Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Default Re: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Here's a little side project I've been working on. Every boat with a motor has to have a throttle, right? Now the trolling motor I'm using has the regular twist handle for a throttle, but that would never do on a 19th century design. Time to make a nice wooden one out of khaya wood.
    I cut the twist throttle off the motor head about 2" from the end. Taking a 2" wide piece of khaya, I bored a 1" diameter hole with a Forstner bit 5/8" deep (the wood is 7/8" thick). Next, stand a short piece of the cut off handle tube (liberally waxed) in the hole.

Now, stuff thickened epoxy all around the tube. You'll notice that the tube has one side flattened, so the new handle will grip.

Once dry, grip the tube section with a pair of vice grips and pull out. I had to clamp the wood down and tap lightly upwards with a hammer on the vise grips to get it out.

Next, remove all the wood that doesn't look like a throttle handle, resulting in this:

Here's the throttle handle and motor head.

Here it is in place. All it needs is a set screw to keep it from wriggling off and 6 coats of varnish!

I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Nice, Rich!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I fired up the steamer today and bent the cockpit coamings. The kiln dried red oak, planed down to 1/2", bent with very little effort after one hour and fifteen minutes in the steam box. As you can see, I came up with a different clamping method. There simply isn't enough time to fool around with regular clamps when you only have a few minutes to get the wood bent around the form. My dear wife stood by and slipped in the plywood crosspieces as I bent the wood around. Wedges smacked into place pulled the wood tight to the form.
    Tomorrow we'll see if everything fits in the boat correctly.

In other news, I've milled the upper and lower rub rails including steam bending the ones around the stern. I've put a coat of epoxy on the back as waterproofing and will bed them into place in the next few days. But first, I'll start making the patterns for the planking that runs around the edge of the deck. I know there's a word for them, but I just can't remember! I'm sure I'll remember it as soon as I post this...

Nice work Rich. Great to have that extra pair of hands.

Looks great, Rich.

I took the cockpit coamings off the forms and started fitting them to the boat. It'll take a bit of trimming here and there, but nothing can fit perfectly the first time!.
    Before they get installed, I have to fit and install the deck. Just easier to fit the deck pieces that way. First chore is making patterns for the covering boards (I think that's the correct term) around the edge of the deck. I'll first rough cut them, then install the rub rails and final fit the pieces up against the rub rail.
    Here's step one: laying out pieces of 1/8' lauan for the patterns.

I'm doing the final fitting of the covering boards and will be gluing them down this week. Also milled the deck planking. 3/8"X1-1/2" This is all from Khaya African mahogany. I'll install the rubrails (which are all ready to go), then the decking.

The decks on the original Palmer launches were made of 1-1/4" strips of wood laid tightly together. However, I was so impressed with the look of the deck on dktyson's (kent) D18 Myst Beach Yawl that I will be shamelessly borrowing the method. He laid the strips about 1/8" apart and filled the seams with thickened epoxy colored with black graphite. I'm hoping my deck will come out looking as good as his.

I'm finally attaching pieces to the boat again. Lots of time spent noodling around with all the parts to get perfect (or perfect enough for me...) fits before gluing things for all of eternity.
    Covering boards went on first, followed by the upper and lower rubrails. The rubrails were steam bent awhile ago and put off to the side until yesterday. Everything was epoxied and temporarily screwed. The screws were carefully placed so, once removed, they can be bored out to 3/8" and plugs inserted, mimicking plugged screw holes. I'll be doing the same with the deck planking.

Damn she's pretty!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Damn she's pretty!
    Thanks, Garret. A lot of thought and effort went into the research to find such a pretty hull. I like my boat designs like my classical music. All aspects have to flow together into one harmonious result. No choppy, discordant notes.

What lovely lines, and so well executed. Kudos, Rich.

Rich, it gets better and better...

Fantastic! It really is coming along

I had a great day yesterday laying the aft deck. Here's the process:
    Cut and fit the planks, lay them down with 3/16" spacers in between, drill pilot holes and screw down.
    I'll then number all the pieces before taking them up again. Next is to mix up a batch of epoxy and lay the planks down permanently, screwing them down again with the short sheetrock screws. Once dry, I'll remove the screws and drill out each hole to 3/8" to receive a bung. I'll then sand the deck smooth and cover planks with blue painters tape. Black graphite powder will be added to thickened epoxy and the seams filled just a bit proud to allow for shrinkage. Tape taken up and deck sanded again. Ten coats of varnish and it's done!
    Here's what I've got so far. This afternoon, I'll move to the pointy end of the boat.

