Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112 LastLast

Thread: An Ilur in R.I.

Default Re: An Ilur in R.I.

Though totally different from my color choices, I totally love the color scheme!
    It's immensely gratifying to watch your Ilur build.
    Awesome workmanship!

Chris

Like the color scheme but it's a bit dark for a Nimbus cloud! Looking great!
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

enjoying following this build.

Well, I finished my first birdsmouth spar for the boat. I started small, with the bumkin, which is about 55 inches long. And it's not really finished, I need to turn a hardwood end piece to withstand the chafe of the sheet, which will run through the hollow spar. Thanks to John H. for that idea.

Cutting and assembling the pieces was easier than I would have thought. Helps to have a really steady table-saw, though, hence the photos from my workplace.

Knocking the edges off after glue-up...
    [IMG]IMG_1540 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

End view. Pretty happy with this...
    [IMG]IMG_1543 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Spar with tenon and bumkin chock blank...
    [IMG]IMG_1544 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

The chock needs a little work, but it's close...
    [IMG]IMG_1548 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

That's a chunky chock! It should be a few mm thinner, but I didn't feel like planing my stock down for this one piece...
    [IMG]IMG_1550 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

And lastly, a friend and his wife came by on Sat. and helped Margaret and me flip the boat back to its upright position. Woo hoo! Thanks, Tom and Katie!

[IMG]IMG_1542 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Falcon1; 11-08-2018 at 09:59 PM.
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Looking great Mike ....love the colour scheme also.
    PeterW

Hello Mike, That birdsmouth is textbook!!! Nice pics, thanks!

The hollow bumkin is the way to go! That's very neatly done. The boat's looking good, Mike.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

It's all looking really good Mike.

She’s beautiful!

This has just become my favorite build to follow. Good job!

Thanks, guys. The encouragement is always welcome!

The boomkin has had a piece of ipe inset into the end where the sheet exits and has been put aside for varnishing when all the spars are done.

This morning I'm cutting and shaping some quarter knees. Cut the bevel on the bandsaw and touched it up with the low-angle block plane. Hopefully they will look a bit lighter when I round over the edges.

Fun and satisfying woodworking.

Cheers!

Mike

[IMG]quarter knee by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

She has very graceful, pleasant lines. Nice work!

Well the Thanksgiving holiday has given me a chance to work on the mizzen mast. I ripped and birdsmouthed the staves, then tapered the upper two thirds by about a quarter inch. I should have done more, but all the calculations make my head spin. I'll be tapering more in the next few days.

The dry fit:
    [IMG]IMG_1559 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

A view of the top end:
    [IMG]IMG_1563 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yesterday, I did the glue-up. I used strips of plastic under the hose clamps to prevent them sticking:
    [IMG]hoseclamp plastic by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

As you might have noticed, my little supports are only roughly measured and not attached to the table. This is also due to my getting a bit lost when trying to math. I'll try to nail it down before attempting the main mast. As a result, there is a slight hook to the mast, which I will orient pointing backwards so it looks like I'm going really fast!

Here's the top end before I stopped planing to go home and rake leaves. The black marks indicate the final diameter.
    [IMG]mizzen top by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

An all over view:
    [IMG]planing starts by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers!

Mike

Also, I'm beginning to get the seat risers sorted out. They were cut from the same pair of 13 foot Douglas Fir 1x8's I purchased last week.

[IMG]seat riser by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Well done with the mast, Mike. I like the way you have paid attention to the grain in the staves (quarter sawn).
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”

So in my last post I was very pleased with my lovely VG fir seat risers, but I did run into difficulty. I had planned to use homemade brass "L" brackets left over from my first build. (They were thwart knees, but proved too light weight, so I used laminated knees, but that's another story.)

When I went to screw the brackets into the seat riser, it split along the grain. D'oh! Later that evening, I realized that flat grain stock would hold fasteners better and bend into place easier.
    I must have learned something along the way here. I ended up using clear pine, which I will prime with CPES and paint after beveling and installing.

You can't see the split, but it's there. It happened with the first screw, even with pre-drilling, and obviously didn't get any better with the second screw.

[IMG]IMG_1569 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

The pine bent in so much easier. I'm loving the brace and bit I picked up somewhere over the summer. It allows a great "feel" for the screw going in. I REALLY don't want to split the oak frames. In the very foreground, you can see a bit of the mizzen mast. Still needs sanding.
    [IMG]IMG_1571 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

There are a lot of pieces going on at once these days. It's hard to make the brain stop and be quiet.

