Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6151617 LastLast

Thread: An Ilur in R.I.

Default Re: An Ilur in R.I.

Nice Mike!!!!

Here's a grainy photo from yesterday. Winds are fluky in this area. Looking forward to some larger water.

Sept. sail.jpg

And I'll try a short video.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Owen View Post

Nimbus returned to the water today, leak-free!
    Awesome. What was the trick?

Good news Mike, I hope to be on the water next year around this time.

Awesome. What was the trick?

The trick was great big glops of goop. Perhaps the most unsightly repairs ever! I had to remove 'glass tape and a fair amount of wood to expose the joint and leave room for said globs of goo.

We went for an afternoon sail yesterday in lovely conditions. Calm sea 10 knots of wind. Here we are tacking out the pretty narrow channel of Bullock's Cove in RI, out to a great area for sailing.

Forward.jpg

Sailin.jpg

M+M sail.jpg

Cheers!

Mike

Looks awesome Mike! I saw the top picture before reading the text and thought, That looks like Bullocks! I very nearly bumped into you but I stayed in the Greenwich cove/Patience/Prudence area this weekend and didn't make it up to the mooring in Bullocks...And trust me I know about the fluky winds in upper Narragansett bay!
    Last edited by MalabarJr; 09-28-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Looking good Mike. It will be so nice when I can get back on the water. I sure do like your mast partner! I wish I had one like that.

Thanks guys! Malabar, I sailed from Greenwich cove with a friends family when I was a teenager. That was my first taste, out around Sally Rock, once even out to the Vineyard. Then after a 30 year hiatus, I took a sailing class here in Prov. Now I'm hooked! Still a lot to learn, though.

David, the mast gate idea was stolen from John Hartmann, and then I took some bronze casting classes. Still very much a newbie at that. I did manage to cast rudder hardware, oarlocks and that mast gate. Very fun and satisfying!

MIke

Wow! It's been almost 7 months since I posted here. But the time is getting close when Nimbus gets back in the swim.

I'm making new oars, which are 9 foot, nine inches and are almost finished. The oars I had been using went away this week along with Swift, my Whilly Boat to their new home out on the Cape, with a new owner, I should say.

Here are a pair of quick-and-dirty footrests for rowing. It will be great to be able to use my whole body when rowing. Just a few weeks now!

Mike

rests.jpg

foot rest.jpg

Michael,
    I just scanned your whole build and am greatly impressed. Congratulations! I am in the middle of building the same boat except I have laminated the ribs instead of steam bending them. I am just fitting them now. Your build has given me some great ideas.
    Munroe

Thanks, Munroe!

I'd like to see your laminated frames if you decide to post any pictures.

Good luck on the build!

Mike

01C32455-D592-43F1-B3FE-B48FCAB202EA.jpgD95B9076-B74C-4C83-8DC0-A809A587998D.jpg
    here are a couple of pictures. The first photo is of frames that have been fit but not fastened and the second is all the frames set in place that were glued up at the time but not fit.

Beautiful work, Munroe! Very tidy job.

This weekend I will start work on a boat-tent/cover. It will mainly be a cover while on the mooring, but I want it to be high enough aft for me to sit upright on the floorboards and drink a cup of coffee with my oatmeal. This of course assumes that I overnight in the boat sometime, which I hope to do this summer.

This is the height of the yard/ridge-pole.
    IMG-0832.jpg

And this is a note to self that the center of the yard should align with the top of the cleat for the main halyard.
    IMG-0833.jpg

And a bunch of Odyssey fabric laid out on the living room floor. This will be the central one of three panels stitched together.
    IMG-0835.jpg

Happy Springtime for those of you in the northern hemishphere!

Mike

Trailer photo for Hopkins.
    trailer.jpg

driveway ilur.jpg

Nice setup. I recently purchased a used trailer and will be changing the setup to fit the Ilur. This will give me some ideas.

