Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1941 Snipe

Default Re: 1941 Snipe

This is one of those projects that makes everyone watching it progress feel good!
    I may sound like a recording but. West System G/flex is designed to glue difficult woods. I seem to recall that oak is specifically mentioned in their description of the product.
    Jay

Finally got the boat into a dry, heated workshop.

That's great! I look forward to your progress.

Long live the Snipe Class!
    Jay

I'm watching with renewed interest. An old friend of mine is a Snipe racer, and I got to see her at the Nationals this summer. Those little guys really fly!

Oddly enough, I'm headed to Pass Christian, MS (home of the first Snipe) this spring for a wedding.

Kenny
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

You are putting a lot of pressure on me Minuteman as my last post was 14 months ago! I'll try not to disappoint. here's one of the wood blocks the chain plates mount to. So far I replaced both of these, about 4 intermediate frames, 2 frames and 4 floor pieces (that connect frames or intermediate frames together.) Plus the keel and the knee at the transom.

Reusing as many of the deck beams as I can. According to the original 1931 plans the deck beams should have 1 1/2 inches of crown over 5 feet. Mine has approx. 5 1/5 inches over 5 feet.
    I think it looks a little nicer than the flatter deck. I filled some of the holes with epoxy now i'm using wood glue with small pieces of wood tapped into the old screw holes.

Picture of my Grandmother (Nana) on Cape Cod circa 1955 ish. Is she next to a Snipe? Looks similar, a little larger?

Split the centerboard trunk as I was worried about the plywood being rotted on the inside. It was in great shape so I sanded and primed it. Could this trunk be original from 1941? I found drops of dried epoxy on the inside. I don't think epoxy was around then either?

If you look close you can see someone put snipe # 3428 on the bedlog with a nail and hammer.

Must be a transposition but is that 4328? Nice work otherwise and following along!

lol yes #4328. Misplaced my reading glasses.

fun to see your rebuild. keep up the good work.

jim

It is a pleasure to see your work progress! Bravo!
    Jay

Scraped and primed the inside of the hull.

Cut and Chiseled all the rot out of the stem.

Fitted and glued in new wood.

Finally, planed and sanded it.

Flipped her over and now ripping 3/8" Grooves removing the old caulk and cotton. Scored some knot free cedar at HD to rip to size and epoxy in place.