Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Default Re: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Work has slowed to a crawl due to other commitments. The stage floor in the parish hall of my church needed rebuilding and, silly me, I volunteered. That pretty much shoots this week and next, then we're off for four days to go to my son's wedding. Once back, I'm having heat pumps installed in my house, so that will clutter things up a bit.
    But, in-between all this, I've been working on getting all the electric wires run for the motor/battery banks.
    I can't believe how I found time to build boats when I was working for a living!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I've got the electric all hooked up. In this photo you see the original speed control head for the motor. I've got two banks of batteries with a switch to go back and forth. Thing on the right is for the battery monitor. I hooked everything up and the motor runs, so all is well.

Rich found this on VTCL. It is glass but might be of interest as it appears to use a trolling motor for power. I like the ability to tilt the motor up out of the way. Also like the canopy/cover. Some good ideas there.
    https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/6153936409.html

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Rich found this on VTCL. It is glass but might be of interest as it appears to use a trolling motor for power. I like the ability to tilt the motor up out of the way. Also like the canopy/cover. Some good ideas there.
    Nice looking little boat. I wonder what the top speed is with that standard trolling prop?

After two weeks of no progress, I'm at it again. My son's wedding was awesome and I can now get back to work.
    Today I wet-sanded the decks and seats with Daly's Seafin Oil. One more wet-sanding with the oil should fill the grain and make a good base for the varnish. The only bother with that stuff is that, after wiping it down, little glossy spots pop up and they have to be re-rubbed to get rid to them. This goes on and on for hours after applying the Daly's. I've read about this and the spots have to wiped down or you'll see those spots through your final finish. I also put on the final coat of white primer on the hull. Things are going to start getting shiny pretty soon with gloss varnish and gloss white paint! In order to make varnishing easier, I'll put a few coats on before installing the coamings.

I've got to collect all my receipts and head off to the Motor Vehicle Dept soon to get this boat registered. Hope it's not too much of a pain. It wasn't 15 years ago, the last time I registered a home-built boat.

Rich, I found it easier to go to Montpelier to register a homebuilt boat than to my local DMV office. The clerk at the local insisted that I list a seller on the registration application and that bugged me so I went to Montpelier and they just went ahead with no problems. Have you applied for a HIN yet? The DMV sent an officer to my house to inspect the boat before they would issue an HIN. They did that with each new build.
    As far as that boat on CL, I would love to see how they handled the tip up of the motor, steering, etc. I still have not tried a model plane prop on mine.
    And congratulations on your son's wedding. Must have been a fun time.
    PS, your boat is looking great.

Rich, I found it easier to go to Montpelier to register a homebuilt boat than to my local DMV office. The clerk at the local insisted that I list a seller on the registration application and that bugged me so I went to Montpelier and they just went ahead with no problems. Have you applied for a HIN yet? The DMV sent an officer to my house to inspect the boat before they would issue an HIN. They did that with each new build.
    As far as that boat on CL, I would love to see how they handled the tip up of the motor, steering, etc. I still have not tried a model plane prop on mine.
    And congratulations on your son's wedding. Must have been a fun time.
    PS, your boat is looking great.
    I registered my Devlin stitch and glue boat probably 15 years ago here in Vermont. Since I wasn't living here at the time, I believe I did it by mail. They issued the HIN without an onsite inspection. I'll try the local office first.

I looked at their website and found it encouraging that a commercially built launch is powered by a common trolling motor. Their 16' boat is powered by a 36 volt 112 lb. thrust motor and drives the boat at 6 mph. Mine is only 80 lb. with a slightly longer waterline. Looks like they are using a standard prop also. It gives me confidence that if I'm not satisfied with my existing got-for-free motor, I can upgrade to the larger one.

The hull painting is now complete and I've got two coats of varnish on the decks. The seats are being done with Sikkens Cetol Teak Finish since I think that will be an easier finish to repair. It will not doubt suffer from the occasional ding here and there. I've got two coats of the matt finish on and will top it off with a gloss coat or two.
    I'll be putting the coamings on next week. As you can see from the photo, the rest of my fleet patiently awaits me.
    I'm going to a surgeon next week to see about a bothersome hernia I have that's getting worse. Hopefully, it won't screw up my entire summer...

Rich - she is looking gorgeous! Hope the hernia thing is not serious. Let us know how the appt. goes.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Beyond beautiful, Rich. Oh,hernia, no fun. Three for me, hopefully no more. Don't let it keep you from Mystic.

