Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: An Ilur in R.I.

Default Re: An Ilur in R.I.

When my Alaska is on the trailer, it becomes obvious in the rear-view mirror that the stem is not quite vertical, but leans slightly to starboard. Never bothers me when I'm afloat! I'd guess many observers will never notice.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

When I flipped my Navigator back upright I noticed that the stem and centerboard are not in perfect alignment. This is good, because now when I fall overboard, the boat will circle back around to get me.

Kenny
    "Oh my god, Triscuits are, like, the best." L.F Herreshoff, The Compleat Cruiser

Thanks for the reassurances! Kenny your self-rescue scenario is brilliant!

All nine stations now have frames. The cant frames up in the bow went fine this AM, then the aft-most pieces were slated to go next.
    One piece broke, but then, after another 15 minutes of steam, they went in fine. They definitely don't all touch in all the places they are supposed to, but hopefully, as I rivet my way up from the keel towards the sheer, I can pull them in or shim the places that need it. Riveting is the next big adventure!

[IMG]six frames by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]steamin in driveway by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]cant frames by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]allframes by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]all frames by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm looking forward to riveting both for the experience of doing it, and hopefully, for the stiffening up of the hull.

I'm not sure how I'll get access to garboards. The choices are:tilting the hull over, which could cause mis-shapenness, or to build up some bracing so the keel is about a foot off the floor and level everything in all directions. This would be my preferred method, but I'm concerned about climbing in and out and putting all my weight on the planking. I guess if I do enough bracing, it will be OK.

Thanks for looking!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

My wife Margaret and I have been picking away at the riveting this last week. She has been an awesome helper! She's been on the outside, so after I drill a hole, she drives the copper nail in, then backs it up with the dolly as I drive the rove down onto the shank and then as I peen the end over.
    It's been really fun!

The frames don't lie as perfectly as I could wish, so for now there are some spots with no rivet. I may insert shims later and rivet these places.

A few photos ...

First, using a plumb bob to make sure the frames are, well, plumb.

[IMG]plumb bob by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then, the tools of the trade.

[IMG]tools by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]some rivets by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is one of the cant frames up front.

[IMG]many rivets by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's a view of Margaret's side. Nice handiwork there, honey!

[IMG]outside by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

And an overview. We're about halfway through. Even though riveting a frame is pretty quick, there's a bit of head scratching and adjustment in between. They are not perfect, but I'm hoping that the bulkheads and gunwales will make up for it.

[IMG]coming along by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Looking good Mike . I've not done any rivetting ...maybe the next boat ??
    PeterW

Mike , how will you seal the rivets against moisture?

much as i'm appreciating building the kit, i think this is a whole lot more pleasing aesthetically!

Nice indeed! Sure is something to be said for that classic look, isn't there?
    Ken

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Andrew, the plan is to put a couple of dabs of CPES on/around each rivet head hoping for maximum penetration, then a coat or two of epoxy on the whole hull, then primer and paint.

Inside gets a similar treatment. Hopefully this will prevent moisture coming in. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for water ingress!
    The designer did specify rivets and glued lap plywood.

Mike

Hi Mike,

It's looking great. You keep getting further and further ahead of me. In my plane, any rivet that needed to be watertight (read fuel tight) was installed "wet". Each rivet was dipped in polysulfide sealant before bucking. It was messy, but did work! I think such a practice would be considered overkill for a boat.

Good luck,

Dean

'I have a question from way back when you were building. Did you customize bulkhead 7 to your own specs? It looks like a better solution than what M. Vivier has in the mylar patterns. It looks like you made the oar-stowage holes wider and notched out a resting place for the longitudinal carling, then made the plywood follow the front of the center-case and back out to each side.'

^^I received the above query from Mike through my blog and he asked me to answer on here. I posted the query to try and avoid any cunfusion for others following this thread!

Mike, I didn't modify the bulkhead at all. I just followed the mylar plans. Could Francois Vivier have updated the patterns since I built my Ilur??

It seems that Mr. Vivier updates the plans frequently. For example, puzzle joints to snap the two components of each strake together were simpler when John Hartmann built his Ilur Waxwing than the more complex puzzle joints that were on the strakes of my kit. The result was a tight fit with no wiggle room to ensure perfect alignment. I know that Clint Chase came up with another ingenious 3-D method that achieves the same objective.

Following your build with great interest as it is so different from the glued-lapstrake version. Looking good!

Chris

Thanks so much for the quick reply Tim! I'll bet Vivier changed the plans a bit, but I think I like the way it was done on your build. The oar stowage holes are a tad smaller, but the bulkhead itself would have more structural integrity.