Finally got my better half to try steering and minding the mainsheet, or as we call it sailing! It was a perfect day for a beginner and she did great. Hoping she'll want to sail often!
    IMG-0902.jpg

And while I had the tiller, she took this video:

Cheers!

Mike

Another short video. This time of my kiddo at the helm. I've gotta get a better camera, so video footage doesn't have this vertical format from the phone.

I want to make a few tweaks to the rig, (sprit boom is almost done) but so far, Nimbus is a wonderful boat to sail! I'm very happy with her.

Last edited by Michael_Owen; 06-19-2021 at 07:52 AM.

During the last few weeks, I have been using the thumb cleats on the aft quarters as the attachment points for the main sheet. This new sheeting angle dramatically improves sail shape. As you can see here, I hook the bronze ring onto the cleat, but the ring still runs through the rope bridle so the sheet can't get away from me. Perhaps soon I'll take off the "training wheels" and try it without the bridle. I'd also like to replace the ring with a proper bit of rope-work. Maybe this winter.

If anyone wants to share their solution to this (I don't even know what to call it) bit of running rigging, I'd like to see it. Maybe a grommet that is seized in the middle, making an eye at each end?

Thanks!

Mike
    ring on cleat.jpg

Mike,

that's exactly the system I use in my Alaska, which also has a boomless standing lug (i.e. misainier rig). It's simple and effective. I really like it. As you've already noticed, the resulting improvement in the sheeting angle is definitely worth the trouble.

The rope traveler over the tiller does not work by itself without manually shifting the block--my tiller is so high that the traveler line has to be too long. That creates too much slack, and prevents the ring from sliding far enough outboard for optimal sheeting angles.

But, it's still a very useful addition, because when short-tacking--or in particular, when on a heading where frequent gybing will be required--you can choose not to hook the ring on the cleat, and it will still slide over on its own, and not be caught on the windward side and maybe dump you!

I tried all kinds of alternatives, from running a double sheet like a jib (horribly complex and tangle-prone for my taste) to using the rope traveler without manually shifting the block, and rigging a separate line to pull the ring all the way outboard at each tack. In the end, the "move the block by hand at each tack" approach was the simplest and best I found.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Oh--as far as replacing the ring with a bit of ropework? I don't think I'd do that. The rigidity of a metal ring makes it significantly easier to hook it on the cleat. A rope grommet might tend to close up on you if you try to hook it with one hand.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

94B17D03-FF67-4848-961E-784194EF65EB.jpg
    from Mikey Floyd’s Salty Heaven. Can’t get much simpler. He also has different thumb cleats for each reef.
    My Sooty and other boats: https://lingeringlunacy.com/

Thanks, Tom. That is all great info. I can see your point about leaving the rope bridle. It certainly works fine.

And the ring being rigid as opposed to collapsible is worth considering, too. Maybe rope around a thimble? I must confess, the only reason to change would be to look more "salty." Never at the cost of functionality, though!

Salty Heaven is one of my faves! I have study plans and an old article, too. Thanks for the photo.

Mike

Yep, Salty Heaven was a major factor in me even considering using this kind of manual-shift sheeting for my boat. And Tim Cooke, who has at least one video of tacking his Ilur that way and making it look easy. Which it is, once you get used to it.

I like the idea of multiple cleats for changing sheet leads as you reef. I have been lazy about that, just sheeting the reefed, double-reefed, and triple-reefed (rarely used, but essential at times) sail to the same cleat. I'm sure the sheeting angles get progressively worse. Then again, by the third (and maybe the second) reef, it's time to run off anyway, so it hasn't been a major problem.

A rope grommet stiff enough might still be easy to hook. Definitely a thimble eye would work, too, I would think.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Well, the boat has been in the water for about 6 weeks or so, and last week we trailered her home to clean her bottom and tighten some things up and also to try rigging a sprit-boom. I made this hollow and did a bad job on my staves, so there was some filling to do, hence the paint.

