Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: PDRacer microcruiser

Default Re: PDRacer microcruiser

I'm not trying to convince anyone that these types of boats are the perfect design. There are lots of better boats you could build. The original designer of Gorfnik wanted a microcruiser that could be built fast and cheap. I'm pretty sure one of these boats was made in a week just before his trip to Florida. This boat can be taken places a larger boat (like Matt Layden's Paradox which Andre also owns) couldn't be launched and being built on a PDRacer hull, the plans are FREE and you can modify them if you want.

It all depends on what you want and how much time and money you are willing to spend to get it. I think this will be perfect for my own needs and wants. Your needs and wants may be different.

I'm happy to see other similar designs showing up.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Apologies SD. Horses for courses. I like it as an exercise in how small can be practical, just not for me. Need a little more room inside.)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Apologies SD. Horses for courses. I like it as an exercise in how small can be practical, just not for me. Need a little more room inside.)
    No problem Andrew. The original design for Gorfnik was designed for the designer who is about my height (short). He did make changes for a taller person but it is still just an 8 foot box. It is roomier inside than I originally thought but it is for one person only.

I, an others, have started to stretch this design out to give it more room inside but I came to the conclusion it is what it is. There is not a lot of 8 foot long microcruiser designs out there to chose from. If you need a bigger boat, there are other designs to chose from.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

P.S. I also designed and built my own one sheet boat (plus some added real wood) which is less than 8 foot long and it is my favorite boat so far. I know there are better and lighter boats that could easily become my favorite but I have this one (and my Gorfnik clone) so run what you brung.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dreams View Post

P.S. I also designed and built my own one sheet boat (plus some added real wood) which is less than 8 foot long and it is my favorite boat so far. I know there are better and lighter boats that could easily become my favorite but I have this one (and my Gorfnik clone) so run what you brung.
    A sailing boat? Pics please!

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyfox View Post
    A sailing boat? Pics please!
    It was supposed to be a sail boat. I have only used the sail in light winds going with the wind but mostly just use it like a kayak.

Here's an album with more pictures and drawings.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

That looks nice! But must be pretty narrow if under 8ft long.
    My first boat was a 6ft pram, no Tyvac then... so the sail, on a short gaff, was a panel out of a parachute. ( Father was in the RAF in WW11) But, I was a lot smaller back then, aged 11. We were going on Holiday, so I worked all hours and got it finished in just over a week. Paint was still wet when it was loaded into the big boat's cockpit for the trip to Falmouth.

Perhaps here's a answer, top speed 12.9 knots.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...;v=v71RTIrDtfs

Thats certainly one reason. I like the way the water surges through the top of the dagger casing at speed!

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    Perhaps here's a answer, top speed 12.9 knots.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...;v=v71RTIrDtfs
    That video makes me wonder if I will be able to keep my Gorfnik clone upright. With the small sail I intend to try first, it shouldn't be a problem. I won't be able to lean out over the side like that though.

Andre never mentioned any problems with his design in keeping it under control so I expect the 12 foot Goose also has a larger sail.

I really need to get my boat out and try it on the water but haven't had the time yet.

There are versions of these with a cabin and I have the plans for Ocean explorer but wanted to be able to sail from inside and not just have a dry place to sleep.

Ocean Explorer

OozeGooze

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 07-08-2016 at 01:52 PM.

That picture brings back a memory........i once built a very boxy tender after losing my inflatable, and a fellow cruiser casually said " if you are using that as a liferaft, when they find your body, all they will need do is nail a lid on your boat......"

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    That picture brings back a memory........i once built a very boxy tender after losing my inflatable, and a fellow cruiser casually said " if you are using that as a liferaft, when they find your body, all they will need do is nail a lid on your boat......"
    The one I built is very comfortable inside especially if you add some cushions. I'd rather be cremated and dumped with the dog and other pets that have passed on than buried in a coffin but if I had to have a viewing, I'd be happy to be "displayed" in a boat I made instead of some fancy coffin.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Hi cobber, one thing I have learned is not to apologise for your existence. It's your money, your dream and your life. Good for you! I have read 'tinkerbelle' about 30 yrs ago and it had never left me. I've even used the book tucked away half hidden in a number of my art paintings which have been long sold. Can I recommend another good read? '500 days at sea' by an Australian who sailed a 12 ft around the globe singlehanded. It like tinkerbelle is easily written. I'm not a long distance dreamer, but I appreciate what can be done in a small vessel. Mine is based on a 12 ft by 6 ft boat I made a living from catching baracuta and net fish out of port Arthur. I would go 14miles out into the Tasman sea in an open boat, not for pleasure but as a commercial fisherman. I've incorporated some of it into this very basic boat. Your boat like my current project will appeal to a very small minority and is sure to offend some, but isn't that half the fun? To that 5% who think like you ...it can be a breath of refreshing air, even an encouragement to have a go themselves. Where it works well or not, so what... It has been a bucket of fun eh? Best wishes ... Cheers DAVE

Bernd Kholer has a nice 13' cruiser in development just now.

Nice cat.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyfox View Post
    Nice cat.
    Yes, but how BIG is the cat? Another forum puts a coffee mug in shot as a scale reference. I hope that feline is a kitten.

13' long

I could actually see something like this as a half practical craft......

