Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Default Re: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Yes, you have a problem. It is called BBV. It is a virus that attacks men of a certain age (any where form 5 to infinity) and the only cure, although only temporary, it to get into the shop and make some sawdust. BoatBuilder'sVirus has been around ever since Noah got the bug.
    The only problem I have with your post is no pics.

It it starts as soon as we are able to hold a tool. Bentley is 3.

BBV is very serious and highly contagious! I suggest you spread it as much as possible!
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post

BBV is very serious and highly contagious! I suggest you spread it as much as possible!

BBV started at a young age with me also. My father even encouraged it. He found it humorous when I'd use a screw driver as a chisel, less so when I used his good chisels as screwdrivers. My seventh grade shop teacher scoffed at my idea of building a boat as a class project. Little did he know....
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post

While I'm enjoying the BBV concept, even more important is getting kids comfortable & familiar with tools. Knowing how to use basic tools is something that will last them a lifetime. Since I started dealing with sons-in-law, I have learned that there are many young men who have grown up without ever touching a hammer or saw. While wonderful people, these guys are lost when it comes to doing something that requires a tool. I've been slowly building up their tool selections & showing them some basics. Of course their wives have shown them a few things too, but that's because they had to deal with me from an early age
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Planking is now one third complete. Simple, but tedious way to plank a boat. Can't wait for the longboarding to start!

Looks great Rich. The shape of the hull will make installing the motor much simpler than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Looks great Rich. The shape of the hull will make installing the motor much simpler than mine.
    Let's hope so. Seeing how you did yours is going to be a big help. I've got some ideas floating around in my head on the best way to approach this. Once the boat is flipped right side up, I'll be able to see what I'm dealing with. I'd like to see that steering arm of yours.

I will try to post some pics in my blog later today.
    I just checked my old email and found this link to the steering arm.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-ST.../191732378473?
    Not only was this the best price I could find, it fit.
    Last edited by Oldad; 11-29-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Planking is coming along.

In between station molds, I staple the strips to keep them tight and flush. Since this boat will be painted, a million staple holes are of little consequence.

Here's the process I use for gluing up the scarfs on the planking. I do about 12 planks/strips at a time. Lots of wax paper is a must! Once everything is in place, I clamp the daylights out of it and let it sit for 24 hours.

Unthickened epoxy

Start lining them up. Wax paper between each strip.

Repeat 12 times

Clamp and wait 24 hours. Boat uses about 100 strips.

Last edited by Rich Jones; 12-04-2015 at 04:16 AM.

Looks great Rich, nice progress.

Sooooo close to finishing the planking. Hopefully tomorrow if I can get all other obligations out of the way first.

It's been a frightfully easy hull to plank, mainly because it'll be fiberglassed/painted on the outside and all covered with interior structure on the inside. I was able to get away with imperfections that would be a no-no if this were a clear finished hull. Lots of fairing will set things to rights along with some fairing compound.

Beautiful work Rich. You were joking about looking forward to longboarding, but I have to admit it looks fun. At least for an hour or two.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Beautiful, Rich. That will be an easily driven hull. You are catching up to me on my build and I better get busy.

Wow, great thread! Looking good!!

I'll definitely be following along!

I may have missed it. What will you be powering her with?

Scott
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Quote Originally Posted by Cogeniac View Post
    Wow, great thread! Looking good!!

I'll definitely be following along!

I may have missed it. What will you be powering her with?

Scott
    At this point, I'll be replacing the original rudder and rudder post with a 80lb. thrust trolling motor I've got. But, I'll be putting a propeller shaft hole though the skeg just in case I want to go with an inboard electric motor in the future.

I too have been looking at more powerful electric motors. A bit pricey compared to the MK, but might be worth it. I will go with the MK and if that is not enough—not sure. If I could find the original old one lunger….

The whisky plank went in today. Or should that be whisky strip?? I dusted off the old bottle of booze and had a nip to celebrate. Poured the rest back in the bottle as I don't really care for the hard stuff. Only use it once in a while for mixed drinks, that's why I have the cheap rot-gut stuff and not an expensive bottle.

Now, I enter the doldrums. Endless days of drifting around the boat, planing and sanding, searching for that elusive perfectly fair hull. Wish me luck!

I can't believe how fast you did that. Looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    I can't believe how fast you did that. Looking good.
    Retirement is great!!!

Yes, retirement is great, but I would strongly recommend you quickly establish your next course of action and announce it to all. You know perfectly well that if you don't, someone, family, neighbor, SOMEONE will come up with something that needs doing. And it will be detrimental to BOATBUILDING!

