Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51415

Thread: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Default Re: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Here's a little side project I've been working on. Every boat with a motor has to have a throttle, right? Now the trolling motor I'm using has the regular twist handle for a throttle, but that would never do on a 19th century design. Time to make a nice wooden one out of khaya wood.
    I cut the twist throttle off the motor head about 2" from the end. Taking a 2" wide piece of khaya, I bored a 1" diameter hole with a Forstner bit 5/8" deep (the wood is 7/8" thick). Next, stand a short piece of the cut off handle tube (liberally waxed) in the hole.

Now, stuff thickened epoxy all around the tube. You'll notice that the tube has one side flattened, so the new handle will grip.

Once dry, grip the tube section with a pair of vice grips and pull out. I had to clamp the wood down and tap lightly upwards with a hammer on the vise grips to get it out.

Next, remove all the wood that doesn't look like a throttle handle, resulting in this:

Here's the throttle handle and motor head.

Here it is in place. All it needs is a set screw to keep it from wriggling off and 6 coats of varnish!

I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Nice, Rich!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I fired up the steamer today and bent the cockpit coamings. The kiln dried red oak, planed down to 1/2", bent with very little effort after one hour and fifteen minutes in the steam box. As you can see, I came up with a different clamping method. There simply isn't enough time to fool around with regular clamps when you only have a few minutes to get the wood bent around the form. My dear wife stood by and slipped in the plywood crosspieces as I bent the wood around. Wedges smacked into place pulled the wood tight to the form.
    Tomorrow we'll see if everything fits in the boat correctly.

In other news, I've milled the upper and lower rub rails including steam bending the ones around the stern. I've put a coat of epoxy on the back as waterproofing and will bed them into place in the next few days. But first, I'll start making the patterns for the planking that runs around the edge of the deck. I know there's a word for them, but I just can't remember! I'm sure I'll remember it as soon as I post this...

Nice work Rich. Great to have that extra pair of hands.

Looks great, Rich.

I took the cockpit coamings off the forms and started fitting them to the boat. It'll take a bit of trimming here and there, but nothing can fit perfectly the first time!.
    Before they get installed, I have to fit and install the deck. Just easier to fit the deck pieces that way. First chore is making patterns for the covering boards (I think that's the correct term) around the edge of the deck. I'll first rough cut them, then install the rub rails and final fit the pieces up against the rub rail.
    Here's step one: laying out pieces of 1/8' lauan for the patterns.

I'm doing the final fitting of the covering boards and will be gluing them down this week. Also milled the deck planking. 3/8"X1-1/2" This is all from Khaya African mahogany. I'll install the rubrails (which are all ready to go), then the decking.

The decks on the original Palmer launches were made of 1-1/4" strips of wood laid tightly together. However, I was so impressed with the look of the deck on dktyson's (kent) D18 Myst Beach Yawl that I will be shamelessly borrowing the method. He laid the strips about 1/8" apart and filled the seams with thickened epoxy colored with black graphite. I'm hoping my deck will come out looking as good as his.

I'm finally attaching pieces to the boat again. Lots of time spent noodling around with all the parts to get perfect (or perfect enough for me...) fits before gluing things for all of eternity.
    Covering boards went on first, followed by the upper and lower rubrails. The rubrails were steam bent awhile ago and put off to the side until yesterday. Everything was epoxied and temporarily screwed. The screws were carefully placed so, once removed, they can be bored out to 3/8" and plugs inserted, mimicking plugged screw holes. I'll be doing the same with the deck planking.

Damn she's pretty!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Damn she's pretty!
    Thanks, Garret. A lot of thought and effort went into the research to find such a pretty hull. I like my boat designs like my classical music. All aspects have to flow together into one harmonious result. No choppy, discordant notes.

What lovely lines, and so well executed. Kudos, Rich.

Rich, it gets better and better...

Fantastic! It really is coming along