Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New toy

Default Re: New toy

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    I've known Agas on 40' sailing boats. Lotta hassle though. My inclination for you is to heat air with diesel, I'm sure there will be one big enough for central heating, and cook with gas.
    Wow, you'd need to position that correctly !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yep, mid-ships over the keel. The boat was 14 tonnes though....not exactly a rocket but 110 years old lugger none-the-less. Lovely dry heat, but wood/coal fired and hardly ever lit when underway; even then under engine only, and when it was you never felt protected enough from it. Great for winter parties up the river

I think they're too much faff, I've had an oil burning one with an adapter which was always burning it's copper innards (can't remember the name of the doodah) in a house, wood or coal ones too, which I liked but they burn a lot of fuel, take a lot of stoking, and in my opinion a cubic meter of blistering hot metal with a furnace waiting to drop it's contents into your bilge is not what you want inside a boat rolling around in a confused sea. That's just me though, there are those that think differently, and it works for them.

Artif, if I were you I'd keep it simple and reliable; if you have diesel already onboard, use that for heating. I've never had a Dickenson but I know many who have them and love them. Flame out switch, quiet, economic, safe, easy, no extra fuel needed.

Cook on either an Origo alcohol stove....which has the benefit of no pressurised gas, but the disadvantages of no oven; the hard-core amongst us would bake bread in a pressure cooker on top of it....(other disadvantage is that in the UK our fantastic bureaurocracy deems us far to stupid to trust us with de-natured alcohol without putting dye and poison in it and calling it metholated spirit, which personally make me retch at sea, but a trip per year across the channel and you can buy as much alcool a bruler as you like, wink wink cough cough etc...)

Or these little babies come up on ebay now and again for not much moolah... (Calor), but you'll need bottles on deck, locker, gas checks etc.

Personally, I'm going coal for heat from a small wood stove, and a weird victorian solid fuel boiler for hot water, so I'm putting in a coal bunker in my boat, hot water backed up by a calorifier from the engine, and an Origo alcohol stove for cooking.

I don't want to be boiled to death below decks if I want a bacon butty in the Carribean, so I'm separating air heat from cooking.

And I don't want water bubbling around a stove with all the pressure issues that entails, not having much headroom for a header tank (you may have), keeping me awake, when I don't want any hot water anyway, so I'm separating hot water from air heat. Many evenings I just want a "2 stoke fire' to take the chill off, without having to heat 50 litres of water first to feel it.

But all this is dependent on your vessel, your intended climate, your preferences, what you are prepared to put up with, and any existing systems or parts of systems you already have.

It's an interesting topic.

Don't use gas, unless it's a sealed combustion unit. in the UK. / Jim

I don't think an Aga will be any good for this boat, too big etc.
    There is a Webasto partially fitted but I've yet to try it out, but I really don't like them, overly complicated, unreliable and expensive to repair.
    We had a Turco oil fired boiler (similar to a Kabola but 1/5 of the price) on our last boat which ran the heating and water very well, which may be the way we go again, I would prefer a combi this time though. If we go down this route again, then we will go for another gas oven/hob.
    Having a wood burner on our last boat was a nice addition but became redundant when the boiler was installed, other than somewhere to dispose of all the wood waste etc.

Thanks for all your input, keep it coming...

A little update, in case you thought I wasn't putting all your good advice to some use.
    Deck Hatch in progress

The ladder is under construction also, pics to follow shortly..

Nice work. Keep it coming.

Been a while but I have been working on the old girl.
    Tore out a load of wiring and started fitting out the forward cabin.

Just picked up some oak knees for future use.
    A good friend who happens to be tree surgeon very kindly took his time cutting these out of tree he was cutting down.

My apprentice showing off one that I had rough cut down to thickness, just because I'm impatient and wanted to play with my axe.

Very nice!!!!!!!!! And a very capable apprentice as well.

Hi there,
    Just adding my best wishes for your project. I shall be watching your progress with interest. I am currently 'restoring' a Falmouth Pilot 24 (1962 vintage) Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusti Rodes View Post
    Hi there,
    Just adding my best wishes for your project. I shall be watching your progress with interest. I am currently 'restoring' a Falmouth Pilot 24 (1962 vintage) Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks
    Make sure you post up some pictures, I grew up on the Carrick roads.

Hi there, You can find my story on my thread ' I guess the saga starts here!' on this Building/Repair forum - Dusti
    Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    Thanks
    Make sure you post up some pictures, I grew up on the Carrick roads.

