Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: New toy

Default Re: New toy

Not much to show yet, I've just got a few support beams and door frames temporarily in position, to give me some dimensions to work to, when I'm back at the home workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by AthenaCAL View Post
    FABULOUS. Please post pics of what the cabin/inside looks like.

Nice site with laser scans of the hull, which is something I'd like to do with Incentive at some point.
    http://www.tradboats.ie/projects/south/ak-ilen/

Interesting. I've been thinking about ways to do that with less expensive hardware. Lots of people using Kinect cameras to do 3D scanning but the resolution isn't that great. Not enough for a large object like a boat hull for example. But I've done some work with the Zed stereo camera that is much higher resolution. It requires a lot of low-level GPU programming but I now have a bunch of code that I could repurpose from other projects. It wouldn't have nearly the same level of accuracy as the laser scanning setup of course, but for a tiny fraction of the cost I could get to within 1/2" or so I think. Probably never going to happen though. Too much else to do.
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

I was playing with Romer CMM arm with incorporated laser scanner last year, what an amazing tool.
    However the Leica T Scan 5 looks awesome http://metrology.leica-geosystems.co...News_CS_en.pdf

Just need to "borrow" one for a couple of days, perhaps persuade them to demo it.

As you say though, too many things to do for one lifetime.......

Oh I like that Leica setup a lot. Very nice! But yes. Too many projects. Not enough time.
    - Chris

Who wouldn't want a Riva and matching transporter?
    Came across this in the centre of Berlin, of all places, don't think I'll bother trying to get a similar standard of finish to the varnish on Incentive. Even under the lights, there were no flaws at all visible. Apologies for the poor phone pics.

That's lovely. I've never appreciated the whole mahogany runabout aesthetic though. It's all about the workboats for me. That Borgward Isabella on the other hand...
    - Chris

Time for an update, the cold (man flu) I got hit with 2 weeks ago is still making itself felt, but I got out in the shed today to finish screwing and gluing some doors together.
    While I was there I thought I would play with the glycol I got a couple of weeks back. It's intrigued me, since reading about it as a wood preservative.
    Though I would try some Larch and English Oak in it.
    Stated with a small piece of Oak weighing 52g and similar sized piece of Larch 48g

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Next pics are from the soaking period. Surprised me how quick the glycol was drawn through the timber.
    Half hour soak time.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Two hour soak time
    [IMG][/IMG]

I weighed the Larch after the soak and it came out at 50g, I left the oak to soak through further (results to follow later).

[IMG][/IMG]

I then cut the Larch in two, to see if the Glycol had permeated all the way through, which it had
    [IMG][/IMG]

So my conclusion is that Glycol does indeed soak through timber, and surprisingly (to me at least) quickly.
    How it will last as wood preservative is still open to debate but if the Glycol has taken up the space that would be normally occupied by water, then it can only be better (In my opinion obviously).

Next test is to see if it will soak in to the face of the timber as easily as the end grain.Need to devise a way of testing it though.

Popcorn at the ready

Very useful info artif. Thanks for performing that experiment!
    - Chris

Use food colouring to make it really easy to see.
    Cut across the grain to check soak up?
    James

I used glycol in a lapstrake boat once. My unscientific observation was that it all leached out on the next launch. I'd suggest submerging the test sample in water for a few hours and see what happens.
    -Dave

Well after 24hours of soaking the Oak it has just about soaked right through.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Weighed at 54g
    [IMG][/IMG]

I cut through the sample about a 1/4" from the top end, which shows that the glycol had soaked right through.
    [IMG][/IMG]

And here's a pic of the aforementioned doors with the first topcoat going on.
    [IMG][/IMG]

James, there are a couple of pictures showing the samples cut through, not that clear to see the soak up but looking at them it is quite clear that the Glycol has soaked right through. I did soak some oak knees in Propylene glycol (blue anti freeze) and you could see the blue dye right through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesh View Post
    Use food colouring to make it really easy to see.
    Cut across the grain to check soak up?
    James

Dave I will try soaking them in water later. I'm interested in what makes you think the Glycol leached out, was the wood coated at all (paint/varnish etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I used glycol in a lapstrake boat once. My unscientific observation was that it all leached out on the next launch. I'd suggest submerging the test sample in water for a few hours and see what happens.

The wood was not coated. My main concern was the keelson and the garboard planks. This was an old boat that was becoming increasingly leaky since I dry sailed it off a trailer. My theory was that the glycol would serve two purposes. It would keep the rot out, and also swell the wood and keep the bottom tight when the boat was out of the water. Glycol doesn't evaporate. But on first launching after the treatment -- which had more than ample time to soak in (this was years ago, but I think it was a couple of weeks if not more) I did get some seepage although I don't think as much as it had been, but the incoming lake water was clearly a strong dilution of the glycol. After a couple more uses, I couldn't see any indication that there was anything left in the wood. But again, I wasn't taking core samples of my keelson, just making a casual but disappointing observation.
    -Dave

Thanks Dave. Seems that we had the same reasoning for the glycol i.e stabilizing the wood and keeping the water out.
    Clearly further testing is required, I'll give the sample a while to settle down and try soaking in water, let them dry and see what the weights are again.