Cheers,

Mike

Ok, not a lot of progress to report. The planned glue-up of the yard this past Sunday was sidelined by a bout of what I believe was food-poisoning. So, so unpleasant!

But, on the Monday evening previous, I did a small bronze pour out in the garage that turned out pretty well. I had been working on and refining a cleat pattern of my own design, and I made a flask and packed sand around the pattern halves on the Sunday before. Then, Monday after supper my son and I got my little electric furnace up to temp., melted some bronze, and poured. Sorry, no pix of the process.

But here are the results. First, the pattern halves and the finished cleat.
    [IMG]pattern +cleat by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then, on the left, my cleat, and on right, a deck cleat that I chopped the poor little feet off of and drilled so it could be my main halyard. I'm thinking that the one I cast might be for the mizzen halyard.
    [IMG]cleats by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here they are with their intended lines nearby.
    [IMG]halliard cleats by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

And I even "backed out" the base of the one for the main mast on a spindle-sander at work. May grind this base down a bit more in days to come, so I may re-do this, even though it's probably not necessary.
    [IMG]backed out? by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks for checking in!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Your spars look great. When I get to that point, I must pick your brain for advice. Where did you build them? (It doesn't look like your garage!) Keep up the great work.

Regards,

Dean

Wow, casting bronze - very salty.

Did you cast it in two halves, then join?

Kenny
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Hi Guys. Dean, feel free to ask anything about the spars. I've done two 12 footers now, and it's been pretty much drama-free.
    Kenny, the cleat was cast in one piece. The two halves of the pattern get sand packed around them each in its own wood frame, then the patterns are removed, frames clamped together so there's a hollow in the shape of the cleat, and bronze is poured in. Next time I do one, I'll try to document.

Speaking of spars, I did glue up the yard last weekend. I used a laser level along one side and a sharpie line on the table (drawn on masking tape) to keep everything straight. It went fine, and the next day, I knocked the corners off and was very careful about getting the octagonal spar tapered to the dimensions given by the designer. Then I scrubbed some artist's soft vine charcoal all over the 8 sided spar so I could see what I removed with the plane to make it 16-sided. Sorry no pix. It looked like it had zebra stripes running the length.

I did not go to 32 sides, but using plane and rasp, went from 16 sides to something approaching round, albeit somewhat faceted still. Then, I remembered a trick I must have learned here. A simple way to sand a spar. Here's a photo or two...

Dry-fit

[IMG]yard by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

The sanding tool...60 grit papebr />
    [IMG]sander by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sanding

[IMG]IMG_1597 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1598 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG1599 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

You may be able to see the closer bit is still faceted, while the far end is much rounder thanks to a few minutes with the magic scrap-wood sander.
    [IMG]IMG_1594 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

And, back at home, I've been making bits and bobs. Here is a fiber-board template of the mizzen mast partner. And the tracing onto some nice D.F.

[IMG]IMG_1591 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

The partner and a little strut to support it. Thanks to John H. for that nice touch.

[IMG]IMG_1592 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1600 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1601 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

The days are getting longer!!!

Mike

Good work, Mike. Great ideas there- the charcoal and the sander. I'll borrow them if you don't mind , when I make mine.

Our days are about to get shorter!

Cheers,
    Ian

Managed to cut the tenon on the heel of the mizzen mast this morning after opening a few presents.

Had to make the bevel 74 degrees like the partner.
    [IMG]bevel gauge by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]bevel gauge by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Same same...the step is oak about 1 and 1/8" thick and tomorrow I'll cut a 3/4" deep mortice to receive the tenon.
    [IMG]same bevel by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's the tenon
    [IMG]mizzen tenon by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]tenon by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]mizzen step by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

And here's what Santa left for the kiddo under the tree last night. Long live rock!
    [IMG]IMG_1607 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Merry Christmas to all and wishes for peace on earth.

Mike
    Last edited by Falcon1; 12-25-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: cropped out credit card DUH!

Mike - looks awesome. The bronze casting is great....I really enjoyed doing that also. Thanks for posting.

Your cleats are inspirational. I need to get back to the foundry soon.

I can barely make out your kiddo's shirt. Looks to be The Clash, London Calling. If so, good taste. Rock on!

Happy New Year everyone.

Seriously guys? No one thought to inform me that cutting a mortice into white oak might be "a bit of a chore?"