I had spliced an eye into a line and then seized a low-friction eye into the crotch of the splice, following John H,'s advice.

There seem to be a couple of options for rigging a sprit-boom, but I'll show what I tried this morning.

Anyone have any tips or tricks? The boat has been sailing fine without it, I just wanted to see if it helps on any points of sail.

Thanks!

IMG-0928.jpg

IMG-0926.jpg

snotter.jpg

Just an update after a long summer of sailing my Ilur, Nimbus. The sprit-boom is a great addition to the rig. It flattens the sail, and also creates some vanging action. Sail shape is much better with this piece of kit.

I've been out about twice or three times a week this summer, which has been great. The boat is just about perfect for me ergonomically. She is stable and I hardly have to duck at all as the sail comes across. I sailed in a 23 foot Sea Sprite the other day, and my neck was sore from trying to keep low.

I currently have about 75 lbs. of lead in the bilge, and I will add more this winter. The Ilur has a big mainsail (116 sq.ft.) for a 600 lb. 14 foot boat, so I mostly sail with one reef in, unless it's light breeze and flattish seas. She definitely has a bit of weather helm in a breeze. I have yet to capsize in anger, but I have had the lee rail skim the water in around 12-15 kts. of breeze. (Estimated. I'd love to have some sort of wind speed indicator. Suggestions?)

Lots of maintenance to do this winter. New paint all around and new varnish. She looks great still, but I was a bit skimpy with the coats before her first launch. Also, the mast leather has compressed in way of the bronze mast gate to a degree that there is a bit of movement as she rolls at the mooring, which drives me crazy. I may simply bulk the area up with some black gaffer's tape unless anyone can suggest a more elegant solution.

I'll probably keep her in for a few more weeks, then the bittersweet day of bringing her home.

Quick video. I've not got the ring on the thumb cleat, whoops!

Very nice! Glad to hear the sprit-boom works well - I decided to ship my kits with one even though it is not in the plan and glad I do. What material and size are you using in the sprit-boom? Thanks
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Hi Clint,

I made all my spars, including the sprit boom hollow, birdsmouth construction from Douglas fir. Very light and strong so far. (Touches wood)

I followed Vivier's "pole" scantlings from the mast and spars page of the plans. About 11 feet long and 45 or so mm. at widest, tapering to 40 mm. at ends.

Mike

Hi Michael,
    Glad you're enjoying Nimbus. Yes, tweaking the rigging goes on for a while.
    To bulk up the mast a bit at the gate you could sew another layer of leather around it. I have done that with my Feather Pram.
    We have a hand-held wind gauge similar to this one:
    Cheers,
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Thanks, Ian! That wind meter looks just the ticket. I'm going to ask Santa for one of those for sure!

Mike

You'll have to be good, then!
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Owen View Post
    Hi Clint,

I made all my spars, including the sprit boom hollow, birdsmouth construction from Douglas fir. Very light and strong so far. (Touches wood)

I followed Vivier's "pole" scantlings from the mast and spars page of the plans. About 11 feet long and 45 or so mm. at widest, tapering to 40 mm. at ends.

Mike
    Thanks Mike...all our spars are cut from Eastern White Spruce....best you can get if you are lucky to know who cuts it. Your DF spars will last forever and I bet are beautiful.
    I think I am going to go with 1 5/8" round for the sprit booms....mostly they are in compression so I don't see why even 1.5" wouldn't work. I looked at his plan and he seems to orient the long axis of the oval pole horizontal rather than vertical, is that your read?
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

This is a readily available wind speed device that sail magazine liked: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZHKWCP4...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Clint, I just made mine round, so I could make it hollow, like everything else. It's very light and plenty strong. Glad you're thinking of including them. You may have to include instructions on how to rig the snotter!

Thanks, Steamboat!

Here's a video from two nights ago. Just me and one local BeetleCat out ghosting along as the sun went down.