Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Default Re: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Looks great. I bet you can't wait to splash it.
    You may have already mentioned this but what is the purpose of the recessed strip on the aft deck? Is is a cover board that will be removable to get to the rudder shaft?

Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri View Post
    Looks great. I bet you can't wait to splash it.
    You may have already mentioned this but what is the purpose of the recessed strip on the aft deck? Is is a cover board that will be removable to get to the rudder shaft?

Travis.
    Exactly. I didn't want an ugly hatch and this removable cover board won't look like a hatch at all yet still give me enough room to reach in to gain access to the steering gear.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Springtime chores have gotten in the way of boatbuilding. Today was raining, so no outdoor brush cutting, firewood stacking, etc., etc., etc. which gave me a chance to make the templates for the seating. Construction will be 1/2" ply with 3/16"X1-1/2" mahogany strips laminated on with epoxy. It won't have the black seams like the decks and cockpit sole. No sense putting a high gloss varnish finish since it will get some abuse from feet, etc. An oil finish will do just fine. The ruffled velvet cushions will have to wait for another time!
    I'm not convinced that the circular ends are quite right. Maybe just an arch instead?

Meanwhile, in other news, I was wondering who was messing with the birdfeeders at night. My game camera caught this guy in the act. Time to take in the feeders, I guess.

Nice catch! If you keep them 10' away from trees & over 10' off the ground, the bears won't get 'em. Filling is a PITA though...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I finished up the ply sub-deck for the seats. The entire side bench tops will be hinged and also a hatch in the fore and aft seat. I decided to make the ends an arch instead of the round ends shown on the templates. Just looked better to me. Next will be making lots of sawdust as I mill the mahogany strips. All faces and edges of the ply have been thoroughly sealed in multiple coats of epoxy. I also ran a bead of bedding/caulking compound around the edges of the installed ply to keep water from seeping down there. I've also stained and put five coats of varnish on the rubrails. Hull painting can now also be started. There's just a primer coat on now.
    There's still a ways to go before the big splash, plus my son is getting married in four weeks which will slow things down. But, this boat will be in the water this summer!

I ran into Grant in the market the other day & we decided you should let us know when to come down for a ride

OK - at least a look-see!

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I ran into Grant in the market the other day & we decided you should let us know when to come down for a ride

OK - at least a look-see!
    You guys can come down any time! If you want a ride in the boat, you'll have to wait a little longer.
    My schedule is pretty free. Plan on coming for lunch.

If you were closer, I'd by vying for one of those ride tickets! You will have a blast with this boat, Rich.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    If you were closer, I'd by vying for one of those ride tickets! You will have a blast with this boat, Rich.

Jeff
    The more the merrier! At least with the amount of seating in this boat, no one will be left ashore.

One other item accomplished was the final coat of white paint inside the lockers. I was feeling guilty while doing it though since I had just read Jim Ledger's posting about putting five coats of primer (sanded between coats, of course) and several top coats of gloss white in his chain locker, an area that no one will ever be seeing. Here I was slopping on latex semi-gloss white with little regard about what any of the junk thrown in there will think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    You guys can come down any time! If you want a ride in the boat, you'll have to wait a little longer.
    My schedule is pretty free. Plan on coming for lunch.
    Or for the splash party.... and definitely lunch

Slowly working my way through the laminating of the seats. Tedious work.
    I think I've settled on a color for the sheerline. Rustoleum has a nice almond gloss that looks nice on a scrap of wood taped in place. The camera really doesn't do justice to the real color, but it gives you an idea of what it is. I painted samples all different colors: green, brown, and a couple of shades of red. I wasn't happy with them and my wife and I both think the almond is the way to go. Plus, it's a lot cheaper then Pettit, etc.

I painted a fiberglass boat with Rustoleum's almond gloss. I was really happy with it. Easy to work with and maintain. Adhered well and best part about it - after a couple years, you just go to the local store, pick up another can and do touch ups. Blends easily.

Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri View Post
    I painted a fiberglass boat with Rustoleum's almond gloss. I was really happy with it. Easy to work with and maintain. Adhered well and best part about it - after a couple years, you just go to the local store, pick up another can and do touch ups. Blends easily.

Travis.
    The bottom is painted with Rustoleum green. Sure beats $36/quart for Pettit, Interlux, etc.!

I too had a glass trailer sailor painted with Rustoleum. Was in perfect shape when I sold it 3 years later.

WOW!, time to subscribe!

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    WOW!, time to subscribe!
    Thanks. I've had a fun time building this boat. Almost sorry to see it coming to an end.
    Hmmm... what to build next?

Thanks. I've had a fun time building this boat. Almost sorry to see it coming to an end.
    Hmmm... what to build next?
    Steam power plant.

You know you want to.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    Steam power plant.

You know you want to.
    It would look really cool to be chugging around the lake tooting a steam whistle, but I'd rather spend the time that's required to get up steam and put out the fire afterwards actually being out on the water enjoying the boat. Besides, having the electric motor on the outside of the boat leaves more room for lounging passengers.

I've finished both ends of the seating and need to do a few more pieces on the side benches. A zillion pieces of wood needed to be scribed, cut and fitted. But I'm getting to the end of that. Next will be plugging all those screw holes with bungs followed by lots of sanding.

The other news is a change of name for the boat. It was to be named "14th Star" in honor of my great state of Vermont being the 14th state in the union. But, after 37 years of asking my wife if I can name a boat after her, she has finally said yes. So, the launch shall be christened LADY JANE.

Well, ain't that a fine kettle o' fish? Now you're gonna have to start all over - including a new thread! Glad to hear she went for it Rich. Obviously she was waiting for one that was up to her standards...

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Well, ain't that a fine kettle o' fish? Now you're gonna have to start all over - including a new thread! Glad to hear she went for it Rich. Obviously she was waiting for one that was up to her standards...
    We'll just have to stagger along with this thread, including the 14th Star title. Too much of a PITA to change.

Well, your next boat is pre-named, right?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I've finished both ends of the seating and need to do a few more pieces on the side benches. A zillion pieces of wood needed to be scribed, cut and fitted. But I'm getting to the end of that. Next will be plugging all those screw holes with bungs followed by lots of sanding.

The other news is a change of name for the boat. It was to be named "14th Star" in honor of my great state of Vermont being the 14th state in the union. But, after 37 years of asking my wife if I can name a boat after her, she has finally said yes. So, the launch shall be christened LADY JANE.
    I guess we can all say it now but 14th star was a little... aggressive sounding for this "stately" launch (no pun intended) maybe a good name for a commuter or yard tug but not this elegant vessel...

but Lady Jane... have we gone too far in the other direction? Lady Jane sounds quite ... Victorian... "pinkys out", Im afraid you may end up chauffering a group of women hither and thither about the lake as they sip high tea and crumpets.

is just plain.... JANE an option?

the seats are going to be awesome with the varnish on them... having just finished Centennials deck, wich is 1/10th as complex I appreciate the amount of saw dust and carefull fitting that has gone into your deck and seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    I guess we can all say it now but 14th star was a little... aggressive sounding for this "stately" launch (no pun intended) maybe a good name for a commuter or yard tug but not this elegant vessel...

but Lady Jane... have we gone too far in the other direction? Lady Jane sounds quite ... Victorian... "pinkys out", Im afraid you may end up chauffering a group of women hither and thither about the lake as they sip high tea and crumpets.

is just plain.... JANE an option?

the seats are going to be awesome with the varnish on them... having just finished Centennials deck, wich is 1/10th as complex I appreciate the amount of saw dust and carefull fitting that has gone into your deck and seats.
    I felt that JANE was a bit too plain. LADY JANE does reflect back on the Victorian era in which this launch would have been used. I'll be delighted to pilot the launch while the ladies are sipping their tea. It's a gentlemanly type of vessel meant purely for a slow relaxing trip around the lake. No crumpets, though. Can't be getting crumbs all over the place.

well, that was my thinking on "JANE" a simple name as a counter point to a elegant and stately launch... kind of a "she's beautifull but doesn't really know it" sort of vibe.

but... sounds like your going into this "eyes wide open" good luck!