Awesome work, Rich.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

exciting!, I'm just a couple weeks behind you in deck building, watching with interest... I'm considering trying TIII with some black latex paint mixed in for calking between planks... would graphite mix with TIII?

Thanks for the compliments, gentlemen. I knew this design would be a lot of work, but I think it'll be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    exciting!, I'm just a couple weeks behind you in deck building, watching with interest... I'm considering trying TIII with some black latex paint mixed in for calking between planks... would graphite mix with TIII?
    I don't believe TIII is meant for gap filling. Might it just crumble over time?

Foredeck planking done. Tomorrow it gets glued down. Now I have to count how many bungs I need. Quite a few from the looks of it...

no double wide center plank on the fore deck... no King Plank? wont you want a nice wide center plank to fasten a centerline deck cleat into?

looks gorgeous.

my vote for paint job would be the Faux wood, I like that suggestion, failing that, just go with all white hull, except for rub strips, down to the waterline.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    no double wide center plank on the fore deck... no King Plank? wont you want a nice wide center plank to fasten a centerline deck cleat into?

looks gorgeous.

my vote for paint job would be the Faux wood, I like that suggestion, failing that, just go with all white hull, except for rub strips, down to the waterline.
    There will be a wide strip down the middle, but it will be placed on top of the deck, not set flush. This is a departure from the originals, but there is a reason. Way back in the thread I described the need for access to the steering gear in the stern. This will be via a long skinny hatch disguised as a raised king plank. So, if raised in the stern, it'll also be raised in the bow to match.

Ahhhh, Ok my mistake... carry on!

The decks are glued down for good. Not much to see except my super-duper handmade notch-thingie to spread the thickened epoxy. Another idea shameless borrowed from dktyson's thread.

Earlier today, I was lamenting to the counter guy at the lumber yard that I didn't quite have enough Khaya mahogany to finish the seats and would have to make the 100 mile round trip to get that one piece of wood. He mentions to me that he bought a piece a few years ago, never used it and had it stored in the warehouse. So, for $60, I came away with a beautiful straight grained piece 6/4 x 12" x 10' Just the right amount I needed. That put a smile on my face for the day.

Tomorrow I'll be sanding the decks. I've hooked my orbital sander to the shopvav so I'll keep the dust down. Wicked spring storm coming in tonight, supposed to have up to 23" of snow by Saturday, so I'll be busy with the snowblower, too. It just not fair that folks all around me but 1000' lower will only see a few inches!

23"??? Are you sure that isn't 2-3 or an early April Fools? Total of 5-7" by Sat. night up here.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    23"??? Are you sure that isn't 2-3 or an early April Fools? Total of 5-7" by Sat. night up here.
    That's what my weather forecast says. 3-5 today and the heavy snow tonight with a few more inches tomorrow. 3" on the ground right now and it's picking up. I live over 1000' higher then most folks in Vermont.

Today it is snowing. A good day for indoor projects. Here's how our breakfast conversation went.
    "It's a great day to spend down in my shop", says I.
    "OK, but first you have to help me clean the fridge. All the food has to come out, the shelves and bins taken out and washed and the interior of the fridge scrubbed. Then we have to put it all back together", says she.
    " There ain't no way I'm wasting half my morning cleaning the fridge!", I exclaim.

So, after I helped clean the fridge, I went down to my shop.

I got the decks sanded down and taped. No sense spreading black epoxy all over the mahogany. Blue tape seemed like the solution. A friend suggested a coat of cheap varnish to seal the wood that would be sanded off while sanding the seams down. Trouble with that is it's still winter and no ventilation. Fumes would go upstairs and be a bother.
    Spreading the epoxy is a gooey chore, but gloves really do help! I felt like I was tarring the deck!
    I'll give the epoxy a few hours to harden up, then pull the tape while it's still a bit green. Might come up easier then waiting until tomorrow.

Sure is pretty Rich.

Very pretty!
    I can so relate to the tediousness of that whole process.

Can't wait to see the tape pulled!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Can't wait to see the tape pulled!

Kevin
    Here you go! Just pulled the tape and everything is looking fine. I'll let things harden up for a day or two before doing any more sanding. Tomorrow I'll start working on the cockpit sole.

Gorgeous!

Kevin

That looks really nice. Worth the extra taping effort, I'd say.

It turns out that the epoxy did sag a bit into the joints. Not much, but enough that I had to take the belt sander to the entire deck. Everything is now flush and I'll work my way through various grits of paper in the next couple of days. I drilled out all the bung holes and will glue them in next week.

Some of the epoxy is always drawn into the wood, so you have to leave it a bit proud if you want it flush after curing. A heat gun and a scraper makes short work of removing any excess.