Man --she looks great.

Hoping the hernia turns out as well as it can for you.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I looked at their website and found it encouraging that a commercially built launch is powered by a common trolling motor. Their 16' boat is powered by a 36 volt 112 lb. thrust motor and drives the boat at 6 mph. Mine is only 80 lb. with a slightly longer waterline. Looks like they are using a standard prop also. It gives me confidence that if I'm not satisfied with my existing got-for-free motor, I can upgrade to the larger one.

Rich Lady Jane is looking great. Hope your not the jealous type, she may be getting all sorts of glances and cat calls as you cruise the lake.

thinking about your power plant...when you re motor, I wonder about the possibility of putting in a traditional shaft and prop and remotoring with a antique DC motor...

so often the heart of a launch is the power plant, gives the people who are in the launch and cant really enjoy it's beauty as well something to look at and tinker with.

I'm thinking something partially exposed, amidships, with some polished copper or beautiful cast housing...

or

Beyond beautiful, Rich. Oh,hernia, no fun. Three for me, hopefully no more. Don't let it keep you from Mystic.
    This will be hernia surgery #4 for me if it happens. I've been under the surgeon's knife for five other surgeries (all orthopedic). I'm getting a little sick and tired of these guys... Mystic not going to happen again this year. We've got a graduation party to attend.

It's been a good day. I went to get the boat registered and the DMV gods were smiling down upon me. Walked in and was immediately taken care of. I handed the clerk (a nice perky young woman) all the forms needed, my sales receipts for materials and pictures of the boat. Walked out 30 minutes later with my HIN (Hull Identification Number) and my registration. I'll even have a Title of ownership for the boat. No need for a onsite inspection, either. I would have been out of there sooner but the staff very rarely deals with homebuilt boats, so they were scratching their heads over a few things that took some time to figure out.
    Now it's time to make two boards to put the registration numbers on. I'll mount them on the bow with screws instead of sticking the numbers directly to the boat. That will make re-painting the boat easier. The HIN sticker is supposed to be affixed to the transom. But, just where is the 'transom' on a fantail stern? Since it's an unsightly thing, I'll stick the HIN down where the motor tube exits the hull.

You coulda asked then where it goes on a fantail! That would've really gotten some head scratching started.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    You coulda asked then where it goes on a fantail! That would've really gotten some head scratching started.
    Sheesh... If I'd built a true double ender, their heads really would have exploded!!

Glad you had no troubles Rich, very different here even tho all in the same state.

Glad you had no troubles Rich, very different here even tho all in the same state.
    It sure does depend on who you get, eh?

Years ago & different state: In CT you used to (may still have to) get the car inspected @ registration. A friend & I went down to register his recently restored (except for paint) XK150 Jag. It had disc brakes & the emergency brake on them was notoriously bad. The inspector made him pull up on the handle, put it in first & engage the clutch. The car moved a few feet & stalled. "Nope - doesn't pass, bad emergency brake". He waited the required week, went back & several blocks away from motor vehicle, stopped & tightened the brake up until the car would barely move. He then drove to MV, the (different) inspector came out, Dave pulled up on the E Brake handle & the inspector said "Yep - it clicks & stays - you're good", inspected everything else & passed him.
    Last edited by Garret; 06-16-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Back in 1990 when I finished my 20' gaff rigged stadel pilot sloop in New York State, it was required to have an inspector come out and check the boat. He would then assign you a HIN on the spot and engrave it on the upper starboard side of the transom. He took one look at that beautiful mahogany wineglass transom glowing with ten coats of varnish and said " No way am I carving into that beautiful piece of work!" Instead, he put it just under the water line. Nice guy. It probably helped that he was a friend of a friend.

I'm finally getting around to installing the oak coamings I steam bent months ago. Here's the forward section wedged into place.

and screwed in place for good. Hopefully tomorrow will see the aft and middle sections in place.

I installed the aft section of coaming today and made the templates for the mid sections. First, I cut a piece of lauan (a few inches short), tacked it in place and scribed it to the sweep of the shear. Then planed small pieces of pine to the thickness of the coaming and fit these to the ends of the lauan. Glued and clamped overnight and I should have a perfect template after a little shaping of the pine end pieces.
    Tomorrow, I cut oak!
    I'm also making up the lettering boards to mount the registration numbers.