3 Huzzahs for the Lady Jane!
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 05-16-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Good sir, I have not spoken to you, so I hope you will forgive the interruption. But I have followed this thread closely and, like that guy sitting in the corner of the bar listening to the conversation, I thought I'd but in. Would you consider MISS JANE as a cross between the two options?

Quote Originally Posted by BKay View Post
    Good sir, I have not spoken to you, so I hope you will forgive the interruption. But I have followed this thread closely and, like that guy sitting in the corner of the bar listening to the conversation, I thought I'd but in. Would you consider MISS JANE as a cross between the two options?
    Well, my dear wife hasn't been a Miss in almost 40 years. Naming the boat MRS. JONES seems a bit odd also. With LADY JANE, it takes us both back to our roots in jolly old England (although there's Italian and German mixed in there, too). With LADY JANE, we can pretend that we have some blood blue in our veins. Then again, she could change her mind tomorrow and we'll be back to 14th STAR!

The naming of a boat that one has dreamed of, planned, and built is, at least for me, a very personal experience.

Jeff

Well, my dear wife hasn't been a Miss in almost 40 years. Naming the boat MRS. JONES seems a bit odd also. With LADY JANE, it takes us both back to our roots in jolly old England (although there's Italian and German mixed in there, too). With LADY JANE, we can pretend that we have some blood blue in our veins. Then again, she could change her mind tomorrow and we'll be back to 14th STAR!
    hmmmmm, how about "Goody Jane" sort of riffing off the good wife Jane/good ship Jane... maybe too olde tyme, colonial sounding?

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    The naming of a boat that one has dreamed of, planned, and built is, at least for me, a very personal experience.

Jeff
    typically anything in my life that is intensely personal I will refrain from posting about on the forum... a forum post is pretty much an invite for everything from sage advice to ridiculous and unsolicited critiques and accolades!

got to start a naming discussion for Centennial, have to admit I'm a bit stumped.

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

My boat will be called "Lady Susan" for all the reasons you have outlined. It is a traditional boat so give it a traditional name.

I launched her about a week ago (unfinished) to make some test runs and gather performance info on the electric drive. There is a short video and some numbers at davesfantaillaunch.blogspot.com.au/. If anyone reading that can offer an explanation as to why the propeller slip decreases as boat speed increases I would be very grateful. My intuition says that the slip should increase as the boat approaches hull speed and the prop is having to work harder.

Quote Originally Posted by mickles View Post
    My boat will be called "Lady Susan" for all the reasons you have outlined. It is a traditional boat so give it a traditional name.

I launched her about a week ago (unfinished) to make some test runs and gather performance info on the electric drive. There is a short video and some numbers at davesfantaillaunch.blogspot.com.au/. If anyone reading that can offer an explanation as to why the propeller slip decreases as boat speed increases I would be very grateful. My intuition says that the slip should increase as the boat approaches hull speed and the prop is having to work harder.
    She's a beauty! I test floated mine last summer, but she's a lot heavier now with all the woodwork installed. I'm still hoping for speeds equal to yours.

Lurking and loving it Rich!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by mickles View Post

off shore racing boats do the same thing, they have small high pitch props compared with the horse power available, at low speeds the props slip like crazy once the boat reaches 50-60 mph the props hook up and the boat rockets off quickly accelerating to 100+

some Drag boats overcome this problem with variable pitch propellers.

typical prop on a olde thyme launch is big and of moderate pitch, rotating slowly, if so, slip will be minimal.