Definitely... Possibly with a bit more rag? With the ability to reef? I have a soft spot for anything outside the box... Especially if it horrifies the commadore of the local yacht club! Snigger snigger

More power too the builder/designer if he can make that little cat work. It's extremely hard to keep a multihull that short on the waterline light enough to retain the advantages of the the type. (And I hope those beams and connectives get backed up with a bit more structure.) I do like the asymmetric approach, though.
    -Dave

Bernd Kholer is very experienced. Here is Tiny Tri

http://www.ikarus342000.com/Tinytripage.html

I think i still might have "coffin nightmares" though....might have to leave the washboard out, or replace wood with a clear plastic one. Why am i even thinking about this....DOH!

I think i still might have "coffin nightmares" though....might have to leave the washboard out, or replace wood with a clear plastic one. Why am i even thinking about this....DOH!
    Same reason I am?
    It is cooler and cooler the more you look at it, huh?
    Lots of time and thought, anyway.

Is it a cat, or a proa, though? I'm thinking the hull with the cabin is a little bigger, or is that the tiny phone screen?

Peace,
    Robert

ps I'm a bid dude, so all these micro boats are out for me. Still, with a 10-15% enlargement... Nah, I just like people what make stuff, especially boats, that is different. Especially when it ends up working really well!

I worried about claustrophobia when I made my Gorfnik copy. Windows really make a big difference. Kind of like being inside a very small car.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

I worried about claustrophobia when I made my Gorfnik copy. Windows really make a big difference. Kind of like being inside a very small car.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian
    Ha, im already having flashbacks to being inside my grandfathers fully enclosed sidecar strapped to his Ariel square 4...

Ha, im already having flashbacks to being inside my grandfathers fully enclosed sidecar strapped to his Ariel square 4...

I've never cared for being a passenger on a motorcycle and I never rode in a sidecar but if you didn't like being inside that, you wouldn't like the Gorfnik boat.

Now that you mention sidecars, some of them do have a boat look to them.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Looks like some actually do work as boats.
    Last edited by Sea Dreams; 07-24-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: link

Dad's pride and joy was his maroon Ariel Square Four. Us three kids in the sidecar, mum loved it on the back. Members of the Bradford and District Sidecar Club enjoying the Dales, the coasts and lots of superb fishing.

I've been building my next CRUDE boat and am far enough along now that all the "should have" comments won't matter to me. I know I have built this boat out of non-marine materials and methods and that's how I wanted to build it. Although this is still JUST A PUDDLE DUCK, it is the most detailed boat I have attempted so far.

For those who don't remember, my boat building dreams started when I read Robert Manry's Tinkerbelle boat book. That book and his little boat made me dream of building a small boat with a cabin. I even went to see the actual Tinkerbelle boat in Ohio. I then found out about Matt Layden's designs and bought the Paradox plans and Don Elliot's build manual. Then I found the Ocean Explorer that is similar to a PDRacer with a small cabin for sleeping and bought those plans as well. I never really started on any of those designs.

Then came the magic moment when André-François Bourbeau shared a picture and some details on his own design of a ParaDuck (Paradox-like PDRacer) named Gorfnik.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92281245@N07/20188577740/

This sail-from-inside little microcruiser was exactly what I had been looking for. I immediately started collecting all of the posts with the details of this boat and soon I had some plywood and glue and started making one for myself. Since I knew I was going to make mistakes on this boat and I don't have much "extra" cash, I'm building this one cheap just like my previous boats. I do have dreams of making another one of this design built much nicer but figured I should get a little use out of my cheap build and then will have a full-size model for when I make a nicer one with better materials.

Here's what I got built so far. It has not yet been float tested but I plan to test it out (without the sailing parts) very soon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92281245@N07/21817700475

Eventually there will be free plans available for this design. I had been putting everything I could find about this boat into a PDF book but then, when the original designer offered to help out with the plans, I sent him the files and I have been focussing on building instead of sitting at the computer.

Any interest here?

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

do you think it would be possible to make this boat amphibious?

two wheels on the two lee boards and have them swing forwards, then one on the rudder that could steer.

Anything is possible.

I still haven't tested this boat and haven't done any boating or boat building for a while. I did think about adding wheels through the leeboard holes for moving it around by myself.

Another thought was to have paddle wheels using the same leeboard holes to power this boat from inside. Might be able to combine the two ideas and make it amphibious. Hmm, frogs are amphibians ... I named mine Kinfrog ...

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Anything is possible.

I still haven't tested this boat and haven't done any boating or boat building for a while. I did think about adding wheels through the leeboard holes for moving it around by myself.

Another thought was to have paddle wheels using the same leeboard holes to power this boat from inside. Might be able to combine the two ideas and make it amphibious. Hmm, frogs are amphibians ... I named mine Kinfrog ...

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian
    to peddle it would be amazing, never thought of that. What a great idea. With a wheel on the rudder, you could steer just the same as on the water

is there enough room for peddles inside?

it could combine a peddle boat and when the wheels touch land a tricycle

could even be electric powered tricycle and driving a prop on water.

after seeing those sidecars above, really makes you think. That paraduck could be the ultimate amphibious cruiser, it could be a land yacht, tricycle peddle powered boar/car hybrid, with lights for on the road or water.
    Last edited by Silvertoothtiger; 06-29-2017 at 12:44 PM.

I have seen battery powered drill power things like this, you can get quite powerful hand drills, and a few spare batteries not very expensive.

it could drive a prop on the water, and somehow drive the wheels on land, but I haven't got that part figured out yet.

-

if the wheels can work, then it could even be a little land yacht on a big flat beach in a good wind, under full sail
    Last edited by Silvertoothtiger; 06-29-2017 at 12:42 PM.