Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: New toy

Default Re: New toy

The pix starting at #113 puzzle me. Over here, we eschew red oak for exactly that behavior. And by the way "red oak" can often to the eye look just like white oak. Red has the long tubes that can by capillary action take up a lot of fluid, the thinner the better. I once started a drip into the end grain of a 15' long piece of red oak leaning against a house so we could pour from a second floor window. Took only two days to have a drip coming out the bottom.

I always thought that English oak was like our white oak. And a most suitable boat wood. But an uptake like that illustrated makes me wonder. Any wood techs here know what I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    The pix starting at #113 puzzle me. Over here, we eschew red oak for exactly that behavior. And by the way "red oak" can often to the eye look just like white oak. Red has the long tubes that can by capillary action take up a lot of fluid, the thinner the better. I once started a drip into the end grain of a 15' long piece of red oak leaning against a house so we could pour from a second floor window. Took only two days to have a drip coming out the bottom.

I always thought that English oak was like our white oak. And a most suitable boat wood. But an uptake like that illustrated makes me wonder. Any wood techs here know what I'm missing?
    apparently Dick Pulsifer will accept no substitutes, he soaks his red oak in a bucket of coopernoll before installing it in his famous Hamptons which are strip planked in pine... the red oak takes up much more coopernoll than the white.

I got some gorgeous white oak locally for Centennial the grain was so dense almost waxy and the wood was shiny when cut with the hand plane, gorgeous stuff.

TBH the real shipwrights I know will only use American white oak for interior work. English Oak is reserved for structural boat bits. The oak I tested was certainly English Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    TBH the real shipwrights I know will only use American white oak for interior work. English Oak is reserved for structural boat bits. The oak I tested was certainly English Oak.
    White oak... only for interior work? please explain... it is the wood of choice for framing and keels here in NE due to its natural rotresistence and long strength...

Just what they have told me. White oak isn't as durable as English / European Oak. I've heard the same from several different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post

http://www.wood-database.com/english-oak/ with pictures

http://www.wood-database.com/white-oak/

http://www.wood-database.com/red-oak/
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Just picked up this little project.......

Please excuse the shelterdeck but it does make good spot for working while fitting out down below

She has a wonderful Gardner 5L3
    Built in 1950 in Scalloway, Shetland Isles according to the internet.
    For a split second I thought briefly that it was MV Picton resurrected.

But I commend you on restoring her to what it should look like.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Thanks
    i think....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    For a split second I thought briefly that it was MV Picton resurrected.

But I commend you on restoring her to what it should look like.

Did some work, actually on the boat, for a change.

Prepped and glassed the coachroof, you'll have to excuse the patchy ply, but the cheap crap WBP wasn't so waterproof, and the thin top layer wrinkled up when it got damp. Should last a few years until I do the job properly.

Sliding deck hatch being dry fitted, needs a bit of minor tweaking to finish, but I'm pleased with it so far (hatch needs a finish coat of epoxy followed by varnish, in case you were wondering why the difference in appearance) .

and removing another tank to give me enough room for another bedroom down below. Had to cut this one in half to get it through the hatch this time (4mm s/s with internal baffles) the first cut with the grinder is always a tense moment, but I'm still here.

Looks great Artif. I'm just sitting here taking notes...
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Time to admit defeat.
    Spent 2k and all week working on the boat, cutting, sanding, glassing, painting and cleaning.
    Had the family on board for a couple of hours yesterday, SWMBO congratulated me for all the hard work with the comment "call me when its finished".
    She has absolutely no interest in living on board again.
    Oh well never mind back to Kites and SUPS, maybe a small Wharram is in my future.

Sorry to hear that Artif. I got the same message from my wife a decade ago. Still, lots of fun to be had on a boat like Incentive III even if you can't live aboard, no?
    - Chris

No point in keeping her, if were not living aboard. Time to sell

No point in keeping her, if were not living aboard. Time to sell
    Sorry to hear that but you have to do the right thing for your family and your situation. Speaking from experience I know that it's hard to let go of the dream for many reasons. But better to cut the cord now if it's not working. Best of luck selling Incentive and I hope you end up with a boat that is a better fit. Wharram cats seem like a lot of fun too.
    - Chris

Under offer already, back to a mundane life as a landlubber in a concrete box. Just need to off load the tools and the 40 year dream of life afloat is over.

Now sold.
    At a complete loss now, what the hell do I do next? Going to hide for a while.