OK, I had a really productive two days. Lots of work in those coamings, but it's very satisfying to see it done.
    Here's one of the patterns laid out on the oak blank.

After a lot of noodling around to make everything flow and be pleasing to the eye, the pieces were fastened in place for good. Screw holes have been plugged and clamps on the glued joints will come off tomorrow.

Last chore of the day was to make oarlock pads. The original boats had oars as backup propulsion as will mine.
    They are all shaped and ready to go. Tomorrow, I'll bore the holes for the oarlocks and glue/screw them into place.

Next up will be making and steaming the 1/2"x3/4" molding that will go around the outside edge of the coamings.
    But, that's enough for today.
    The sun has just set over our woods and it's time to rest.

I'm in need of Emergency Propulsion Units (a pair of oars).
    They have to be cut in half in order to store them in the lockers. Rather then buy a nice pair of oars, and to save $$$, I decided to make my own cheapo set. No need for beauty, just function.
    A while back, someone suggested these carbon fiber connectors from Duckworks made just that this purpose.

I had some air-dried white ash hanging around the shop doing nothing, so I used that for the shafts. Three laminates, the center one being 9/16" to match the thickness of the blade. The outer laminates will go on either side of the blade. Ripped the pieces, glued and clamped. I'll give them a couple of days to dry, then start shaping them. They'll be rounded in the usual way. Blades will be two pieces of 1/4" marine fir ply glued together with edges tapered. The ply is actually just a hair over 1/4" (no doubt metric something or other) and thus add up to the 9/16" thickness mentioned above. Oars will be 8' in length. I'll slop on a couple of coats of white paint and call them done. Hopefully, they'll live their entire life below decks and never see the light of day.

I fiddled around with the oars again today. Also chiseled off all the bungs covering the screw holes on the cockpit coamings. Sanded them nice and smooth. I still have some more edge planing and sanding to make the coamings just so.
    Anyway, back to the oars. Here's the shaft sections taken to eight sides with 16 sides, 32 sides and planing to round to come tomorrow. Also laid my blade pattern on the glued up blade. Blade size and shape was determined by the highly scientific method of "Yeah, that looks about right...).

Greetings,

The H.I.N. has to be 'permanently affixed at the transom on starboard side under the gunwale preferably above the waterline (clearly visible when the boat is in the water, beneath a fitting or item of hardware). Permanently affixed means that if an attempt is made to modify the HIN it would be obvious. It is often burned, etched, carved, or stamped. There is a minimum fonts size I forgot the font size number but it is equal to 1/4 of an inch.

A duplicate if often placed in a concealed location called the 'hidden HIN'. it is often found on a power boat inside a locker near the helm station, and on a sailboat inside a storage compartment in the V-berth, they are often in larger size font painted or written with a marker and then glassed over to meet the permanently affixed requirements.

The HIN is becoming more and more important especially since 2009 now that the police is using it to identify stolen boats, the insurance also now rely on it to positively identify the particular vessel they are insuring.

So you could have difficulties insuring or selling the boat if the HIN is not compliant.

On a fantail the HIN would be just to starboard of centerline or on starboard where the fantail ends and the topsides become parallel to each other.

Cheers,

Alain
    Last edited by Coyote24; 06-27-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote24 View Post
    Greetings,

The H.I.N. has to be 'permanently affixed at the transom on starboard side under the gunwale preferably above the waterline (clearly visible when the boat is in the water, beneath a fitting or item of hardware). Permanently affixed means that if an attempt is made to modify the HIN it would be obvious. It is often burned, etched, carved, or stamped. There is a minimum fonts size I forgot the font size number but it is equal to 1/4 of an inch.

A duplicate if often placed in a concealed location called the 'hidden HIN'. it is often found on a power boat inside a locker near the helm station, and on a sailboat inside a storage compartment in the V-berth, they are often in larger size font painted or written with a marker and then glassed over to meet the permanently affixed requirements.

The HIN is becoming more and more important especially since 2009 now that the police is using it to identify stolen boats, the insurance also now rely on it to positively identify the particular vessel they are insuring.

So you could have difficulties insuring or selling the boat if the HIN is not compliant.

On a fantail the HIN would be just to starboard of centerline or on starboard where the fantail ends and the topsides become parallel to each other.

Cheers,

Alain
    I'm usually a guy who follows the rules to the letter. In this instance, however, I opted not to put the state's big ugly HIN sticker right on the back of that beautiful fantail. The registration numbers on the bow, ruining the sweep of shear, is bad enough. The HIN is tucked down out of normal sight, but any inspector can clearly see it if they look. I've also got it "hidden" on board.