Rick, could you post a pic showing the keel, rudder, etc. as designed, ah, I went back and found it. Should be very easy to slip the motor right in there without much fuss. With my build, the hull does not angle up enough to come right off the bottom in an almost straight line, I will have to build up a skeg to protect the motor and it will not be pretty. Curses. At least it will be under the water—most of the time.
    Last edited by Oldad; 12-15-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ View Post
    Yes, retirement is great, but I would strongly recommend you quickly establish your next course of action and announce it to all. You know perfectly well that if you don't, someone, family, neighbor, SOMEONE will come up with something that needs doing. And it will be detrimental to BOATBUILDING!
    Funny you should say that. No sooner did I announce to my wife that the planking was completed, she says "Oh, good. You can help me decorate the tree and house for Christmas". I love Christmas, but hate decorating. Should have stayed in my shop and started fairing the hull...

Wow !

That is just lovely Rich.

OK, Christmas is past, my kids have gone back to their homes after a great visit and I can get back to boatbuilding. I've filled all the screw holes that temporarily held the planks with a putty made from Titebond II and woodflour ( fine wood dust I collected years ago when refinishing some oak floors). Now, I'm getting acquainted with the joys of longboarding. Not as bad as I thought, but my staying power isn't too long due to the blown rotator cuff tendons in my left shoulder.
    But, slow and steady is the course. By next week I'll be fairing the hull with epoxy fairing putty. Then even more sanding....

The longboarding is done, at least for now. There will be a bit of touch up when I throw some fairing compound on the boat.
    But, let's turn to the outer stem, which must be installed prior to glassing the hull. I dragged out the lofting and got the template close, then polished things with bits of cardboard stapled in place. (things were a bit off because I changed from the carvel construction to strip plank and because I'm not perfect!)
    Next was to lay it out on the lofting and draw the outer edge.
    The outer stem will be made like the inner, with layers of black cherry.
    I'll start cutting up the cherry on Monday. Tomorrow afternoon is reserved for football!

Here's the six pieces of the stem, ready for gluing. They are cut slightly oversize and will be trimmed once the stem is assembled. My basement shop was a bit chilly this morning (outside temp last night was -11 F), so I put the glued up stem in the mudroom to dry. The wood pellet stove in there will keep it nice and toasty. Drywall screws that you see are for clamping purposes only.
    I've put an electric heater( a safe one) in the shop to warm it up, as I want to put the sealer coat of epoxy on the hull this afternoon.

Beautiful hull Rich!!!!

Nice work Rich

I put the epoxy sealer coat on today. There's two schools of thought out there about sealer coats before glassing. One says "don't do it" because the coat you put on while wetting out the cloth won't sink into the wood as far. The other school says, "no big deal", and it makes it less likely to have "gas-out" as the epoxy sinks in and cures when you put on the cloth/epoxy.
    My hull has some dings, gaps and various imperfections that I'd like to go over with Microlight filler before glassing. The WEST manual says to epoxy coat the whole area beforehand. So, I decided to go the "seal the whole boat" route before fairing with Micrlight and glassing.
    Of course, I'll have to scrub and wash this sealer coat before sanding, but that's the breaks. It just adds to my epoxy martyrdom!

Sweet

The stem is now shaped and installed. I also applied a bit of fairing compound to this side of the boat. I'll do the other side later (sun has set and it's time for a glass of wine). I decided to not glass the stem but just run the glass up to the inner edge of it. It will be epoxy coated and painted, but the sharper edges will give the hull a more "woody" look. Kent (dktyson) did this on his 18' Myst yawl and it looked great.

Sometime next week, my boatbuilding will come to a crashing halt for a while. My wife decided that the four year old carpet in our bedroom was looking a bit ratty (looks fine to me!). Rather then new carpet, she'd prefer a hardwood floor. So, out comes my trusty hardwood floor nailer and away I go! Ordered the pre-finished white oak flooring today. Bedroom is 14'x 24', so that's a lot of wood.
    There is a positive side to this. Whenever she questions anything I might buy for this new boat I'm building, I'll lovingly remind her of the $2,000 worth of wood she bought for the floor!

Oh, look! It's some guy fiberglassing his boat! How exciting! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
    I know, we've seen countless boats being fiberglassed and it is BORING, but this menial task must be taken care of before we can go forward.
    Tomorrow, I'll glass the other side but won't further bore anyone with pics.

Sadly, the hardwood flooring for my bedroom was delivered today, so I'll be slaving away with that for the next week or so. Boatbuilding on hold until then.

Once the epoxy starts to harden up, I'll go around with a knife and trim the excess cloth.

Glassed the other side this morning. A simple enough procedure, but you've got to be very vigilant for dry spots, bubbles and runs. Any of these leads to grief later on. One drawback of the fairing compound I used is that it was sometimes hard to tell if I was looking at a spot of compound through the glass or an epoxy starved spot.
    The filler coats will be much easier to deal with, but they will have to wait while I put down that hardwood floor.

Looking great Rich, good luck with the floor, I will not let my wife see your thread if you are going to keep slipping in these jobs that she would like me to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Looking great Rich, good luck with the floor, I will not let my wife see your thread if you are going to keep slipping in these jobs that she would like me to do.
    A few years back a bunch of friends & I had to have an intervention with another friend. He was getting so many projects done that he really made us look bad. Maybe intervention was a bad term, as it mostly involved beer & threats, but you get the idea
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green