Thread: Netflix

Lightbulb Netflix

Given all the great sea films in another thread I was considering getting Netflix.

Sounds less expensive than the cinema and you can watch what film you want when you want.

Anyone on here use/subscribe to it? If so do you recommend it?

Netflix raises the price of its most popular plan by $1

USA TODAY NETWORKUSA TODAY12:43 p.m. EDT October 9, 2015

The cost of subscribing to Netflix is going up once again. Remember when it used to cost $7.99? Then it increased to $8.99 last year, and now the Standard plan price is rising once more to $9.99.USA TODAY

(Photo: Elise Amendola, AP)

2160CONNECT
    72TWEET 6LINKEDIN
    21COMMENTEMAILMORE

Your Netflix and chill just got a little more expensive.
    The popular streaming provider announced Thursday that it has raised the price of its most popular plan by $1, from $8.99 to $9.99 a month.
    Longtime subscribers may remember that Netflix raised the same plan by $1, from $7.99 to $8.99, in May 2014. (#TBT the Netflix of 2014, in all its Titanic and Eternal Sunshine glory.)
    The plan that's affected allows for two simultaneous streams for each customer and includes HD. (The two other services, at $11.99 for four screens and HD, and $7.99 for a one-screen standard definition plan, remain the same.) If you're an existing subscriber, you'll keep their current plan price for another year.
    Customers may gripe, but shareholders can't be complaining. Netflix (NFLX) closed up more than 6% with the announcement Thursday.
    The Los Gatos, Calif.-based company's stock hit a high of $115.05, up 12% from its intraday low, before closing at $114.93.
    "To continue adding more TV shows and movies including many Netflix original titles, we are modestly raising the price for some new members in the U.S., Canada and Latin America," Netflix said in a statement. "As a thank you to existing Netflix members — who aren't already benefiting from grandfathering — we will maintain their current price for a year."
    Netflix raised the subscription price in Europe by 1 Euro. With more than 69 million global subscribers, the price increase could increase the streaming leader's revenue by more than $800 million annually.
    That funding is needed to allow the company to continue its aggressive original programming plans and acquisition of other films and TV content for subscribers. Netflix expects to spend $5 billion on original and acquired content next year, and research firm Ampere Analysis expects that to grow to $6 billion by 2018.

The original version of this article was written by Mike Snider for the USA TODAY blog America's Markets.
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

Default Re: Netflix

I watch it on my Roku box.
    Watched a great documentary about 2 surfers in their 40's last night.
    I'm watching less and less "regular" TV.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Since I don't know the first thing about "streaming" I guess Netflix is out for me....
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Cut my cable 4 months ago because I realized we hadn't used it in over 6 months. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBONow for a total of about $20 less than I was paying for cable TV. It's hard to count the Amazon account in there though, we don't watch much of it, but we more than get our moneys worth out of the free 2 day shipping. Honestly, I'm happier for it, and I really don't see us ever going back. The main people who would hate it are those who like sports, it's hard to beat the ESPN package on cable.

The main problem with Netflix, is that you'll get used to watching shows with no commercials, when you want to, and an entire series of seasons in a row. It doesn't take too long before you can't even watch broadcast TV anymore, between commercials and having to wait for scheduling to record something, it's just an annoyance in the middle of a story you're trying to enjoy.

There is a sorts channel/subscription that you can get.
    A sports mad friend of mine has it, very inexpensive.
    Will have to ask him the name.
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth1 View Post
    I use netflix every day. It's worth the $$$
    you can share the Netflix account with a few devices.... If you feel comfortable with another user... You might be able to share it cutting the cost in half.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Since I don't know the first thing about "streaming" I guess Netflix is out for me....
    You don't have to know anything. If you have broadband, and a computer less than 5 years old, just go to Netflix.com

Or, broadband and a WiFi router plus a smartphone and a TV with an empty HDMI port. You can plug a $35 Chrome cast into the TV and tune in Netflix with your phone. S'cool!

Netflix is really not all that good, for movies.... but it's excellent for documentaries. I don't know anything about Hulu, but I'm told it's good for movies.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

We watch a movie every night nowadays, almost always on Netflix, occasionally on Graboid. On Netflix just hit play and you're up and running. On Graboid, where there's a wider selection than on Netflix Canada, we need to download ahead of time.

No complaints at all about Netflix, but sometimes Graboid movies are very poor quality, or they won't even play, and Graboid limits the MB per month.

Also, we're just about to investigate https://www.knowledge.ca/programs/watch-now

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I also use Netflix via ROKU. I binge watch half the summer.

I watch Netflix a lot these days for shows like Star Trek and documentaries. But I think I spend more time on Youtube. There are a lot of History Channel and Discovery Channel type stuff there. And also a lot of BBC shows.

I just learned of the existence of "Pureflix" today.
    Will

I watched this last night and enjoyed it.
    Thirty-four years after his death, irman William H. Pitsenbarger Jr. is awarded the Medal of Honor for his service and actions on the battlefield.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8zI2sytEc
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

A firestick will give you access to a lot of different services.

Netlix seems to have a pretty poor selection. Things worth watch are generally fee based elsewhere (e.g.: Amazon).

Hulu is good. Was watching “Along” about people left on the coast of Vancouver island to see how long they could last. There were so many commercials, and they were so long, I finally abandoned the effort.

Ya don't have to know nuttin.. Just own a screen of some sort, Ie. computer, smart tv etc. Have an internet connection. Also, possess a credit card.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

What ever happened to Rum Pirate?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Yeah, I miss ol' RP. Did he get kicked out, or did he leave voluntarily? I hope he's OK, in these bizarre times.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I searched for a bunch of movies I wanted to watch on Netflix. The response was always a page of movies similar to what I wanted- but never the movies I was actually looking for. I'll just keep finding stuff on Youtube. JayInOz

Watched a number of episodes of Titans, one of those Marvel comic series. No real story worth anything and basically just a blood and gore fest with no redeeming features.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Just watched a good-natured film, about a mob of chanty-singing Cornish lobstermen who get a top-10 hit.

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

We enjoy watching things on Netflix. It’s worth it.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch