Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Default Re: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Is that on wheels? And what happens when you push on it to bend a plank in? Oh, never mind...
    Fish and ships or is that chips

Yep, I always put my building jigs on wheels. They lock in place when needed, but with those thin little strip planks, there's not that much pressure when bending them in place. The wheels are nice in that I'm able to roll the thing around and get a good line of sight when establishing the sheerstrake etc.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

For those of you worried that my shop's cement floor might not be level and could twist my strongback out of shape while rolling around, let me assure you that it's perfectly flat.
    When I started building this house 20 years ago, I lived 300 miles away. When it came time to pour the foundation and floor, I couldn't be here to monitor the work. Being a home improvement contractor, I'd seen lots of cement work done over the years. Some good, some horrible. In this case, I just had to cross my fingers and hope the guy I hired was any good.
    On my next trip up here, I found The Perfect Foundation. Walls were straight, square and plumb. Floor was level and absolutely flat. Much better then the guys I sub-contracted my work to down on Long Island, N.Y. I was one happy camper! Now, years later, I can enjoy rolling my building jigs around, worry free about twisting.

Great progress Rich. Your shop floor makes me blush when I think how cluttered and messy mine is. Pretty flat too, though.

This will be interesting!

It was a busy day. Five un-interrupted hours, which I needed for the complex stuff going on today. Keel/inner stem installed and the framing for the fantail stern permanently in place. Upteen hours of thinking and planning resulted in things coming out OK. Only had to tweak a few things here and there. The fantail frames still need to be beveled so the planking lands properly, but that's a job for another day.

As for planking those frames, I'll be running regular planking back to station #8, then switch to short vertical pieces to go around the tight radius of the stern. In the end, I think it'll be easier then trying to steam or laminate around that radius.

Cool! Its going to be a lovely stern.

Looks like you are off to a good start. It will be most interesting watch this one come together.

I finished the bevel on the fantail arch. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "rolling bevel".

After that, I ripped, scarfed and glued up some planks so I can fair the molds and determine the sheerline. I made this little gig that clamps to my chopsaw to cut the 1:6 ratio scarf. Works like a charm.

I'm a smart enough fellow to know when I'm ignorant. My one other attempt at strip building, a small solo canoe of my own design that I built years ago, turned out OK but left something to be desired. A couple of flat spots in the planking, fiberglass not quite up to par, etc.
    So, this time around, I bought Nick Schade's "Building Strip-Planked Boats" from the WoodenBoat Store. Lots of great info in there. All sorts of tricks that wouldn't normally come to mind. He tells you not only how to do things, but how not to do them and the reason why. Such things as dealing with planking problems or fiberglassing at a constant temperature or falling temperature. Never fiberglassing as the temperature is rising (has to do with air escaping from the wood and forming bubbles). Who would have known that?

Anyway, it was a good $22 spent. It'll go on the shelf with the rest of my boatbuilding library.

Looking great Rich. Will it be ready for spring? I want to be at the launch party.

Wouldn't that be the "launch launch" party?

I'd love to be there too.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Wouldn't that be the "launch launch" party?

I'd love to be there too.
    You'll probably have to wait until Spring of 2017 for the launch launch party. Like fine wine, building a boat should be savored and not rushed. Planking might go pretty quickly, but the decks and interior are going to take lots of thought and time to get just right.
    When the event does happen, I'll give plenty of notice for those wishing to see it splash.

Nice work so far, Rich. You move fast!
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

I beveled the inner stem today and gave it a seal coat of epoxy.

Now, for those of you under the delusion that I know what I'm doing, I offer up this evidence to prove that I'm not quite up to the "Jim Ledger" level of craftsmanship. I must confess that I fooled around a little bit with the shape of a few station molds in an effort to eliminate some of the roundness of the hull. Just a tweak here and there, nothing that will sink the boat, but in running some battens over the molds, I could see that the one amidships needs a bit more to it, so I laminated on some cedar strips that I will grind to shape tomorrow. Other than that, all the battens seem to show a nice shape with no flat spots, lumps or bumps.

Still ripping, scarfing and gluing up planking strips. Lots and lots more to go...

Hey Rich -

I realize that VT was the 14th star (IOW 1st state not of the original 13 colonies) - but are you aware of what you may need to use to christen the boat?

http://www.14thstarbrewing.com/

Brought to you as a public service...

Hey Rich -

I realize that VT was the 14th star (IOW 1st state not of the original 13 colonies) - but are you aware of what you may need to use to christen the boat?

http://www.14thstarbrewing.com/

Brought to you as a public service...
    This could be a problem.... I really detest the taste of beer. Why couldn't they be a winery?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    This could be a problem.... I really detest the taste of beer. Why couldn't they be a winery?
    No worries! I'll drink it for you!

No worries! I'll drink it for you!
    During the launching of my last boat two years ago alongside John Hartmann's now world famous WAXWING, we just poured sparkling cider over both bows. I'll have to ramp it up for this next one.

https://www.14hands.com/

Not stars, but hands.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

During the launching of my last boat two years ago alongside John Hartmann's now world famous WAXWING, we just poured sparkling cider over both bows. I'll have to ramp it up for this next one.
    Rich, I will happily supply a bottle of home made sparkling cider for the launch.....it was a perfect year for apples in this part of Vermont, and I have many wild apple trees on the homestead, with an ample batch of hard cider clearing prior to bottling. Should be ready to pop a cork by launch time!
    The launch is progressing very nicely!
    cheers,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    Rich, I will happily supply a bottle of home made sparkling cider for the launch.....it was a perfect year for apples in this part of Vermont, and I have many wild apple trees on the homestead, with an ample batch of hard cider clearing prior to bottling. Should be ready to pop a cork by launch time!
    The launch is progressing very nicely!
    cheers,
    J
    That would be perfect!
    Any new boatbuilding project in your future?
    Last edited by Rich Jones; 11-18-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Tomorrow is the big day when I roll the boat (can I call it a boat when it's only got three or four pieces so far?) out into my attached two car garage. I've got more room to maneuver and sight things as I determine the all important sheerline with the sheerstrakes. I'll set the sheerstrake where the offsets tell me to, then take a few pictures from various angles, flip the photos upside down and see how things will look with the boat rightside up. Adjust and repeat until I've got it right. I've got the whole day free so can hopefully got a bunch of strips on, however many that might be.

I had a successful day getting six strips on each side. Some prep work before hand and a few unexpected household chores kept me from doing more, but a good start. No problems and everything went as planned. Of course, in strip planking, the first bunch of strips are easy. Later comes the need for stealer strips, crazy twisted planks, etc.
    First picture is my planking shelf where I store all my scarfed planks. It's a good spot to put those 19' floppy things. I staggered the scarfs from different lengths of wood so the scarf joints wouldn't be next to each other on the boat. Color coded the ends for easy ID.
    Second picture is of today's progress. Ignore that hideous plastic thing hanging from the ceiling, it belongs to my wife. The jig/boat is now back in the shop, not to see the light of day until next Spring.

Great start Rich.

no tall people going through this door?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    no tall people going through this door?
    I set the brackets at 6'2", plenty of clearance for me and the wife. No one I know taller then that will be visiting my shop.

So - after my Patrick O'Brian comment, I'm no longer welcome?

So - after my Patrick O'Brian comment, I'm no longer welcome?
    I didn't catch the Patrick O'Brian reference. Sorry! Of course, you're always welcome!

But I'm over 6'2"!

It was in another thread where Paul Pless dissed Mr. O'Brian & I agreed. You told me I was off your Christmas Card list...

But I'm over 6'2"!

It was in another thread where Paul Pless dissed Mr. O'Brian & I agreed. You told me I was off your Christmas Card list...
    OK... I'm in a good mood today... you're back on the list. And...if you ever meander down this way to visit my shop....DUCK!!

No work on the boat today. Had to bring a cord of firewood into the garage. Plus, build a little roof over the back door. My honey is tired of dodging falling ice from the second floor roof.

Planking is progressing. I'm past all the fantail planking that had me up nights thinking it through. That "knuckle", as it's called on the plans, is a tricky transition along the sides of the boat. First shot shows where I changed from horizontal planking to the vertical pieces going around the stern. Second shot shows some sweet curves.
    The planking gods have been good to me so far. Hopefully, the rest is pretty straight forward. But, knowing that I got past that tricky part, I can put the boat on the back burner until after Thanksgiving and relax.

Looking great! Happy Thanksgiving.

Looks great, Rich. Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Just got back from a three day trip to visit our son for Thanksgiving. No boatbuilding for three whole days!! We got home around 3 p.m., so I ran down into my shop and ripped up a bunch of strips for planking, scarfed and glued them before dinner. Whew! It sure felt good to see the sawdust fly.
    Question: Do I have a problem?