Good evening,
    As a surveyor if there is no HIN the vessel is un-insurable or available for financing without further inspection. the 'ugly' sticker can simply be glassed over as a hidden HIN.
    The HIM needs to be 'engraved' in some way.
    The USA registration no. on the bow is the equivalent of a car licence plate nothing else. no ownership or boat information or ownership history.

Take your chances?

Good evening,
    As a surveyor if there is no HIN the vessel is un-insurable or available for financing without further inspection. the 'ugly' sticker can simply be glassed over as a hidden HIN.
    The HIM needs to be 'engraved' in some way.
    The USA registration no. on the bow is the equivalent of a car licence plate nothing else. no ownership or boat information or ownership history.

Take your chances?
    You bring up an interesting subject. I suppose I could engrave the HIN just above the waterline, down low under the fantail, but it would break the fiberglass and need to be resealed with epoxy. At the moment, I have the hidden HIN written in permanent marker in the boat, but I will now engrave it also in the hidden spot.
    The boat is small enough that it's covered under my homeowner's policy and is not something that would ever need financing. Thanks for the clarity on the need for engraving. What's interesting is that the state never mentions the need to engrave, but just to stick their not-too-permanent sticker to the boat.

It's been a busy morning. The good wife was out at the gym and I had the morning to get my work done before she returns home. Today is our 37th wedding anniversary and I suppose I should come up out of the shop to be with her this afternoon.

Today's task was the steam bending of the oak trim around the cockpit coaming. Everything has to be lined up perfectly so there is no wasted time once I pull a piece out of the steam box. You've got 5 minutes to get it on the boat and totally clamped into place before the wood sets up.

Fiddling with a million clamps would have been too time consuming, so I made up these 'cloth pins' to hold everything in place.

Doing this single handed, I also made a little helper for myself. I clamped these loose fitting 'cloth pins' in place where the trim ends. Running the trim from the steam box, I shove the end of the piece into these without having to fiddle with a clamp or anything. Then I steadily but quickly bent the wood around the coaming, pushing the other cloth pins into place as I went.

I always breath a sigh of relief when a steamed piece of wood goes into place without that dreaded cracking sound.
    Both pieces went on with no problem. 1/2" thick kiln dried red oak bends like a dream.

Now, here's a question: how do you steam a 15' piece of wood in a 9' steam box? Drill a hole in the end.

Each end of this 15' piece is straight, so I simply drilled a hole, shoved the piece through and let a few feet stick out either end, carefully stuffing rags in the openings to keep the steam in.
    I'll let things set up overnight. Tomorrow I'll lightly sand the grain that was raised up during steaming, then glue them into place with PL construction adhesive.
    I've only got two more pieces of wood to go on this boat, centerline trim on the aft and foredeck. After that, it's varnishing, getting it on the trailer and off to the lake!

One way to avoid the big ugly registration number at the bow could be to have the vessel licenced and therefore documented. This then allows you to have a piece of paper in the vessel that identifies it and no need for a number on the bow.
    It is a beautiful fantail and you seem to have a 'collection' of beautiful boats in your shop.
    Cheers,
    a.

One way to avoid the big ugly registration number at the bow could be to have the vessel licenced and therefore documented. This then allows you to have a piece of paper in the vessel that identifies it and no need for a number on the bow.
    It is a beautiful fantail and you seem to have a 'collection' of beautiful boats in your shop.
    Cheers,
    a.
    Documentation would be cool but I thought the boat had to be at least 26' long to do that.
    My collection of boats is collecting a lot of dust right now! I've got to get this boat finished and get the fleet out on the water. The garage and shop can no longer hold all the boats without putting cars in the driveway. We're thinking about some sort of out building to store the boats, lawn tractor and possible firewood. Perhaps a simple pole barn. I'll have to draw something up and price it out. It's either that or sell some boats!

Documentation would be cool but I thought the boat had to be at least 26' long to do that.
    Five tons.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Five tons.

Kevin
    I'd have to throw a whole bunch of rocks in there to reach five tons! Boat would be on the lake bottom long before I got to that point.

Yep, that's five tonnes, which is a measured displacement. For a 'typical' inboard that comes in at about 28 feet. Outboards for some reason have quite a handicap and are eligible at about 24ft.