Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: 1941 Snipe

Default Re: 1941 Snipe

thumbnail (7).jpgthumbnail (5).jpgWell, I must say I'm surprised at how light this mast is. Took about 10 minutes to get it all rigged up. The rope sewn on the luff of the sail got bound up a few times while routing up through the slot in the sail, nothing too bad.

...So Gizmojoe. Your pictures today are a real a blast from the past! It's interesting how high off the deck your boom appears to be. Mine is much lower. Higher like yours would be better! Is the foot or your sail attached to your boom with slides and a track, or rope and a slot? One of my booms is slotted, and the other one has tracks--so I guess either way is period correct.

I discovered that a local lumberyard was able to mill 1/2" X 3.5" X16' shiplap cedar boards that were an exact match to my original decking. I needed to replace only a few boards, but could have easily (and fairly inexpensively) re-decked the whole boat. Going that route might be an option for you. For my green and white snipe, I removed the original canvass and varnished the cedar decking underneath. I'm pleased how it turned out, but it is, of course, not completely waterproof. The blue replica snipe has replacement canvass over the repaired original cedar decking.

With the mast stepped and the sails up, you look just about ready for launch!

Jim

The boom attaches to a track on the mast so there is about 16 inches of adjustment. I had it all the way up. Boom and mast both have the slot. I think I'm going to put canvas on my deck. I think Off White with just the minimal bronze hardware will look good. Speaking of Bronze I have sticker shock at the cost of it!

Snipe booms are very high. They almost look stupid, but it is a “feature.”
    When you have finished everything, find the girl a new dress. As I said earlier, the Snipe racing class has Sails that aren’t “fast enough” anymore but which have years of wear left in them.
    She shouldn’t have to wear rags in public. She deserves better.
    Oh, and she will go faster and point higher too.
    SHC

I see pictures of modern snipes with their high booms, but always thought older snipes like mine had booms much closer to the deck. As you can see from the picture, my boom is low (and annoying):

IMG_0447.jpg

I may have the hardware needed in my spare parts stash, to attach my boom on an adjustable track. I'll have to look into doing that. Sailing would be more enjoyable with a higher boom.

I think there are places that specialize in professionally conserving classic cotton sails that have become yellow and stained with age. I have original (unrestored) cotton sails also. What's pictured is a modern sail not associated with my boat. My boat should probably have a number in the lower 3000's.

Jim
    Last edited by Dunphy Snipe; 04-13-2019 at 03:29 PM.

SHC, I put the sails on the list. Do newer sails have the rope sewn into the sail or sail slugs?
    Boat looks good Jim!

I have several sets of "newer" sails, and they have the sewn-in rope for a slotted mast. You should be able to pick up used sails in good condition at a very reasonable price. Competitive racers change out sails quite regularly. I purchased two sets of used sails from John Rose's son.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dunphy Snipe View Post
    I see pictures of modern snipes with their high booms, but always thought older snipes like mine had booms much closer to the deck. As you can see from the picture, my boom is low (and annoying):

IMG_0447.jpg

I may have the hardware needed in my spare parts stash, to attach my boom on an adjustable track. I'll have to look into doing that. Sailing would be more enjoyable with a higher boom.

I think there are places that specialize in professionally conserving classic cotton sails that have become yellow and stained with age. I have original (unrestored) cotton sails also. What's pictured is a modern sail not associated with my boat. My boat should probably have a number in the lower 3000's.

Jim
    Looks like there are 10” or so more hoist available. Any reason for not pulling the mainsail all the way to the top of the mast? You ought to be able to. Move the gooseneck up if you have to.
    SHC

The gooseneck is fixed, and is about as high as it can go without removing some of the "slot" for attaching the sail. I thought about raising the step somehow, or maybe extending the mast a bit below the deck. Removing some of the slot would probably be easiest (but more of a permanent modification), and as mentioned, I do have the track and hardware to make my boom height adjustable like Gizmojoe"s set up.

Do you think my current boom height is period correct? My green and white boat (pictured) was probably built somewhere around 1936-39--the replica, I'm still working on, is maybe a few years newer. I haven't stepped the mast yet in the replica boat. Thanks.

Jim

Snipe Class Rules.
    Should clarify
    http://www.sailing.org/tools/documen...5B23628%5D.pdf

SHC

Thanks SHClark. I haven't had occasion to look at the official Snipe Class rules for awhile. Every little detail is pretty much covered. An enterprising builder isn't left with a whole lot of discretion.

I think Crosby's original vision was for his new Snipe at 15' 6" to appeal to home builders because 16' planks were readily available. There are certainly a lot of hoops to jump through now. There is obviously more involved these days than just picking up a few 16' planks and starting in.

Jim

On the contrary, measurement tolerances, which were generous to assure home builders success at completing a class legal boat, lead to extensive “development” within the limits of those tolerances. “Breakthrough” designs etc, all so contrary to the one design philosophy that many started calling these classes that allowed variances within tolerance, and freedom in sail shape Development Classes.
    SHC