Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 112021

Thread: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

Default Re: 14th Star: 18' Palmer Fantail Launch

There’s a part of me that would love to build something like this as a live steam project...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    There’s a part of me that would love to build something like this as a live steam project...

Jeff C
    This boat was designed for a one lunger gas engine, so I never envisioned steam. It would be a neat way to go, but I wouldn't have the patience to sit at the launch ramp waiting for steam to come up.
    I'm still pondering re-powering with a 160 lb. thrust motor that MiniKota makes. It's a double 80 lb. thrust pod that usually mounts on a big gas outboard as a trolling motor. I could adapt it to my skeg and add a traditional rudder. It might be a project for next winter. I would like to get to hull speed and that would probably do it. A 5hp Torqueedo pod would be the best answer, but I'd never get the $4500 price tag past my wife! But, you never know. One thing I have to realize is that the "power" for a power boat is the biggest cost involved, sometimes being more expensive then the boat itself.
    As is, the boat chugs along at a comfortable and relaxing speed.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    This boat was designed for a one lunger gas engine, so I never envisioned steam. It would be a neat way to go, but I wouldn't have the patience to sit at the launch ramp waiting for steam to come up.
    I'm still pondering re-powering with a 160 lb. thrust motor that MiniKota makes. It's a double 80 lb. thrust pod that usually mounts on a big gas outboard as a trolling motor. I could adapt it to my skeg and add a traditional rudder. It might be a project for next winter. I would like to get to hull speed and that would probably do it. A 5hp Torqueedo pod would be the best answer, but I'd never get the $4500 price tag past my wife! But, you never know. One thing I have to realize is that the "power" for a power boat is the biggest cost involved, sometimes being more expensive then the boat itself.
    As is, the boat chugs along at a comfortable and relaxing speed.
    Don’t get me wrong—I love your boat just as it is—but I also spend way too much time on YouTube watching videos of steam launches...and it’s easy to forget about the hassle of working with steam when watching a video

Jeff C

Time to bump this to the top so I can find it easily...

Jeff C

Nothing new happening with the boat. It still turns a lot of heads at the launch ramp and whenever I stop at the local beach. I sold a couple of my solo glued lap canoes, so that should finance the new motor and rudder this fall/winter. I didn't get anywhere near what they are worth, but that's the way it is with homebuilt wooden boats.
    The old motor's reverse switch gonked out, so I now have an official excuse to re-power. My wife is onboard with the idea as long as I don't go crazy with the cost (we have our daughter's wedding to deal with next spring. Big bucks there for sure!!).
    While the boat is off the trailer and in my shop, I'll get some welding done on the trailer.
    Today I dropped off a plan for the rudder with the welding guy to get an estimate. I'll either go bronze or stainless, but probably stainless as bronze is really expensive. Since the boat is trailered, no real sense to go bronze.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Thanks for the update, Rich!

Jeff C