Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Planer advice... 13" Dewalt vs 13" Rigid

I have been contemplating getting a planer and joiner the past few months and recently saw the new 13 inch Rigid model with a steel stand for $349 at Home Depot. This is a hefty tool and seems to be a lot of tool for the money, IF it stands up and does a good job.

I have mostly been considering the Dewalt 735. Has anyone had a chance to use this planer or does anyone have any pertinent info on the quality of the Home Depot Rigid power tools like this. I still have not been able to find out where their tools are made.

Any recommendations on planers in the price range of around $500 or less (and also joiners) are welcomed.

RB

[ 12-20-2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: RodB ]

I have been contemplating getting a planer and joiner the past few months and recently saw the new 13 inch Rigid model with a steel stand for $349 at Home Depot. This is a hefty tool and seems to be a lot of tool for the money, IF it stands up and does a good job.

I have mostly been considering the Dewalt 735. Has anyone had a chance to use this planer or does anyone have any pertinent info on the quality of the Home Depot Rigid power tools like this. I still have not been able to find out where their tools are made.

Any recommendations on planers in the price range of around $500 or less (and also joiners) are welcomed.

RB

RB

I have the Dewalt and could not be happier. My neighbor has a 12in Delta. I think it's a piece of crap.
    Sure I spent more money on the 13in Dewalt. The Dewalt has a seperate motor just to blow chips and man does it blow them if the deflector is not on.
    With the feed slowed down and the knife speed up this baby will polish the wood.

I have built a special stand with a drop down In & Outfeed table. With this design I can roll it out on the driveway and it doesn't matter if the driveway is uneven. I just blow the chips in the yard.

[ 10-21-2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: warthog5 ]

I have the Dewalt and could not be happier. My neighbor has a 12in Delta. I think it's a piece of crap.
    Sure I spent more money on the 13in Dewalt. The Dewalt has a seperate motor just to blow chips and man does it blow them if the deflector is not on.
    With the feed slowed down and the knife speed up this baby will polish the wood.

I have built a special stand with a drop down In & Outfeed table. With this design I can roll it out on the driveway and it doesn't matter if the driveway is uneven. I just blow the chips in the yard.

In issue #160 of Fine Woodworking they reviewed these planers, so you might want dig up that issue. It's the "Tools & Shops" issue from the winter of 2002-2003...

I took a quick look and both the Rigid and Dewalt were giving good reviews for planers in their price class. The reviewer seemed to like the new Delta and the Makita the best, but they are more expensive...

In issue #160 of Fine Woodworking they reviewed these planers, so you might want dig up that issue. It's the "Tools & Shops" issue from the winter of 2002-2003...

I took a quick look and both the Rigid and Dewalt were giving good reviews for planers in their price class. The reviewer seemed to like the new Delta and the Makita the best, but they are more expensive...

Don't know about planers, but I keep reading how name brand tools are being built overseas and/or by companies that bought the name and aren't necessarily the same quality as they once were, when their reputations got started. In my book DeWalt has a much better reputation than Rigid, in general at least.

Don't know about planers, but I keep reading how name brand tools are being built overseas and/or by companies that bought the name and aren't necessarily the same quality as they once were, when their reputations got started. In my book DeWalt has a much better reputation than Rigid, in general at least.

Hey Warthog, thanks for the photos and the idea for a great cabinet for the planer. I have saved the pix for my files.

I just happened to get a look at that new Dewalt today and I think it looks significantly beefier than their past model plus it has three blades now. Without seeing it run I must say the construction and overall looks were impressive. The cost was $500 at Woodcraft, perhaps cheaper on line. The Rigid was only $350....

I will try to look at the review mentioned but I would not pay more than $500 so the others would be ruled out for that reason.

RB

RB

[ 10-22-2004, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: RodB ]

Hey Warthog, thanks for the photos and the idea for a great cabinet for the planer. I have saved the pix for my files.

I just happened to get a look at that new Dewalt today and I think it looks significantly beefier than their past model plus it has three blades now. Without seeing it run I must say the construction and overall looks were impressive. The cost was $500 at Woodcraft, perhaps cheaper on line. The Rigid was only $350....

I will try to look at the review mentioned but I would not pay more than $500 so the others would be ruled out for that reason.

RB

RB

RB

RB

Hmmm...I'm not sure what's going on because these are some prices I am finding online. It looks like Delta has found ways to reduce the price on their planer, hopefully not by cutting quality! All of the prices below are from Amazon except the Rigid which I priced at Home Depot's website:

Delta 22-580 13" Two-Speed Finishing Planer: $302.49 (after $30 mail-in rebate)

DeWalt DW734 Heavy Duty 12-1/2" Thickness Planer with 3-Knife Cutter Head: $379.99 (note: the Fine Woodworking article reviewed the DW733, which I suspect has been replaced by the 735 and 735.)