Making some sawdust today, with the help of a shy apprentice.
    The start of the raised coahroof over the fish hold, to give me some headroom and a sunbathing platform for SWMBO
    Some oak beams and bit of Larch for the fore n aft ends

A bit more work on some knees

Neighbours are happy too, as they have plenty of sawdust for the woodburner

A little update, in case you thought I wasn't putting all your good advice to some use.
    Deck Hatch in progress.
    That's looking very nice. Congratulations on your work -- and on having acquired what will be such a good-looking vessel.

By the way, Maurice Griffiths guaranteed that his hatch design would only leak when submerged. I don't imagine you'll be doing that to her, will you?

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    That's looking very nice. Congratulations on your work -- and on having acquired what will be such a good-looking vessel.

By the way, Maurice Griffiths guaranteed that his hatch design would only leak when submerged. I don't imagine you'll be doing that to her, will you?

Mike
    Thanks Mike, I hope I can do her justice.

I don't intend in getting the decks submerged but you never know. She is certainly built for it.

Another busy weekend

Cutting big lumps out of the deck

and filling them in again

Doesn't look like there's much heartwood in those knees?

TBH they were the smallest ones I had. Decided to start with them, to get a feel of how much useful wood I could get out of them, they'll certainly end up a lot lot smaller than their current size, when/if I find a use for them. Its really surprising how much wood needs to be removed to get something useful.
    The larger ones are the ones I really need, to replace some rotten knees on the boat, hopefully they will be big enough.

Doesn't look like there's much heartwood in those knees?

A bit more done this weekend.......

Forward deck hatch in place, just need to finish it off now.

Slowly cutting bits of the shelter deck off to get access to remove junk, but the weather has been awful so it will have to stay a bit longer yet

View from down below

Re: crooks. I tried locally (E. Anglia) for months to find knee material and gave up. These boys supplied me in the end. Sent them some patterns and received green crooks in the post, generous enough thickness to get two per crook in my case. Remember, they'll be green....

BTS, where you bought your crooks, sounds like a remarkably good little enterprise.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

I wish there had been a market in Australia, I tried to sell them years ago with no success.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

As not as little you say. Looks great!

Looks good as usual. What is the MPH for your engine you built?

Thinking of selling now, maybe.

Why? What has changed? Oil price?

Why? What has changed? Oil price?
    Oil price is no problem, those old Gardners sip fuel.

What has changed? It has gone from a family effort to a solo effort very quickly, we bought the boat with the intention of making it a family adventure/home.
    I can deal with the challenges of the boat easily enough, but dealing with the "Are you going to the boat this weekend" in pleading voice, every time, gets difficult. It's not like I'm even there every weekend anyhow. It seems my other half has lost all interest in it, I think she has only been on it three times, once to view it once to help clean it a bit and once when I dropped of some gear while travelling past it.
    Disappointing as we had been discussing if this was what we wanted for a couple of years.

Not all bad though, it means I'll have more time and money to go on sailing holidays on Leader and the like.

one door closes another opens

providing I can sell her.................

I'm going to continue with the work though, I really want to get that shelter deck off.

Re. oil price, was thinking that work might have been affected.

Tricksy. Maybe incorporate a fun weekend on the boat with the family? Easy for me to say, I've no kids, no girlfriend and can be as selfish as I like ATM, but just thinking that if you make it part of your family time, it could turn around...good luck whatever you decide.

I can completely understand your situation, ... and mine is on blocks only in the side yard.

Re. oil price, was thinking that work might have been affected.

Tricksy. Maybe incorporate a fun weekend on the boat with the family? Easy for me to say, I've no kids, no girlfriend and can be as selfish as I like ATM, but just thinking that if you make it part of your family time, it could turn around...good luck whatever you decide.
    Haha I get your drift on the oil price thing now. Work is good though, keeping me busy but enjoyable as well.

A bit of fun with the family would help I think, but the Humber isn't the most fun place to be, especially as nearly every time I've been there its pissing down or blowing a gale so far.

Yes you are in a very good situation, be careful there are traps lying in wait for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I can completely understand your situation, ... and mine is on blocks only in the side yard.
    If only I could put it on blocks next to the house, it would be perfect.

Nah, move the family to a warehouse on the docks. Much better, much cheaper...

Calmed down a bit now, but still not sure what we are going to do.

Some good news though, I picked up my new favourite tool today.
    Last edited by artif; 05-21-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Calmed down a bit now, but still not sure what we are going to do.

Some good news though, I picked up my new favourite tool today.
    Was going to say " Pictures or it did not happen" but I see that there is something that is not displaying.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Was going to say " Pictures or it did not happen" but I see that there is something that is not displaying.
    I've just tried another pic maybe it will work, possibly a bit big.

I've just tried another pic maybe it will work, possibly a bit big.
    You have me wondering too, 'can't see anything but a blue boxed "?"
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"