Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78

Thread: John Welsford, Long Steps design, cross post.

Default Re: John Welsford, Long Steps design, cross post.

But John the Mirage drive can be "feathered " in shallow water and still provide propulsion . I have the model pictured above in this thread . Hobie provides a hook and bungee to hold back one of the pedal arms so as the drive doesn't need removal when beaching . This holds wings up against hull and could be recessed by a clever builder I think .

A larger build with the pedal drive
    Last edited by WAGrunter; 04-04-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Building a new boat is fun, there are stages when I sit on the seats, holding a stick which does temporary duty as a tiller, and dream of sailing this partly planked skeleton over sparkling blue seas. But yesterday was a little different, I fitted the main part of the cockpit floor, all 7 ft 4in or so of it, and lay down on it with my head and shoulders up under the cuddy. Very roomy, nice, comfortable. I was imagining being anchored in some little cove somewhere, full belly, warm sleeping bag, the boom tent up and nice music on the radio.
    I'm all motivated today, will spend most of the day fitting the centercase and a pair of stringers.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by WAGrunter View Post
    But John the Mirage drive can be "feathered " in shallow water and still provide propulsion . I have the model pictured above in this thread . Hobie provides a hook and bungee to hold back one of the pedal arms so as the drive doesn't need removal when beaching . This holds wings up against hull and could be recessed by a clever builder I think .
    I'm sure that would work,but I still have reservations as to how well they'd survive the boat being surfed up a pebble beach.
    Its not an issue anyway as I have a strong preference for rowing and thats what the boats designed for, right down to oar stowage and seat heights.

Good suggestion for another boat off in the future sometime though.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Building a new boat is fun, there are stages when I sit on the seats, holding a stick which does temporary duty as a tiller, and dream of sailing this partly planked skeleton over sparkling blue seas. But yesterday was a little different, I fitted the main part of the cockpit floor, all 7 ft 4in or so of it, and lay down on it with my head and shoulders up under the cuddy. Very roomy, nice, comfortable. I was imagining being anchored in some little cove somewhere, full belly, warm sleeping bag, the boom tent up and nice music on the radio.
    I'm all motivated today, will spend most of the day fitting the centercase and a pair of stringers.

John Welsford
    Daydreaming is half the fun of building a boat. Good on you John. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

Travis.

I'll second that motion, Zuri.
    -Dave

How's this one going John? Any progress lately?

Travis.