming and riveting in frames, 10 of them. I want to set the heads of the rivets in a bit, so I can fill them with fairing compound, then paint.

I'm wondering how to deal with primer and paint or epoxy coating of the interior with the frames in the way. I believe a PM to Tim C. is in my future!

Cheers,

Mike

Well, yesterday I managed to flip the boat with the help of several generous friends who came out on a hot, humid day to assist. I decided not to finish the outer hull before turning over, since the rivet holes will need to be addressed. So the plan is to steam in 10 frames, then do the gunnels. This should make the hull nice and rugged. Then turn her again and finish the outside.

It's great to see how voluminous this hull is! That's a pretty good-sized bucket in the last pic...

[IMG]flipped! by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]flip1 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]interiorbucket by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mike--She is looking fine! Job well done. Here are a couple of images for you as teasers---the Ilur is not only voluminous, she is a serious little ship......the first is Peter Mumford in CLOUD ATLAS, with the boomless standing lug on a fine, breezy day on Blue Hill Bay on the Maine coast:

And a shot of WAXWING, on a blustery late fall day on Lake Champlain last October:

You aren't just building a sailboat......you are building an adventure machine......keep up the good work!
    Cheers,
    J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks great - you're doing a beautiful job.

Thanks, fellas. John, those are great shots!

Well, the worst part of the whole build (knock wood) is almost over. Removing umpteen blobs of hardened epoxy with heat gun and scraper just about put my shoulder out of commission. I thought I had been pretty diligent about cleaning up squeeze-out, but no such luck. And where the molds were was impossible to get to anyway.

Started a few test fillets this AM. Need to mix it a bit thicker next time.

Oh, and the steam box is done. Hope it works!

[IMG]IMG
    _1137
    by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1138 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1140 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Wow, she is looking really great. I can't wait to see the progress as you put those frames in....going to look sweet.

Looking great--seems like the PNW guys have their Oughtred/Hvalsoe boats, and the NE guys are building up an Ilur fleet. I'm not sure which one I'd bet on, actually. Have fun with the finishing now that you have a hull!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com