The wood was not coated. My main concern was the keelson and the garboard planks. This was an old boat that was becoming increasingly leaky since I dry sailed it off a trailer. My theory was that the glycol would serve two purposes. It would keep the rot out, and also swell the wood and keep the bottom tight when the boat was out of the water. Glycol doesn't evaporate. But on first launching after the treatment -- which had more than ample time to soak in (this was years ago, but I think it was a couple of weeks if not more) I did get some seepage although I don't think as much as it had been, but the incoming lake water was clearly a strong dilution of the glycol. After a couple more uses, I couldn't see any indication that there was anything left in the wood. But again, I wasn't taking core samples of my keelson, just making a casual but disappointing observation.

Artif, any photos of the door construction? Rail-and-stile? At some point I'm going to have to build a couple of doors for Petrel just like those so I'm interested in seeing any examples.
    - Chris

Pretty boring, just motice and tenon jointed, then glued and screwed. The frames are just local construction suppliers softwood 4x2 and the panel was bit of 3/8" ply i had kicking about, hence no construction pictures. I want to paint the interior as much as possible to make it a bit brighter down below, its also quicker to finish and keeps construction costs down. Water based paint allowed 2 coats of undercoat and first coat of gloss in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    Pretty boring, just motice and tenon jointed, then glued and screwed. The frames are just local construction suppliers softwood 4x2 and the panel was bit of 3/8" ply i had kicking about, hence no construction pictures. I want to paint the interior as much as possible to make it a bit brighter down below, its also quicker to finish and keeps construction costs down. Water based paint allowed 2 coats of undercoat and first coat of gloss in one day.
    You make it sound easy. Guess I'll find out for myself soon enough! Thanks.
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    You make it sound easy. Guess I'll find out for myself soon enough! Thanks.
    Nothing too difficult with it, tenons were cut with a hand saw and the Mortices marked from the tenons, drill out as much as possible and clean up with a chisel.

Glycol doesn't evaporate.
    Take a look at this: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...e)-evaporation

Especially take a look at post #12, which seems the best informed. It seems glycol does evaporate, albeit very slowly.

Artif, a photo of Incentive II (BA327) popped up in my Facebook feed today, courtesy of the West Coast Fishing Boats group. So I then spent an hour or so surfing photos of old Scottish trawlers, including a few of your boat. I assume you've seen this painting by Steve Farrow?

From: http://www.trawlerpictures.net/galle...aid-of-honour/

Such a great boat you have. I'm looking forward to seeing her resurrected. In time of course. No pressure!

Cheers,
    - Chris

Thanks Chris
    That is a great painting and I have a copy on my office wall.
    I have been anti facebook for quite some time but its been a great source of pictures and information on Incentive III, a page was set up recently for Wooden boats built in the Shetlads which has been great.
    The pictures of her with the original wheelhouse have convinced me that she needs something similar (later)

I was anti-Facebook too for years. Only thing I ever did was write apps for it for various clients. Last thing I needed was another technology platform in my personal life. But then I discovered that there are wooden boats on Facebook and now I've been sucked in. And I've been following your page as well.

Re: wheelhouse. Yes, one thing at a time for sure.
    - Chris

I was anti-Facebook too for years. Only thing I ever did was write apps for it for various clients. Last thing I needed was another technology platform in my personal life. But then I discovered that there are wooden boats on Facebook and now I've been sucked in. And I've been following your page as well.

Re: wheelhouse. Yes, one thing at a time for sure.

I went the opposite way. I had facebook as well as many others in my life. One day, I realized I had spent over 12 hours responding to messages on social media. After that, I left all social media, except a few forums that I actively partake in. I have since figured out where all my free time went, and I have been building a small workshop to utilize the time I regained.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

And yet here we are!

I agree though. I'm working to reduce my time online. I get enough of that in my day job (which I'm slacking on at the moment).
    - Chris

And yet here we are!

I agree though. I'm working to reduce my time online. I get enough of that in my day job (which I'm slacking on at the moment).

http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

I get to spend a lot of time in airports and hotels kicking my heels dreaming of boats, so rather than waste valuable boat funds in the bar I spend time online.

I get to spend a lot of time in airports and hotels kicking my heels dreaming of boats, so rather than waste valuable boat funds in the bar I spend time online.
    I remember doing that when I was younger and traveling a lot for business. But we didn't have wi-fi back then. Or mobile phones with web browsers. We barely had laptops... Sheesh. I just realized that I'm getting old! Never occurred to me before. Oh well. Had to happen sometime I guess.
    - Chris

Deck hatch nearing completion, and despite my dislike of the stuff, I have sheathed it in glass and goop, just needs a few more coats of varnish to finish. I'm trying to keep the varnish to easily removable bits. Please excuse the dust covering it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pretty! And is that sunshine you are having? Must be nice...
    - Chris

Thank. We're having an unusual warm spell for a day or two, i think we will be paying for later in the week though.
    Pretty! And is that sunshine you are having? Must be nice...