Not that bad actually, but I'm a wood butcher, so not very practiced. It's a good fit to the heel with a bit of slop. Swelling of mast and step on the mooring was not so good on my other boat!

Here's a pic.
    [IMG]step mortice by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers!

Mike

Just as well it was a bit of a chore.Its the toughness of the wood that you will be relying on to prevent a deadly split occurring.

True enough about the toughness. Thanks. I hope I don't have to re-make the step. I may need to though to get the recommended rake of 6 degrees.

I attached the partner after gluing little support struts on it and the step. Jorgensen hand screw type clamps were helpful.
    [IMG]miz part1 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looks pretty good dry-fit.
    [IMG]mizpart2 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here are both partner and step. Step is higher than designer has it on the plans in an effort to bring the rake closer to 6 deg. It's just propped there and stuck with tape for now. It's at about 9 deg. according to a digital angle-finer I borrowed from work. I won't attach the step permanently until I can get the boat out of the garage and try the real mizzen mast.
    [IMG]mizpart3 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Vivier's plans actually show the back of the mizzen mast shaved off and resting against the transom, which I may have to do.

Happy New Year, everyone!

MIke

Ok I was going to save these photos until there was more to show, but no time like the present. Last Saturday, My wife helped me in my workplace to cut and birdsmouth (v.?) the staves for the Ilur's mainmast.

I took a shot of the two 18 foot long 1x8 Douglas Fir planks lying on the outfeed table...

[IMG]1x8s by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

And about an hour and a half later she took a shot of a tired me with the fruits of our labors, a 17 foot canon...

[IMG]mainmst dryfit by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

The next day, I went in and started working on the tapers. My electric planer is acting funny, so I began free-handing the staves through the table-saw (carefully!)
    Had to stop after three, so I have five more to do, then plane them all even with one another, and I can do another dry-fit. My fingers are all crossed until then.
    Meanwhile, I've started getting quotes from sailmakers. Got to start saving my pennies!

Cheers, and Happy 2019 to all.

Mike

Perfectly good verb! Especially for a Falcon!

I'm not sure which thing to be the most impressed by...your workmanship, which looks very good; your out-feed table, which has half of us drooling; or the fact that you could find 17' long pieces of clear Douglas Fir. That's some nice looking stuff! Living in the PNW, and having a house built in 1908, I know exactly where I can find some. But I suspect my wife would not see the need to rip off pieces of 4" wide lap siding from the side of the house. No sense of humor I guess! But I digress...nice work!

Ken

Nice looking mast so far, Mike. Yes, tapering the staves is careful work.
    Ian

I'm going to do a multi-post walk through of the masthead arrangement that I did for the Ilur. It's what the designer shows on the plans and almost exactly how John H. made his. Thanks, John.
    I had a bit of a time figuring it out, so here's a step-by-step tour.

First, a shot of the plans M. Vivier drew, then a drawing that I did, trying to make sense of it all. I like drawing on graph paper.
    [IMG]tip design by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]tip drawing by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I made two "cheek" pieces and two spacer pieces. The cheek pieces were then routed to let in some marine ply reinforcement. I used 1/4" left from my previous build.

[IMG]begin tip by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is a dry fit of the assembly, with a 60 mm. sheave from R+W rope in New Bedford.

[IMG]tip dryfit by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

oops, out of order. Here are the cheeks with the ply reinforcement glued in.

[IMG]tip parts by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the glue-up.
    [IMG]tip glue by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Next, it was time to figure out a tenon of sorts that would fit into the hollow at the tip of the mast. Mine is about 5 1/2 inches long.
    [IMG]tip lines by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

The opening was 1 and 3/16" wide at the tip after beveling the tapers into the staves, so I made a squared circle on the bottom, then an octagon.
    [IMG]tip end by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I used a bandsaw and Japanese saw to remove material leaving a square section.

[IMG]tip by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I coated the end-grain of the spacers with lots of CPES. They drank it right up.

[IMG]CPES by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yesterday, using a sharp 1" chisel, I made the square an octagon at home. Today I shaved it to fit the opening at the top of the mast, and, using the table saw at work, made the top of the tip an octagon also.
    [IMG]final tip by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

You can see that I still have a bit of material to remove from the staves after glue-up. And here is a reminder to myself for when I'm doing that. The walls are plenty thick. At least 3/4" Don't worry Mike!
    [IMG]tip wall thickness by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

Cheers,

Mike