DeWalt DW735 13" Thickness Planer: $499.00

Rigid 13 In. Thickness Planer Model TP1300LS (this price is from Home Depot): $349.00

Makita 2012NB 12" Portable Planer Kit: $449.99

What the article might also help you do is figure out what features are most important to you and which planers have them. For example, one feature used to rate the planers in the article was the dust collection port size, which may not matter that much if you do not have a dust collection system.

P.S. I've got an older Delta benchtop and the new Delta benchtop planer is definitely better than what I've got, as are most of the other good benchtop planers out there now, based on what I've seen. I wonder if Warthog's neighbor has one of the older ones like me.

Hmmm...I'm not sure what's going on because these are some prices I am finding online. It looks like Delta has found ways to reduce the price on their planer, hopefully not by cutting quality! All of the prices below are from Amazon except the Rigid which I priced at Home Depot's website:

DeWalt DW734 Heavy Duty 12-1/2" Thickness Planer with 3-Knife Cutter Head: $379.99 (note: the Fine Woodworking article reviewed the DW733, which I suspect has been replaced by the 735 and 735.)

Rigid 13 In. Thickness Planer Model TP1300LS (this price is from Home Depot): $349.00

What the article might also help you do is figure out what features are most important to you and which planers have them. For example, one feature used to rate the planers in the article was the dust collection port size, which may not matter that much if you do not have a dust collection system.

P.S. I've got an older Delta benchtop and the new Delta benchtop planer is definitely better than what I've got, as are most of the other good benchtop planers out there now, based on what I've seen. I wonder if Warthog's neighbor has one of the older ones like me.

The DeWalt 735 that warthog5 has seems to be regarded as the best benchtop planer currently available. It gets rave reviews from users and magazine folks alike.

Rigid tools in general don't have a stellar reputation with the exception of the planer. The Rigid TP1300LS seems to consistently get very good marks for the job it does, how quiet it is and how fast it is to change out blades.

If money's no object, the DeWalt seems to be the machine to get but the Rigid appears to be a very good machine and pretty amazing value.

The DeWalt 735 that warthog5 has seems to be regarded as the best benchtop planer currently available. It gets rave reviews from users and magazine folks alike.

Rigid tools in general don't have a stellar reputation with the exception of the planer. The Rigid TP1300LS seems to consistently get very good marks for the job it does, how quiet it is and how fast it is to change out blades.

If money's no object, the DeWalt seems to be the machine to get but the Rigid appears to be a very good machine and pretty amazing value.

If you want to buy an American made Planer:

http://www.woodmastertools.com/

Quite the piece of equipment.

--T

--T

--T

for what it's worth, I can attest that the Delta 22-580 13" Two-Speed Finishing Planer is a very nice machine. I have put all kinds of hard and softwoods through it and it has handled everything with ease. Blade changes are easy. The only drawback I can see is that it's heavy.

I don't think that the Rigid vs. DeWalt comparison/choice is useful. You're basically trying to choose between two different animals. A more useful comparison would be to decide how much you can spend and then find models in that price range to compare to each other. Rigid vs. Delta 22-580 for example.

for what it's worth, I can attest that the Delta 22-580 13" Two-Speed Finishing Planer is a very nice machine. I have put all kinds of hard and softwoods through it and it has handled everything with ease. Blade changes are easy. The only drawback I can see is that it's heavy.

I don't think that the Rigid vs. DeWalt comparison/choice is useful. You're basically trying to choose between two different animals. A more useful comparison would be to decide how much you can spend and then find models in that price range to compare to each other. Rigid vs. Delta 22-580 for example.

QUOTE: I wonder if Warthog's neighbor has one of the older ones like me.

I'm sure it is. There are 2 problems with his. The boards do not feed right and he has tried to clean the feed rollers, still no good. The other problem is the chips don't clear the machine and that cause's problems with the wood finish.

Now remember when you buy something.
    Quality is loooong remembered after the cost is forgotten.

I'm sure it is. There are 2 problems with his. The boards do not feed right and he has tried to clean the feed rollers, still no good. The other problem is the chips don't clear the machine and that cause's problems with the wood finish.

Hey Doug, I was thinking almost the same in my analysis just from looking at the machines.

I just needed a decent thickness planer and happen to see the Rigid while shopping. I have seen that Home Depot has been developing an entire line of tools which may or may not be quality built??? I figured the Dewalt would be a solid machine to compare a new entry to as a base line. I have used an older Dewalt on a couple of occasions and found it to be a good tool. The Rigid seemed to be a solid machine at a decent price and I thought someone may have bought one already and/or some reviews may be brought up.

I found some reviews (consumer related) on planers mostly from individuals who had recently bought a particular model. One guy had been using the Dewalt 735 and had a mechanical problem (I can't remember the exact nature of the problem but it was a major component that had to be replaced) and he said the DEWALT repair said that they had several others returned to be repaired for the same problem.

I was impressed with the DW735 but this kind of problem gives one pause...however, I am sure Dewalt will remedy the situation.

RB

[ 10-22-2004, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: RodB ]

Hey Doug, I was thinking almost the same in my analysis just from looking at the machines.