Here is a photo of my plans, which the mylar patterns echo. The cut out goes all the way to the top of the bulkhead, and there's no central vertical piece.
    Also note that there is a rectangle to the left where one would have to router or cutout a landing spot for the longitudinal carling that is a major support for the floor.

[IMG]IMG_1223 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is a photo from Tim's blog showing the area.

[IMG]bulkhead 7 tims ilur by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is where I was when I messaged Tim last night. I had already begun to copy the photo of how he did it just to see how it looked. The poked holes show how my set of patterns would have it made.

[IMG]IMG_1225 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I may write to M. Vivier and ask him what he thinks. It's been a while since I pestered him! (I've actually only written him once, and he was great.)

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Tim, and John H. and all the others who share such painstaking records of their work. This is a great community and a most valuable resource. Hats off! Hip, hip, hurrah!

Mike

Mike, the build is coming along well—she’s beautiful! Looking at the picture of your ribs crossing the inner keelson, and then at Tim’s picture from his build, it looks as though you will have to nip the ribs which cross where the case and case logs rest on the keelson....I can’t tell from FV’s diagram about the rib ends which abut the case logs....do they float free, or are they afixed to the logs somehow? Is the keelson wide enough and case narrow enough so that the rib ends rest on the keelson?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Thanks so much for the quick reply Tim! I'll bet Vivier changed the plans a bit, but I think I like the way it was done on your build. The oar stowage holes are a tad smaller, but the bulkhead itself would have more structural integrity.

Here is a photo of my plans, which the mylar patterns echo. The cut out goes all the way to the top of the bulkhead, and there's no central vertical piece.
    Also note that there is a rectangle to the left where one would have to router or cutout a landing spot for the longitudinal carling that is a major support for the floor.

[IMG]IMG_1223 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is a photo from Tim's blog showing the area.

[IMG]bulkhead 7 tims ilur by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is where I was when I messaged Tim last night. I had already begun to copy the photo of how he did it just to see how it looked. The poked holes show how my set of patterns would have it made.

[IMG]IMG_1225 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I may write to M. Vivier and ask him what he thinks. It's been a while since I pestered him! (I've actually only written him once, and he was great.)

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Tim, and John H. and all the others who share such painstaking records of their work. This is a great community and a most valuable resource. Hats off! Hip, hip, hurrah!

Mike
    Well, the centerboard is tenoned into the bottom of both thwarts, so that is the same as before. Also, if you look at the bulkhead at the aft end of the centerboard, that doesn't have the horizontal top piece. So it is following the same design as that. Maybe he decided it was over engineered that way. Not having the horizontal top piece would definitely make it easier to get the oars out. Maybe he changed purely for simplification?

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    Mike, the build is coming along well—she’s beautiful! Looking at the picture of your ribs crossing the inner keelson, and then at Tim’s picture from his build, it looks as though you will have to nip the ribs which cross where the case and case logs rest on the keelson....I can’t tell from FV’s diagram about the rib ends which abut the case logs....do they float free, or are they afixed to the logs somehow? Is the keelson wide enough and case narrow enough so that the rib ends rest on the keelson?
    This might clear things up John!

Indeed..Thanks!

As an aside to John's question about the ribs that cross the CB slot, last night I wondered what tool to use to cut them. I had borrowed an oscillating tool from work last week to cut the ribs at the gunwale, but returned it the next day. I cast my eyes about the garage and alighted on this little guy that I got second hand. Perfect! A little wax on the blade helped.
    [IMG]IMG_1231 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Today, I cut out the CB case sides and stuck a couple of temp. posts in and set it in place. Voila! Lots of work to go yet, but so far everything fits.

[IMG]IMG_1232 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm waiting to hear from Francois Vivier regarding the old version of bulkhead 7 that I want to use. That little piece of ply forward of the case is a stand-in.

Backtracking a bit, here I am making templates for the bulkheads with the station molds, hot glue and cardboard pieces.
    [IMG]IMG_1219 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the finished bulkhead 2. Sorry it's so dark.

Thanks for following along!

Mike
    [IMG]IMG_1220 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Very nice fit of the bulkhead, Mike. I did mine the same way, but yours are better! Yay for epoxy. (I'm not saying much, but I'm watching...) You're doing an excellent job.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Mike, looking at the CB box (depicted in #296), I don't see the "slot" into which the pivot pin of the center board slides. Is FV using a different CB design in your version?

/Chris