I just needed a decent thickness planer and happen to see the Rigid while shopping. I have seen that Home Depot has been developing an entire line of tools which may or may not be quality built??? I figured the Dewalt would be a solid machine to compare a new entry to as a base line. I have used an older Dewalt on a couple of occasions and found it to be a good tool. The Rigid seemed to be a solid machine at a decent price and I thought someone may have bought one already and/or some reviews may be brought up.

I found some reviews (consumer related) on planers mostly from individuals who had recently bought a particular model. One guy had been using the Dewalt 735 and had a mechanical problem (I can't remember the exact nature of the problem but it was a major component that had to be replaced) and he said the DEWALT repair said that they had several others returned to be repaired for the same problem.

I was impressed with the DW735 but this kind of problem gives one pause...however, I am sure Dewalt will remedy the situation.

RB

RB

I shopped planers intensively about six months ago and went with the Dewalt 734. Used it this morning on the mahogany for the keel as a matter of fact. Absolutely meets or exceeds my expectations. Just to show I'm fair, I just bought an RO sander, but the nod went to Ridgid for that acquisition.

JD

I shopped planers intensively about six months ago and went with the Dewalt 734. Used it this morning on the mahogany for the keel as a matter of fact. Absolutely meets or exceeds my expectations. Just to show I'm fair, I just bought an RO sander, but the nod went to Ridgid for that acquisition.

JD

JD

Rod - if you want to get a LOT more comments/opinions regarding planers, you may want to head over to the Knots forum on the FWW site...
    link

You can do a search (benchtop planers, thickness planers, DeWalt etc., etc.) that will likely bring up a ton of threads on the subject.

Rod - if you want to get a LOT more comments/opinions regarding planers, you may want to head over to the Knots forum on the FWW site...
    link

You can do a search (benchtop planers, thickness planers, DeWalt etc., etc.) that will likely bring up a ton of threads on the subject.

link

Originally posted by warthog5:

Actually, my Delta thickness planer has neither of those issues. The boards feed very cleanly and the chips clear just fine. The big complaint I've got with my thickness planer is excessive end snipe. My planer does not have a cutterhead lock, which most of the new ones do have.

Actually, my Delta thickness planer has neither of those issues. The boards feed very cleanly and the chips clear just fine. The big complaint I've got with my thickness planer is excessive end snipe. My planer does not have a cutterhead lock, which most of the new ones do have.

Originally posted by RodB:

RB
    I find this sort of issue very hard to get a handle on. Naturally someone who got a machine that had a problem is much more likely to post a bad review than someone who got a machine and is happy with it is likely to take the time to post a good review. It also seems fair to assume that any maker will not be perfect so some bad machines will make it onto the market. With what the repair place said you are left wondering if they saw 5 machines with this problem out of 50 sold in the market served by that repair center (a pretty bad problem rate) or 5 with that problem out of 5000 sold in the area served by that repair center (a pretty minor error rate). So, I am never quite sure what to do with this sort of information. One does hope that the maker will take note of the problem and do something about it.

What worries me more is when I hear about the same sorts of issues from multiple sources, such as the repeated recent stories I have heard from multiple sources about increasing problems with Delta's big stationary power tools.

RB
    I find this sort of issue very hard to get a handle on. Naturally someone who got a machine that had a problem is much more likely to post a bad review than someone who got a machine and is happy with it is likely to take the time to post a good review. It also seems fair to assume that any maker will not be perfect so some bad machines will make it onto the market. With what the repair place said you are left wondering if they saw 5 machines with this problem out of 50 sold in the market served by that repair center (a pretty bad problem rate) or 5 with that problem out of 5000 sold in the area served by that repair center (a pretty minor error rate). So, I am never quite sure what to do with this sort of information. One does hope that the maker will take note of the problem and do something about it.

What worries me more is when I hear about the same sorts of issues from multiple sources, such as the repeated recent stories I have heard from multiple sources about increasing problems with Delta's big stationary power tools.

RB

I wanted the Dewalt 2 speed, but ran across the Delta 22-580 for $325 after rebate and couldn't pass it up. I am very pleased with it to date. It has mostly seen P-heart and highly figured maple but less than 50 BDFT so far... time will of course tell the whole story.

Warthog
    Nice cabinet!

Darren

I wanted the Dewalt 2 speed, but ran across the Delta 22-580 for $325 after rebate and couldn't pass it up. I am very pleased with it to date. It has mostly seen P-heart and highly figured maple but less than 50 BDFT so far... time will of course tell the whole story.

Warthog
    Nice cabinet!

Darren

Warthog
    Nice cabinet!

Darren

If money were no object (and it always is..)

I'd get this: Powermatic

The spiral cutter head has the cleanest cut. It just shaves it way through stock instead of slapping at it..
    Got to play with one...

Come on Powerball...

Bob

If money were no object (and it always is..)

I'd get this: Powermatic

The spiral cutter head has the cleanest cut. It just shaves it way through stock instead of slapping at it..
    Got to play with one...

Come on Powerball...

Bob